CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2012

LOL...

That is a really funny video!
    :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012 edited

Kinetics 8 speed Brompton Conversion kit with an 8 speed Sturmey Archer IGH by Ben Cooper
    http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/8-speed.shtml

More details on FLIKR
    In the Daejeon Expo Park

8-speed Brompton in green

A couple more 8-spd Brompton kits
    Mark,

The smaller chain ring on the the cranks gives much easer access to the hinge bolt on the drive side for regular checking and maintenance. That's got to provide some piece of mind!

OKB
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012

Do they do what without having to spread the stays? Very cool.

The 8speed SA IGH has a good rep.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012

A dozen Bromptons on display at the Off Ramp bike shop just south of Palo Alto, CA
    IMG02513-20120304-1106.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2012 edited

Cool design for a cable free bicycle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012

Brompton toolkit coming soon:

The Brompton toolkit includes a ring spanner, innovative interlocking tire levers (patent pending) and self-adhesive puncture repair patches, as well as a reversible ratchet wrench that drives four double ended tool bits. The tire levers include two sizes of spanner wrenches. This gives you ten tools needed to adjust and maintain a Brompton. All this fits neatly inside the frame, held in place with magnets and a molded rubber grip. Hidden out of the way of dirt, it is always handy and ready for use.

http://www.foldingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=740&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
    I've been stashing small essential tools like a mini-adjustable wrench, 5 and 6 mm allen keys, and patches wrapped in a rag inside the Brompton maintube but I really like the design of that Brompton toolkit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

Good idea Mark. I can only imagine what Brompton is going to charge for this-- will it be an accessory to the $400 riding jacket?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

PVC Pipe and some ingenuity might produce something decent.
    A closer look of the new Brompton Toolkit
    Brompton Toolkit
    Now this is clever and, what’s more, it’s British, by Jove. West London’s Brompton have designed a new toolkit that tucks away inside the folding frame, and it's another prodct than won a design award over here in Taipei Bicycle Show.

•  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2012

DANG iT! I wish I still had that 900 bucks cash on hand from last week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

Wow. 900 bucks is very reasonable for a new M6L w/Brooks and C bag.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

That's so perfect. Just can't spare the $$$ now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity

What would a new M6L go for?
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2012 edited

M6L w/Brooks and C bag would in the range of 1.5K to 1.6K
    • CommentAuthorSerge2

<blockquote><cite> markphilips:</cite>M6L w/Brooks and C bag would in the range of 15K to 16K</blockquote> Don't forget the decimal point! I'm sure you meant 1.5K to 1.6K, LOL. MSRP is $1483 for the M6L
    [[_linker_]]
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity

Forgive me if this is obvious but the frame does not change throughout the line up, correct?

The "M" in the model M6L means it is the U-Shaped bar. The "6" means it has six gears and the "L" means it has no rack?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

svelocity:Forgive me if this is obvious but the frame does not change throughout the line up, correct?

The "M" in the model M6L means it is the U-Shaped bar. The "6" means it has six gears and the "L" means it has no rack?

Exactly.
    Here is a great image about the different types of Bromptons from CleverCycles
    Serge2:
    markphilips:M6L w/Brooks and C bag would in the range of 15K to 16K

Don't forget the decimal point!

I'm sure you meant 1.5K to 1.6K, LOL.

MSRP is $1483 for the M6L

http://www.foldabikes.com/PriceListHTML/pricelist.php

According to CleverCycles' Brompton configurator this setup retails for $1849+tax+shipping. Still a very good deal.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2012 edited

I contacted the seller and she is out of the country in Italy. Note that this Brompton was previously listed on Ebay last February 13, 2012 in Washington D.C. (I still have it on my watch list) but the transaction failed because the (only) bidder lacked sufficient funds the price of $1430. The bike is currently in the possession of UPS awaiting to be shipped once an Ebay/Paypal transaction is completed. The asking price is for the Brompton, C Bag, and shipping. Great deal but Paypal at your own risk.

Subject: RE: BromptonBicycle 900 - $900

Hi,

Thanks for being interested in buying my BromptonBicycle 900 - $900‏‏‏‏ !
    I will start my email by telling you that I'm currently out of country so pick up isn't an option. Right now I'm in Italy, just arrived here 3 days ago.
    Before I left I found a buyer and I had everything arranged. I paid for the shipping and almost sent it to him. But yesterday the buyer that I had asked me to wait another 4 weeks because he suddenly had other priorities and he is out of money for the moment.
    I can't wait this long as I arrive in Italy 3 days ago, and i really need the money, I am in the moving process, changing the work place and everything. A major issue is that if you want to buy my bike Pro you really need to have the money ready for it.
    The bike is as described, in perfect condition and if you accept the deal, it will be delivered at your home address (the bike remained in the custody of UPS, only waiting for a new receiver).
    Total price, with shippi ng included, will be $900 and the transaction will be made only through eBay because i am not in the country anymore and this way it's safer for both (the transaction will be handled by the eBay Buyer Protection Program).
    If you are interested please let me know and I'll send you other instructions regarding the transaction thru eBay and delivery!

Warmest regards,
    Clara Thompson

PS: If you need more photos or other info regarding the bike please let me know !
    • CommentAuthorProtorio
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2012

Rode the Brommie (its a M6L, too) while cafe-hopping around San Francisco. SF is bike-theft central, so it was nice to bring the bike inside while working.
    Design
    Looks sharp! I wouldn't even leave any bike in SF for a split second.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012

Brompton fans here's your next must have accessory!

Brompton meeting in Barcelona
    Brompton on a shopping cart
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012

This just showed up on Swift Industries' Instagram:

Lust!

http://instagr.am/p/JP-HLhQ9Or/

7 things you should give up to be a happy cyclist from the LondonCyclist Blog

7. Give up on being annoyed when a Brompton overtakes you: Something that always puts a smile on my face is when a Brompton overtakes me. For some reason it always seems like an insult to be overtaken by something with such small wheels. Yet, as I find myself here writing about it, I can’t help thinking how silly that is! What does it matter if someone on a Brompton has overtaken me?

:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2012 edited

My usual commute/adventure: bike to train station, take the train to Solana Beach, then bike/walk up Torrey Pines Hill State Park side. I got off work early and got an unexpected ride as an old friend was heading to Carlsbad. So I tossed the Brompton and bag in the small trunk of her Ford Mustang rental.

Coaster Station
    IMG03084-20120427-0930.jpg
    Getting ready to get off at Solana Beach Station
    IMG03066-20120425-1532.jpg
    Stopped by Fletcher Cove in Solana Beach
    IMG03090-20120427-0953.jpg
    Got an unexpected ride back home and catch up on life events.
    IMG03095-20120427-1345.jpg
    Turbo Bob made this video while I took the NYcewheels E-Brompton. It has a Sanyo 350W brushless direct drive hub motor with a 36V Lithium-ion batteries stored in the Brompton cummuter bag. If you liked to go the the distance or quickly get to your destination this is one great package: Foldable human-electric hybrid bicycle that can be put in a back seat of a car, taxi, in the bus, a plane, or boat. Perhaps I will get another opportunity to test ride this thin up Torrey Pines hill, Washington, or Presidio. There are lighter (half the weight with more torque) motor options from ElectricbikesLA compared to the one in the video.

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2012

That's the bike I test rode at Earth Day. Never tried the motor,
    Riding the flats, I didn't feel the need to use the motor. The demo Brompton is a 3 spd Sturmey Archer. So the motor would be very helpful in hill climbing. And for those who may be considering a quicker ride with less effort applications - like to work for example while wearing your office clothes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2012

Melissa and I rode from Newport Beach to Seal Beach on Saturday. I asked her what bike she wanted to bring (she has a mixte and beach cruiser), and she opted for . . . my Brompton!
    Lady on a Brompton
    Turns out, after riding it on the Casual Sunday Ride to the Rose Creek Bridge, she enjoyed the little wheeler so much that she wants mine. Not happening, but it's interesting that one bike can suit two entirely different riders.

35 miles later, she didn't want to see another bike for a while, but the food and beer at Beachwood BBQ was an acceptable peace offering.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2012 edited

Found some interesting blogs about traveling with a Brompton (applies to all folding bikes) using soft or hardshell travel bags. Although, I think having it gate-checked is still the best option. I haven't not done air travel on my Brompton YET but I have traveled with my BikeFriday's in a suitcase that converts into a trailer. A folding bike in a soft shell nylon bag is prone to damage either by being tossed from the conveyor belt, to the loading tram, to the inclined loading conveyor belt, then into the airplane carriage. If it is tossed in first, other heavier luggage may pile above it. But then again, perhaps, it is better to just use a hard shell luggage that will convert into a trailer once you reached the destination airport.

So the ambiguity of a naked folded bike doesn't face scrutiny in the eyes of airline personnel. Russ Roca described that in his blog very well. In any case, whether traveling by bus or by air a bike cover maybe useful. It could be an Ikea bag, a duffle bag, or anybag that the folder would fit into.

Brompton by Air Update
    Just very clever. No rear rack required.

The folded Carradice soft bike bag is folded and used to prop the bottom part of the C-Bag. Read more about the S or C bag as a sadle bag
    Our fleet and free standing parking formation. Now to fill up the Travoy with vegetables.

IMG03409-20120520-1037.jpg
    A folder can morph from a vehicle with the ability to take you the length of the city in less than an hour into a package not much larger than a single wheel.

That makes them an ideal “last-mile” solution for metropolitan transport. Passenger cars or mass transit get you to the city’s edge or within blocks of where you’re going. From there, folding bikes — stored in car trunks or on cargo racks — take you to the doorstep of your destination, then collapse to a size that allows you to bring them inside and away from nefarious hands.
    read more here.
    Brommie Yummie: Fold. Bike. Eat. :face-devil-grin:

From Lovely Bicycle
    Traveling to Ireland with a Brompton

She's been riding around Northern Ireland for over a week and posting some interesting articles. Good reading!

OKB
    Yeah, I've been following her posts. She is a bit reluctant to show off her new Raw Lacquer Brompton, though. In most of her other bike reviews the bikes take center stage. Why not the Brommie?
    Hey Mark,

She reviewed a Brompton earlier in her blog. Along the left side of the blog there is an index of past topics. Brompton has 11 entries. I think she didn't own this bike but was just commenting on it.

From her blog, I can't tell when or if she bought her current bike. It may be a loner from Harris Cyclery or maybe a rental or borrowed from a friend. I can not find where she states how she came about it.

OKB
    Brompton US Championship this weekend

•  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2012

I don't know. Personally I'll watch the Nocturne races. Like Harley-Davidson, Brompton figures they'll be guaranteed control of the podium if everyone has to use their product. The London Nocturne is an open race. Dominated in the past by Dahon, I think Brompton actually won last year. To me, this says much more than winning a Brompton race. There is something to be said for spec races though. It truly is the rider that wins the race.... I'll be watching!

My favorite part... "Dress code: Riders must wear button up shirt, tie and blazer. No lycra may be exposed. No sponsor logos allowed.
    Hugh Jackman and friend spotted riding a folder in London

Most celebrities are used to travelling around in limousines, helicopters or chauffeured cars.

But, when Hugh Jackman arrived in London to promote his new movie Real Steel, he decided to get around using a different means - a fold-up push bike.

The 42-year-old actor was spotted leaving the Radio 1 studios this morning atop a Brompton green and purple bicycle.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2036956/Hugh-Jackman-promotes-new-movie-Real-Steel-gets-London-fold-bike.html#ixzz1xDOUFsKA
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2012

Real Steel, how apropos!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2012

3 greens to choose from and he picked the only wrong one... :face-sad: