Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2009 edited

Also, checkout the Kinder Carriers,Cargo Bikes and Electric-assist bikes thread for more photos and info.

This was the VC's first post to this thread and I added the links above to share more information. - markphilips
    VeloCult started this thread because they wanted to see more people towing around young children.
    Most people don't know how to carry around kids on bikes and certainly don't know how to commute with them or even go shopping.
    Lets have some people with experience post photos of what they do and new members can ask the experienced riders questions.
    Also, post photos of trips you and your kids take on bikes. or even post photos of random people you see with kids while your riding.

• CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2009

Just because I don't want any kids doesn't stop me from liking other people's kids. I've been reading Jim Thill's blog for a very long time (6-7 years?), and after he started his baby blog, I just kept reading about his kids (they're adorable and soo smooshy!).

But here is how he transports his daughter:
    Jim Thill and Daughter

Jim Thill and Daughter
    • CommentAuthorProtorio
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2009

Hey - I know Jim! He rode with his daughter on very long rides - with the set-up in that bottom photo. He comes to San Diego once a year - we did a Rivendell ride with him.

So, I have a 3 year old and a new one on the way, and I've been using the Bobike Mini for my daughter. Now I have to get creative until I have the space for an xtracycle. Here we are on the old Raleigh:

Photobucket

I have her on the Kogswell now, trying it out. It gives her more room. I can't say enough good things for this seat. Its been great.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010

My step son Nic loves riding on the Electic-Xtracycle snapdeck
    nic xtracycle

My step son Nic rides with me on our BikeFriday Tandem on Critical Mass rides. This was on Halloween 2009. Lights, 50Watt boombox, costumes. Good times.
    halloweenCM

Family riding SD Tour de Fat 2009
    tdf2009
    Ok - I don't have any pics of riding, but my daughter and I rode (two years ago) the Christmas present drive that SDBC does every year. We used to hit up Coronado a lot when we lived near there. Now it's the Poway area that we find new places to ride.

As she grew older, I had to change out the handlebars on the tag-a-long to some crazy apebars.

Looking around for a used tandem, since the tag-a-long is almost too small.
    bikefridaytandem
    BIKE FRIDAYS are perfect for kids, even as small as 3 feet 6" (just over 100 centimeters). The low step-over design of the Pocket models is accessible and less intimidating for little legs, enabling a safer, better fit, particulary when it comes to tandems. Bike Fridays have a wider range of adjustability than a regular bike, so can grow with the child. Here is a collection of 'kid-Friday' stories

tandemfamily

tripletraveler
    • CommentAuthorrob1lu2
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010

I'll be able to post on here as soon as our bikes are done!
    •  
      CommentAuthoril Pirati

I’ve read about several instances of very negative encounters between know-it-all motorists and people transporting their children on bicycles. I’ve got a lot of examples, but most notably was the man who got out of his pickup to shoot a man in the face because he didn’t like that the other guy was riding on a busy street with a kid. Has anyone here experienced this sort of behavior? Obviously (I hope!) not that extreme, but have any of you had motorists explain that you are being unsafe and a bad parent? I’m just curious.
    • CommentAuthorrob1lu2

i have heard of this and it makes me nervous in so much that people really think you are putting your child in harms way by transporting them on a bicycle! can you imagine?! people wanting to call CPS because you are biking with your kids.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

il Pirati:.

I’ve read about several instances of very negative encounters between know-it-all motorists and people transporting their children on bicycles. I’ve got a lot of examples, but most notably was the man who got out of his pickup to shoot a man in the face because he didn’t like that the other guy was riding on a busy street with a kid. Has anyone here experienced this sort of behavior? Obviously (I hope!) not that extreme, but have any of you had motorists explain that you are being unsafe and a bad parent? I’m just curious.

Oh yeah ... "Fireman Bill."

And he didn't go to jail.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKathy

I have a triple tandem that I used to ride my girls around on when they were little. We didn't ride busy streets a lot, but once we were yelled at to 'get in the bike lane' (ha! as if there was one) and they they stopped at the light and yelled at me for endangering my child. It made me mad, but worse it scared my daughter into not wanting to ride on that street any more. She didn't mind the traffic so much, but it hadn't occured to her that people would actually yell at us. Stupid drivers. It's a tough situation since you don't really have time to get into a discussion at a traffic light. Some other friends of mine would ask about taking the girls on the bike 'isn't that dangerous?'. I usually countered with 'you let them ride in the car with you? Isn't that dangerous?'
    We didn't let that stop us, though. I highly recommend the tandem for kids when they get old enough. Great fun without having to worry about where and how they are riding. Plus, with the Bike Friday triple, we were always a topic of conversation wherever we went.
    Now the kids are older, and they won't ride with me any more. But they did say that the experience riding the bike made it much easier for them to learn to drive, since they already knew the traffic laws and just had to learn to work the car.
    •  
      CommentAuthoril Pirati

That's another sad thing: Kids turning 16 and never using a bicycle again until they're 30. I just saw a bike on craigslist that said "great bike, just not needed anymore as I just got my license and a car." Coming of Age in America means getting your first car.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

There are exceptions.

My brother is 55 years old and has never owned a car. He lives in NYC and walks or takes the subway to get around. He rents a car for some trips on occasion.

il Pirati:.

That's another sad thing: Kids turning 16 and never using a bicycle again until they're 30. I just saw a bike on craigslist that said "great bike, just not needed anymore as I just got my license and a car." Coming of Age in America means getting your first car.
    • CommentAuthorsurfer mike
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010 edited

<blockquote><cite> il Pirati:</cite>That's another sad thing: Kids turning 16 and never using a bicycle again until they're 30. I just saw a bike on craigslist that said "great bike, just not needed anymore as I just got my license and a car." Coming of Age in America means getting your first car.
    </blockquote>

that's pretty much me.
    i got my first car at almost 18 years of age.
    only bikes i had since then were bmx bikes. now i'm 30 (in march) and i'm starting to ride bikes again. for fun (mtn bike) and commute (road bike)
    gonna try to get some bmx bikes again this year. so much fun taking my old body out to the skate park and throwing my self down rails.
    • CommentAuthorrob1lu2
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010

@kathy - can y ou post a fab picture here of you and your fam on the triple?
    • CommentAuthorPraxis
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010

I saw a fellow (hi, Tim, if you're reading!) while I was driving who was biking with a recumbent kids trail-a-bike. I literally pulled over and flagged him down on foot to find out who made it--it's a Weehoo. Trailer hitch seems inferior to the Adams design. Pity I forgot to tell him about this forum.

I'm facing an explosion of bikes and trailers as the kids grow up, and I'm wondering what kind of storage solutions people have dreamed up. I'm thinking about building a dedicated bike shed. It looks like a FreeRadical can end up with a bike up to 8.5 feet long, and tandems are in the same range.
    • CommentAuthorrandomjive
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2010

I can't believe Velo Cult hasn't posted these yet... These were built for people on the forum, right?

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

yeah, they're on the forum. soon we will be doing an "in action" photo shoot with them. :face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorKathy

rob1lu2:@kathy - can y ou post a fab picture here of you and your fam on the triple?

I'll have to try to find one. I have a great one of my dad and the girls in Tour de Poway one year, but it's a poster and I can't scan it in...
    K
    • CommentAuthorjuanrcm
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010

Drove out to Palm Springs yesterday. I spotted a family on a quad tandem cycling down one of the side roads. There even was a baby seat attached behind the second position handlebars!
    • CommentAuthorrob1lu2
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010

@ juan - WOW!! that's awesome!

Hey! Those are <em>our </em>bikes! :D We rode our girls around on them for the first time on Saturday and they <em>loved </em>them.

It was so great because we did about 5 errands just bopping around town. One of my girls was pretty cold - especially when we would get a little speed going down hill, but otherwise they really enjoyed them.

I can't wait to go grocery shopping!
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010

thats so cool.

can you imagine needing to get something from the bottom of the bottom back though. 2 hour project trying get that bus back together and on the road again. :face-monkey:
    • CommentAuthorjuanrcm
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010

Mark, thanks for the links. That must have been them that I saw! So cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010

Awesome bike. Truly awesome parents.
    • CommentAuthorrob1lu2

Wow - that is incredible!

We got off work early yesterday and went to pick up the girls from school on the new bikes. Holy Crap. Florida Canyon/Morley Field was enough to make a grown man cry. Or at least enough to make a grown man get off his bike and walk it up the hill. And this was *before* we even got the girls on the bikes!

We elected to take a different route home so we went Robinson to Georgia to Polk to Utah to home. Thinking a gradual elevation gain would be less painful than a rapid elevation gain. Ha ha.

It is going to take us a while to build up some muscle to ride those girls and those bikes around. I'm weak!

Still really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next ride! They were also incredibly excited when they saw that they'd be riding home on the bikes!
    IT's OKAY to walk up the hills long or steep hills. I do especially when I have my child on the tandem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

keep in mind that there's a thread called "how do i get from point A to point B" on this forum. usually you never ride the same way you drive. post up your start and finish locations and someone will likely give you a great route.

also, you will get stronger with time. were you all the way in the lowest gear possible for the climbs? it's a slow haul being in the lowest gear but it should get up up the hills.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010 edited

My stepson completed his first 40 mile ride....And he's looking forward to doing it again...More pics in my FLIKR photostream
    nic Nic2
    • CommentAuthorrob1lu2
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010 edited

i was in the lowest gear - believe me. I actually used the "Ride The City" application here to get the route to the girls school. We followed it there but made up our own on the way home. Saw Thom last night at The Station, and he gave me a better route for next time.

I will get stronger. I will get stronger. I will get stronger.

Your stepson is awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010 edited

Have you seen a KidZ Tandem?

It's made by Brown Cycles in Grand Junction Colorado. It also converts into a cargo bike, front recumbent, and many more...

KidzTandem basket basketndog BabySeat roadKidz
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010

THAT is an awesome bike for kids. Now you have me thinking about modifying my Schwinn Twinn...
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010

Tweed Ride Portland 2010-61
    Just grabbed this from BikePortland.org (and thanked them). They just had a Tweed Ride.
    • CommentAuthorrob1lu2
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010

OMG - that's sweet!
    Tweed Portland is sooo Cool! I rode my Brompton on the SD Tweed ride as well. (that's the small folding bike on the left). I like the homemade crates on the Yuba Mundo.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010 edited

Hase Trets and Trike for Kids - turns into a trailer/tandem
    trets trets2
    trettrailer trailer
    More pics at Aaron's Bikeshop (then click on the Xtracycle logo) in Seattle,WA but you can get these converstions at Velo Cult in South Park.

xtracycle

xtracycle
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2010

•  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2010 edited

Speed is less important with kids, it's all about the experience, fun and adventure and many stops to check out things like the playground... Since then I've learned to slow down and breathe in the fresh air. It's one of the many ways of connecting with the kid in me.

nic
    • CommentAuthorProtorio
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010

My daughter and I have been doing a lot of rides to OB to make the sunset and play in the salt marsh. She's going to graduate to a Bobike Jr. later this year to make room for her baby sister in the Mini:

Sunset Ride

Making the Sunset at Dogs Beach
    Nice Photos Esteban.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010 edited

The Zigo Leader
    All the functionality of a carrier bicycle, bicycle trailer, jogging stroller, conventional stroller, and bicycle in one brilliant system.

http://myzigo.com/

markphilips:Nice Photos Esteban.

Seconded.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2010

Esteban,

Years from now your daughter will remember these bike rides fondly. I know my daughter does.

Very cool.
    Start them early....:face-monkey:

• CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010

In just our first few days of owning and riding our Yuba Mundo, it is already replacing trips that we used to take to by car, despite having other bikes to ride. My wife has quickly adopted it as "her new bike".

Two things make a big difference: first, even with the extra weight of the electrical system ( 20 pounds? ), the bike is still lighter and faster than the box bike, even while the assist is turned off. Second-- and this is the clincher-- the electric assist makes a big difference, both mentally and actually.

Tonight my wife mostly pedaled unassisted for the exercise, and used the electric assist to soften some less pleasant spots of the trip: helping to climb some hills, and accelerating quickly to get through spots with heavy traffic.
    Another milestone: E rode her own bike (as opposed to on the back of my bike) to the velodrome and back tonight. She only needed help on a couple of hills. I ran beside her.
    bëany:

In just our first few days of owning and riding our Yuba Mundo, it is already replacing trips that we used to take to by car, despite having other bikes to ride. My wife has quickly adopted it as "her new bike".

Two things make a big difference: first, even with the extra weight of the electrical system ( 20 pounds? ), the bike is still lighter and faster than the box bike, even while the assist is turned off. Second-- and this is the clincher-- the electric assist makes a big difference, both mentally and actually.

Tonight my wife mostly pedaled unassisted for the exercise, and used the electric assist to soften some less pleasant spots of the trip: helping to climb some hills, and accelerating quickly to get through spots with heavy traffic.

Nice! I've seen the author"Mark Stosberg in other forums. Great right up. Since installing the Wilderness electric kit a year and seven months ago, I still enjoy zooming around Carlsbad for quick errands and hauling stuff with Nick.
    Chris Taylor:Another milestone: E rode her own bike (as opposed to on the back of my bike) to the velodrome and back tonight. She only needed help on a couple of hills. I ran beside her.

Happy times!