Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2017

batmick:There are several schools near that intersection and the crosswalk is used by many children all day. Yet road design is such that Encinitas Boulevard is essentially a freeway up and over the hill in both directions. Inexcusable, yet this was, as they say, an accident waiting to happen.

I lived off Balour from 2003 to 2008, in the "mini barrio" section. Lots of children crossing there because of the school. The speed limit on Encinitas Blvd. is another example of the bad effects of the "Speed Rule."

FYI: Making the left from Encinitas Blvd. going East onto Cantebria (just past Balour) on the bicycle is always an 'interesting' situation.
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2017

I didn't know what else to do, so I sent an email to the mayor of Encinitas asking her to make sure this case gets proper attention, and to let it be motivation for improving street safety in the city.
    bikingbill:
    Shady John:http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Pedestrian-Dies-After-Being-Hit-by-Car-Encinitas-Boulevard-Balour-Drive-444885853.html

This sounds like manslaughter, at least. If you're driving, and a car in front of you stops at a crosswalk, do you really think it is OK to swerve around the car and go through the crosswalk? No way in hell should this driver be allowed to go without prison time (assuming the initial report is accurate).

Forecast says: Major disappointment followed by anticipated anger and sadness.
    MAP
    Satellite View
    Street View

To be fair, the story doesn't state whether she had the walk signal, whether the vehicles had right of way or even which street she was crossing (Encinitas Boulevard is implied but not certain). This could be one of those cases where the vehicles had the green and someone stopped "as a courtesy" and the tragedy occurred. Encinitas Boulevard has two lanes in each direction and maybe the car going around was in fact just changing lanes and never saw the pedestrian.

I just about had a nervous brake down in front of my apartment when I saw a well meaning woman encourage by waving, two young boys walking their bikes, to continue from the median to the near side of my street (Grand Ave in PB). Two lanes in both directions, the woman driving a large Ryder Truck and an impatient taxi driver behind punching it around the stopped truck. The kids could't see through the truck and neither could the taxi driver, so one couldn't see the others. I was standing in the driveway and saw the whole thing unfold right in front of me. I saw my life flash in front of my eyes, their lives flash in front of my eyes, the taxi driver's expression of horror as he saw the kids emerging from in front of the truck… I didn't have time to react until after it ended as a near miss. I freaked at the taxi driver who had squealed to a stop, the woman in the truck who waved the kids to potential doom and the kids themselves. I really melted down and could only slink back into my dwelling, muttering to myself, afterwards. I hate when that happens.
    ==============================

A past story from my lovely neighborhood:
    Police Recover Car in Pacific Beach Hit-and-Run
    By Samantha Tatro and Monica Garske September 12, 2016 nbcsandiego.com
    The hit-and-run happened on Aug. 5, 2016 at 1:00 a.m. in the 900 block of Garnet Avenue. A silver sedan heading east on Garnet at Cass swerved around a stopped car, into oncoming traffic, plowing into Erby and his friend, police said. The silver sedan never stopped.
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2017

OKB, I can sympathize with your cringe, I've seen situations like that develop as well, though not as dramatic as the one you described. I don't like it when a motorist tries to wave me through when I'm a pedestrian or on a bike. No, I won't go on your schedule, I'll go when I see the situation is right. I've frustrated many drivers by shaking off their waves, because to follow would put me in a compromised position.

Regarding your analysis of the fatal crossing in Encinitas: As I read the headline, it states that she was in the crosswalk on Encinitas Blvd. Yes, to be fair, the woman might have been crossing against the light, although that is not stated. Still, a careful driver would see the situation in front of her, and slow down to see why the car in front of her had slowed down, instead of just swerving around. Also, this is right in front of the Encinitas Senior Center, so assuming the driver was familiar with the area, she should have been aware that there could be slow-moving pedestrians there.

Driving is a privilege, not a right. We need a license to drive, and presumably that license should be given out only after the applicant has demonstrated that she/he can drive responsibility. We shouldn't settle for a chimpanzee-level of driving judgment.

I am absolutely ready for self-driving cars. I don't want Alexa or a smart refrigerator, because I don't want/need that level of intrusiveness in my life. But humans (at least Americans) are so bad at driving that the bar is very low for how well self-driving cars have to perform. After a certain amount of time, I hope the liability risk for manual driving becomes much greater, to the point that even the holdouts won't/can't drive manually. It will demand a great psychological change, and will require ceding a lot of freedom, but the carnage is simply too bad now.
    • CommentAuthorbossvoss
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2017

From what I have read on another forum, the pedestrian was crossing Encinitas legally with the Light. The first car was turning right from Balour onto Encinitas and made the proper stop. Second car also turning right onto Encinitas came around the left hand side of the first car and nailed the pedestrian.
    BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
    BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
    BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH ......

================================================================
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2017 edited

bossvoss:From what I have read on another forum, the pedestrian was crossing Encinitas legally with the Light. The first car was turning right from Balour onto Encinitas and made the proper stop. Second car also turning right onto Encinitas came around the left hand side of the first car and nailed the pedestrian.

I think that's vehicular homicide. It can result in 1 year in jail or up to six years in prison, if due to "gross negligence." I believe this is a case of "gross negligence."

https://www.shouselaw.com/vehicle-manslaughter.html

City asked to help get kids safely to school
    Bianca Kaplanek September 21 2017 thecoastnews.com
    SOLANA BEACH — The elimination of crossing guards at two dangerous intersections on Lomas Santa Fe Drive prompted several parents and students to ask City Council to intervene.

At the Sept. 12 meeting, more than a dozen youngsters, mostly from Skyline Elementary, said because of dangerous traffic at the Interstate 5 ramps they are no longer able to walk, bike or scooter to and from school.

“I would like to see more adult supervision along the route to my school each day, specifically by the freeway entrances and exits,” fifth-grader Ellie Koff said. “I really enjoy walking and biking because it makes me feel responsible.”

“Adults are constantly telling us to be environmentally friendly by walking and biking instead of riding in a car,” Ellie added. “There is a huge group of us that are willing to do that if we can have some help from supervisors.”
    “(A)ll the cars are going very fast and it can be really nerve-wracking just to walk to and from school,” she added. “I don’t want to see any of my friends or family affected by any accidents that could happen.”
    “Students should not walk or ride because it’s unsafe should not be an acceptable solution to any of us,” Catherine Gilbert said. “As a community we have a responsibility to our children to promote independence, healthy choices and environmental stewardship, all of which are promoted by students walking and riding to school.

“I understand the school district wanting to keep their employees safe,” Shawna McGarry said. “But I do believe it’s imperative that we come together as a city to re-provide the crossing guards … so that we can keep these kids walking and biking to school.

There's a lot more in this story….
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2017

Old Knotty Buoy:http://www.thecoastnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/DSC_0052.jpg

City asked to help get kids safely to school
    Bianca Kaplanek September 21 2017 thecoastnews.com
    SOLANA BEACH — The elimination of crossing guards at two dangerous intersections on Lomas Santa Fe Drive prompted several parents and students to ask City Council to intervene.

At the Sept. 12 meeting, more than a dozen youngsters, mostly from Skyline Elementary, said because of dangerous traffic at the Interstate 5 ramps they are no longer able to walk, bike or scooter to and from school.

“I would like to see more adult supervision along the route to my school each day, specifically by the freeway entrances and exits,” fifth-grader Ellie Koff said. “I really enjoy walking and biking because it makes me feel responsible.”

“Adults are constantly telling us to be environmentally friendly by walking and biking instead of riding in a car,” Ellie added. “There is a huge group of us that are willing to do that if we can have some help from supervisors.”
    “(A)ll the cars are going very fast and it can be really nerve-wracking just to walk to and from school,” she added. “I don’t want to see any of my friends or family affected by any accidents that could happen.”
    “Students should not walk or ride because it’s unsafe should not be an acceptable solution to any of us,” Catherine Gilbert said. “As a community we have a responsibility to our children to promote independence, healthy choices and environmental stewardship, all of which are promoted by students walking and riding to school.

“I understand the school district wanting to keep their employees safe,” Shawna McGarry said. “But I do believe it’s imperative that we come together as a city to re-provide the crossing guards … so that we can keep these kids walking and biking to school.

There's a lot more in this story….

The school's solution will probably be to ban walking or cycling to school. It's happened before:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/william-volk/cycling-or-walking-to-sch_b_305429.html

Why isn't there a crossing SIGNAL at that ramp? Also the bike lane is an invitation for a right cross.
    Woman injured in Encinitas hit-and-run fighting for her life as search for driver continues
    Debbi Baker September 27, 2017 sandiegouniontribune.com
    Ashley Mullins Lane, who lives in Oceanside with her two young daughters, was hit Friday just before 7:30 p.m. as she was crossing Encinitas Boulevard near South Coast Highway 101.

She had just finished working at her job at Lazy Acres market and was heading to the Coaster station to go home, said her father Roger Mullins of Encinitas.

After hitting her, the driver of the truck — described as a newer, white Ford 150 Platinum Edition with a shiny silver tailgate — stopped, got out and surveyed the scene before telling witnesses that she appeared to be OK, said sheriff’s Sgt. Luis Chavez. The driver, said to be white and in his 40s, then got back into the truck and drove off.

Mullins Lane suffered several broken bones, including her pelvis, ribs and four vertebrae, as well as a lacerated spleen. She is also having neurological issues that have left her entire left side paralyzed and she suffered a stroke, her father said.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Encinitas sheriff’s station at (760) 966-3500 or call Crime Stoppers at (888)580-8477.
    There are no bikes in this story. I only posted it as an indication of the issues facing alternative transportation users. This woman was walking from her job to the Coaster Station; going home to her children. Bike commuters, transit commuters and pedestrians share common cause in needing safe, functional facilities in our urban environment. Robust crosswalks, pedestrian signals, functional intersections and the like, must provide protections from the growing onslaught of vehicle traffic.
    ^^
    Encinitas Man Accused of Driving Away After Striking Woman Near Moonlight Beach
    Debbie L. Sklar October 6, 2017 timesofsandiego.com
    Justin Walt Parker, 38, turned himself in Thursday evening in connection with the Sept. 22 crash, which left 33-year-old Ashley Lane with a concussion and broken bones and caused her to suffer three strokes, according to sheriff’s officials.

With “overwhelming help” from the public, deputies were able to identify Parker as the suspected hit-and-run motorist, Maryon said.

Investigators tracked down Parker’s truck at a custom automotive shop in Riverside. By then, the damage it allegedly had sustained in the crash had been repaired, the captain said.

Following his surrender to sheriff’s officials, Parker, an Encinitas resident, was booked into county jail. He soon posted bail of $250,000 and was released on his own recognizance at about 1 a.m.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2017

Will we be disappointed? I hope not.
    San Diego City Employees Lead On Public Transit, Lag On Bikes
    Andrew Bowen October 9, 2017 kpbs.org
    "There's some pretty simple and easy things the city can do to make biking more attractive for their employees, like bike cages and showers at the office," Rosas said. "But really the biggest impact that they're going to have is by implementing safe bike infrastructure, including the downtown mobility plan."

City Council members passed the downtown mobility plan last year. It calls for nine miles of new bike lanes downtown — many of them separated from cars with physical barriers. Mayor Kevin Faulconer has pledged to implement those bike lanes by the summer of 2019.
    Uptown Planners prioritize 5 community projects
    October 6th, 2017 sduptownnews.com
    The construction of Olive Street Park in Bankers Hill is the top priority for the Uptown Planners, the citizen-elected volunteer board that advises city planners on matters related to growth and development in the Uptown district.
    • No. 2 — Normal Street Linear Park, a redesign of Normal Street from University Avenue to Lincoln Street.
    • No. 3 — University Avenue “Vision Zero” pedestrian improvements, including midblock pedestrian crossings on several wide blocks in eastern Hillcrest between Richmond and Normal streets.
    • No. 4 — Washington Street pedestrian and bikeway improvements through University Heights.
    • No. 5 — Grant Elementary K-8 Joint-Use Park in Mission Hills.
    More DecoBike locations

When Erikat insisted that an average of six daily DecoBike users in Uptown was considered a good figure, people scoffed at him. Leo Wilson, the Uptown Planners chair who is himself a bicyclist, sternly told Erikat that “you don’t take away valuable parking spaces in Uptown” to locate bike-sharing stations.

Gerrie Trussell, executive director of the Uptown Community Parking District (UCPD), echoed those feelings. The 14 new bike-sharing stations will eliminate 10 parking spots throughout the Uptown district, and Erikat noted that MTS was the agency which had recommended all those locations that would require eliminating parking spots.

Amie Hayes, a member of the Uptown Planners who is also involved with Save Our Heritage Organisation and is president of the Bankers Hill Community Group, blasted DecoBike for wanting to place bike-sharing stations along Sixth Avenue on the swale between the roadway and the sidewalk. Erikat said the stations would have advertising panels, and Hayes warned him that ads are banned in Balboa Park. He contended that the swale is not “technically” part of Balboa Park, which drew a public rebuke from Hayes. Stay tuned on this matter.
    Trussell, from the UCPD, told the Uptown Planners that her agency is planning wayfinding signage for International Restaurant Row in Mission Hills and various sites in Hillcrest. She said Mission Hills decided not to participate in the project.
    Guest Editorial: Uptown Community Parking District budget sabotaged?
    Ben Baltic and Jim Frost - October 6th, 2017 - sduptownnews.com
    The motion was presented to the board simply as a set of talking points to use while interacting with the public. Now, Nichols is portraying the motion to say that the parking district is prevented from funding or supporting any current or future project anywhere in Uptown if a single parking space is removed.

Previously, the Bankers Hill Neighborhood Parking Committee, a subcommittee of the UCPD, supported — and continues to support —the San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) bike project on Fourth and Fifth avenues between Downtown and Hillcrest. Bankers Hill included significant funds in this year’s budget for upgrades in the Bankers Hill portion of the project. This project causes a small parking loss in Hillcrest but overall the project provides parking gains for Uptown.
    Representing the HBA, Nichols continued to lobby the city. Nichols contended that because of the UCPD motion, the city could not allow Bankers Hill funding for the SANDAG bike project in the current budget. Given that the proposed parking district budget had been unanimously approved by the UCPD board, including Nichols, Nichols was in effect arguing against the interests of the parking district he chairs, his own vote, and for the interests of the HBA that employs him. Was this not a clear and obvious conflict of interest?

Had Nichols succeeded, the money Bankers Hill allocated for landscaping, lighting and other improvements would have been stripped from the UCPD budget. This would not have changed the parking loss in Hillcrest in any way. What it would have done is block funding for many long overdue improvements associated with the bike project to the Bankers Hill business core, which directly competes with Hillcrest. Whose agenda was Nichols really interested in? The Uptown community and parking district? Or the Hillcrest Business Association? Because of these actions by Nichols, the city has asked the UCPD to clarify its position.
    Working closely with neighborhood businesses, residents, SANDAG and the city, Bankers Hill has chosen to use some of its money to upgrade and provide enhancements to the bike project. Should Hillcrest not wish to allocate money to the bike project in that neighborhood, it is not obliged to do so. The long-standing policy of neighborhood autonomy should be respected.
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2017

Old Knotty Buoy:^^
    Encinitas Man Accused of Driving Away After Striking Woman Near Moonlight Beach
    Debbie L. Sklar October 6, 2017 timesofsandiego.com
    Justin Walt Parker, 38, turned himself in Thursday evening in connection with the Sept. 22 crash, which left 33-year-old Ashley Lane with a concussion and broken bones and caused her to suffer three strokes, according to sheriff’s officials.

With “overwhelming help” from the public, deputies were able to identify Parker as the suspected hit-and-run motorist, Maryon said.

Investigators tracked down Parker’s truck at a custom automotive shop in Riverside. By then, the damage it allegedly had sustained in the crash had been repaired, the captain said.

Following his surrender to sheriff’s officials, Parker, an Encinitas resident, was booked into county jail. He soon posted bail of $250,000 and was released on his own recognizance at about 1 a.m.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/36586400/woman-badly-injured-accused-hit-and-run-driver-faces-judge
    I read somewhere that at most, he's looking at 4 years and a fine. Of course there's the civil ramifications. A real tragedy.

Cyclists and pedestrians on the Champs- Élysées during the city's "day without cars" on Oct. 1, 2016
    Photo by Christophe Simon AFP/Getty Images

Paris Mayor Plans To Eliminate All Non-Electric Cars By 2030
    Laurel Wamsley (NPR) October 12, 2017 kpbs.org
    Mayor Anne Hidalgo's call on Thursday for an end to petrol-fueled cars on Paris roads by 2030 follows a previously announced plan to eliminate diesel cars from the city by 2024, when Paris will host the Summer Olympics.

"We are seeing a revolution in terms of mobility and on the issue of climate," Christophe Nadjovski, Paris deputy mayor in charge of transport and public space, told France Info Radio on Tuesday. "We can't wait."
    "No measure of prohibition or sanction is included" in the new climate plan for Paris, the mayor's office said in the statement. "In order to achieve the goal of an end to the thermal engines in 2030, the City has decided to invest in the development of alternatives and in the reinforcement of financial aids that allow individuals and professionals to buy clean vehicles."

The climate plan will be submitted to the Council of Paris for a vote in November.

It also touted its investments in public transit and bike lanes. Authorities say that more than 60 percent of Parisians don't own a car.

On Oct. 1, the city held "a day without cars," with the intention of making Paris "less polluted, more pleasant and more peaceful." Nitrogen dioxide levels dropped 25 percent, and noise levels dropped an average of 20 percent. On the Champs-Élysées, noise levels dropped 54 percent.

=== Related Story ====

12 major cities that are starting to go car-free
    Leanna Garfield February 2, 2017 businessinsider.com
    Oslo plans to permanently ban all cars from its city center by 2019 — six years before Norway's country-wide ban would go into effect.

The Norwegian capital will invest heavily in public transportation and replace 35 miles of roads previously dominated by cars with bike lanes.
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTime5 days ago

This needs to be applied to all hit-and-run cases that lead to death.

Killer drivers to receive life sentences in law change
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41627240
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTime4 days ago edited

Old Knotty Buoy:12 major cities that are starting to go car-free
    Leanna Garfield February 2, 2017 businessinsider.com: Oslo plans to permanently ban all cars from its city center by 2019 — six years before Norway's country-wide ban would go into effect. The Norwegian capital will invest heavily in public transportation and replace 35 miles of roads previously dominated by cars with bike lanes.
    This is what can happen when a government has a progressive vision and is given the powers to execute it, rather than endlessly giving in to whatever special interest and self-serving groups are the loudest - ref., as an example, the University Ave through Hillcrest fiasco.

An average UberEATS bike courier bikes 60 miles per week and the average bike delivery time is 13.28 minutes.

UberEATS begins bike courier deliveries in Pacific and Mission beaches
    Mathilde Rousseau Bjerregaard October 16, 2017 sdnews.com
    UberEATS has launched its new bicycle courier service in San Diego. This works like the normal UberEATS service, the food will just be delivered by an Uber driver on bicycle.

The bicycle courier service was launched in line with Uber's environmental commitment and will help reduce congestion in high traffic neighborhoods while ensuring food delivery is fast and efficient. The neighborhoods where the service is offered are downtown, Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, and Hillcrest.
    “It is a win for both the drivers, because they don’t need to spent time finding a parking spot, and also for the customers, because the food stays hot or cold,” said Winter.

The new service aims to provide greater convenience for delivery partners, especially in congested parts of the city where parking may be difficult to find. It is also aligned and consistent with Mayor Kevin Faulconer's vision to encourage greater use of cycling throughout the city as part of San Diego's Master Bicycle Plan.

“It is cool that you can do it on a bike because traffic in San Diego is pretty junk,” said Ryan Alvarado, who is an UberEATS bike courier. Alvarado has been pedaling food for six weeks delivering downtown.
    This was Thursday Oct 12, around 5:50 pm. I rode by about 10 minutes afterwards, while the cars were backed up on LJ Shores and the emergency vehicles were arriving. I deliberately ducked into SIO rather than ride by on Shores because I didn't want to see what I knew would be a pedestrian or cyclist down.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/sd-me-pedestrian-crash-20171012-story.html
    http://www.sdnews.com/view/full_story/27493105/article-Pedestrian-struck-by-car-on-La-Jolla-Shores-Drive?instance=bbp