Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2019

Hey all,

I've been riding on 700x38 Panaracer Paselas between 60-80psi for many years and have loved them. A few years back, when Compass started making "wide supple tires", I was intrigued but didn't bother because of the price. Well, I was pretty much right.

I've been riding on some Compass Bon Jon Pass 700x38s and there's a SLIGHT difference in ride quality, but not double the ride quality, which I would hope for when paying twice as much. "Marginal gains" is the apt term here. I'm also not riding as many centuries as I used to, where these marginal gains would be more significant. I am able to run slightly lower pressures (around 50-60), but nowhere near the 35-40psi advised by Compass. Maybe that's for tubeless?

FWIW, I won't be buying another set of Compass tires as the Paselas are perfectly fine for the commuting and occasional long mixed terrain rides I do.

Lastly, I have always been flummoxed that the only place I can get my precious 700x38 Paselas is goddamn Amazon. I have asked several bike shops to order them for me and they don't seem to be able to get them. If anyone has any insight as to how I can get these tires through a local shop, I'd be appreciative.

Happy biking!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2019

The Panaracers I had (abet in 26" size, 559-32) were the fast rolling tires I ever had on my recumbent. I even reviewed them for Amazon:

These tires have amazingly low rolling resistance and their suppleness smooths out the ride. The bike coasts like magic as well. I find myself coasting past folks who are pedaling down slight grades. Amazing,.

Of course I wore thru them in 1000 miles.

The Compass tires I bought afterward (2014) were nice, but above 20mph they made a lot of noise.

That's when I switched to Vittoria Rubino Pro slicks.

The new "Marathon Almotion" look like to be the low-watt winners in the wide (40mm) tire contest. Supposed to have some special low hysteresis compound.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews

The Schwalbe Marathon Almotion is one of the newest tires in the Schwalbe Marathon lineup. Just like the new Marathon Supreme (read review) that I reviewed some time ago, the Almotion uses the very low rolling resistance OneStar compound that is also used on Schwalbe's top of the line road bike tires.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/schwalbe-marathon-almotion-2016
    • CommentAuthoreaton
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2019

Pacific Coast Cycles has Paselas.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2019

eaton:Pacific Coast Cycles has Paselas.

700x38? I've spoken with a few shops around town and like I mentioned before, they can't seem to get the 38's.
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2019 edited

I got a pair of 37-622 Vittoria Randoneur Pro II tires about three years ago from Chain Reaction cycles. From the reviews I read at the time, this tire was considered very competitive with the Paselas, etc for touring use with high puncture resistance. Although I haven't put huge miles on these, I find them to be really nice tires, comfortable at 45-60 psi, no punctures that I can recall. They don't really feel much slower than the 28-622 Vittoria Rubino Pros that I also have run on the same bike (60-80 psi, although with different wheels, and in actuality the Rubinos are really more like 30 mm wide). My ex-wife has run the Randoneur Pro IIs in 26 x 1.5 (37-559) for many miles and they served her well also, though she did rack up several goathead flats.

Edit: Of course, it doesn't look as if you can get these tires anymore. Not sure what the successor is.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2019

I'm liking the Compass tires. They do ride very nice. Again, not TWICE as nice, but if I were doing a lot of high-milage rides they would be worth it.

I'm also not going tubeless, which is supposed to be better. YMMV
    • CommentAuthoreaton
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2019

t.e.d:

700x38? I've spoken with a few shops around town and like I mentioned before, they can't seem to get the 38's.

Sorry, no. He said he doesn't have demand for 38s but can order them.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2019

eaton:
    t.e.d:

Sorry, no. He said he doesn't have demand for 38s but can order them.

Cool. If he can order them, I'll get them from him then. Thanks. What's his name so I can ask directly?

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthoreaton
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2019 edited

Chuck. 760=967=4900

http://paccoastcycles.com/
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2019

eaton:Chuck. 760=967=4900

eaton:Chuck. 760=967=4900

Thanks so much! Happy riding!