Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2018

Diane Harkey, an Orange County Republican running for the 49th congressional district (in her support of repealing the gas tax, Prop 6):

“This is just fraud. It’s forcing you to take bikes, get on trains, hose off at the depot and try to get to work. That does not work. That does not work with my hair and heels. I cannot do that and I will not do that.”
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Sigurd:Diane Harkey, an Orange County Republican running for the 49th congressional district (in her support of repealing the gas tax, Prop 6):

“This is just fraud. It’s forcing you to take bikes, get on trains, hose off at the depot and try to get to work. That does not work. That does not work with my hair and heels. I cannot do that and I will not do that.”

Oh really?

• CommentAuthorgottobike

bikingbill:
    Sigurd:Diane Harkey, an Orange County Republican running for the 49th congressional district (in her support of repealing the gas tax, Prop 6):

Harkey Syndrome: noun If it does not immediately benefit you, block it.
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2018 edited

gottobike:
    bikingbill:

To get to my second day of canvassing in Oceanside for Mike Levin, Harkey's Democratic opponent, I rode my bike to the train station and took the coaster to Oceanside. I did not wear heels, but I did have hair, which I covered in a bandana before placing it safely under my helmet. On the train, I was able to talk and text with family members, and sit among groups of people in costumes going to Halloween parties. I was able to watch the traffic on I-5 on one side, and the Pacific Ocean on the other. I did not hose off at the train station.

I spent $10 on round trip train fare, which seemed like a lot, but was about equal to what I would have spent on gas had I driven.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2018 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2018

Shady John:
    gottobike:
    bikingbill:

To get to my second day of canvassing in Oceanside for Mike Levin, Harkey's Democratic opponent, I rode my bike to the train station and took the coaster to Oceanside. I did not wear heels, but I did have hair, which I covered in a bandana before placing it safely under my helmet. On the train, I was able to talk and text with family members, and sit among groups of people in costumes going to Halloween parties. I was able to watch the traffic on I-5 on one side, and the Pacific Ocean on the other. I did not hose off at the train station.

I spent $10 on round trip train fare, which seemed like a lot, but was about equal to what I would have spent on gas had I driven.

Another example of a female cyclist riding with a hairdo.

And a snake.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2018

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2018

sd_mike:Considering how few cyclists I see actually stopping at stop signs, I am not opposed to enforcement ... Rare do I see a cyclist stop at ANY of the intersections near me, even when there is other traffic.

I found some of these points pertinent - from Treehugger: "Instead of whining about people who walk and bike breaking the law, how about fixing the problem?"

Cyclists don't go through stop signs or ride the wrong way because they are evil law-breakers; neither are most drivers who go over the speed limit. Drivers do it because the roads are designed for cars to go fast, so they go fast. Cyclists go through stop signs because they are there to make cars go slow, not to stop bikes. Delivery people and cyclists salmon or go on the sidewalk because having to go four times as far around 10 blocks is ridiculous [in a city with a lot of one-way streets, such as Manhattan or downtown San Diego]. They do it because these systems were designed for cars. Fix the design so that it works for people and you won't have these problems or these deaths and injuries.