Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2016

For those looking for a Brompton at slight discount, NYCE Wheels is reducing the price on in-stock 2016 Bromptons. Savings are around a couple hundred off retail. Still not sub-$1000, but it's something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2016

Geoff:For those looking for a Brompton at slight discount, NYCE Wheels is reducing the price on in-stock 2016 Bromptons. Savings are around a couple hundred off retail. Still not sub-$1000, but it's something.

Makes sense, the British Pound is worth a lot less now.
    markphilips:
    Cornelia:John / Sigurd / Dave, many thanks for the recommendation, much appreciated!

Mark, "fragile tag" as in the waiver form releasing Southwest from any liability for damage? Yes, I had to sign one of those for the bike, it is "sign the form or stay home".

It is an actual FRAGILE TAG that you strap on Fragile baggage like strollers, golf clubs, etc. So if you have to gate check the bike appears just before you get off the plane. If luggage check, the handlers will not put the Brompton in the standard luggage carousel where most damage can be done due to how the conveyor drops bags onto the carousel. Instead, the handlers drop it off by hand to a side gate near the carousels along with surf boards, golf clubs, etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2017 edited

Damon's latest CURL design is very Brompton like:

Why is Dahon is on Kick Starter to fund the production of the Curl?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2017

markphilips:Why is Dahon is on Kick Starter to fund the production of the Curl?

Why not? It's a test of the market. If they get enough orders, then they know it makes sense to go to production. It tales the financial risk out of the product.

As to the new Curl, it doesn't seem to fold as small as a Brompton. Also the 'snark' factor in that video is annoying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2017

HOW TO GET A BROMPTON ONTO A FLIGHT AS CARRY-ON LUGGAGE

I've been asked so many times about this, so I took pics yesterday on my flight back from Seattle:

So, we're at the airport. Time to pack the Brompton.

Let the folding begin. Note that the C-Bag is pretty much full, almost a weeks worth of clothing, laptop etc.

The C-Bag packed to the brim. Note the laptop.

The telescoping seat post allows me to remove the seat easily.

Bike folded with seat and it's separate post removed.

The seat&post are in the C-Bag. FYI: I had forgetten a bottle of water in the C-Bag, so the bag got a full exam, TSA handling the seat and post, and no objections.

The seat and its post moved into the C-Bag.

It fits!

And we're off

• CommentAuthorallanorn
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2017

bikingbill:HOW TO GET A BROMPTON ONTO A FLIGHT AS CARRY-ON LUGGAGE

I've been asked so many times about this, so I took pics yesterday on my flight back from Seattle:

Nice! Which airline did you take to Seattle? How did any interactions go with airline staff?

I love my M6R (British Racing Green), though I have to always allocate more time to get things done if I'm riding it. I'm usually getting stopped at least once a trip to explain the bike!
    allanorn:

Nice! Which airline did you take to Seattle? How did any interactions go with airline staff?

I love my M6R (British Racing Green), though I have to always allocate more time to get things done if I'm riding it. I'm usually getting stopped at least once a trip to explain the bike!

In the big picture of things. A Brompton is a "mobility" device which enables you to get things done. This means shopping, going to work, touring, traveling, portaging and multi-modal travel. Do you use the "invisibility cloak" - a.k.a. rain cover when traveling by air?
    • CommentAuthorallanorn
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2017

markphilips:

In the big picture of things. A Brompton is a "mobility" device which enables you to get things done. This means shopping, going to work, touring, traveling, portaging and multi-modal travel. Do you use the "invisibility cloak" - a.k.a. rain cover when traveling by air?

I've only had the Brompton a couple of months, but I'm planning ahead. I have the rain cover and an IKEA Dimpa bag.

I rode the Brompton from SD to Oceanside yesterday (about 45 miles) and had about half a dozen people ask about the bike :) I've been reading of others who have had varying degrees of success regarding air travel with a Brompton (checking, gate-checking, carry-on) but anything recent is always appreciated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2017 edited

allanorn:

Southwest Airlines. Had a nice chat with the attendant on the flight up. They were impressed.

I've also done this on Virgin America and British Air. I just use the standard nylon cover. Note the OffYerBike handle. Makes it easier to carry.

Note: I have TSA Precheck via GOES. Having the seat removed makes it go through the X-Ray machines without fuss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2017

Note: There were several Brompton's on Bike-The-Bay yesterday.

(I rode my Bacchetta Recumbent)
    • CommentAuthorallanorn
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2017

bikingbill:
    Southwest Airlines. Had a nice chat with the attendant on the flight up. They were impressed.

I've also done this on Virgin America and British Air. I just use the standard nylon cover. Note the OffYerBike handle. Makes it easier to carry.

Note: I have TSA Precheck via GOES. Having the seat removed makes it go through the X-Ray machines without fuss.

Makes sense. Southwest has been really good with Brompton riders in general. I have a trip to Seattle with Alaska and was thinking about taking the bike up. I also have plans for a OffYerBike and some better rack wheels first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2018

On Wednesday I had a speaking engagement at the Disneyland Hotel.

Parking there was $60 for the day, parking garage about 20 min away (walking) $16.

So I parked for free at the Anaheim transit center and rode my Brompton 3.5 miles to the hotel. Because it folds so small, the hotel didn't have any issues with holding it at the Bell Desk (for free, I did tip of course).

Another example of how a very small folding bike can save you $$$.

Which is why I have this bike.
    • CommentAuthorfjl307
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2018

bikingbill:On Wednesday I had a speaking engagement at the Disneyland Hotel.

Parking there was $60 for the day, parking garage about 20 min away (walking) $16.

So I parked for free at the Anaheim transit center and rode my Brompton 3.5 miles to the hotel. Because it folds so small, the hotel didn't have any issues with holding it at the Bell Desk (for free, I did tip of course).

What gearing do you have on your Brompton? I'd like to pick one up sometime this year. Is a 3 speed good enough for all the hills around SD or is the 6 speed (more $$) worth it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2018

fjl307:
    bikingbill:On Wednesday I had a speaking engagement at the Disneyland Hotel.

What gearing do you have on your Brompton? I'd like to pick one up sometime this year. Is a 3 speed good enough for all the hills around SD or is the 6 speed (more $$) worth it?

I have the 6-speed with the low gear option because I live at the top of a serious climb (Alga in Carlsbad) and I'm a larger rider.

Alga

Brompton in Brussels
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2018

I have 6 speed reduced also.
    • CommentAuthorallanorn
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2018

Thirded for the six-speed gear-reduced option.

Though I did see a three-speed locked up (with only a D-lock) at the Albertsons on 14th and Market this past Saturday. Kind of surprising to walk by one there!
    • CommentAuthorfjl307
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2018 edited

Sold. Except not right now because I just bought new wheels (with a Dynamo hub) for my commuter.
    Someday though.

Edit: Sold and ordered. Impulse buy
    • CommentAuthorbossvoss
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2018

4x for 6-speed with the low gear option
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2018

Brompton's Can Climb, and I am no lightweight.

Yesterday's ride:

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2018

I did a Podcast about Bromptons and bicycle commuting in Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley:

https://soundcloud.com/biketalk/william-volk
    bikingbill:I did a Podcast about Bromptons and bicycle commuting in Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley:
    Nice talk. You did well to articulate answers to questions that weren't asked. A very thoughtful discussion on the utility of bike commuting, ease of bike commuting and health benefits of bike commuting from the perspective of a life long practitioner of the art. Constructive critique of the state of local infrastructure and solutions to improve such. I hope this podcast gets a wide audience. Well done!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2018

Old Knotty Buoy:
    bikingbill:I did a Podcast about Bromptons and bicycle commuting in Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley:
    Nice talk. You did well to articulate answers to questions that weren't asked. A very thoughtful discussion on the utility of bike commuting, ease of bike commuting and health benefits of bike commuting from the perspective of a life long practitioner of the art. Constructive critique of the state of local infrastructure and solutions to improve such. I hope this podcast gets a wide audience. Well done!

Thank you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2018

New max slope on the Brompton:

• CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2018

bikingbill:New max slope on the Brompton:

Impressive!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2018

Shady John:
    bikingbill:New max slope on the Brompton:

Impressive!

I had to re-tension the rear wheel after a few weeks of these climbs, spokes were coming loose as the torque was un-tensioning the "non-pulling" spokes on the rear. It's also wearing down the rear Marathon tire too. :-)
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2018

Bill, what gearing do you have on that bike? Are you out of the saddle on that climb? When I briefly had a folding bike (a Downtube, not a Brompton), I was afraid to put much effort into out-of-the-saddle climbs, for fear of shearing off the long extended stem. I know that Bromptons are built tougher, but still would be concerned about this--or am I underestimating Bromptons?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2018 edited

Shady John:Bill, what gearing do you have on that bike? Are you out of the saddle on that climb? When I briefly had a folding bike (a Downtube, not a Brompton), I was afraid to put much effort into out-of-the-saddle climbs, for fear of shearing off the long extended stem. I know that Bromptons are built tougher, but still would be concerned about this--or am I underestimating Bromptons?

I have the low gearing option, the 6 speed with the smallest chainring (Model H6L). My lowest gear is 29.1". I'm also over 6'2" tall and weigh in at around 240lbs (I'm dropping weight since I moved here during the week).

I'm 'muscling' the bike up the hill, not quite out of the saddle but unweighing it enough so the B67 seat springs make a heck of a lot of noise. The bike doesn't feel like it's flexing much, the stem is steel. It never feels floppy.

I agree that on a typical folding bike, I'd probably be breaking stuff.

I am wearing down the rear tire doing this. I suspect I'll have to replace it sometime this summer.

Note: I do this in office casual clothes. Dress shoes and all.
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2018

29" gear is knee-buster territory. For steep stuff I would either be in the saddle in my 22/36 on a 29er (about 16" gear) or maybe out of the saddle in a 32/36 or 32/32 (26-23" gear). Office casual on the way home, but with SPD clipless pedals.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2018

Shady John:29" gear is knee-buster territory. For steep stuff I would either be in the saddle in my 22/36 on a 29er (about 16" gear) or maybe out of the saddle in a 32/36 or 32/32 (26-23" gear). Office casual on the way home, but with SPD clipless pedals.

I was fortunate to quit playing football after one year (Jr. High). My knees are fine with this sort of cycling and my legs are ok with it too. My leg press strength is ... max on the machine at the gym.

What's amusing is seeing my resting HR drop because of the daily 28% grade (the 35% is the alternate route). All good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2018

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2018

Paul:Selling mine:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282967083486?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

That is a nice deal and I am an idiot for not getting mine with the SON Lighting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2018

Cal Coast Bicycles on Adams Avenue is now a Brompton dealer (their website hasn't been updated yet).

This is good news as I lost my other two dealerships (Metro and Carlsbad Family Bicycles).

Time for a new rear tire.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2018

Cal Coast Bicycles (San Diego) did a nice job servicing my Brompton.

My other dealers (Metro and Family Bikes in Carlsbad) are gone. I decided to try Cal Coast as one of the mechanics who used to work at Velocult San Diego works there now.

They did good work on a tune-up and tire swap on my Brompton. Which is a good thing as my Brompton is my sole transport when I'm in LA during the week.
    I rode a friend's MiniVelo from Sundeal V2 with a 7 speed Nexus IGH and sporty 451 ISO wheels. It is a very swift urban whip. It retails for $275

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2018

Chromed Steel? Nice.
    • CommentAuthorchanontb
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2018 edited

bicyclista:Hi guys and gals!

I decided to sell my SOMA Ti Journey, a unique titanium-frame folding road bike. I have too many bikes and I don't use it enough:

craiglist

Rare and unique titanium-frame folding road bike for one-third its original price! Robust yet lightweight. Easy to fold. Very firm lock keeps frame rigid in unfolded position for a stable ride. Quick acceleration!

Quality components: heat-treated, high strength alloy Velocity Deep-V wheels, quick-release Shimano Deore hubs, Ritchey cranks, centerpull brakes (Shimano Deore in back), 9-speed cassette (2X in front), Shimano 105 rear derailleur, Shimano Ultegra front derailleur, Shimano Tiagra/Sora "brifters" i.e. integrated brake levers and shifters, lightweight Masi SLS saddle, quick-release seat post, Nitto handlebars with cushioned black tape.

Five tires are included in this sale: two Schalbe Light Stevio 20x1 1/8, one Tioga 20x1.75 slick, one Maxxis 20x1.75 knobby, and one Primo Comet 20x1.35 tire. Four tubes are included as well.

Because of the wide range of adjustability of the seatpost, this bike can probably accommodate short through tall riders. However, the reach to the handlebars may be a bit long for short torsos, and tall people may not like riding on 20-inch wheels. My guess is that this bike fits anybody between 5'6" and 5'10".

According to the website foldingcyclist.com, "The Soma Ti Journey folding bike featured a titanium frame built by Panasonic. The bike was sold by Soma Fabrications from 2001 to 2003. It could be ordered as a frame only for $1600 or built as a road bike as shown above for $2800." <

http://www.foldingcyclist.com/Soma-Ti-Journey-folding-bike.html

The frame alone is worth this price! The wheels and components alone are worth this price! Excellent condition! Take this Journey with you when you travel!
    /blockquote>

I found and want to buy Soma ti journey bike. How I can found it and my locate at South San Francisco.

My contact email chanontb@gmail.com

Best Regards.