Not signed in (Sign In)

MAD expansion proposed for east Hillcrest
    April 21st, 2017 By Ken Williams sduptownnews.com
    SANDAG, the regional transportation authority, plans to install protected bicycle lanes in Hillcrest — including on University Avenue and Normal Street — where the proposed new MAD would be located. SANDAG proposes to modify the medians in Zone A to create enough space for the protected bike lanes, but will not maintain the lanes or medians. That means the MAD and SANDAG would have to sign an agreement to maintain the improvements.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2017

Old Knotty Buoy:MAD expansion proposed for east Hillcrest...including on University Avenue
    This is great. But Uni west of 163 needs it much more urgently.
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2017

Cycling to work can cut cancer and heart disease, says study (BBC)
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-39641122
    'It's faster than the bus' and other reasons why people cycle to work
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2017

I'd like to see Normal St get bike lanes or a road diet. Four lanes isn't needed there and what little traffic does traverse the roadway tends to speed. Crossings are also an issue for pedestrians.
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2017

La Jolla ‘medium priority’ on City bike lane plan; DecoBikes could be needed to bridge travel gaps
    María José Durán April 25th, 2017 lajollalight.com
    On a scale of “medium,” “high” or “higher,” two La Jolla bike lanes among the 90 projects in the San Diego Bicycle Advisory Committee (BAC) Strategic Implementation Plan, ranked “medium” in priority. A one-mile stretch of Villa La Jolla Drive (between its two intersections with Gilman Drive) and a 1.2-mile bike lane at La Jolla Village Drive (between Gilman Drive and Regents Road) are in the BAC plans for future construction.

However, District 1 appointee to the BAC, Nicole Capretz, told La Jolla Light the projects aren’t funded yet. “The list of needs for funding and infrastructure is very long, so (the fact that) La Jolla didn’t make the highest priority just indicates how far we have to go.” She explained the two criteria that determined priority: 1) Projects in traditionally underserved communities and 2) Projects within Vision Zero corridors. (Vision Zero is a City initiative to reach zero traffic deaths by 2025).
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2017

Old Knotty Buoy:La Jolla ‘medium priority’ on City bike lane plan; DecoBikes could be needed to bridge travel gaps
    María José Durán April 25th, 2017 lajollalight.com
    On a scale of “medium,” “high” or “higher,” two La Jolla bike lanes among the 90 projects in the San Diego Bicycle Advisory Committee (BAC) Strategic Implementation Plan, ranked “medium” in priority. A one-mile stretch of Villa La Jolla Drive (between its two intersections with Gilman Drive) and a 1.2-mile bike lane at La Jolla Village Drive (between Gilman Drive and Regents Road) are in the BAC plans for future construction.

However, District 1 appointee to the BAC, Nicole Capretz, told La Jolla Light the projects aren’t funded yet. “The list of needs for funding and infrastructure is very long, so (the fact that) La Jolla didn’t make the highest priority just indicates how far we have to go.” She explained the two criteria that determined priority: 1) Projects in traditionally underserved communities and 2) Projects within Vision Zero corridors. (Vision Zero is a City initiative to reach zero traffic deaths by 2025).

La Jolla Village Drive between Gilman and Regents should be a pedestrian and bike-friendly conduit for all of the students traveling between UTC and the UCSD campus. Instead, it's basically a freeway that crosses over a freeway. Pedestrian improvements? Are you kidding me? I like a good trail as much as the next guy, but is this really the place for a trail??

https://www.google.com/maps/place/32%C2%B052'19.9%22N+117%C2%B013'33.5%22W/@32.872184,-117.2265192,160m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d32.872184!4d-117.225972

What were they smoking when they laid out UCSD and UTC? No wonder all of the UCSD students line up for the shuttle buses in UTC.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2017 edited

The entire length of LJ Village Dr (between Miramar Rd and TP Rd) needs something a lot more serious than some lines of paint: In fact, I think bike lanes on LJV Dr under its current configuration and driving practices would be detrimental to bicycle safety, as it would create an illusion of safety, when it isn't present. Put it another way - would you recommend students to commute to school via LJV Dr, with or without bike lanes? I sure wouldn't.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2017

Speaking of such roadways, Ulric St looks to be getting a median barrier in the near future from Fashion Hills Blvd to David St. While it does increase some safety, I can also see that increasing speeds on the roadway as well. Not sure I think it is a good thing.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2017

I got this email this morning. I think it's pretty sad all the hoops one has to jump through in order to access an unused 4 mile section of trail. Land of the free indeed.

Here is the link for those inclined.
    http://www.miramar.marines.mil/Portals/164/Docs/MCASMiramar/stowe_trail/Stowe_Trail_Permit_Application.pdf?ver=2017-03-23-173447-927

The Stowe Trail is approximately 4 miles long and parallels the eastern border of MCAS Miramar and is marked with appropriate signs to facilitate access to the trail by members of the San Diego community who have obtained a valid permit. Applications for permits must be submitted through the MCAS Miramar Provost Marshal’s Office. The official MCAS Miramar website contains pertinent information regarding the process to obtain a permit and appropriate use of the trail.

*Note: There are no other trails aboard MCAS Miramar that will be opened.

Stowe Trail Permit Application and Access
    Stowe Trail Permit Application (PDF)

Stowe Trail Liability Waiver (PDF)

Follow the instructions below to apply for access to Stowe Trail:

1. Download the background form and liability waiver via the link on this web page.

2. Read the liability waiver but DO NOT SIGN, this document must be witnessed at Vehicle Registration. If you do not agree to the liability waiver's provisions you will not be issued a pass and may stop the application here.

3. Fill out and sign the background document; instructions are on page 2 of the SECNAV 5512/1 form (Stowe Trail Permit Application) .

4. Bring the completed application/background document and liability waiver, with all required supporting identification in person to B6200, Vehicle Registration, MCAS Miramar (Accessed via I-15, take the Miramar Way exit, then west bound on Miramar Way) Use the right lane and inform the gate sentry that you need to drop off your background form for Stowe Trail.

5. Allow 10 working days and then call Vehicle Registration at: 858-577-1463 to see if your background application is approved, denied or still pending.

6. If approved, you will be assigned a specific day that you can come to Building 6200, Vehicle Registration, MCAS Miramar to be photographed and receive your permit.

7. Enter Vehicle Registration and obtain a copy of your approved background form.

8. Once you have the background form, take it to the building adjacent to Vehicle Registration.

9. Provide the form to an official at Vehicle Registration and wait to receive your Stowe Trail identification card (permit).

Note: Wait times to receive the identification card may vary as uniformed personnel and civilian base employees have priority.

Note: Only U.S. Citizens are eligible to apply for a Stowe Trail permit.
    It is easier to register to vote, or to obtain a US Passport, or get a marriage license, than it is to ride the Stowe Trail. But I'll still probably get a permit. I wonder what they will think when I show up on my bike at the base entrance?
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2017

Good Article from The Coast News

Coastal Commission to decide fate of the Cardiff Rail Trail
    Aaron Burgin May 3, 2017 thecoastnews.com
    The California Coastal Commission next week will decide the placement of a controversial segment of the Coastal Rail Trail, nearly a year after the city reversed course on its preferred alignment. The May 11 meeting begins at 8:30 a.m. at the San Diego County Board of Supervisors chambers at 1600 Pacific Hwy.

The city’s preferred location of the 1.3-mile so-called “Cardiff Rail Trail” — west of Coast Highway 101 — faces significant headwind, as the Coastal Commission staff has come out in opposition of the proposal.

The coastal commission’s staff, in its staff report for the May 11 meeting, said it does not support the western alignment because it was not part of a large plan that the agency adopted that covered a suite of projects, including freeway widening and the double tracking of the rail corridor in North County.
    Mayor Catherine Blakespear said that the city is arguing that the western alignment is more compatible with the already completed legs of the rail trail.

“Our argument is that placing the bike path along Highway 101 will more successfully achieve the goals of the project than placing the bike path east of the railroad track,” Blakespear said in her recent newsletter. “The bike lanes to our north in Carlsbad and Solana Beach to the south run along Highway 101. We want to continue the path along the routes folks are already using, and not force them to detour inland.”

There is much more in this article than the quotes I've pulled here. - OKB
    ===========

From SANDAG Twitter Tweet

• CommentAuthorfjl307
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2017

Article from KPBS:
    http://www.kpbs.org/news/2017/may/04/activists-growing-impatient-san-diegos-bike-progra/

Part of Grand Avenue has Sharrows. They work really well. Garnet could use them as well. I've ridden down that road through the main business district of PB several times and never had an issue taking the lane.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2017 edited

fjl307:Part of Grand Avenue has Sharrows. They work really well.
    What do you mean by "work really well'"? As in "this is sufficient bike infrastructure to recommend and encourage all bicyclists to safely travel it"?

As cyclists - especially amongst those who consider themselves "experienced" - it 's a common fallacy to let own opinions and experiences form the foundation for advocacy recommendations (and trust me, the City will listen to any suggestion of keeping things status quo - especially when coming from a cyclist): Instead, we need to always think about the roadway safety and well being of all citizens - including encouraging those who may want to ride, but don't because they view Grand Ave, Ingraham St and Mission Blvd, as local examples, as too intimidating.

If you couldn't recommend your next-door neighbor to ride (mom with toddler in babyseat, dad with child on tag-along bike, 11-year old riding to school, college freshman riding home after a night on town, grandma on a grocery run) on any particular street, the infrastructure probably doesn't "work really well".

Councilman Alvarez rides the neighborhood, promises money for bikes
    From Park and G to Chicano Park to Harbor Drive
    By Dave Rice, May 6, 2017 sandiegoreader.com
    "When you're on a bike, it makes a world of difference to help understand what's happening in the community," said Alvarez, who told the group he commutes by bike two to three times a week.
    Alvarez told riders, "There is money coming in, not just to San Diego but other cities, to improve our streets and infrastructure overall. We want to make sure that those improvements to our streets include amenities for bicycling. The money is there."
    Bike to Work Day: La Jolla cyclists talk biking around town
    María José Durán May 11, 2017 lajollalight.com
    “I was about to turn and all of a sudden the car just rear-ended me. I fell over, scratched my leg a little bit and bruised my knee. … I couldn’t see the license plate at all, and I’m not sure if they just sped off or U-turned, but they drove away without doing anything,” 11-year-old Charlotte Norton told La Jolla Light.

Charlotte said that since her accident, she rides mostly on sidewalks, which she knows is wrong. “I don’t want to take the risk (of riding on the street) again,” she said.
    Charlotte is one of many cyclists who responded to a La Jolla Light call for testimony on the safety and convenience of navigating the 92037 ZIP code on a two-wheeler.

All the cyclists who contacted the La Jolla Light for this report have one thing in common: They love riding their bikes in La Jolla. They said they enjoy the weather, the natural beauty, the exercise and not having to look for a parking space. La Jolla bikers have their grievances, but they want to make sure there’s a future for two-wheeled transportation town.

Read More: LINK
    Padres Pedal the Cause gives over $2M to cancer research
    March 1, 2017 ranchosantafereview.com
    On Feb. 16, Padres Pedal the Cause presented a check for $2,031,989 to researchers from Moores Cancer Center at UC San Diego Health, Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute, the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and Rady Children’s Hospital–San Diego.

Most importantly, 2016 marked the achievement of the 100 percent model, which means that all money raised by the riders through fundraising was donated to cancer research. All expenses were underwritten through the generous support of corporate sponsors, including the Koman Family Foundation, BD, Sempra Energy, Wells Fargo and Qualcomm among many others.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2017

Coastal Commission reverses city on long-debated Cardiff rail trail
    Phil Diehl May 11, 2017 sandiegouniontribune.com
    Encinitas’ plan to build the Cardiff section of the Coastal Rail Trail to the west of the city’s railroad tracks was rejected this week by the California Coastal Commission, another twist in a long-running debate over the project.
    In a meeting Thursday in San Diego, the commission said the 1.3-mile trail along Coast Highway 101 should go east of the tracks along San Elijo Avenue from Chesterfield Drive north to Santa Fe Drive
    That leaves the city without approval it needs for either route and the direction ahead unclear, officials said.
    Commissioner Greg Cox, a San Diego County supervisor, made a motion to support the western plan, saying it was “a more logical solution,” but his motion failed, and then the commission voted to support the route along San Elijo Avenue.
    “SANDAG has the money, plus a $1 million grant from Caltrans,” Encinitas Mayor Catherine Blakespear said. “It could begin in less than a year and be in use by the public in 2019. None of that can be said for the east-side alignment.”
    The eastern route would cost an additional $4 million for drainage improvements, retaining walls and bluff stabilization work, Blakespear said. It would develop an area of natural lands and wildlife that the city wants to preserve.
    SANDAG officials also were disappointed by the commission’s decision, Charles “Muggs” Stoll, director of land use and planning for the agency, said Friday.
    “We feel like the western alignment was superior to any along the eastern side,” Stoll said. “It would have provided a great facility for both the community and the region.”
    Much more work needs to be done to build the facility along San Elijo Avenue, he said, and that will cost more money and take more time. Also, the agency will have to forfeit its $1 million grant because it will miss the construction deadline.

Coastal Commission to Encinitas — No!

Bike trail must go east of the tracks
    Ken Harrison, May 16, 2017 sandiegoreader.com
    Despite unanimous city council support for a proposed bike lane and rail trail project along the westside of Cardiff by the Sea’s section of Coast Highway 101 and railroad tracks, the Coastal Commission voted against the community, 12 - 0.

“I’m tremendously disappointed,” Mayor Catherine Blakespear told me. “We’ve spent much time and energy on this. It was unanimous with the council, we had community consensus, and the improvements would have been good for the city.”

“The city is now unable to control the project” said Blakespear. “The Coastal Commission is the final decision maker. There isn’t a higher body to take our case to. We now have to adapt, doing the best we can with the realities in front of us.”

The 1.3 miles of bike lanes and trails between Chesterfield Drive and D Street, the project in question, will now have to switch to the east side of the tracks. A railroad pedestrian crossing in Cardiff will need to be built at either Verdi Avenue or Montgomery Avenue. “We can’t keep people from getting to the beach, “ said Blakespear.

Douglas Alden commutes to work along Camino Del Mar on Wednesday morning in Del Mar, California. Del Mar has a buffer lane to separate traffic and cyclists.
    (Eduardo Contreras / San Diego Union-Tribune)

Event encourages people to bike to work
    San Diego Union-Tribune
    It’s time to snap on your helmet and roll through the city during Bike to Work Day on May 18.

Whether your commute is 5 or 50 minutes, there will be 100 pit stops through San Diego County to help encourage you along the way. The stops, which will be open from 6-9 a.m., will provide fun breaks for both new and experienced bicyclists. Plus, if you register for the event, you’ll receive a free t-shirt and snacks.
    Wanted: your questions on transportation and the environment
    Joshua Emerson Smith May 16, 2017 sandiegouniontribune.com
    The San Diego Union-Tribune would like to hear from you, our readers. What do you want to know about transportation and how it impacts the environment, such as air we breathe? Send us thoughtful questions, big or small, and get you answers.

Send your questions along with your full name and neighborhood of residence to carwars@sduniontribune.com.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2017 edited

Old Knotty Buoy:http://o3pv83dy2y42obv652bzmcc2.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2504158_sd_no_bike_commute_EC_363.jpg
    Douglas Alden commutes to work along Camino Del Mar on Wednesday morning in Del Mar, California. Del Mar has a buffer lane to separate traffic and cyclists.
    (Eduardo Contreras / San Diego Union-Tribune)

Event encourages people to bike to work
    San Diego Union-Tribune
    It’s time to snap on your helmet and roll through the city during Bike to Work Day on May 18.

Whether your commute is 5 or 50 minutes, there will be 100 pit stops through San Diego County to help encourage you along the way. The stops, which will be open from 6-9 a.m., will provide fun breaks for both new and experienced bicyclists. Plus, if you register for the event, you’ll receive a free t-shirt and snacks.

Bike to Work Day, or as Douglas and I call it, "our normal commute". But it'll be nice to see even more riders than usual and the last couple of times I actually did see some new regular faces afterwards.

Come out and ride, no excuses!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2017

I don't normally ride to work since my office is in my home (for now), but I typically ride at lunch or late afternoon.

But since today was bike to work day, I figured I'd ride from Carlsbad to Encinitas, pick up swag, and have breakfast at Honeys.

Now I did ride to this area from 2010 to 2013. When I did it this AM I was shocked at how bad the auto traffic was. Backed up on the coast highway from almost La Costa to Leucadia Blvd.

I can't believe people just repeat this every day.

So much better on the bike.

Davis became the first city to reduce bike fines after finding that officers were slow to ticket bicyclists due to public anger over the steep costs.
    (Image by BicycleLeague.org)

Coronado to reduce bike fines, give more tickets
    Right now running a red costs nearly $500
    By Sheila Pell, May 22, 2017
    Currently, failure to stop at a red light, say, can — counting bail and other court fees along with the base amount — result in a fine as high as $490, a staff report notes. But state vehicle code allows cities to set more reasonable fees for minor bike violations; an option not available to cars.
    San Diego Bike Coalition executive director, Andy Hanshaw, says Coronado's efforts, “align with other bike-friendly communities across the country.” The group agrees with the lowering of fines proposed for bicyclists. “We encourage other cities throughout San Diego County to do the same."
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2017

I encourage them to ticket the huge number of automobile drivers texting, facebook-ing and whatever-ing on their mobile phones as they drive.

That would be special.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2017 edited

I'd like to see cyclists and motorists alike ticketed for running stop signs on Howard Ave in North Park. Mostly cyclists as they rarely even slow, let alone stop. We can blame "those damn cagers" or simply admit that cyclists are also to blame and tend to set a poor example themselves.

I stop at stop signs and red lights. It doesn't delay me much at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2017

On that note, they should ticket cyclists running lights on 101 in Leucadia. At Leucadia Blvd. southbound.

Fish and Wildlife squeeze bikers from Carlsbad's Lake Calavera
    Locals told "they don’t need to experience it"
    Dryw Keltz, June 5, 2017 sandiegoreader.com
    "We’ve been riding out there for 20-plus years, but recently they just put up a bunch of Trail Closed signs. Not the City of Carlsbad, but I think it was the Fish and Wildlife folks from California.”

"If they do start to issue citations, the fine will be $250 max, according to Fish and Wildlife environmental program manager Richard Burg. Via email, Burg reiterated that, “Mountain biking is an unauthorized activity on the reserve (per state law) and has been for over 30 years”
    The mission statement of the Fish and Wildlife is “to manage California's diverse fish, wildlife, and plant resources, and the habitats upon which they depend, for their ecological values and for their use and enjoyment by the public.” Ben Stone, vice president of the San Diego Mountain Biking Association, inquired about the “use and enjoyment by the public” portion of that statement at a recent meeting he had with Fish and Wildlife.

“They told me that, ‘the enjoyment by the public’ part is like intrinsic value — the fact that people just know it’s there and exists,” he said. “They don’t need to experience it. They don’t need to see it. They don’t need to go near it. They just know it exists. I find that to just be insane.”
    Thanks OKB, I saw that yesterday. I've never ridden Calavera but I know it's popular with riders. I'm all for setting aside wild areas to be untouched by humans, but I don't think the limited open space in our urban sprawl is the place for this. This seems to be the same pattern that Del Mar Mesa went through: Open space that was largely unregulated, with complicated jurisdiction; then massive private development; then Fish & Wildlife comes down with an iron fist and states that the remaining patch of land is to be treated as pristine wilderness that is too sensitive for humans on mountain bikes to touch (but the land that was bulldozed for private homes was not similarly sensitive?)
    MTS Adds Long-Delayed ‘Stored Value’ To Compass Card
    Andrew Bowen June 27, 2017 kpbs.org
    Starting Wednesday, San Diego public transit riders will be able to load and store money on their Compass Cards and use their balance to pay bus, trolley, Sprinter and Coaster fares.

The new "stored value" function, branded Compass Cash, fulfills a promise made a decade ago when the Compass Card system was first being created. Shifting priorities and software glitches have repeatedly delayed its launch.
    We'll see how well this rolls out...

MTS Compass Cash
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2017

Old Knotty Buoy:MTS Adds Long-Delayed ‘Stored Value’ To Compass Card
    Andrew Bowen June 27, 2017 kpbs.org
    Starting Wednesday, San Diego public transit riders will be able to load and store money on their Compass Cards and use their balance to pay bus, trolley, Sprinter and Coaster fares.

The new "stored value" function, branded Compass Cash, fulfills a promise made a decade ago when the Compass Card system was first being created. Shifting priorities and software glitches have repeatedly delayed its launch.
    We'll see how well this rolls out...

MTS Compass Cash

That's a welcome development.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2017

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2017/jun/29/san-diego-expands-bait-bike-program-pacific-beach/

Nice! Unfortunately I think most of them will just be released quickly and steal more stuff...

At last, an easy way to get to Mission Valley
    Safer for a bike than Fairmont Ave. or Texas St.
    Mike Madriaga, July 1, 2017 sandiegoreader.com
    “The bikeway is almost done” said Miguel, as he walked out by the freeway exit. “The pavement, walls and fences look good to go,” he said, “the only things that look unfinished are the landscaping and the lights.”

Shady John:Thanks OKB, I saw that yesterday. I've never ridden Calavera but I know it's popular with riders. I'm all for setting aside wild areas to be untouched by humans, but I don't think the limited open space in our urban sprawl is the place for this. This seems to be the same pattern that Del Mar Mesa went through: Open space that was largely unregulated, with complicated jurisdiction; then massive private development; then Fish & Wildlife comes down with an iron fist and states that the remaining patch of land is to be treated as pristine wilderness that is too sensitive for humans on mountain bikes to touch (but the land that was bulldozed for private homes was not similarly sensitive?)
    SANDAG Adds 50 Acres to Batiquitos Lagoon for Preservation
    Alexander Nguyen April 7, 2015 timesofsandiego.com
    SANDAG and Caltrans spent $6 million on a 47-acre property at La Costa Avenue, near El Camino Real, where a 19-unit housing development was going to be built, and a 3.5-acre piece of land across La Costa Avenue.

“Over the life of the North Coast Corridor Program, we expect to spend $250 million to preserve and restore sensitive coastal habitat and improve coastal access at the same time as we build transportation improvements to reduce congestion and greenhouse gas emissions,” Dale said.
    The property will eventually be transferred to a conservation and land management organization to ensure effective stewardship of the land, according to SANDAG.

This is an older post but illustrates Shady's point. Hopefully, the land acquired with $250 million of tax payer funds, will not be closed off to the same tax paying public!
    Ramona trail dedicated along San Vicente Road
    J. Harry Jones Nov 30, 2016 sandiegouniontribune.com/
    Many serious traffic collisions, including several fatalities, had plagued the 2.2-mile section of San Vicente between Warnock Drive, extending south past Wildcat Canyon Road to the entrance of the San Diego Country Estates.

The $22-million widening project, which included construction of a 10-foot-wide multi-use trail along the western and southern sides of the road, was completed two months ago.

Jacob said the dedication of the trail was really about the project as a whole. She said the trail provides safe passage along on a street that was almost impossible for pedestrians to traverse before. A bike lane also makes it far safer for those on two wheels.

“This is another big part of the county’s efforts to preserve open space and then put the trails in so people of all ages can have the experience of enjoying nature by getting out and exercising whether on horseback or hiking,” she said.

Again, this may be older news but worth recording here. It's nice to see efforts are being made throughout the county. Hopefully this will generate good will with the east county communities.
    City reviews reverse angle parking
    Promise Yee June 29, 2017 thecoastnews.com
    Oceanside took a second look at reverse angle parking in its downtown after lines were striped in almost three years ago. City staff shared the findings of a driver survey of reverse angle parking with City Council on June 21, which council unanimously approved.

Benefits over head-in parallel parking include greater driver visibility, fewer collisions, improved pedestrian and bike safety, better loading and unloading and more parking spots.

Staff reported overall results of usage, knowledge and benefits of reverse angle spaces were neutral. “The respondents were less interested over the pro or con of reverse angle parking and more concerned over the overall availability of parking in the downtown area,” city staff said in the report.

Other interesting survey results were drivers who back-in park rated their knowledge of the benefits of reverse angle parking the highest, and were most in favor of additional reverse angle spaces.

City staff concluded reverse angle parking should be considered in future road improvement projects because of the many benefits it brings.
    Cardiff Rail Trail moves forward
    Aaron Burgin July 7, 2017 thecoastnews.com
    The county’s regional planning agency is moving forward with a controversial 1.3-mile stretch of bicycle and pedestrian trail alongside San Elijo Avenue in Cardiff after officials voted to increase the project budget by $5 million.

The San Diego Association of Governments voted in early June to increase the budget for the Cardiff section of the Coastal Rail Trail from $6.1 million to no more than $11 million.

SANDAG’s vote came several weeks after the California Coastal Commission voted against a proposal to put the rail trail to the west side of Coast Highway 101, against the preferences of SANDAG, the city of Encinitas and a number of residents.
    Meanwhile, Encinitas officials, including Mayor Catherine Blakespear, are working with the agency to shrink the width of the trail to appease residents who have argued that the trail will foul one of the remaining vestiges of pristine natural coastal terrain in the city.

For opponents of the so-called “east side alignment” that the Coastal Commission voted down, a smaller footprint would be a small consolation, although some said the hurt feelings remain.

“I think if it happens, it would make a terrible thing a tiny bit less terrible,” said Julie Thunder, one of the chief members of the “No Rail Trail” group. “This whole thing has been a bummer to us, and when it starts going in, when they start building it, what happened a year and a half ago is going to happen again,” Thunder said, referring to the widespread community opposition in late 2015 and 2016. “I think people don’t realize how bad it is going to be until they start building it.”
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2017

Old Knotty Buoy:Cardiff Rail Trail moves forward
    Aaron Burgin July 7, 2017 thecoastnews.com
    The county’s regional planning agency is moving forward with a controversial 1.3-mile stretch of bicycle and pedestrian trail alongside San Elijo Avenue in Cardiff after officials voted to increase the project budget by $5 million.

The San Diego Association of Governments voted in early June to increase the budget for the Cardiff section of the Coastal Rail Trail from $6.1 million to no more than $11 million.

SANDAG’s vote came several weeks after the California Coastal Commission voted against a proposal to put the rail trail to the west side of Coast Highway 101, against the preferences of SANDAG, the city of Encinitas and a number of residents.
    Meanwhile, Encinitas officials, including Mayor Catherine Blakespear, are working with the agency to shrink the width of the trail to appease residents who have argued that the trail will foul one of the remaining vestiges of pristine natural coastal terrain in the city.

For opponents of the so-called “east side alignment” that the Coastal Commission voted down, a smaller footprint would be a small consolation, although some said the hurt feelings remain.

“I think if it happens, it would make a terrible thing a tiny bit less terrible,” said Julie Thunder, one of the chief members of the “No Rail Trail” group. “This whole thing has been a bummer to us, and when it starts going in, when they start building it, what happened a year and a half ago is going to happen again,” Thunder said, referring to the widespread community opposition in late 2015 and 2016. “I think people don’t realize how bad it is going to be until they start building it.”

I ride along this stretch almost every day and simply do not understand the resistance. What I see along most of the way between Cardiff and Encinitas is wild parking, mulch and gravel patches and trails through mostly chaotic "landscaping". How a redo with a bike trail and landscaping could be considered worse is a mystery to me.
    And once the train is double tracked, I suspect they will crack down even harder on people crossing the tracks and likely will install fences too. Can anybody explain to me what the residents' arguments are?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2017

this is the typical NIMBY attitude of every suburban homeowner.

Del Mar's parking fail
    Revenue-generating idea may have backfired
    By Ken Harrison, June 13, 2017
    Over the winter, the city of Del Mar widened and repaved its northern boundary, the busy Via de La Valle, between Coast Highway and Jimmy Durante Boulevard. They also added a bike lane and a sidewalk for the six-tenths-of-a-mile stretch overlooking the Del Mar Fairgrounds.

“It’s a shame because that’s where a lot of workers and volunteers would park for free,” said Chris Platis, a long-time host in the fair’s woodworking exhibits. “Locals would also park there just to run into the fair for a few hours.” (The “Solana” gate on Via de La Valle is known as the local’s entrance to the fairgrounds.)

On one of the fair’s busiest days to date, Sunday, June 11, at 4:00 p.m., only about 20 motorists chose the paid parking option. Most of the street, even spaces closest to Coast Highway and Dog Beach, were vacant. However, on the other side of the street, which is in Solana Beach, the free parking spots were jam packed, with fair parkers extending up onto the side streets of the neighborhood.

With new parallel and reverse diagonal parking, the project added about 125 new spaces to the few formerly free spaces. At $15 for the day (or $1.50/hour), it's $2 more than paying for parking inside the fairgrounds.

The Del Mar Mesa preserve is owned by the city of San Diego, California Department of Fish & Wildlife, the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, the county, and private owners.

Mountain bikers fret over office complex called Torrey Highlands Preserve
    "It's not a preserve and they shouldn't say it is"
    Marty Graham, July 9, 2017 sandiegoreader.com
    Rancho Penasquitos residents and mountain bikers say they are worried that the coming development of an office complex called the Torrey Highlands Preserve will impede their ability to enjoy trails on the adjoining Del Mar Mesa preserve. They don't like the name much, either.

"It's not a preserve and they shouldn't say it is," said Melissa Harris. "They are developing a business park with big buildings."
    MAP
    "Our original thought was to provide trail access from our property for people who will work here," Brazel said. "But the way the preserve rules are written, we can't do that."

"One of the city's goals in the Climate Action Plan is to have people's homes closer to their jobs, to cut down on greenhouse gases," Brazel said. "I live in Rancho Penasquitos and it is a bedroom community where most working people drive somewhere else to work. We think this project fits in and makes sense. The infrastructure is there and we have mixed use residential going in across the street."
    The long-vacant land has been enjoyed by hikers, equestrians and mountain bikers, and the users have a sense of ownership - and concerns about how they will get around the land where they now go straight through it.

"I mountain bike there. The area is pristine," said Julie Adams. "It's my serenity."

The mountain biking community is particularly fond of the preserve. "Del Mar Mesa is a 2,000-acre ridge on the coast between La Jolla and Del Mar. The entire Del Mar Mesa is restricted to multi-use equestrian, biking, and hiking trails throughout the neighborhoods."
    The preserve is owned by the city of San Diego (537 acres), California Department of Fish & Wildlife (81 acres), the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (75 acres), the county (27 acres) and private owners. (69 acres). The agencies have different missions and different rules about how the land may or may not be used. For example, bikes have been forbidden on state owned preserve land.

South of the notch, as the Cisterra land is called, mountain bikers are forbidden by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife rules, while the parts west and north are city-owned. However, not all the city-owned land is available for recreational use.

The San Diego Mountain Biking Association has been able to form relationships with the agencies and to successfully push plans to create trails.
    I worked off of Del Mar Heights Road for years back in the mid 80's & all of the 90's. I watched as the 56 was built out and the massive upgrade of the 805/5 merge and addition of the 56/5 interchange. Carmel Valley was just a sleepy, rural horse farm and agricultural area. Our facilities manager used to ride his Honda 125 dirt bike from Poway along the trails of the valley and could easily cut his normal commute time by over half. There's a lot of open space out there that is used by long time bikers.

This article lists six or more agencies that have control or sway over how the land may be used. With differing policies regarding environmental and wildlife protections, set asides, public access, developments now and in the future, it's no wonder that so much slips through the cracks. Developers and the government agencies that reap the added tax rewards, work together to profit from the taxpayer's money. Meanwhile, the general public is shut out. Nothing new here….
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2017

from Councilmember Barbara Bry, San Diego Council District 1 AGENCY

A portion of the Rose Canyon Bike Path will be rerouted to a protected, temporary two-lane bikeway on the outside shoulder of the northbound I-5 off-ramp beginning late July. Preparatory work to install protective barricades for the bike lane will require intermittent overnight lane closures of I-5 near the La Jolla Colony/Gilman Drive off-ramp and the SR-52 ramp from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. each night on July 12, 13 and 16, 17. Cyclists traveling in the area will be directed to use the new alignment of the Rose Canyon Bike Path beginning late July.
    Jul 12 in Crime & Safety to San Diego Council District 1

Wall on right of I-15 north. "If the wall is directly opposite from the residents; that would amplify sound.”

Unintended consequences on I-15?

The bikeway to Mission Valley brings a decibel debate to Normal Heights
    Mike Madriaga, July 14, 2017 sandiegoreader.com
    John from Kensington, walks his dog across the Adams Avenue overpass everyday and passes the northbound freeway and the closed bikeway entrance. “I think that maybe the extra noise is coming from the new [bikeway] walls which bounce the [freeway traffic] noise to Normal Heights.”
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2017

•  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2017

Wasn't sure if this should go in the "News", the "Video" or the "Riding in LA" thread.

Interesting story in the LAT about whether or not you have to be crazy to ride a bike in LA.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/livable-city/la-ol-bicycle-safety-road-diet-20170717-htmlstory.html
    La Jolla Light OUR READERS WRITE:
    July 13, 2017 lajollalight.com
    Bicyclists must hug the right-hand curb

The article “Rules of the Road for Bicyclists” in the June 29 issue omitted a fundamental rule for riding bikes, one that is often ignored. California Vehicle Code section 21202 requires bicycles be ridden “as close as practical to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.” There are exceptions for making a left turn, overtaking another bike or car, or avoiding “unsafe conditions.” Obviously, riding two or more abreast is a violation of this rule, yet it is commonly done and leads to holding up vehicular traffic and angering motorists.

Ted Haas

California Bicycle Laws

LINK
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2017

To add to the CVC's list of stupid guidelines:

(a) No person shall operate a bicycle on a roadway unless it is equipped with a brake that will enable the operator to make one braked wheel skid on dry, level, clean pavement.

Everyone knows that the best stop is made with a front brake. Why the "skid" rule? It's dangerous.
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2017

I saw that letter and I was sure that someone like Serge would respond. I guess I should have myself.
    Shady, here's two excerpted responses to the letter. Link to article for full responses.

Our Readers Write: (July 20 issue)
    La Jolla Light lajollalight.com
    Kudos to La Jolla Light journalists for the great local educational articles! The speed limit report was interesting, though I mainly drive the speed of safety in La Jolla and Pacific Beach — which is slow, very slow and be the responsible one — expect a pedestrian will walk out from between cars without eye contact or pause.
    A letter on the subject in last week’s issue fails to convey the full content and application of Section 21202. Of major importance is that this section of the Code only applies to cyclists riding slower than the speed of traffic. An example of where this section may not apply is in The Village where experienced cyclists have no trouble riding at traffic speeds. Another location is the Bird Rock business district.

I also note that the Section 21760 requires motorists to pass no closer than three feet to cyclists unless they slow and pass only when prudent. This applies even if the cyclist is in a bike lane.

Motorists should always be aware of the vulnerability of cyclists and pedestrians as they drive and behave accordingly, i.e. in a non-aggressive and socially acceptable manner.