Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2012

Pretty sure I saw the purple Bridgestone Mile 112 that was for sale on here a while back. It was parked at by the Fairbanks coffee cart at UCSD.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2012

I saw a girl riding down Torrey Pines Shore, holding a coffee cup on her right hand, on a bike with drop bars. I thought at first she would use a cup holder or some other clever design but she just kept riding along with only her left hand on the handlebar, for a while held the cup with her teeth and then moved it to the other hand. She did slow down for the Scripps Hill.
    I thought of all the things I can do on a bicycle I would have never thought of trying that hill with just one hand. Even riding with both hands freaks me out a bit! >8-0
    Then again, I am a wuss.:face-monkey:
    • CommentAuthorlisi

I saw Cecil barreling down Adams as I was doing the same in the other direction. :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

lisi:I saw Cecil barreling down Adams as I was doing the same in the other direction. :face-devil-grin:

and mfutch saw you barrel by the Adams Twigg's just before you saw me and I saw him.
    I just saw mfutch on Adams as well.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2012

I think Adams Ave is officially sdbikecommuter turf.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

mfutch:I think Adams Ave is officially sdbikecommuter turf.

Yeah, this thread is almost redundant in the whole Uptown area. I just had a tamale with Sam at the Hillcrest Farmers Market after spotting her on the way to do some advocacy in OB.
    • CommentAuthorStephan

Lee and I saw Serge going the other way on La Jolla Blvd. today. Couldn't tell his lane position. :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthorSam

And I met up with Stephan and Lee later in OB for some tacos.

I am actually stunned Serge was even on a bike. With all the time he spends online, I was convinced he didn't actually own a bike...let alone ride it. :face-monkey:
    • CommentAuthorbilld

Stephan:Lee and I saw Serge going the other way on La Jolla Blvd. today. Couldn't tell his lane position.
    Easy to guess.
    • CommentAuthorSerge2
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2012 edited

<blockquote><cite> Stephan:</cite>Lee and I saw Serge going the other way on La Jolla Blvd. today. Couldn't tell his lane position. :face-devil-grin:</blockquote>
    I believe it was me yelling "Stephan" that got your attention, LOL. Happy Birthday, man!

As to my position, the lane is exceptionally wide on that stretch of La Jolla Blvd so I was in the secondary/sharing position.

I saw Kathy Keehan on the strand 2-3 weeks ago. Nice to run into Coalition regulars like that considering how few of us there are.

<blockquote><cite> Sam:</cite>And I met up with Stephan and Lee later in OB for some tacos.
    I am actually stunned Serge was even on a bike. With all the time he spends online, I was convinced he didn't actually own a bike...let alone ride it. :face-monkey:</blockquote>
    It's true that in the last 2 years since since I started working for myself, which means I'm either in my office a few blocks from home, or at a customer site where I have to drive (25 miles each way; computer equipment; showers, if any, are for employees, not contractors, etc.), I haven't been riding nearly as much. I used to get my base miles in commuting to work every day - then one good ride on the weekends kept me in decent shape.

I rode downtown yesterday and then back via Balboa Park, Mission Hills and Old Town. Oh, then I climbed Mt. Soledad via Nautilus, mostly at 5 mph/25 rpm. Semi-napped on the bench up there for half an hour or so once I got to the top. Pathetic. Bombing down Nautilus is always fun, forever.

Today I rode to Point Loma and back. 29 miles r/t; 15.0 mph avg. Because I'm carrying an extra 30 pounds or so, hills just kill me, but back up to 18-20 on the flats, which is why I can average 15 despite the steady climb up to the lighthouse. Had an interesting situation with a red light runner in OB. This guy stopped at the red, and then proceeded as if it was a 4-way stop, right in front of us! Sheesh!

I've also started riding the SDBC Saturday Ride again (though didn't yesterday), but I'm still on the Development-3 ride because of my horrible hill climbing state. Two years ago I was riding in the B ride - which is separated from D3 by D1 and D2.

I'm training for the SD century in May.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2012

Mark saw us headed through Torrey yesterday on a coastal ride and then I saw mfutch at Drive By Truckers. Both were excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2012

I saw Hippy in full rain regalia and on a fendered bike riding on Fanuel St. today in a torrential downpour.
    As I was leaving my house:

Roommate: "Dude, its raining really hard out there. You're going out?"
    Me: "Yep! Just got some errands to run..."
    Roommate: "Wait, so you mean: you don't have to go out right now?!"
    Me: "Nope!"
    :face-monkey:
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2012

He's just jealous because the voices talk to you.
    Buying whiskey from trader joe's was a holiday must.

Also: saw dstone today at Bird Rock Coffee- what a great guy! @dstone: you can't whine about me buying you coffee when you fund me drunken burrito! I LOVE BURRITOS!
    • CommentAuthordstone
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012

Did I spy a gavilan ringing her bell on LJS Dr this morning?
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012 edited

Yes! That was too funny... here I am totally spacing out thinking of who-knows-what and I see a guy on a bike. Smile, nod head, say hi. Ride by and think "wait a minute, Velo Cult jersey? I know that guy!"
    Hi there!

ETA: By the way, I assume you got a new wheel, then? :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012

Was that you Mark Philips, rolling up Carmel Valley Road toward Del Mar on the Extracycle yesterday afternoon?

I was in a rush to meet my girls in Solana Beach, didn't mean to be rude. About halfway into Del Mar I realized that it might be you.
    Nop! That wasn't me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2012

Saw 1984 Olympic Individual Pursuit Gold Medalist Steve Hegg at Eddie B's birthday party in Ramona yesterday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Pretty sure I saw Shady Gaga near the intersection of Via Capri and LJ Scenic today, which is evidenced also by his Strava.
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2012 edited

Yep, you must have been headed down as I was on my way up. My only time up...how many climbs did you do today? I beat the rain at least!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

You were headed south on Scenic S just after the top of Capri - I was going north getting ready to exit to the Easter Cross.

ShadyGaga:...how many climbs did you do today?
    I did my standard hill-climb yesterday and today.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2012

Saw dstone and two other people in bicycles yesterday at Mission Bay while McLovin and I were on a little run. Velo Cult jersey FTW.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

gavilan:Saw dstone and two other people in bicycles yesterday at Mission Bay while McLovin and I were on a little run. Velo Cult jersey FTW.

5 of us. Me, Sigurd, Lisi and Jeff Motch-- that was either the beginning or the end of our 200k (+) permanent up to San Clemente and back to le soiree Futch at BLAH.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins

I know what "WTF" stands for, but what is "FTW?" Back in the punk days it used to indicate a nihilistic world view: "F*** the World."
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

wpstoll:I know what "WTF" stands for, but what is "FTW?" Back in the punk days it used to indicate a nihilistic world view: "F*** the World."

internet nerds changed it to "for the win" ... i said pretty much the same exact thing when i first read it.
    • CommentAuthordstone

• CommentAuthordstone

gavilan:Saw dstone and two other people in bicycles yesterday at Mission Bay while McLovin and I were on a little run. Velo Cult jersey FTW.
    I was, again, very confused when you said hello. Everything is now illuminated. That was when we were pit-stopping at one of the bathrooms towards the end of our ride, after Sigurd had split off. I think Cecil was around the corner when you came by, which would leave Jeff, Lisi, and myself as the three you saw. Hello!
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

Too funny about the FTW confusion.

Ah, Jeff, Lisi and dstone. Hello! Didn't see Cecil or Sigurd. What is "le soire Futch at BLAH"?
    I hope I can make it to one of your guys' next rides. Sounded like fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2012 edited

I still don't get it. I tried using the name of a salamander native to Central Mexico as a laughter abbreviation, but no one got it.
    AXOLOTL!
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2012 edited

I remember reading that and wondering.

I saw AXOLOTL, thought it was related to LOL, ROFL and other "OL"s but still went WTH? :face-monkey:
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins

I thought about TLACUACHE, but it looks too much like a real word. Means "opossum" in Nahuatl.
    • CommentAuthormfutch

Thanks to the sdbikecommuters that came to BLAH last night to send me off to Chicago. The move is temporary, so I'll be back around November and probably not be able to do the climb up my driveway. That city is flat!
    Ha! Sorry I had to bail so early. Have a good, productive time in Chicago with your friend Barry. CCT
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity

mfutch:Thanks to the sdbikecommuters that came to BLAH last night to send me off to Chicago. The move is temporary, so I'll be back around November and probably not be able to do the climb up my driveway. That city is flat!

:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

Nice.

Pirner's take:

• CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012

I saw someone, or more... they saw me... while I was heading down Mission Village at Friars. They had an all orange bike and rang a bell. Anyone here? This was about 5:30pm today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2012

At the Die-In this afternoon I saw Sam, Lisi, Cecil, Kelly, and others.
    • CommentAuthordstone
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012

I saw Lee at LA Union Station in the post-CicLAvia euphoria, walking his beautiful bike with those wooden fenders around. I am actually quite surprised I never ran into markphillips.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012 edited

I saw The Schwinn Lawyer heading north bound on India Street approaching Grape this evening. Then we saw Rick Williams from Urban B&S riding along the harbor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012

I saw Rick in OB right before I shot the tag you got.
    Were you stalking me, Mark?
    Paul, I don't use Strava or any GPS. So perchance I was in the neighborhood to meet my wife for a drive and dinner. Wednesday was our night out in the evening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012 edited

Yesterday afternoon at the Die-In I saw Mark, Sam, Cecil, Hans, Lisi, Frank (thanks for the inspiring music again, couldn't believe there were actually folks who failed to recognize Beethoven's Ninth Symphony - WTF is wrong with our culture?), Dan Large from Campagnolo USA and his lovely wife, a couple of fellow GS Adams Avenue Bicycles riders, and many others. I think the turn out was better this time, although I would have liked to have filled the concourse plaza completely, Amsterdam style. The general farewell after our "resurrection" was "Hope we don't meet again like this any time soon!"

Who was the rider on the white racing bike who blew past me at a signal riding up Fifth Ave? I jumped on my 81" gear and rode his wheel out of the saddle all the way to Laurel. He seemed surprised to find me still latched on when he turned right, some old guy in jeans and a wool jersey, he in full racing kit.
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2012

Saw Lisi going the other way on the San Diego River Trail as I was going home after the Urban BS/Downtownies ride around Mission Bay today.
    I saw Sigurd and Lisi on my way to the Sunday Morning ride in Old Town. Funny story....

I'm riding east around 8:15 AM on the path approaching the new Rose Creek Bicycle Bridge and I see a couple of bright headlights coming my way. They're still a ways off so I continue to mosey along. I'm just about to get on the bridge and who blows by at just under the speed of sound but Sigurd; and then Lisi right behind him. I recognized Sigurd at the last moment but by then he was past me. I saw that it was Lisi just behind him and just barely managed to yell out a greeting by calling her name.

I slowed and stopped, looked behind me and they were just flying up the path toward Pacific Beach Drive. I figured they were doing their thing and were on the way to doing the "Brutality of the Norseman" Sunday morning ride. Okay,..that's cool I figure, maybe they're late and need to meet some other climbers. I got on about my business of riding over to Old Town and I'm on East Mission Bay Drive and whoosh, Sigurd rolls up along side. We pull over and whoosh, Lisi rides up also.

We greeted with a bit of surprise and then chatted a bit. It was good to see them I told them, as this was my first ride after getting my vision fixed. I now have two eyes rather than one. We chatted some more and then it's time to be on our ways. We parted and I felt good for having said hello to these two new friends, who took the time to return and greet me. As I rode away I was feeling a little deflated however. Do they ride like that all the time? My god, Sigurd was hell bent for leather and Lisi was right behind him. I'm old and slow but maybe...more so than I can admit.

Well later in the day I get home and check the forums for this and that and I come across this on the STRAVA thread from Sigurd.

Beat Metal Dude at his own game!!

HA! Sigurd and Lisi were doing speed runs through this Strava segment! I just figured that was how they rolled all the time. I mean... you should have seen Sigurd, low in the drops with an intensity of purpose, eyes focused ahead (he never even glanced my way), just blazing along the bridge and onto the path, like a son of Oden on a quest to capture the KOM for that segment. Lisi was right behind him, pedaling that Specialized touring rig with fenders, racks, saddle bag and all sorts of sundry extras, and she was about to conquer it and be crowned the QOM for that segment. Wow! I saw it with my own two eyes!

Now I'm just chuckling, thinking that I assumed they rode like this all the time. Maybe they do, I don't know. But it was fun to see and was good to say hello on a Sunday morning outing. I'm really looking forward to a good long season of riding ahead.

Ride well and be safe out there,

OKB

:face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2012 edited

May Day bike to work month proclamation this morning at civic center plaza: I saw Cecil, Stephan, Randy Van Vleck, journalist Bob Hawkins, photographer Peggy Peattie, and a few others. Andy Hanshaw made sure to mention the two recent killings of bicycle commuters who were doing nothing wrong, just trying to get to and from work safely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2012

I saw this guy in the middle of Hotel Circle North this morning in front of the Riverwalk Golf Course.
    One of the cool MTS bus drivers stopped when I signaled him so I could grab him. I handed him over the fence to some golfers to put back in the lake.

•  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2012

Good karma for you!