Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2011 edited

Interesting Cyclechic fashion show. Very trendy, elegant, and practical everyday clothing designs, city bikes, and accessories.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2011

Clever animation

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2011

Comfy
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011

LAPD is doing into the officer training video thing. It's fairly informative but very dry and does a poor job of explaining 21202. At least they're trying.

Article:

http://la.streetsblog.org/2011/03/16/lapd-posts-officer-training-program-for-bicycle-safety-on-youtune/
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2011 edited

A fun short from Copenhagen - these cyclists are seriously good at kicking the soccer ball!:

One of the fellas playing soccer is Michael Colville-Andersen of Copenhagen Cycle Chic (and much else) fame.
    • CommentAuthorslobiker
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2011

That last part went by pretty quick. It reads:

"From the point of view of restrictiveness, even the official promotion of helmets may have negative consequences for bicycle use, and that to prevent helmets from having a negative effect on bicycles, the best approach is to leave promotion of helmet wear to manufacturers and shopkeepers.

The European Council of Ministers of Transport 2004. 'National Policies to Promote Cycling.' "

If by "negative consequences for bicycle use" they mean people will elect not to wear helmets due to innate public distrust of governmental advocacy, I tend to agree. In this country the stats show that where helmet use is mandated by law bicycle-related injuries do indeed go down... because fewer people bother to ride bikes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2011 edited

slobiker:"If by "negative consequences for bicycle use" they mean people will elect not to wear helmets due to innate public distrust of governmental advocacy, I tend to agree.
    They may refer to that effect. But the more important effect they are referring to, I think, is that pushing a helmet agenda implies that bicycling is inherently dangerous, which in turn may cause people to choose not to ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2011

A good start at solving the "cars parked illegally in the bike lane" problem:

:face-devil-grin:
    So instead of a sign like "We Tow," a more appropriate sign would be "We have the right to destroy your car if your park here.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2011 edited

Bike Share the Dutch Way The second video has a funny punch line from the Dutch Prime Minister :face-angel:
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2011 edited

Old guys skating and BMX'ing.

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2011

Oh man, that's so rad. Makes me want to jump on BMX again.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011

Sigurd:They may refer to that effect. But the more important effect they are referring to, I think, is that pushing a helmet agenda implies that bicycling is inherently dangerous, which in turn may cause people to choose not to ride.

That's like saying wearing a condom means sex is dangerous, and less people would do it. Has there been a reduction in shagging as a result? :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011

That is exactly the thought I have when I hear the "helmets make people think cycling is dangerous" arguments. It's not the little plastic helmets that makes people think it's dangerous, it's the big metal cars. Just like it's not the condom. I bet if you could eliminate the risk of AIDS and all other venereal diseases you would see a lot more shagging.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2011

Not sure which one is the most sarcastic, but they sort of go together, so here you go:

These could go in the "soundtracK" thread, too, I suppose.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2011 edited

Fixed it to a valid URL:

I can't seem to watch your video, Sigurd...

"This video is private" ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2011

HippyOnaBike:I can't seem to watch your video, Sigurd... "This video is private" ...
    It \appears to have been taken down. :face-sad:
    I managed to watch a different upload of it. Definitely a lot of controversy around this one.

I really love what this guy does to this less intelligent LEO, but I have little to no confidence that I could pull this off stateside. I know we have our own share of dumb cops, but ours carry guns.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsykkelspruce
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2011 edited

Came across this on Bike Snob NYC pretty sure it's all in San Diego, although I don't know for sure since I'm not too familiar with the city as of yet...

http://player.vimeo.com/video/21925437
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

sykkelspruce:...pretty sure it's all in San Diego...
    I recognize a lot of it as being in San Diego, but not all: For example, that hill around 5:10 I can not put my finger on - anybody?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2011

HippyOnaBike:I managed to watch a different upload of it. Definitely a lot of controversy around this one.
    I found another version of it and edited the URL above.

Definitely painful to watch - perhaps not so surprising that there is a level of animosity towards cyclists by non-cyclists some times. I actually felt sorry for the constable (who is a bicycle cop, which is not so clear from the movie).
    • CommentAuthorbilld

Sigurd:I recognize a lot of it as being in San Diego, but not all: For example, that hill around 5:10 I can not put my finger on - anybody?
    Doesn't look familiar. It would be a good candidate for our steepest streets thread if it was here.

On the Vimeo page it says: "Shot in SD/SF over the past few months with Emi Brown."
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

^ I think 5:10 is dictionary hill area. I could be wrong, but it looks right.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

That video is actually pretty well shot, all things considered.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Kinda looks like Grand ave in Spring Valley. I have a client that lives at the top of the huge hill. Couldn't believe the first time I saw it. Gnarly.

View Larger Map
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

William.:^ I think 5:10 is dictionary hill area. I could be wrong, but it looks right.
    t.e.d:Kinda looks like Grand ave in Spring Valley.
    View Larger Map

I think you nailed it, Ted and William - judging from Google Street View, that's exactly where it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

The video was shop by Alex, ex-employee of Velo Cult.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

bikingbill:A good start at solving the "cars parked illegally in the bike lane" problem:

:face-devil-grin:

I'd be curious as to why the cars are being towed...errr...destroyed....

billd:Old guys skating and BMX'ing.

That looks super awesome, but the skeptic in me says that's not them actually doing those tricks... all the tricks are done with the upper body/heads cut off and on the ones where you actually can see the full body it's never close enough so as to distinguish the faces... Of course I may be totally clueless and that's really them.

Either way, I wish I could do .0001 of that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity

:)
    • CommentAuthorbilld

gavilan:That looks super awesome, but the skeptic in me says that's not them actually doing those tricks... all the tricks are done with the upper body/heads cut off and on the ones where you actually can see the full body it's never close enough so as to distinguish the faces... Of course I may be totally clueless and that's really them.
    I'm told it's a mix. Some of the tougher stuff was indeed done by stunt doubles but these guys actually do skate and BMX and a lot of it was really them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2011

t.e.d:Imagine how much better off we'd be with electric cars if GM hadn't bitched out on the EV1...

The full movie on Youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2011

t.e.d:Imagine how much better off we'd be with electric cars if GM hadn't bitched out on the EV1...
    Imagine how much better our future auto industry would have been if our taxpayers hadn't bailed out the failed and unsustainable policies of GM and instead let the company go bankrupt as it so solidly deserved!

---

I am not sure this video about traffic calming has been posted before, so here you go:

I want those 'bike boxes' here in SD!!!!!!

I feel like everyone (pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers) looks at me weird when I take my asserted place at the head of a line of cars at the intersection- off to the left enough that traffic can continue to make right turns behind and to my right. Its clearly the safe place to be, and a dash of paint on the road makes it clear that I'm not crazy for being there!

I'm not crazy for wanting to be safe? ...Am I?
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

HippyOnaBike:I want those 'bike boxes' here in SD!!!!!!

I feel like everyone (pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers) looks at me weird when I take my asserted place at the head of a line of cars at the intersection- off to the left enough that traffic can continue to make right turns behind and to my right. Its clearly the safe place to be, and a dash of paint on the road makes it clear that I'm not crazy for being there!

I'm not crazy for wanting to be safe? ...Am I?

That's where I hang out at intersections. Never had an issue. I don't look back very often though.
    • CommentAuthorbilld

I hang out there too. I rarely have had issues over it. I've even had a number of friendly waves from drivers making right turns; happy that I was out of their way. However, every once in a great while someone will have a fit rather than just move over into the next lane.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

I find it also helps to know how the signals change on your route. I like to get a short "jump" right before the light turns green to get back over to the right and keep others happy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

A short film about the work of a custom frame builder:

• CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011

snow crash

•  
      CommentAuthorsykkelspruce
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011 edited

Some of you have probably seen something like this already, but the guys at my LBS recently showed me a video of them doing something similar so I found a video of someone doing the same. I didn't know it was so easy, I use one through my rims and saddle on occasion. There goes the sense of security.

• CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011

Mini U lock ftw. Sheldon method.
    • CommentAuthorMcLovin
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2011

sykkelspruce:Some of you have probably seen something like this already, but the guys at my LBS recently showed me a video of them doing something similar so I found a video of someone doing the same. I didn't know it was so easy, I use one through my rims and saddle on occasion. There goes the sense of security.

A buddy of mine once forgot the keys to his cable lock while we were on our way to a mountain bike destination hours away. After driving around all over town looking for a fire station (figuring they'd have a bolt cutter) he managed to cut through it in less than a minute with a small pair of wire cutters. It was pretty scary just how easy it was to cut that thick cable.

cutter
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2011 edited

Yeah, nibbling type of cable cutter as in that video just takes seconds to go through a cable and is small enough to fit in your palm. We only sell one cable lock and we try to talk people out of buying it. We tell them that its only good if you are running into 7-11 for a sec and to not use it for anything more than that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2011

A really cool video showing how the bicycle can transform a city recovering from war.

http://www.indiegogo.com/The-Bicycle-City-Film
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2011

Check out this crazy descent:

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2011 edited

Interesting video about bicycle dynamics - "The Riderless Bicycle". Edit: Some more info. And some more.
    • CommentAuthoryoshi
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2011

Fascinating videos Sigurd!
    I wish my AAAS membership hadn't expired so I could download the entire article on bicycle dynamics.
    This finding makes the whole trail discussion a bit more complex.