Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009

here's a video that Drew just turned me onto. it's a classic short on Copenhagen's cycling culture.

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

50's British Cyclotourist video's.

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Velo Cult: it's a classic short on Copenhagen's cycling culture.

Sky -- you and I posted that video the same minute! I like that you started a video thread - I was wondering where to post it.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009

An old video about San Diego Bike Messengers

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009

The making of a Brooks saddle: Obviously a company promo movie, but it contains very interesting footage on saddle manufacturing, nevertheless:

•  
      CommentAuthorBev
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009

I love "how it's made" video. Better yet as I'm picking up my Brooks this morning. Very entertaining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009

This guy built a bar-end brake light, based in input from an accelerometer: Nifty, but useless - what's wrong with just using arm signals?

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009

wow, what a waste of time and effort. a car can only see the left bar end anyway and even then they would assume it's just a blinky light and ignore it. i suppose it kept him out of trouble though

:face-angel:
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009

<blockquote><cite> Njord Noatun:</cite> - what's wrong with just using arm signals?</blockquote>

I don't use arm signals, and pretty much feel that they don't do anything, good or bad. I point a lot.
    I don't use arm signals because they require me to take my hand off my front brake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009

The Speed Vest

kind of nerdy but kind of cool too. now car drivers can't use the excuse that they didn't know how fast you were going before right hooking you.

•  
      CommentAuthorBev

William:
    Njord Noatun: - what's wrong with just using arm signals?

I don't use arm signals, and pretty much feel that they don't do anything, good or bad. I point a lot.

Riding around my town I use them as people are kind of clueless with cyclists to begin with, not too often mean, just clueless. So I find that when I get eye contact with on coming cars and just let them know my intentions everything goes smoother, less confusion.
    • CommentAuthorSam

These kids are smarter than I am now. I'm happy if these kids are going to be our future citizens.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2009 edited

One of my favority bike videos of ALL TIMES.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bFctm1bCe4M&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bFctm1bCe4M&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2009

This is the pre amble to this: <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q1J9UDhDXQQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q1J9UDhDXQQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2009

the fixie crew dresses differently in Germany

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009

• CommentAuthorthom
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009 edited

Now, I'm about the last person to glorify whiz-bang technology just for it's own sake, but this is pretty cool:

• CommentAuthoryoshi
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009

William:One of my favority bike videos of ALL TIMES.

Wonderful transitions, wonderful soundtrack, wonderful video!
    Thom

I'm glad they actually built that bike. Too often on design blogs you see concept bikes that are just Maya renderings by designers that seem either ignorant or oblivious to the actual physics and engineering of bicycles.
    • CommentAuthoryoshi

This video make my jaw drop everytime I watch it.

• CommentAuthorrichie

1991 Canada
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009

I'm not sure what's more funny: the hair, the clothes or the music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009

yoshi:This video make my jaw drop everytime I watch it.

I'd just see it. I don't normally like this kind of riding, but this was good! Other than one street sign that fell victim, at least he stops at red lights, wears a helmet & closes gates that he's opened.
    • CommentAuthormatt t
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009 edited

• CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009

For you Friday afternoon procrastinators:

I'm not cool enough to care much for indie bands, but I enjoyed this song and video. Has a bike and features an actual SoCal season!

•  
      CommentAuthorRBjay
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009

2008 Tour of California Prologue in Palo Alto.. notice the speed weaponry: papermache aero helmet, aerobars, and Zipp wheels ...don't forget to turn up the volume.

•  
      CommentAuthorRBjay
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009

I feel like this cyclist on my daily AM commute down Miramar Road...:face-devil-grin:

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009 edited

How to make (and not to make!) effective lane changes while riding in a group:

http://www.youtube.com/user/CyclistLorax#p/a/u/1/nnGVeDdSfjg/
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009 edited

Trying to understand why cycling has faded in fashion and how to rekindle it in a town in the UK. Perhaps this should be on the Women's thread, but:

• CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009 edited

Lots of law abiding citizens to be found in this video:

• CommentAuthorthom
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009

Ohmygod. I had to stop watching at 2 mins.

Warning: The above video contains scenes of extreme vehicular violence.
    • CommentAuthorDrew

Not always sure where best to post things, so I guess I'll put it here. Video from England. Getting girls interested in riding. I've seen alot more emphasis on women commuters lately.

• CommentAuthorDrew

Ummm, OK, let's just have a link and be done with it.

• CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009 edited

Drew:Ummm, OK, let's just have a link and be done with it.

The perfect video to watch after my video of "extreme vehicular violence."

I hear those dutch bikes are a nightmare to work on however for maintenance and things. But whatever...anything that gets people on bicycles - I'm on board with the plan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009

bicycle speedway racing

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Radball

• CommentAuthorthom

Jeez, I can't even think of anything clever to say about those two, just amazing. Europeans, it seems, can take any sport and make it better with a bike.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

I had completely forgotten about that. Used to be on German TV quite often. Another thing that always blew my mind was Kunstradfahren, basically like figure skating on bikes. Again a stronghold of the Germans.

this kid rips it up!
    • CommentAuthoryoshi
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2009

I'm afraid he might be ruining his chances of reproducing!
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009

A friend of ours (from Manhattan) sent the video below to us with this note:
    Thought you might enjoy this video. Basically, there were bike lanes put up in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. However, because they ran through a Hasidic community that found the "scantily clad" female bikers offensive, the city removed the lanes. Then vigilante bikers painted them back on.

I don't know why the Hasidic Jews are busy looking at those scantily clad women anyway. If you don't like it, look away.

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009 edited

beany:I don't know why the Hasidic Jews are busy looking at those scantily clad women anyway. If you don't like it, look away.
    No kidding!

Here's a NY Post article on the battles between the Hasidic and the Hipsters in WIlliamsburg.

The conflct has also been covered numerous times by BSNYC, for example here.

Good times!
    Trailer from You Never Bike Alone from Vancouver. They've got it going up there!

Peace Keepers: We Fly Above!

Trailer: You Never Bike Alone

Now I wonder what would happen if the ladies lead CM one night?
    Copenhagen: City of Cyclists, Part 1 of 5: Our very first episode of A Billion Bikes, takes us to the Danish city of Copenhagen, which has one of the most advanced urban bicycling communities in the world. If you watch this on YouTube, you'll see links for the rest of the series. It's amazing!

Part 1 of 5
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

markphilips: Danish city of Copenhagen
    Absolutely amazing. While perusing those videos I came across one showing rush hour traffic in Copenhagen:

Note - no drop bars and no helmets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

there seems to be just one pace in Copenhagen.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009 edited

I just realized that there is an open thread for Copenhagen. So I posted it there as well. I'll remember that for next time.

Has anybody seen "Share the Road"?

Share the Road trailer
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009 edited

<blockquote><cite> beany:</cite>A friend of ours (from Manhattan) sent the video below to us with this note:
    <em>Thought you might enjoy this video. Basically, there were bike lanes put up in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. However, because they ran through a Hasidic community that found the "scantily clad" female bikers offensive, the city removed the lanes. Then vigilante bikers painted them back on. I don't know why the Hasidic Jews are busy looking at those scantily clad women anyway. If you don't like it, look away.</blockquote></em>

Ah yes, religous extremist. My favorite group of people. There was a group of people I worked with who were very extreme about this kind of stuff. I provided them reading material (as they had none) based upon donations I got from them. They asked me to "pre-screen it", so I gave them very basic magazines. They complained about the lack of selection, so I gave them magazines with pages ripped out when I found potentially "offensive" material. They complained then about "cencorship". So I gave them whole magazines. To which they ripped out "offensive" materail and told me I was violating thier values. Comically, I found a who bunch of this removed "offensive" materail in thier possesion once. Wrinkled, ostensibly confiscated, but probably secreted away for use during, shall we say, private moments?

Here's a funny question. If you don't like it, you should look away, I agree.

But if you do like it, and you look: isn't that some sort of violation of the looking at women rule?
    :face-devil-grin: