Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009 edited

(Perhaps it's stupid, but post if you see any of the other SDbikecommuters on this thread.)

Saw Pirati this morning on the Ferry; all decked out in Bermuda shorts!
    Great idea for a thread, William. Now all we need is a handy dandy SDBikecommuter salute or something so you know you're seeing a forum user :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009

You don't know how excited I'd get if I saw any of you hip & cool South/North Parkers out in my neck of the woods. Come on over to Lemon Grove - Finest Climate On Earth - we have bike lanes too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009

Cool idea!

I saw Tom, Anthony and Sky today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

you saw Nik too :face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Velo Cult:you saw Nik too.
    You are correct, of course: I met Nik, and saw Alex. But I did not include them because I did not know if they are members here or not. If they are -- I also saw Nik and Alex!

:face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Nik is Uno-Speedo on the forum. Alex is not a member so he basically sucks.
    • CommentAuthorSam

I saw and I slept with caboose last night.

:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

TMI!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam

<blockquote><cite> Bev:</cite>You don't know how excited I'd get if I saw any of you hip & cool South/North Parkers out in my neck of the woods. Come on over to Lemon Grove - Finest Climate On Earth - we have bike lanes too!</blockquote>

Bev, I ride through there on my commute, or near by, usually hang a left at the Lemon heading down imperial. I've been itching to try a new route suggested by the new map program listed here that will put me on Broadway the whole way through Lemon Grove.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam

<blockquote><cite> beany:</cite>I saw and I slept with caboose last night.

:face-devil-grin:</blockquote>

Beardless Caboose? Isn't that kind of wierd?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam

I saw lots of bike commuters this morning. :face-smile:

Just no one on this forum.:face-plain:

Still the ride home.:face-monkey:
    • CommentAuthorjay
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009 edited

Bev -- I'm one of those N/S Parkers and I ride out in Lemon Grove/La Mesa 2-3 times a month, just to tour around San Diego. Keep an eye out for the black Puch ridden by a dude with crazy gray hair.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009 edited

William:

Beardless Caboose? Isn't that kind of wierd?

Since it means a more frequently showered and clean caboose, I will not whine about the missing beard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev

@Jay - If you're in LG and see a very upright mixte rider with front basket & tartan trunk bag (think Mary Poppins)- give a wave! I love seeing normal people riding around my city.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev

@William - I'd do the whole of Broadway route myself. I prefer it. I've done the Imperial to Market to Down Town route and I must say - not so comfortable with it. 5' tall female with Mary Poppins bike which is not made for speed. The Broadway to Massachusettes to University... is preferred for me.

Is your whole of Broadway route take you to Federal which ends into an official dirt bike/nature path that goes along the 94 for a bit to get you to the other side of Federal and into Down Town? Just curious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009 edited

<blockquote><cite> Bev:</cite>@William The Broadway to Massachusettes to University... is preferred for me.

Is your whole of Broadway route take you to Federal which ends into an official dirt bike/nature path that goes along the 94 for a bit to get you to the other side of Federal and into Down Town? Just curious.</blockquote>

The new route would take me up some street at the very end of Broadway. I've seen pictures of the dirt path, but am wondering how viable it is at 5 am?

Oh, to remain on topic: Saw no one last night. 540 ferry: devoid of any bikes except mine. No one down town.

No one on the streets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009

@William - I can't answer that question. I've never seen 5am. Me & mornings are not friends.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009

I saw a new guy named Charles. Saw a lot of people on the 645 Ferry. Don't know if any of them are you guys!
    • CommentAuthorthom

There's a 5am now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam

<blockquote><cite> thom:</cite>There's a 5am now?</blockquote>

Yup. Want me to knock on your door and introduce you two?

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Saw Bryan (Schapps) and James at CM tonight - nice seeing you guys!
    • CommentAuthorTom@VC

Velo Cult:Nik is Uno-Speedo on the forum. Alex is not a member so he basically sucks.

Actually, Alex is a member (of this forum).
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009

wow, no kidding. i didn't even realize it. i just looked him up, he goes by AWMerritt on here.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009

yesterday I met Christa for coffee. Today I met Bev for lunch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009

And technically I did have my bike with me. Ok, I didn't ride it all the way up to Black Moutain Road like Beany, but I had it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009

I saw Thom yesterday. We plotted. :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009

I also met
    [[_linker_]]
    on the ferry. The world gets smaller!!
    i saw a guy on a road bike with a neat wool jersey riding around at hodges. i was just starting my ride i was wearing my stone brewery jersey. not sure if your on here though.
    • CommentAuthorProtorio
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009

I met demetri while having lunch in Hillcrest yesterday!
    • CommentAuthordmitry_b

Nice to meet you Esteban!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Had a few spare hours today and went riding.

Saw Anthony: He was riding his motorcycle and overtook me in South Park (he gave me plenty of room - thanks!)
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009 edited

Went over to Susanna's for dinner. She made the most amazing dinner which was like paella but less fishy. It was a dish native to her town in Spain. When I did a profile of her for my blog I found that we both have an appreciation for hand made food and we both love cooking from scratch. The dinner was especially delicious for those reasons...so much love went into making it.

We're planning to do some brunches soon (maybe women only)...the first will be in December. Whisper me if you have an interest.

She misses the rides and hopes to make it to the Down Townies on the 15th.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009

I saw Drew, Mhotal and Crash (as well others) last night: Drew was riding his Xtracycle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2009

I saw Sky and Anthony and Il Pirati at the swap meet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

William:I saw Sky and Anthony and Il Pirati at the swap meet.
    I, too, went to the Swap Meet, but did not see anybody from here.

That place was crowded, though: Half an hour before opening the line to get in was several hundred people deep, and it took at least half an hour after opening before the line was cleared. Somebody made some money from running this - the SD Bicycle Coalition, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam

<blockquote><cite> Njord Noatun:</cite><blockquote><cite> William:</cite>I saw Sky and Anthony and Il Pirati at the swap meet.</blockquote> I, too, went to the Swap Meet, but did not see anybody from here.

That place was crowded, though: Half an hour before opening the line to get in was several hundred people deep, and it took at least half an hour after opening before the line was cleared. Somebody made some money from running this - the SD Bicycle Coalition, right?</blockquote>

Nope. The velodrome did. Which is OK, at least it's cycling related!
    • CommentAuthorthom

Saw Protorio in Hillcrest Saturday night on his Kogswell, looking like someone I'd like to know if I didn't already. I was in a car, though, so didn't get to say hi.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

Saw Bryan, Sky, and Anthony with his R100 at the Swap Meet. Long-time local cycling photographer Mitch Clinton and wife Kathleen bought a house on acreage two miles up a dirt road in Silver City, NM and were at the Swap Meet unloading stuff they can't take along.
    Mitch sold me a perfect '54 Columbia, black with aluminum Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub and front dyno hub with front and rear lights for $125. I was trying not to come home with any bikes, but didn't sell any and ended up hauling six home, plus a super nice 8-speed Shimano MTB wheel set with Bontrager offset rear.

The current SDVA Board of Directors just signed their exit papers. They voted 5-4 (Jolie objected) to pay Shaun Wallace $5,000 to run the event. That is five times what they paid a certain level 'C' coach to open the place up several years ago. Up until that moment $1,000 was the maximum ever spent on a Velodrome Swap Meet. The coach in question got bored at about noon and went home with his $1,000, leaving the exit process uncontrolled and failing to clean the place up. Chaos ensued and an unsupervised seller backed into Turn 2 with a trailer hitch, ripping a hole in the fabric cover of the track surface, still unrepaired today. There were reports of people driving cars around the banking with no one to stop them. When I arrived the next morning the gates were still open. It took me two days to clean up by myself. No one ever offered me a penny, even though I would have refused payment.

This year Shaun Wallace bought a box of red STAFF t-shirts for a group of paid employees. Only half were used. He also bought a dozen cardboard trash containers, ironically emblazoned with the word "WASTE," even though we have plenty of steel and plastic trash containers. The cardboard containers were tossed into the dumpsters.

Since SDVA usually collects between 9 and 12 thousand dollars at this event, $5,000 is about 50% of the take. The two Swap Meets are the main revenue generators for annual velodrome operations, so this unnecessary and wasteful expense will severely cut into the general fund.

Needless to say, Jolie will be demanding a full and accurate accounting of where the money went. Someone is going to have to prepare Form 1099 for all the paid staff to submit with our non-profit tax statement in the Spring.

If they are unable, as we suspect, to provide an accurate accounting report to the general membership, they will be in violation of state law and the California State Attorney General's office will be informed. The Velodrome Emperor will find that his aversion to playing by the rules won't save him this time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

$5000 sure seems like a lot of money. i've never once heard a call for volunteers before or during the event. surely there are people that will help a non-profit. hell, i would be willing to do events at my shop to help the fund if people are willing to open their wallets. a new surface and more childrens classes would be fantastic. heck, new bleachers would be great too.
    I maybe? saw a SDbikecommuter out there tonight? Whoever it was, they were rocking a pretty stellar dual headlight system as they were heading southbound through Mission Bay Park and I was going north at around 8:30. Also I saw my co-worker, Steve, on the OB bike path, presumably heading to work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2009

thom:Saw Protorio in Hillcrest. I was in a car, though, so didn't get to say hi.
    I saw Protorio in South Park about two weeks ago: However, I also was in a car and therefore much too embarrassed over my predicament to even consider alerting him to my presence.
    :face-monkey:
    • CommentAuthorProtorio
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2009

I live in Linda Vista and everyone sees *me* uptown from a car window! hahaha! See you all out there!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009

Saw James P Griffin last night -- had a great round-trip ride from the Fountain to the Mt. Soledad cross.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009

If I'm not mistaken I saw Dirigo (Shaun) on Adams today. Shamefully we were in a car so couldn't say hi. "Hi!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2009

I saw Stephan today riding south on Nimitz Blvd. on his way to work.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009

I saw Thom today at our favorite little coffee shop today.
    • CommentAuthorthom

That is *so* weird. I saw beany at *my* favorite little coffee shop. And Caboose, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

beany:I saw Thom today at our favorite little coffee shop today.
    thom:\I saw beany at *my* favorite little coffee shop. And Caboose, too.
    Care to share which is your "favorite coffee shop"?:face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

stalker