Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2016

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2016

Up to 6000 lumens. At that level the battery lasts an hour and it has to run an internal fan to keep cool. At 1000 lumen setting, it lasts 8 hours. Apparently the 6000 lumen setting is for rough trail riding?

http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/HL-EL6000RC/
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2016

This is not good though:

Recharge/discharge number of times: about 300 times (until the rated capacity drops to 60%

Good LiOn batteries should be able to do 1500 cycles and still have 90% capacity. My guess is they are using Cell Phone batteries of some sort.
    • CommentAuthorPetteri
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2016

Crappy phone batteries at that - modern phones are charged at least daily, and can certainly handle more than a year of that...

They might also be overdriving the batteries. Good LEDs are in the 100-150lm/W range, so for a 6000-lumen light they might be pulling 50+W from the pack for extended periods of time. At those power levels you'd want something specced for serious laptops or maybe automotive use, but cars usually avoid charging and discharging batteries fully to extend their lifespan. I expect Cateye might also be using the full capacity of the battery to get more runtime out of the weight you need to carry, which will wear them out sooner.

I'm not sure about 6000 lumen on the road, but I'd take 2k for Rose Canyon bike path at night. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2016

I want to go to a central LiOn battery for all the lights and the phone/gps. With a solar panel on the cargo box.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2016

I'm a big fan of USB rechargeable lights with silicon straps for easy removal when you lock up. My Serfas blinkie died a while back so I replaced it with this one. Seems like an awesome light for a great price and if you buy from REI, you can return within a year if the battery craps out.

https://www.rei.com/product/109777/niterider-swift-350-front-bike-light
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2017 edited

This week, my Niterider Lumina 750 would no longer charge. It was bought 12/2014, so just outside the two-year warranty period.

I took it to the HQ on Aero Dr today, and they - after having inspected the internals - replaced it with a brand new Lumina 950 Boost (in retail packaging): The Boost series uses the same handlebar mount as the predecessor non-Boost series, so I can continue to use my old mount and now have multiple mounts for it. Needless to say, I am very satisfied with the customer service Niterider provided to me.

On a side note, the technician observed water damage and corrosion on the logic board on my 750, which caused the charging failure: I guess that's what should be expected from a unit that has been in "all-weather" use.
    I have had incredible service from NiteRider. I went through a period of multiple failures, which were all taken care of in a more than satisfactory manner. But I decided to try out Cygolite for my further purchases. I have found the Cygolite light to be great, but the switch is hard to deal with on the fly, and at the same time I somehow stopped having NiteRiders blast out of their mounts on big bumps--this had plagued me for some time. Perhaps I got better at making sure the lights were really mounted properly? So I am currently running a combo of Cygolite and NiteRider lights on bars and helmet. I have an old Lumina 750 that has been through quite a bit, and still works, but turns itself off when it's shaken. It's not reliable as a cycling light, but it's an awesome flashlight to have lying around.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2017

Everyone in San DIego has stories about the great warranty service from NiteRider. Unfortunately they have all also encountered that broken USB connection. I've had much better luck with Light & Motion. I've never had a Cygolite front but the rears I had were great until I lost them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2017

Paul:Everyone in San DIego ... have all also encountered that broken USB connection.
    NiteRider owner here (four units) - never had issues with USB port (knock on wood). Also happy with my Cygolite Metro (maube two or three units) series of headlights - their daylight blink mode is brighter than I've ever seen it.
    My Cygolite Expilion front has been flawless, just a bit of a pain to switch through the different light levels. It has a fairly broad beam, whereas the NiteRiders are more of a spotlight. So riding with the Cygolite on the bars and a NiteRider Lumina micro 220 or 250 on my helmet has been a good combo. I have a second Lumina micro on the bars as well, as back up/supplement. This combo is fine for road and trails. The Cygolite rear lights have been completely reliable, in contrast to others I have tried (e.g. NiteRider). I still like to ride with two in case one falls off or stops working. I have lost a couple of the cygolite rears.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2017

Does anyone know of a local tech who can service a Schmidt SONDelux dynahub?

I don't know if servicing requires special tools or knowledge, but my regular bike shop was loathe to take on the task out of concern of messing something up. The Schmidt web site is thin on info about dealers outside of Germany.

Thanks for ideas.

• CommentAuthorRohler
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2017

Hi Sigurd, Maybe try Peter White Cycles in New Hampshire. Not quite local but may be able to provide a referral.
    [[_linker_]]
    Cheers
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

You are pretty much stuck with calling Peter White to figure it out. It will be a fun phone call if you get him ;-)
    Call Hub & Spoke. They may be able to do it. Taylor and Kate are pretty resourceful.

Sigurd:Does anyone know of a local tech who can service a Schmidt SONDelux dynahub?

I don't know if servicing requires special tools or knowledge, but my regular bike shop was loathe to take on the task out of concern of messing something up. The Schmidt web site is thin on info about dealers outside of Germany.

Thanks for ideas.

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

I spoke Linda White today, who told me that no servicing is needed unless the hub is making noises.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2017

Sigurd:I spoke Linda White today, who told me that no servicing is needed unless the hub is making noises.

What's wrong with it? I've been thinking about getting one of these for a long time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2017 edited

I have a couple SONs. One is a delux and the other is older. They are fairly bulletproof. If you just spin the wheel or hub in your hands, it may seem off because you can feel friction and little "bumps" but that is just how they work. If it's just that, it's fine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2017

t.e.d:
    Sigurd:I spoke Linda White today, who told me that no servicing is needed unless the hub is making noises.
    What's wrong with it?
    Nothing at all - it's actually better than new, as those little "bumps" when you spin the wheel are much less pronounced now than when the hub was new.

But I am used to hubs that regularly need servicing (bearings, grease, adjustment), but if the SON needs _nothing ever_, all the better.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2017

Sigurd:
    t.e.d:
    What's wrong with it?
    Nothing at all - it's actually better than new, as those little "bumps" when you spin the wheel are much less pronounced now than when the hub was new.

But I am used to hubs that regularly need servicing (bearings, grease, adjustment), but if the SON needs _nothing ever_, all the better.

Awesome. All the more reason to finally build that bombproof front wheel with a SON hub.
    I have been totally enamoured with Blitzu lights lately. I've given more than a few away, and I own at least 2 rear lights and a multitool of theirs currently. Their lights are so cheap and so good, I feel like I must be doing something terrible as a consequence, like unwittingly supporting child slavery or somesuch. Anyone else got a Blitzu light? $15 for a sweet rechargeable taillight. $20 for an even brighter awesome rechargeable taillight that includes a free multitool (that has a socket wrench attachment set !!!). $23 for a rechargeable front and tail light combo pack- 350 lumen headlight!?!