Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorRohler
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2018

Hi All,
    My commute recently changed and I'm testing different routes on weekend mornings.
    The old commute ended near Camino Santa Fe & Flanders.
    Home is near Scripps Ranch blvd & Ironwood. New work is near Genesee Ave. & N. Torrey Pines Rd.
    I tried Miramar Rd. > Eastgate Mall > Genesee. Most direct but pretty busy during rush hours and kinda crazy eastbound near Kearny Villa Rd and the 15.
    Today, I took Flanders > Mira Mesa Blvd > Sorrento Valley Rd > Roselle > bike path > Genesee. Dodgey near the 805. Rode home along Carroll Canyon then Fenton but it doesn't connect to Camino Santa Fe. Shame as I was hoping to avoid additional climbing. Would love to hear of something I'm overlooking. The 56 path makes it ~19 miles one way. More than I want.
    Thanks in advance for any ideas.
    Rohler.
    • CommentAuthorJSnook
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2018

You could cut through qcomm land by taking a right at Pacific Heights and then jogging over to Lusk on Barnes Canyon and take Lusk to Vista Sorrento and then Sorrento Valley Blvd. I am assuming you take Gold Coast and then Flanders which is pretty much what I do. I avoid Miramar like the plague.

Another option is to take a left at Pacific Heights and cut over to Carrol Cyn Rd, then take Carrol Cyn Rd. all the way to Sorrento Valley Rd. The reverse of this might be a good option for the return home, since you'd have a bike lane all the way along Sorrento Valley Rd and then a right onto Carrol Cyn. I think the Lusk option above is maybe easier on the way in but not totally sure since I haven't really done it as a commute that I can think of.
    • CommentAuthorRohler
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2018

Thanks for the reply JSnook. Yes Carroll Canyon > Maya Linda > Gold Coast > Flanders, Sorry I omitted that.
    I like the second option you mentioned and will give it a try in a few weeks. I recall noting Pacific Heights being rather steep from Carroll Canyon. But it's short ~0.5 mile.
    Perhaps we have passed each other? Ride a vintage blue Nishiki or a yellow bike with blinkies on the saddle bag?
    Thanks again and happy pedaling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2018 edited

There is a slim chance I could end up working off Carroll Canyon Road, just east of the I15 (Poway).

I was thinking I could multi-modal (I live in Carlsbad) from the Sorrento Valley Coaster Station by biking the 8 miles on Mira Mesa -> Gold Coast Drive.

That would beat the hell of driving on I15. Are the alternative routes that are better? Is the new trolly going to get closer?

Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorgottobike

bikingbill:There is a slim chance I could end up working off Carroll Canyon Road, just east of the I15 (Poway).

I avoid Mira Mesa and that death trap of a Mira Mar Road at all costs, whether driving or cycling. I've found Sorrento Valley Blvd - Calle Cristobal - Camino Ruiz - Gold Coast to be better although some motorists perceive the relatively open stretches on this route as not having any speed limits.
    Or, if you prefer a more 'Cross style riding, the old dirt road through Penasquitos Canyon to Black Mountain Rd would be excellent. That is assuming, of course, that this suburban canyon surrounded by high speed freeways and miles of tract shacks hasn't been declared a wilderness and closed to bicycles.
    The new UCSD Blue Line Trolley doesn't connect to the Sorrento Valley Station. It terminates at Westfield UTC. I think your Mira Mesa Blvd route is the best option. UCSD Blue Line Trolley: MAP

Sorrento Station to Gold Coast Drive
    Mira Mesa Blvd is full of Qualcomm traffic and very busy at the 805 and 15 access points. I'm sure it gets loads of traffic all during the day. It does have rather good bike lanes however (see Jan 11, 2014 Infrastructure Thread). It's a bit of a climb up from the station to the mesa. Once past Camino Santa Fe you could cut south to Flanders Drive to get off of the very busy roadway.

There may be dedicated shuttle buses (private) going in your direction. I don't know if they are shared among differing companies in that area.

Multi-modal Plan B: MTS #973 bus -> transfer to -> MTS #921 bus.

MTS Trip Planner: Sorrento Station to Gold Coast Drive; MAP

You could use the #973 bus to get up and out of the valley and then just pedal easily on the flat mesa the rest of the way east. That lets you avoid the killer 6 lanes of crazy traffic at the 805 and the uphill climb. On rainy days, transfer to the #921 bus to get east.

Going west to the Coaster station is all flat and downhill but the 805 is again very sketchy to navigate. Doable for a student of "Graduate School" for Cycling Savvy. :)

You would have to figure out the most economical MTS Pass/Fare for your needs.
    • CommentAuthorgottobike

Old Knotty Buoy:
    You would have to figure out the most economical MTS Pass/Fare for your needs.

Yes! MTS Senior (60+) Pass/Fare pretty tough to beat:
    https://www.sdmts.com/fares-passes
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2018

Great advice all and that's a good deal on the fares.

Having a shorter ride would favor the Brompton which is far easier to deal with ...