Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorChad
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009

Anybody else ride it? Was that a blast or what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009

I missed it this year. I've been in the past and it was pretty fun, last one was 2007.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2011 edited

It's that time again for Midnight Madness in San Diego. Bring the whole family!
    If you can't do the ride at least hang out at the SD Administration parking lot from 6 pm to 12am and check out all the decorated and lighted bikes.

So am I reading this one wrong? Is it $32 to go on the ride or to enter the contest?
    Both. $32 bucks to support San Diego Hostels. You also get a T-shirt, a raffle ticket for prices (like a bicycle, and other goodies), an opportunity to join a lighted bike contests and costumes with prizes.
    Hanging out at the SD Admin parking lot is free: Pizzas and beverages are available for purchase
    Both. $32 bucks to support San Diego Hostels. You also get a T-shirt, a raffle ticket for prices (like a bicycle, and other goodies), an opportunity to join a lighted bike contests and costumes with prizes.
    Hanging out at the SD Admin parking lot is free: Pizzas and beverages are available for purchase
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2011 edited

The woman who wore the Avatar costume + lighted tree on a custom bike rack won costume prize ( roundtrip tickets from Alaska Airlines)

It was great to hang out at the parking lot at the SDCBC booth. Saw Kathy, Maria O, Andrea and Aaron, sd_mike, and Celeste, Robert, Hans

We avoided the mass start at the parking lot. Instead, we waited at Grape and Harbor drive along with many cyclists.

It was surreal riding along harbor drive to see two lanes for bicyclists and ONLY one lane for automobiles.
    Riding side by side with my wife and son was great .We took the width of a full lane -- no single file-ing --- with plenty of space for other cyclists to pass us.

Great ride overall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2011

It was a lot of fun. They had the idea of breaking the group into arbitrary sections, as to have breaks in the procession for motor traffic to cut through. Having it delineated from the cars and police at every intersection wasn't what I personally am into, but if it gets people of all ages out together, and on bicycles, it's all right with me. Met loads of new people, and pretty much depleted my inventory of sdbikecommuter cards. All the people I tried to entice into going, dropped out of going, so I didn't take the time to decorate or costume, so I ended up feeling like I was just a participant instead of a contributor to the "parade". Had a great time, just the same. Next year I'll have monkey lights!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2014

Sadly:

The Midnight Madness Fun Bicycle Ride® will be on hiatus for 2014. After 40 years, it's time for us to reorganize. We plan to have the Ride back in 2015, with the help of partners, to make the event bigger and better than ever!
    When we have a more detailed plan, look for a ‘save the date’ message on this page.
    Thank you for being the crazy wonderful riders and supporters who have made this ride a blast for four decades!

Maybe we should organize a Mini-Midnight-Madness ride?
    A mini-midnight madness ride sounds like a great idea