Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2016

For those looking for a Brompton at slight discount, NYCE Wheels is reducing the price on in-stock 2016 Bromptons. Savings are around a couple hundred off retail. Still not sub-$1000, but it's something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2016

Geoff:For those looking for a Brompton at slight discount, NYCE Wheels is reducing the price on in-stock 2016 Bromptons. Savings are around a couple hundred off retail. Still not sub-$1000, but it's something.

Makes sense, the British Pound is worth a lot less now.
    markphilips:
    Cornelia:John / Sigurd / Dave, many thanks for the recommendation, much appreciated!

Mark, "fragile tag" as in the waiver form releasing Southwest from any liability for damage? Yes, I had to sign one of those for the bike, it is "sign the form or stay home".

It is an actual FRAGILE TAG that you strap on Fragile baggage like strollers, golf clubs, etc. So if you have to gate check the bike appears just before you get off the plane. If luggage check, the handlers will not put the Brompton in the standard luggage carousel where most damage can be done due to how the conveyor drops bags onto the carousel. Instead, the handlers drop it off by hand to a side gate near the carousels along with surf boards, golf clubs, etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2017 edited

Damon's latest CURL design is very Brompton like:

Why is Dahon is on Kick Starter to fund the production of the Curl?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2017

markphilips:Why is Dahon is on Kick Starter to fund the production of the Curl?

Why not? It's a test of the market. If they get enough orders, then they know it makes sense to go to production. It tales the financial risk out of the product.

As to the new Curl, it doesn't seem to fold as small as a Brompton. Also the 'snark' factor in that video is annoying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2017

HOW TO GET A BROMPTON ONTO A FLIGHT AS CARRY-ON LUGGAGE

I've been asked so many times about this, so I took pics yesterday on my flight back from Seattle:

So, we're at the airport. Time to pack the Brompton.

Let the folding begin. Note that the C-Bag is pretty much full, almost a weeks worth of clothing, laptop etc.

The C-Bag packed to the brim. Note the laptop.

The telescoping seat post allows me to remove the seat easily.

Bike folded with seat and it's separate post removed.

The seat&post are in the C-Bag. FYI: I had forgetten a bottle of water in the C-Bag, so the bag got a full exam, TSA handling the seat and post, and no objections.

The seat and its post moved into the C-Bag.

It fits!

And we're off

• CommentAuthorallanorn
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2017

bikingbill:HOW TO GET A BROMPTON ONTO A FLIGHT AS CARRY-ON LUGGAGE

I've been asked so many times about this, so I took pics yesterday on my flight back from Seattle:

Nice! Which airline did you take to Seattle? How did any interactions go with airline staff?

I love my M6R (British Racing Green), though I have to always allocate more time to get things done if I'm riding it. I'm usually getting stopped at least once a trip to explain the bike!
    allanorn:

Nice! Which airline did you take to Seattle? How did any interactions go with airline staff?

I love my M6R (British Racing Green), though I have to always allocate more time to get things done if I'm riding it. I'm usually getting stopped at least once a trip to explain the bike!

In the big picture of things. A Brompton is a "mobility" device which enables you to get things done. This means shopping, going to work, touring, traveling, portaging and multi-modal travel. Do you use the "invisibility cloak" - a.k.a. rain cover when traveling by air?
    • CommentAuthorallanorn
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2017

markphilips:

In the big picture of things. A Brompton is a "mobility" device which enables you to get things done. This means shopping, going to work, touring, traveling, portaging and multi-modal travel. Do you use the "invisibility cloak" - a.k.a. rain cover when traveling by air?

I've only had the Brompton a couple of months, but I'm planning ahead. I have the rain cover and an IKEA Dimpa bag.

I rode the Brompton from SD to Oceanside yesterday (about 45 miles) and had about half a dozen people ask about the bike :) I've been reading of others who have had varying degrees of success regarding air travel with a Brompton (checking, gate-checking, carry-on) but anything recent is always appreciated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2017 edited

allanorn:

Southwest Airlines. Had a nice chat with the attendant on the flight up. They were impressed.

I've also done this on Virgin America and British Air. I just use the standard nylon cover. Note the OffYerBike handle. Makes it easier to carry.

Note: I have TSA Precheck via GOES. Having the seat removed makes it go through the X-Ray machines without fuss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2017

Note: There were several Brompton's on Bike-The-Bay yesterday.

(I rode my Bacchetta Recumbent)
    • CommentAuthorallanorn
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2017

bikingbill:
    Southwest Airlines. Had a nice chat with the attendant on the flight up. They were impressed.

I've also done this on Virgin America and British Air. I just use the standard nylon cover. Note the OffYerBike handle. Makes it easier to carry.

Note: I have TSA Precheck via GOES. Having the seat removed makes it go through the X-Ray machines without fuss.

Makes sense. Southwest has been really good with Brompton riders in general. I have a trip to Seattle with Alaska and was thinking about taking the bike up. I also have plans for a OffYerBike and some better rack wheels first.