Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009 edited

i just finished my tandem and took it out on it's maiden voyage so i thought i would start a tandem thread. please post photos of your tandems and ride's you've done.

this is a very rare Mountain Goat Lombada tandem. it's the only one like it anyone has ever seen so it may be a one-off. the only other Goat tandem i've ever seen was a mountain bike tandem and this is a touring tandem. it has full touring braze-on's and 48 spoke 4 cross wheels. the brakes are Campagnolo and the rest of the main components have no Shimano at all.

we parked in Solana Beach, got on the train northbound and got off at San Juan Capistrano. we had lunch in a nice outdoor cafe and then started our ride south back to Solana Beach. 45 miles total. these photos are on the Camp Pendleton military base.

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009

Cool thread!

I don't have a tandem, but I am curious about them: I have seen them in all kinds of different frame builds - double top tube (like yours, VC), top tube front - step-through rear, or double step through. Are the double top tube frame a lot stiffer and lighter than the step throughs? And how do you size a tandem - like a regular bike, but separating the measurements for the front and rear rider? If you plan to ride with a regular partner, is it not difficult to find a frame that fits both of you (unless you have the frame built or buy new)? Or does frame sizing matter less for tandems than for singles?

Questions, questions...
    •  
      CommentAuthortawnya

^ I want to know that as well. I want a tandem, but my would-be partner isn't interested.
    •  
      CommentAuthoril Pirati

^ i have the same problem. my stoker doesn't like stoking :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009 edited

Njord Noatun:Cool thread!

I don't have a tandem, but I am curious about them: I have seen them in all kinds of different frame builds - double top tube (like yours, VC), top tube front - step-through rear, or double step through. Are the double top tube frame a lot stiffer and lighter than the step throughs? And how do you size a tandem - like a regular bike, but separating the measurements for the front and rear rider? If you plan to ride with a regular partner, is it not difficult to find a frame that fits both of you (unless you have the frame built or buy new)? Or does frame sizing matter less for tandems than for singles?

Questions, questions...

well, you've bombarded me with lots to answer. i'll see what i can do...

the frame design and how many tubes and where are the frame designers attempt at stiffening the frame up. every builder does it a little different so don't know if you can say there's one style to look for over another. as long as you're getting a quality tandem you shouldn't worry much about the third tube and where it's placed.

step through frames are usually for beach cruiser or tandems that are meant to not be ridden very much. same goes for most womens bikes out there. it's an inferior design for tandems and if you want to ride your tandem longer distanced go with a frame that does not have a step through design. as far as womens frames go for single riders the Mixte design where the top tube goes all the way to the rear drop out's is worth buying.

sizing can be a little strange and i'll try to answer that. in a perfect world you would fit a frame like you would your normal road bike. here's where it gets a little weird: now, if you get a tandem that fits the captain you don't necessarily need the stoker to fit the back end. the captain needs to fit comfortably as if that person is riding a regular bike. the stokers end of the tandem is completely adjustable in every way. the stem and bars can me moved forward and back, the seat can go up and down, basically the stokers position can be manipulated is every way. you can even get a child stoker on an adult tandem by buying a crank adapter. my wife is a size too short for the tandem i have but it still works just fine as everything can be manipulated. does that make any sense?

here's a child setup on a tandem. see how the cranks were moved up? with this setup you can have the tandem grow with the child up through adulthood.

• CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009 edited

I've been thinking of this bike for a long while and eventually would like to get it. I like it because I can relax instead of subjecting myself to back pain. And more importantly have a normal conversation with my husband while riding (instead of yelling "what did you say?" every few minutes over the sound of traffic and wind).

Pricewise the quotes I've seen run into the $2000-2500 range which seems reasonable seeing as it carries two people.

Downside would be if we hit a pothole I'm probably going to be the one tossed forward to get a face plant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009

i don't see any United States distributors. is there someone that will ship one to you?
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

Our '80s Gary Fisher Gemini tandem is the only way to get Jolie to go mountain biking with me these days; she is such a trackie/roadie. We used to totally bomb the single track at Sea Otter. All she has to do is hang on and pedal. Cornering is just like on a motorcycle; lean together and the bike turns itself. She's through with physical therapy now and can ride a mixte on the apron at the track for five miles at a time. By the Swap Meet she wants to be back on her new Colnago Pista again, but I think that's a bit too ambitious.

We are planning a stargazing trip for November 14, 15, 16 (Monday-Wednesday) to the high desert since it looks as if the Leonids might put on a good show again this year on Tuesday night. In 2001 there was a Leonid meteor storm that lit up the sky all night long. We camp near the trailhead of a five mile downhill that is a blast to do as a shuttle trip. The road is sandy and rocky at times, so full MTB is the way to go.
    • CommentAuthorSam

Velo Cult:i don't see any United States distributors. is there someone that will ship one to you?

Haven't really looked into it. Will figure something out when I'm ready to buy one of these bikes.
    Beany, Check out T-RYX in Escondido for the Hase Picollo tandem. Hoppy owns the store and I think he's working on getting a demo for his store. He also has a Facebook fan page.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009 edited

Finally, my son's legs can reach the pedals on our BikeFriday tandem. I took this shot prior to the Halloween CM. I strapped on the 50 Watt JVC boombox + 12V battery starter + inverter. We rode with the mass until we reached Liberty station, stopped at Starbucks, then returned to Balboa Park.

bike

Recent Ride with SDBIKECOMMUTERS (Jan 2009 met the group in Carlsbad and rode to San Diego)
    bike2
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorBev
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2010

Beany - I want/need one of those Pino tandem things!! They are fab! But the pricing that I just checked out on their site, mind you it was listed in € w/ 19% VAT added, was considerably higher than the numbers you had in mind. Perhaps if you found a dealer here the numbers might be different, but converting the € to US $ and subtracting out the VAT I calculate that they run $4,173 - $5,825 (low end model - high end model). Ouch! But one can dream...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2012

A friend of mine showed off his restored Schwinn "beach" tandem to me today:

•  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2012

Nice Sigurd! Way to refresh this thread. Getting close to three years since we last saw a tandem on the front page!