Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhil
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009 edited

A side conversation from this past Downtownies ride about folding bikes piqued my interest. I've seen Marshal on his, and I know Esteban posted his somewhere on here. Anyone else have one? Raleigh 20 Thom - this one is definitely CCAS worthy!
    Moulton
    Brompton World Championship

Moderator edit: Added mini-velos to this thread.
    ive always liked these, but i cant find any advantages other then they fold up
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhil
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009

Apparently, one can really boogie on a folding bike. Someone did the the recent Rivendell Appreciation Society ride on one (see the photos Esteban posted on the randonneuring thread).
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhil

• CommentAuthorthom

Something tells me Phil is going to show up on a folder sometime soon! That white Raleigh Twenty is just mmmmmm...

@Brian: I think the main advantage is the folding. That's just a guess, though...:face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhil

thom:Something tells me Phil is going to show up on a folder sometime soon!
    Hahahaha it started with just looking at pictures of Raleigh Twenties, then I was looking at the Moultons and Bromptons. But then I saw this ...

If enough people in San Diego were into folders, they should totally start folding bike races - jacket and tie required!
    •  
      CommentAuthoril Pirati

I see folding bikes on the ferry all the time. Well, maybe it's only one or two guys, but they're out there.
    • CommentAuthorProtorio

That Twenty is about the best I've seen.

Yes - the benefit is that they fold. They work best on and off mass transit, and if you go in and out of offices, cafes, etc, and don't want to lock your bike up. Sometimes, I cycle somewhere, meet people, and get a ride home in a car (gasp!) - and the folder comes in handy in such situations. They also work great for travel bikes, if city riding is the main thing. I go to at least one academic conference a year, and when I went to a meeting in Chicago this year, it was very cool to have a little bike to see the city on. But if I were getting a true travel bike I'd get S&S couplers or a Breakaway, or a custom using breakaway lugs. But then those can't be rolled into a cafe.

I had an old Brompton 3-speed (not unlike the one Eric from MN rode on the Riv ride), which I thought was quite dandy...but I wanted something I could go farther with and would ride more like a regular bike and had parts I could change out. Luckily, Bromptons hold their value, and I was able to swap it out for this:

Photobucket

Fun bike, really. Its a circus bike, sure. They look funny...then you look at them enough, and they start to look pretty cool. That's when you've really crossed the geek line. PS - I've got to get on a Sunday ride - maybe this week with my daughter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009

i really only want one folding bike. one day i'll find one.

i feel a new project for me
    • CommentAuthorProtorio
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2009

Cool Moulton!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

On the Bay Area Rapid Transit (more commonly known as BART), traveling with bicycles is highly restricted during AM and PM rush hours. However, folding bicycles are allowed on the trains at all times.

This would be a good enough reason for many to get a "folder"!

Does anyone know what airlines' policy - if any - are for shipping and charging for folders?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam

Scott D, a local frame builder, purchased a Dannon? folder to take with him on a protracted trip. Pretty interesting, and he's happy with it's performance so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhil

Njord Noatun:Does anyone know what airlines' policy - if any - are for shipping and charging for folders?
    As much as it costs as a check-in bag! Dahon (William - this is probably the brand you have in mind for Scott D's folder) has a bike, the Speed P8, that weights 27.8 lbs. Bag + plus some stuff to pad it with will still be less than 50 lbs - under what airports consider oversized luggage.
    • CommentAuthorProtorio
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2009

So, airlines can be strict about traveling bicycles. Its always worth checking the policy. My Tikit fit in a Samsonite 31" Flight suitcase I picked up on clearance at Macy's (the same one they sell on their site for much more money). It is barely within the size limit, and I loaded it up with a few items besides the bike - 45 lbs. I just checked it in as regular luggage, no charge, no foul. There are a few bikes that are small enough or fold smart enough to do this. My old Brompton had a canvas case I would check in no problem either.

Photobucket
    •  
      CommentAuthorShapps
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2009 edited

http://www.flylyf.com/eco-07-the-reinvention-of-the-wheel/

I don't know if I trust folding wheels.

Protorio you've got the Tikit! Nice. I'm saving up for a Seasoned Tikit.

I'm a big fan of both Bromptons and BikeFridays. Checkout my FLIKR photos

Here's a few Youtube links worth checking out when deciding which folding bikes to get:

Tikit or Brompton?

Round up FastFold Showdown
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2009 edited

People often ask me BUT.....don't you have to pedal more? The answer is NO..... Click on this BikeFriday FAQ for more facts.

I rode the Brompton (with 16" wheels) in SD CM few times. Last August, CM went across Coronado bridge, Silverstrand, then return to Balboa Park (approximately 40 miles) and I was able to keep up at 10-15mph on the flats. It's easier to climb hills with smaller wheels. Most modern folding bikes will have 20 inch wheels (think BMX wheels). Have you seen how fast BMXers ride? For normal commuting or touring it is adequate.

Brompton at Interbike - Cute Cycle Chic
    Gil Penalosa's (Ciclovia) new ride
    Brompton can be gate-checked (like a wheel chair or baby stroller) when boarding an airplane.
    The BikeFriday Speeding Tikit
    Tikit teaser
    Sky, Pashley Moulton for sale on craigslist (location San Rafael)
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/1542251150.html
    moulton
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010

I was told some airlines will let you "gate check" a Brompton, in the same manner you would a stroller.

That would be enough for me to get one. I do quite a bit of flying and it would be nice to avoid having to pay for the taxi.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2010 edited

Yes it is true. You can gate check a Brompton just before boarding the plane. Take a look at my previous post in this thread...Also check out Portland's Clevercycles.com's blog about the Brompton.

Brompton can be gate-checked (like a wheel chair or baby stroller) when boarding an airplane.
    Andrew Ritchie - designer of the Brompton bicycle - shows how to fold and unfold the Brompton bicycle.

Photobucket
    •  
      CommentAuthorKathy
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010

Love the office folding bike! the 'foldieness' is good for a conversation starter, the super-low cross bar makes it easy to get on and off in a skirt, and I, too occasionally transport it by car and the folding makes it easily fit in the trunk. Very handy all round.
    Hmmm...which color Brommie should I ride today? Would be nice to have a whole closet filled with bike and gear...

brommie closet
    brooksrack
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010

^ i've always liked Clever Cycles bike shop in Portland.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

I really REALLY could have used one of those today. :face-sad:
    brooks b17, origin8 tiki bars, fizik tape, cane creek v levers, wellgo mag pedals(bulky but super grippy) and im on the search for a rear 8spd barend shifter but for now i bored, filed and rigged up a 6 spd friction shifter.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

that folder is really sharp looking Brian. The black brooks with black Soft Touch Fizik bar tape look really good on there.
    ^^^
    thanks.
    once i get the bar end shifter on there and some decent brakes i think i will be totally satisfied.
    I really love my Brompton. Been commuting on it now for a year or so here in Mexico City, where the small wheels and thin profile makes it a little easier to move around in a city strangled by constant traffic. Tried out a Dahon and a Giant before getting the Brompton, which felt to me just a bit more sturdy, and speedy - but everybody's different. I've thrown it into the back of cramped taxis, clung to it in a packed subway car, and stowed it in the bottom of my closet. Funny thing: Bromptons are sold cheaper in Mexico than the US or EU. Dealer says he gets a "third world discount," and passes it on. I love my Brommie, but I have to say, that pic of Protorio's Bike Friday just makes my mouth water...beautiful bike! Hopefully I'll see it soon on a Sunday ride as we are in the midst of a move back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010

a quick update on my Moulton Space Bike.

i have this at the powder coat shop finally. i had some suspension issues that held me up from plans of restoring this but i finally that got that bug worked out and im pack on the project. i also had my local frame builder modify the front derailleur mount. next time i post about it there will be a shiny new coat of paint. soon after that it will built up and looking hot.

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010

I test rode some Brompton's in SF yesterday (the shop near the train station).

I have a flight into SF on Tuesday with a meeting, yes again, on Sand Hill Rd. in Menlo Park. There goes $40 in taxi fare.

One I can figure out if Virgin America will let me 'gate-check' this, I'm going to find one.

It felt very solid, even under my 225lbs/6' 3" mass.
    bikingbill:I test rode some Brompton's in SF yesterday (the shop near the train station).

One I can figure out if Virgin America will let me 'gate-check' this, I'm going to find one.

It felt very solid, even under my 225lbs/6' 3" mass.

Get the folded dimensions from the Brompton website. It falls in the categories size of strollers and baby car seats.
    markphilips:My work colleagues and I installed a robotics system in a laboratory this week. I parked the car at the Glider port and then rode the Giant Halfway folding bike to the UCSD campus. Since it rained on/off this week, I folded the bike, wheeled it in the building and tucked it underneath a table.

• CommentAuthorProtorio
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2010

That does work nice!

For what its worth, one time I rolled my Tikit into Gisel Library and the attendant stated that I couldn't bring it in. Made me mad :)
    • CommentAuthorthom

Saw this vintage Sears folder at the Adams Ave. Roots Fest today. I love the look of the racks on the old Sears folders.

Photobucket
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

^ i believe that's Arron Bowen's new rig.
    No that's not mine I have a black one and I love it!! Pics coming soon
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010 edited

progress report on the Moulton. today i got it back from the powder coat guys. it's coated in a copper metallic.

here's how it looks in the light

coming along

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010 edited

VW to replace spare tire on their bik.e model with electric folder.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010

some little wheeled bike inspiration

Velo Cult:progress report on the Moulton. today i got it back from the powder coat guys. it's coated in a copper metallic.

Nice metallic red color. I really like it. I'll come by Friday to check it out.
    Njord Noatun:VW to replace spare tire on their bik.e model with electric folder.

That is absolutely amazing! I bet it has very high price tag.... The animated folding action is 1:00 minute in the video.

Ride through tours the newly renovated CleverCycles store on a Brompton.

•  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2010

Njord Noatun:VW to replace spare tire on their bik.e model with electric folder.

I love the folding geometry and aesthetics. Absolutely beautiful. I would however, like to see pedals replace the electric motor for it's power source.
    Not only would it be more environmentally friendly, but unless it had a plug-in battery tender connected (using more energy), the battery could easily be dead when you went to pull this out of storage... Absolutely beautiful, however Germans aren't known for beauty. Their beauty stems from the art of practicality and quality, followed by form. Show me some pedals, bitte!
    :face-plain:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2010

Hans: I would however, like to see pedals replace the electric motor for it's power source. Not only would it be more environmentally friendly, but unless it had a plug-in battery tender connected (using more energy), the battery could easily be dead when you went to pull this out of storage.
    I, too, would have liked to have seen pedals.

According to the article:
    ...the bik.e's batteries can be replenished by a car's DC current...
    The bike battery could therefore be designed to charge by the alternator while the engine is running, so that the bike is always fully charged when needed.
    It's amazing what you can find at Amazon.com

Schwinn Loop Folding Bike