Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2019

Hey all,

I've been riding on 700x38 Panaracer Paselas between 60-80psi for many years and have loved them. A few years back, when Compass started making "wide supple tires", I was intrigued but didn't bother because of the price. Well, I was pretty much right.

I've been riding on some Compass Bon Jon Pass 700x38s and there's a SLIGHT difference in ride quality, but not double the ride quality, which I would hope for when paying twice as much. "Marginal gains" is the apt term here. I'm also not riding as many centuries as I used to, where these marginal gains would be more significant. I am able to run slightly lower pressures (around 50-60), but nowhere near the 35-40psi advised by Compass. Maybe that's for tubeless?

FWIW, I won't be buying another set of Compass tires as the Paselas are perfectly fine for the commuting and occasional long mixed terrain rides I do.

Lastly, I have always been flummoxed that the only place I can get my precious 700x38 Paselas is goddamn Amazon. I have asked several bike shops to order them for me and they don't seem to be able to get them. If anyone has any insight as to how I can get these tires through a local shop, I'd be appreciative.

Happy biking!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2019

The Panaracers I had (abet in 26" size, 559-32) were the fast rolling tires I ever had on my recumbent. I even reviewed them for Amazon:

These tires have amazingly low rolling resistance and their suppleness smooths out the ride. The bike coasts like magic as well. I find myself coasting past folks who are pedaling down slight grades. Amazing,.

Of course I wore thru them in 1000 miles.

The Compass tires I bought afterward (2014) were nice, but above 20mph they made a lot of noise.

That's when I switched to Vittoria Rubino Pro slicks.

The new "Marathon Almotion" look like to be the low-watt winners in the wide (40mm) tire contest. Supposed to have some special low hysteresis compound.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews

The Schwalbe Marathon Almotion is one of the newest tires in the Schwalbe Marathon lineup. Just like the new Marathon Supreme (read review) that I reviewed some time ago, the Almotion uses the very low rolling resistance OneStar compound that is also used on Schwalbe's top of the line road bike tires.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/schwalbe-marathon-almotion-2016
    • CommentAuthoreaton
    • CommentTime4 days ago

Pacific Coast Cycles has Paselas.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTime2 days ago

eaton:Pacific Coast Cycles has Paselas.

700x38? I've spoken with a few shops around town and like I mentioned before, they can't seem to get the 38's.