Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2012

Here's a little more info.

http://www.10news.com/news/bicyclist-struck-by-san-diego-police-car

Sounds to me like no lights and erratic riding, not the cop's fault.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2012 edited

Bike thief gets a can of whoop ass opened on him:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-accused-bike-thief-beaten-20121115,0,5102328.story

A 30-year-old man was tackled and received blows to the face, but he's no crime victim, Fort Lauderdale police say.

Keith Kirk appeared in court Thursday with blackened, swollen eyes and stitches between the brows. He is accused of stealing a bicycle about noon Wednesday outside the One Stop Food Mart at 18 NW First Ave. in Fort Lauderdale.

The beatdown was delivered by the bike's owner, Calvin McDougal of Lauderhill, according to a police report. The two men got into a fight when McDougal chased after Kirk to retrieve his $600 bicycle.

"I believe there was a little bit more than just a tackle," Broward County Judge John "Jay" Hurley said Thursday during Kirk's hearing in first appearance court. "Now, sir, you allegedly steal someone's bike and it looks like there was some street justice carried out."

Kirk was charged with grand theft and released on his own recognizance.

(bike rider not charged)
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2012

Hop in the Saddle book release party

Velo Cult bike shop hosted a hoppin' party last night as a huge crowd turned out to help launch the bike book: Hop in the Saddle: A Guide to Portland's Craft Beer Scene, by Bike.... It's exciting how Velo Cult has lived up to their promises of becoming so much more than a bike shop.

Yeah, go ahead and rub it in...
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2012

CNN covers a Georgia Tweed Ride and the growing movement toward the bicycle as an everyday means of transportation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2012 edited

• CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2012

Anti-bike Toronto mayor Rob Ford is on the outs. It seems he violated a conflict of interest rule:

http://www.thestar.com/topic/robford

and since I like kicking jackasses while they're down, here's a funny animated GIF of him:

From MSNBC.com

Judge Rejects San Diego County Transit Plan: Report
    San Diego County governments may have to redraw a nearly $200 billion plan that lays out transportation projects for the next 40 years.

A county judge ruled this week that the plan doesn't meet state environmental laws on reducing greenhouse gas emissions, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.

The plan, adopted by the San Diego Association of Governments, calls for meeting transportation needs in the growing county with 130 new highway lanes, 156 miles of trolley service and nearly $4 billion in bike and pedestrian projects.

It was challenged by preservation groups and state Attorney General Kamala Harris.

Colleen Windsor, a spokeswoman for the San Diego Association of Governments, said the group feels the plan does meet state requirements. The group's board will meet Friday to discuss the ruling.
    • CommentAuthorJSnook
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2012

Feels good to see SANDAG get slapped by Kamala and all. I've commented on the SANDAG plans during their open comment period in years past to the effect that they just paid lip service to everything but automobiles. The bicycle portions of their past documents were a riot - literally nothing meaningful or for which they could be held accountable. It was all fluff. Anyways, I hope our Attorney General and the rest hold their feet to the fire and really don't back down - SANDAG is a joke and needs to be upended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2012

The story KPBS ran yesterday stated that it was likely that SANDAG would appeal the decision for another round through the courts.

I don't understand - if your work is found to be lacking, why not just go back to the drawing board and fix it?
    • CommentAuthorSerge2

I presume SANDAG disagrees with the "lacking" assessment of their work.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé

Sigurd:I don't understand - if your work is found to be lacking, why not just go back to the drawing board and fix it?
    Ego
    Off Topic but just saying that you can't out run a train. Tragedy. I've crossed this tracks so many times in the last 4 years in different modes of transport.
    http://www.cbs8.com/story/20299428/tow-truck-driver-killed-by-amtrak-train-in-cardiff-idd
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2012

I got this via email. New stop sign at Aldine Dr and Monroe Ave
    I am emailing you to let you and your community know that at some point in the next few months the City will be installing an All Way Stop in Talmadge at the intersection of Aldine Drive and Monroe Avenue.

Over the past 3 years there have been 13 reported accidents at this location, far above Council Policy 200-08 requirement for 5 accidents over 3 years to justify such a measure.

I thought City Heights should be informed because the consequent queuing of cars on Monroe Avenue will probably divert many City Heights drivers away from Monroe-Aldine and onto ECB-Fairmount. The change in driving behavior at the Euclid - ECB intersection will probably lead to service failures at that intersection as far more northbound drivers attempt unprotected left turns westward onto ECB. My guess is it will be worst during the morning commute.

I wanted to keep City Heights in the loop.

Regards,
    David Moty
    Chair, Kensington-Talmadge Planning Group
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2012

markphilips:Off Topic but just saying that you can't out run a train. Tragedy. I've crossed this tracks so many times in the last 4 years in different modes of transport.
    http://www.cbs8.com/story/20299428/tow-truck-driver-killed-by-amtrak-train-in-cardiff-idd
    Trains are not to be messed with. By the time the most attentive train driver sees something on the track, it's long past too late to be able to stop.
    • CommentAuthorbilld

Sam:I got this via email. New stop sign at Aldine Dr and Monroe Ave
    Sounds good.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé

The Tweed ride made the San Diego Reader today
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2012

• CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2012

Thanks to Hans and OKB for showing up at the press event for the new bike counting system. Here's the report by KPBS and KFMB
    Are there any numbers as of yet? Or when did the counting start?
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2012

sykkelspruce:Are there any numbers as of yet? Or when did the counting start?

The counters have all been in for at least three months and the data is streaming in around the clock, but Sherry Ryan at SDSU's Active Transportation Research is still working on how to publish the data in a useful way.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2012

Is that a bike counter I have seen on University Ave between Vermont and Richmond on the eastbound side?
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2012

Probably is sd_mike. Look for a diamond-shaped cut in the pavement. On university there should be two diamonds cover a wider area.
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2012

• CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012

From the link above:

"What's a bike boulevard? Hanshaw said that's a side street with light traffic where bicycles are given priority over cars."

I though a bike boulevard was a bike-specific road - no cars. Guess I had that one wrong?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjacobk

I think bike-specific roads might just be considered separate bike / multi-use paths. As I understand it, bike boulevards allow local car traffic (people living on the street) but discourage through traffic by blocking turns in some directions off of main streets while still allowing bicycles to travel through.

Some good wikipedia articles:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_boulevard
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segregated_cycle_facilities
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

A-ha!
    Thanks. Guess I should google this things, eh? :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

Victim Finds Hit-and-Run Driver. Famed bicyclist Don Ward tracked lobbyist Glenn Gritzner to a body shop...
    In the end, Gritzner didn't pay much for his crime and cover-up. He was charged with "misdemeanor property damage" by the L.A. City Attorney, who couldn't get excited about a hit-and-run in which no bones were broken — that would be a felony. According to Ward, Gritzner only had to pay a $500 fine and pick up trash for 30 days.
    ... justice?
    Two reports from KPBS Radio that discuss the recent announcement about the "Bikes Count" program.

December 19, 2012 ~ Counting Bike Trips Could Get More People To Pedal.

December 20, 2012 ~ Why Are San Diego State Researchers Counting Bicyclists?
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2012

And the honeymoon is already over as Filner caves to urbanites car culture.
    • CommentAuthorbilld

• CommentAuthorbilld

LeBron James rides a bike to some Heat games

Best comment so far:

OH MY GOD PEOPLE RIDE BICYCLES HOW INCREDIBLY STRANGE
    • CommentAuthorJSnook
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2012

VeloCafé:And the honeymoon is already over as Filner caves to urbanites car culture.

I take issue with the headline and calling these people NIMBYs. The reality is they are primary stakeholders in that neighborhood, and weren't treated as such. Most likely if the city/developers came to them earlier with a story and vision for the project, they would have got them on board. I've seen this same lack of basic management and leadership skills play out in my neighborhood, where developers got a significant project approved which was later canned after a community uprising. Calling residents or business owners of a neighborhood NIMBYs seems a bit out-dated and arrogant. It's a shame when these projects which would be positive for these neighborhoods get sunk due to poor leadership.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

billd:LeBron James rides a bike to some Heat games

Best comment so far:

OH MY GOD PEOPLE RIDE BICYCLES HOW INCREDIBLY STRANGE

McLovin sent me that article and I thought "Awwww, how adorable....he went ALL Saturday without using one drop of gas!!!"
    Too funny that they think because he commutes on his bike that he is now TdF material. :)
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

JSnook:
    VeloCafé:And the honeymoon is already over as Filner caves to urbanites car culture.

I take issue with the headline and calling these people NIMBYs. The reality is they are primary stakeholders in that neighborhood, and weren't treated as such. Most likely if the city/developers came to them earlier with a story and vision for the project, they would have got them on board. I've seen this same lack of basic management and leadership skills play out in my neighborhood, where developers got a significant project approved which was later canned after a community uprising. Calling residents or business owners of a neighborhood NIMBYs seems a bit out-dated and arrogant. It's a shame when these projects which would be positive for these neighborhoods get sunk due to poor leadership.

What is a NIMBY?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

Not In My Back Yard
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

Ah. Thanks.
    That is a lot of bikes! Could they ride their bikes to school?

80 kids get new bikes, helmets
    Posted: Dec 21, 2012 6:31 PM PST Updated: Dec 21, 2012 6:42 PM PST

CHULA VISTA (CBS 8) - Some local children got an early Christmas Gift Friday - a new bike.

Chula Vista BMX teamed up with the YMCA to give 80 bikes to 80 kids at the US Olympic Training Center.

The kids also received bike helmets and Chula Vista firefighters were on hand to make sure each child's helmet fit properly.

After they received their bikes, the kids attended a bike safety training session and were able to try out their new wheels.

Organizers say they hope the bikes will help the kids stay active and healthy.
    • CommentAuthorVeloCafé
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2012 edited

JSnook: I take issue with the headline and calling these people NIMBYs. The reality is they are primary stakeholders in that neighborhood, and weren't treated as such. Most likely if the city/developers came to them earlier with a story and vision for the project, they would have got them on board.
    This project had been in the works for awhile and notice WAS given from several sources for people to give their input and speak on the matter. How many of these "primary stakeholders in the neighborhood" spoke up then? How many of them regularly attend neighborhood planning and council meetings? How many of them probably didn't care until it was in their back yard. Hence, NIMBYs.

Cyclists sharing transit only lanes with buses may not be ideal but a shared transit/bicycle lane would be a great improvement over what's there today. I'll take sharing a lane with busses that come every 10 min as opposed to a general purpose lane any day of the week.
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2012

From the video, Sherry Ryan mentioned that "some of the coastal cities have between 2000-3000 cyclists a day" at 3:20.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2012

SANDAG seeks biking input

Transportation groups present included Walk San Diego, BikeSD, Move San Diego and Great Streets San Diego. Greater North Park, Uptown Centre City, Old Town and Balboa Park planning committees also took part as stakeholder groups.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2012

That SUCKS! While having the raised median would preclude me from turning onto NB Alabama from EB University, I was looking forward to having that there. That is a bad intersection with too many in cars taking too many chances.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

Cyclists sharing transit only lanes with buses may not be ideal but a shared transit/bicycle lane would be a great improvement over what's there today. I'll take sharing a lane with busses that come every 10 min as opposed to a general purpose lane any day of the week.

Sharing a lane can be done and can be done quite easily. On my 2009 bike tour through Washington, I followed old US 99. A long portion south of Seattle as far as Federal Way was six lanes with a "HOV" lane on the outside lane. This meant buses for the most part, as I was riding in the morning against traffic. It was the easiest and nicest ride through a major city on a major street I'd ever been on. I took the lane most of the time with NO issues.
    • CommentAuthorShady John

• CommentAuthorVeloCafé

Just saw a promo blurb on NBC7/39 about a story on Critical Mass coming up on the News @ 11PM and "ways to solve it". I tried searching the website but couldn't find anything. Hope to make it home tonight in time to see what they have to say - or if someone watches it could they report back?
    • CommentAuthorJayKay
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2012

I saw the nbc piece. Apparently some guy with a political background, Anthony Wagner, has focused on the police cost to accompany the ride. NBC partner, VOSD has printed his letter to editor on the topic.

http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/opinion/article_4cd4e324-4bf2-11e2-99f6-0019bb2963f4.html#.UNyMrL8s-Ek.twitter

Very suprised this lead the newscast. must be slow newsday
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2012 edited

I guess Wagner is aspiring to be the Ann Coulter of the San Diego cycling culture. So many things wrong in one piece...where to start? Going to try to offer a rebuttal today.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2012 edited

This would be a good comment to leave in that article:

Mikael's recent TedX talk mentioned this

Good design also improves human behaviour. I hear the same thing all over the world. Those damn cyclists. Breaking the law, running red lights, riding on sidewalks. Shaking the very foundations of our society with their behaviour. Well, I have one, simple response to that. Those cyclists haven't been given adequate infrastructure – or worse... none at all. Not to mention the fact that they are forced to abide by car-centric laws.
    • CommentAuthorSerge2
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2012

<blockquote>Those cyclists haven't been given adequate infrastructure – or worse... none at all. Not to mention the fact that they are forced to abide by car-centric laws.</blockquote>

Roadway infrastructure is mostly outstanding for bicycling. The biggest problem, at least in San Diego, is poor surface maintenance.

The traffic laws bicyclists are forced to abide by were created before the advent of cars.