Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2016

I've never really had problems in Orange County when I've gone riding there. Usually, it is a fairly smooth ride. There are parts of San Diego County that I've fared far different though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2016

From Newport Beach thru Laguna and Dana Point are far worse than anywhere I've ridden in San Diego County. OC is hell.
    Second Paul. Horrible riding along the coast in Laguna, etc.
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2016

• CommentAuthorfjl307
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2016

More crocodile tears from local bike rental shops in PB, this time the guy claims, he's lost 120k over the past two years thanks to Decobike even though Decobike stations haven't been in the beach communities for that amount of time.
    http://www.sdnews.com/view/full_story/27293664/article-Rental-bike-battle-continues-in-coastal-communities-?instance=most_popular1

Two months ago, in a similar article he claimed he lost 60k.
    http://www.sdnews.com/view/full_story/27251741/article-Locally-owned-bike-rental-shops-affected-by-DecoBike-?
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2016

• CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2016

• CommentAuthorfjl307
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2016 edited

synthetic:surprised this hasnt been posted here yet:

http://www.10news.com/news/angry-driver-knocks-local-radio-host-off-his-bicycle-during-charity-ride

I thought it was an April Fool's joke at first when I saw it came from 10news. I recall their "bicycle mob" article from awhile ago http://www.10news.com/news/driver-bicyclists-tussle-in-normal-heights

On another note, Carlsbad PD only started investigating this as an actual assault against the cyclist once people starting bombarding them via social media. And this whole thing only got coverage anyways because it was a radio DJ who was hit. If if were anybody else it wouldn't be news except maybe on here and in cycling websites.
    • CommentAuthorJSnook
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2016

Collision at Uni and 47th http://www.10news.com/news/bicyclist-hit-on-university-avenue

Seems like there are a lot of collisions with pedestrians and cyclists on University and ECB in City Heights.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2016 edited

It also looks like that one was completely avoidable for the cyclist. Running stop signs is simply dumb for so many reasons. That would be one of them.
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2016

Posting this here:

On Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 3:31:15 PM UTC-8, xxxx wrote:
    Dear Bicycling Friends in San Diego:

Be careful bicycling the Rose Canyon area, especially at night. Three
    times in the past two months I've come across creative rearrangement of
    the cones and barricades along the bypass, seemingly meant to cause
    consternation and crashes. Whoever is doing this is getting more artful.
    The first version was just cones tossed on their sides. The second
    version feature cones and controls moved to the middle of the path
    before the ridges, almost designed to force the unwary off the road
    and down into the creek. The latest version, just this morning, featured
    barricades on their sides, ready to trap and crash unwary riders,
    especially at night (I've a REAL early shift this week).

The construction and traffic control people have been at pains to
    correct this vandalism (for lack of a better word) of temporary traffic
    controls, but they're not on hand at 5 or 6 AM. I wish whoever is doing
    it would switch to changing the lights to warn "Godzilla attack ahead"
    instead of setting bike traps that can seriously injure people.
    • CommentAuthorsynthetic
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2016

my bike stolen. ace parking garage by hilton bayfront downtown. video:

mares focus cx

Kandiss Crone @10NewsCrone

Two bicyclists injured in Clairemont collision
    One suffered multiple skull fractures
    10News.com

Clairemont Mesa Bike Crash Sends 2 to Scripps Memorial Hospital
    Ken Stone ~ November 30, 2016 timesofsandiego.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2016

I really hope they will update the story with some more details on how this happened. Scary stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2016

Regardless of what happened in this instance, speed limits and actual speeds are dangerously excessive on Balboa Ave (as is the case on most other multi-lane feeder streets in this city).
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2016

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2016

London will spend a record $1 billion on improving bike infrastructure

While Copenhagen continues to be a worldwide leader in cycling—the number of bikes in the Danish capital recently surpassed cars in fact—London is busy playing catch up.

Earlier this week, newly-elected London mayor Sadiq Khan announced that a record £154 million (roughly $194 million) per year will go toward cycling improvements over the next five years. This investment will take up 5.5 percent of the Transport for London (TfL) budget, more than double the 2.4 percent spent during former mayor Boris Johnson’s last term. All divvied up, that would mean about $22 per person per year, which is comparable to what’s being spent in leading cycling countries like Denmark and the Netherlands.

According to the statement, the city hopes to get 1.5 million bike trips per day by 2026 and the plan is to get there with more bike lanes, pedestrian crossings, increased sidewalk space, not to mention two new “Cycle Superhighways.” These structures will help commuters cover long distances on bikes.

"Making cycling safe and easier can provide huge benefits for us all—improving our health, cleaning up our toxic air, and helping tackle congestion,” says Khan.

This isn’t the only sustainability-minded news coming out of the English capital lately. Last week, Khan also announced that, effective immediately, all single-decker buses will be emissions-free, powered by hydrogen fuel cells instead of gas.
    • CommentAuthorRohler
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2017

Inspirational.
    [[_linker_]]
    • CommentAuthorfjl307
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2017

Uber/Lyft driver harassing a cyclist in MV recently.
    http://sf.streetsblog.org/2017/01/03/an-open-letter-to-uber-to-kick-off-2017/
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2017

OC may stink for cycling in Laguna, but Irvine has some of the best cycling accommodations in California.
    • CommentAuthorrandomjive
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2017

Ikea's belt-drive bike with disk brakes is now available. If you're an Ikea Family member(free to sign up), they take $100 off. Thoughts?
    • CommentAuthorerik

randomjive:Ikea's belt-drive bike with disk brakes is now available. If you're an Ikea Family member(free to sign up), they take $100 off. Thoughts?
    I was really intrigued by this one when I saw it in the back of a recent Ikea catalogue. I think it looks reasonably equipped for the price, although a 2 speeds might be a little poor for getting around San Diego's partcular environment (who wants to carry their Ikea goods back up into North Park from the Ikea in Mission Valley on that thing?) A belt drive and front disk for $400 is not nothing, if the frame quality is decent. It might take off in flatter territories.

I am more interested to see their accessories. They have and attractive looking little trailer and set of racks that might be worth something, if sturdy.

I think the frame must be made of particle board, and I imagine it comes packed flat in a cardboard box. On the plus side, assembly can be done with a single 4 mm hex wrench and a Phillips screwdriver.
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2017

How do cyclists feel about this?

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2017/jan/30/lawyer-calls-traffic-fines-punishment-poor/

On the one hand, I have sympathy for people who basically lost the lottery--nearly every motor vehicle driver out there violates the law in one way or another, and these poor bastards are the unlucky ones who got caught. From their point of view, they were just going about their lives doing what everybody does, and then they fell down a rabbit hole...

On the other hand, as a cyclist I think every driver bears an absolute responsibility to drive responsibly. The fact that most people get away with driving irresponsibly (and many get away with what amounts to murder) doesn't take away the issue of personal responsibility. If you were guilty and you got caught, suffer the consequences.

What do you think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCornelia
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2017

Shady John:How do cyclists feel about this?

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2017/jan/30/lawyer-calls-traffic-fines-punishment-poor/

On the one hand, I have sympathy for people who basically lost the lottery--nearly every motor vehicle driver out there violates the law in one way or another, and these poor bastards are the unlucky ones who got caught. From their point of view, they were just going about their lives doing what everybody does, and then they fell down a rabbit hole...

On the other hand, as a cyclist I think every driver bears an absolute responsibility to drive responsibly. The fact that most people get away with driving irresponsibly (and many get away with what amounts to murder) doesn't take away the issue of personal responsibility. If you were guilty and you got caught, suffer the consequences.

What do you think?

First of all, I wouldn't consider anybody being able to own and drive a car "poor". For the ticket itself, I have empathy for people making mistakes but you don't pick up your phone and talk to mom by accident. This is BS. He needs to get his priorities straight and start taking responsibility for his actions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2017

Cornelia:

What do you think?

First of all, I wouldn't consider anybody being able to own and drive a car "poor". For the ticket itself, I have empathy for people making mistakes but you don't pick up your phone and talk to mom by accident. This is BS. He needs to get his priorities straight and start taking responsibility for his actions.

I am with you here. For some reason I was able to drive on three continents for over 30 years without ever getting a ticket. It is not that hard.

I do agree, however, that the tacking on of fees and punishments is not cool. Almost like airline tickets.

If the ticket says $100, that's what you should have to pay to settle it. And some of the other ways to stack the charges, like towing and impounding, can sometimes seem rather random and unfair.
    • CommentAuthorerik
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2017

What do you think?

I think being reasonable about payment methods, reductions, and avoidance of tacked-on fees and hidden costs is important, but on a basic level I think we need more tickets given out, not fewer. It is hard to define, but I feel strongly that more traffic enforcement is required in San Diego to increase safety on the streets.

On a related note; one of the anti-death penalty arguments is that the death penalty does not dissuade criminals. There is quite a bit of research that indicates that the likelihood of getting caught dissuades people more than the severity of the punishment. Let's give out more tickets with lower fines! Easier for poor people to pay; just as much inconvenience for wealthy people (which is honestly more of the punishment for anyone driving a nice expensive car).
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

Cornelia:

What do you think?

Perhaps not in the third world sense but most of the working poor in San Diego own cars and I can assure you that they are indeed poor. Look around the areas leading to Fiesta Island and you will see people living in their vehicles and using storage facilities while they try to regain their feet.

I wonder how many of you listened to the story. Local governments have long used punitive fees to fill their coffers and it has nothing to do any kind of enforcement priorities. This wasn't a cyclist v vehicle story, John - it is an exposition of a shady practice municipalities use against the relatively defenseless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Maybe something for the City of San Diego to consider in order to meet the requirements of the law mandated Climate Action Plan: "Oslo Offers Citizens $1,200 to Buy an E-Bike."
    Call to Action issued by La Jollans in DecoBike fight: Opponents asked to write City Council, Mayor's office
    By Ashley Mackin ~ lajollalight.com
    Concerned residents from La Jolla, Mission Beach and Pacific Beach gathered at La Jolla Community Center Jan. 30 to unanimously speak out against DecoBike, the City’s bike share program. DecoBike kiosks have not been installed in 92037, but the plan is to place 12-14 stands throughout La Jolla, Bird Rock and La Jolla Shores. The installation date is pending.

Letters to the Editor from the Feb. 2, 2017 issue of La Jolla Light as La Jollans speak out on local issues:

The changes in town are disturbing ...

Fellow La Jollans, after reading the Jan. 19, 2017 issue of La Jolla Light, I was shocked and alarmed to learn that our fair town is under siege by land, air and sea. No other community of San Diego faces such a combination of horrors: the threat of DecoBikes prowling our palm tree-lined lanes; seals and sea lions commandeering our best beaches and bringing hordes of tourists that flood our shops and restaurants; flotillas of commercial airplanes buzzing our homes. "...what would Dr. Seuss tell us to do?"

I can't tell if this is hyperbole, sarcasm, humor or if this guy is really serious. Nuts, or way too subtle?

EDIT: Related story from CityLab;
    The Four Horsemen of the Bike Share Apocalypse
    What kept Seattle’s Pronto! bike share program from thriving? Turns out it was several things.
    Andrew Small Jan 31, 2017 citylab.com
    • CommentAuthorerik
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2017

... bringing hordes of tourists that flood our shops and restaurants...

"People, we need to fight back against the strong flow of customers coming to our local businesses!"

I wonder how business owners in that area feel?
    • CommentAuthorfjl307
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2017

Coronado brewing announces plans for new brewpub and distillery
    Beer for the literal South Bay
    Ian Anderson, March 3, 2017 sandiegoreader.com
    The location of the brewery also sits on the southern loop of the Bayshore Bikeway, an ongoing SANDAG project to construct 24 miles of dedicated bike paths circumnavigating the bay, and connecting via ferry between Coronado and downtown. (MAP)

While Coronado brewing sets a target date for the restaurant and brewery to open as spring or summer of 2018, it will activate the place as a retail location in time for summer 2017. "We plan on having a mobile beer trailer with 18-20 taps, food trucks, and plenty of outdoor seating," says Chapman.

Miramar Marines to reopen Stowe Trail for bikes
    "Everybody has to go through the permit process. No exceptions.”
    By Julie Stalmer, March 20, 2017 sandiegoreader.com
    The old Stowe Trail that has connected Santee to Poway for more than 100 years is slated to open back up in mid-April. The trail travels along the eastern side of Marine Corps Air Station Miramar.

According to Susie Murphy, executive director of San Diego Mountain Biking Association, the trail has been used by mountain bikers for at least 30 years.

Rouleur pedals into Carlsbad
    Cycling enthusiast plans a tour de flavor in his brewery
    by Ian Anderson April 3, 2017 ~ sandiegoreader.com
    "I'm way into cycling and way into beer," says Rawley Macias, brewer and sole proprietor of Rouleur Brewing Company, the latest craft beer maker to open in Carlsbad's budding scene. While the branding of Macias's startup reflects his cycling interest, it also suggests his broader approach to making beer.

"That's a type of cycling, a Rouleur," he says, "It's a French word for an all-arounder, a rider who's good at all aspects of cycling," ranging from short sprints to long-distance races. "I like to do a lot of hybrid beers," Macias explains, "I don't stick to one style."

Pershing Bikeway project pedals forward
    April 7th, 2017 By Dave Schwab sduptownnews.com
    Making Uptown more friendly for bicyclists and pedestrians is a challenging goal drawing nearer to fruition as the San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) heads into final design on the proposed Pershing Bikeway project, with construction expected to begin in late 2018.

The Pershing Bikeway will provide an enhanced 2.6-mile bikeway along Pershing Drive, with dedicated bikeway and pedestrian facilities in North Park, Golden Hill, Downtown and Balboa Park.

The project will include buffered bike lanes, a two-way separated bikeway and an adjacent walking path. The project also features traffic-calming measures to make the roadway safer for both drivers and pedestrians.

SANDAG, San Diego’s regional transportation planning agency, on Jan. 20 approved an environmental exemption for the Pershing Bikeway project from the California Environmental Quality Act.

“The project just doesn’t have any environmental consequences that rise to the level of being considered impactful,” said Chris Carterette, SANDAG project manager specializing in active transportation. “It doesn’t cause any environmental effects to sensitive habitats or archaeological resources, or make any changes that require some kind of mitigation.”
    MTS debuts new app for buying tickets
    04/09/17 sdnews.com
    On March 30, the Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) and the North County Transit District (NCTD) rolled out a new app called Compass Cloud, which can be used with both transit systems. Compass Cloud is free to download on any smartphone and allows riders to purchase tickets much easier.
    SDMTS Compass Cloud
    Compass Cloud allows you to purchase one and 30-day passes right from your smartphone and use them immediately.

SD MTS
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2017

These are great updates.

Thanks, OKB!
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2017 edited

t.e.d:These are great updates.

Thanks, OKB!

Correct, t.e.d.
    Great updates from OKB, yes.
    However, I keep looking up and can't help but think there is something missing from these OKB posts.
    Just sayin...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2017

gottobike:
    However, I keep looking up and can't help but think there is something missing from these OKB posts.
    Agreed. I have noticed a bunch of stars twirling around the moon lately, but have no idea...
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2017

•  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2017 edited

Along the same lines...

Douglas Adams
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2017

•  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Apologies for forgetting to quote in my first draft. I fixed it.

I actually used that Douglas Adams quote as a foreword to my thesis. My committee was in approval.
    Thanks to all you stellar cyclist,

I'm intrigued by the heightened interest in the starry sky. My celestial posts are for fun and to highlight the joy of being outside, on a bicycle and enjoying the wonders of our natural world. (Outside with coffee is good too!)

Sometimes the stars and planets align in beautiful ways. Other times they can seem ordinary and mundane. Not much has been happening lately and we're soon to begin the seasonal low clouds of May grey and June gloom.

Venus has transitioned to the early dawn in the east (now the "morning star"). Mars is very faint as is Saturn. With a nod to Sigurd, the Moon just passed a very bright Jupiter on Monday and Tuesday, thus the "twirling about" you noticed.

I'll post again when the stars align with something more eye catching.

In the meantime, there is more down to earth news that I've gleaned from local media (see below). I've got a feeling that 2017 will be a very productive year for continued planning and implementation of bicycle infrastructure. Many projects first conceptualized five years ago are coming to fruition with more on the way. Even with headwinds and steep grades, continually spinning toward the goals is raison d'être. The journey is the destination!
    Torrey Pines Road Corridor Phase 2 to begin this fall
    Ashley Mackin April 12, 2017 lajollalight.com
    Although it was not on the agenda and there was no public notice, an in-depth presentation on the Phase 2 of the Torrey Pines Road Corridor Project — set to begin this fall and be completed by Memorial Day 2018 — was given at the April 6 La Jolla Community Planning Association (LJCPA) meeting at the Rec Center.

Bliss explained that the Corridor Project will create continuity of the sidewalk and buffered bike lanes on both sides of Torrey Pines Road between Prospect Place and La Jolla Shores Drive, among other safety-oriented additions.

“Phase 2 is going to put a sidewalk in on the south side of Torrey Pines Road between Amalfi and Hillside and … we are going to put in a HAWK signal, which is a pedestrian-activated crosswalk, about 100 feet west of Princess Street,” he said.

Bike lane and traffic slowing
    To create continuity and a safer bicycling path, he said a buffered bike lane would be installed on both sides of the thoroughfare. “A ‘buffered bike lane’ means there is a two-foot (painted) barrier on the side,” he said. To accommodate the new bike lanes, the vehicular traffic lanes would be narrowed; the lane widths would be adjusted to a 10-foot left lane and 11-foot right lane, a two-foot bike lane buffer and a five-foot bike lane.

“The narrower lanes will make motorists feel a little pinched, so they will slow down a bit, and the HAWK beacon will provide a break in traffic. The buffered bike lane will suggest a bike corridor, and we think all these measures will slow traffic down,” he said.

Trustee Phil Merten agreed.

“One of the reasons traffic moves so fast on Torrey Pines Road is that it is designed like a 55-mile-per-hour highway. The curbs are gentle, visibility is good, the lanes are wide, and people feel safe driving 55 miles per hour. As the lanes narrow and the bike lanes start showing up, people will slow down. They will pay a lot more attention. I think it’s going to improve safety significantly,” he said.

Can't happen soon enough. Hope it doesn't underwhelm. I'm afraid the Hawk beacon will be just enough to entice a pedestrian out into the street to be mowed down by a driver that doesn't notice/care. This almost happened on La Jolla Blvd a few weeks ago-one driver stopped for a pedestrian crossing, and another driver slammed right into the stopped car.
    KOGO’s talk jock hopes to use Gazelle Plan against gas tax increase
    Ken Harrison, April 18, 2017 sandiegoreader.com
    The estimated $52-billion raised over the next 10 years will be split between state projects and local city road repairs. But as continually pointed out on their daily show, John and Ken say not one penny of the gas tax will add a new lane of freeway. “It will go for idiotic things like buses and bike lanes,” said host John Cobylt.

Morena blvd drops from two lanes to one lane.
    Here: Looking South on Morena Blvd towards the Clairemont Drive Overpass Interstate 5 is off to the far right.
    (Clairemont Times file photo)

Looks like the bike lane has been retained.
    Morena Blvd Lane Closure Update
    Some of you may have noticed if you take a cruise down Morena Blvd just south of Balboa Ave the two lane Morena Blvd road drops to 1 and continues to the area just under the Tecolote Rd overpass. The latest is this is a “Temporary Traffic Condition” while the Mid Coast Trolley is being constructed and was requested by SANDAG with approval from City of San Diego.