Not signed in (Sign In)
    Sorry, that's AXIOM
    handy little light that you can put in your pocket.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011

Finally received a replacement Magicshine 1600 light head. Trying it out today at the SoNoPark Holiday Fest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

I came across some kind of street fair near Upas and 32nd today - it was very nice, probably the So-No Park event you are talking about. Some great pizza was on offer!

I am very happy with my Edelux setup, but can't wait to see the Magicshine in the "wild" - I gather it is superbright.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Sigurd:
    I am very happy with my Edelux setup, but can't wait to see the Magicshine in the "wild" - I gather it is superbright.

I have been using it for a week now and my initial verdict still stands. Amazing light output, to the point of too bright. Only down Torrey Pines do I have it on full blast now. Finally I am able to see my stretch of road even if there are cars coming the opposite way with their highbeams on. I also like how wide and even the throw is, not just a small hotspot but a really wide and decently deep cone of light.

Things I don't like so much: the velcro strap that holds the battery pack broke the plastic on the first ride. My seller promised t send me a replacement but for now I am using the strap from my old Light&Motion that seems better quality.
    And the weakest part, imho, is the mount. While the O-ring makes for a quick and flexible attachment, I simply do not trust the stability and durability. I already checked out parts in the hardware store and will build a new mount, similar to the NiteRider's universal mount. A clamp and swivel system offers the stability I crave and will not snap when UV light and ocean air have aged the rubber, like an O-ring will.

But overall, the best money I have ever spent on a light. Just $150, shipped, with helmet mount and the fancy battery pack with the backlit display of remaining juice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011

Tested the Magicshine 1600 on the way back up Utah St. to Adams Avenue from the SoNoPark Holiday Fest. Not quite dark yet at 5:20 pm, but the light on brightness setting 3 of 4 coupled with the Magicshine 900 on the helmet got me home captaining the tandem without one driver violating my right of way. Two drivers even pulled over and stopped to let me pass, not realizing it was a bicycle coming up from behind. I find that if drivers don't recognize me as a cyclist and can't figure out what is lit up so brightly they are much less likely to interfere with my progress.

This morning I was called late and had to motorcycle in (effing freezing cold!), but tomorrow I plan to test the 1600 on the way in to work in total darkness. Should be interesting flying down Texas St in the dark.
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011

Another odd one:

http://www.bikeglow.com/
    Bike glow is fantastic! REI sells these. I found that I can wrap it around my arm warmer sleeves at night so I can do my hand signals.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011

I've been using Bike Glow for almost a year now. It is effective in total darkness.
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011 edited

I picked up my new wheel tonight at Velocult and took this picture after I got home. In addition to the Velocity Dyad REFLECTIVE RIM I also have a 700x35 Marathon Supreme on there and I can't tell where the rim ends and the tire begins with the reflective part. However, the reflective strip on the tire is maybe a bit more than 1/8" wide so that's got to be mostly the rim. My old Cinelli lux tape is still reflecting camera flash like a champ too. Too bad it's starting to fall apart.

I also picked up a pair of Velocult waterproof front panniers and mounted them on the back. I'm planning on getting a front rack in the not too distant future but my old panniers are pretty much done now, so it was time. It was an expensive trip to the bike shop I got some good stuff.
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2011

This could probably be adapted to bicycles:

http://electroluminescence-inc.com/ELtape.htm
    This is a local company that makes glow in the dark silk screens. Their price is very reasonable and can make a shirt at their booth. I see them every week at Oceanside Sunset Market (food and music fest). They're local and accepts local orders.

I'd like to get the some Urban BS designs and have them make it.

http://www.wegottheglow.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011

Several drivers driving the opposite direction flashed their high-beams at me last night, I can only assume because they thought my headlight (Edelux) was too bright: At least they can't complain they didn't see me!

PS! The people occupying the SD RIver bike path weren't too happy about my lights, either!
    :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins

Returning from work in University City one afternoon in late November I was using the Magicshine 1600 as a daytime running light. Riding the bum gauntlet down on the Rose Creek Bike Path Bum Camp one of them loitering in a large group said "That light's too bright," stepped toward me and tried to grab my handlebar as a passed. I almost crashed. Telephone calls and emails to Council District 2 and copied to SDPD were never returned. When we passed through the same area during the Fox Hunt on Monday the same bums were loitering in the same place. It's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt or robbed there. Then maybe the city will rethink their policy of using class I bike paths as bum dormitories.
    • CommentAuthorSam

wpstoll:Returning from work in University City one afternoon in late November I was using the Magicshine 1600 as a daytime running light. Riding the bum gauntlet down on the Rose Creek Bike Path Bum Camp one of them loitering in a large group said "That light's too bright," stepped toward me and tried to grab my handlebar as a passed. I almost crashed. Telephone calls and emails to Council District 2 and copied to SDPD were never returned. When we passed through the same area during the Fox Hunt on Monday the same bums were loitering in the same place. It's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt or robbed there. Then maybe the city will rethink their policy of using class I bike paths as bum dormitories.

I forgot to mention this but, Tom Landre sent this a week ago:

we are working hard to get the Rose Creek Bike path cleaned up. The police department has been helping out by removing the homeless camp. The public works dept cleared out the trash and will be doing so again as shopping carts and other junk are reappearing. We are also trying to get the graffiti removed under the bridge.
    • CommentAuthorStephan

Sigurd:Several drivers driving the opposite direction flashed their high-beams at me last night, I can only assume because they thought my headlight (Edelux) was too bright: At least they can't complain they didn't see me!

PS! The people occupying the SD RIver bike path weren't too happy about my lights, either!
    :face-devil-grin:

Maybe you should aim your light a little lower. It's so easy to get really bright bike lights now, but not everyone takes care in setting them up. It's not unusual for me to come upon cyclists on bike paths who have their lights aimed so high that it is difficult for me to see ahead. The reason I have bright lights (Lumotec IQ Cyo) is to be able to see the pavement clearly and far enough ahead to avoid hazards.

By the way, Santa brought me a Princeton Tec EOS bike light for my Bike Friday that doubles as a camping headlamp. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
    • CommentAuthorJayKay

As a regular commuting through the rose creek path, I can verify the city has been active in cleaning the area up. A couple weeks ago signs were up announcing the area would be cleaned up and remaining property would be seized. Its obvious a lot of work has gone into cleaning it up. Since then the area has improved, though I still would not drop into that area in the dark.

The graffiti is usually removed quickly but its really battling a uphill battle. This area of PB brings all sort of of enforcement challenges.
    • CommentAuthorSam

Stephan:
    Maybe you should aim your light a little lower. It's so easy to get really bright bike lights now, but not everyone takes care in setting them up. It's not unusual for me to come upon cyclists on bike paths who have their lights aimed so high that it is difficult for me to see ahead.

My niterider is pretty bright too and I noticed very recently that sometimes I was blinding the driver stopped in front of me as my lights were shining right into their rear view mirrors, so I learned to lower my lights when I come to a stop. I have depth perception issues when riding at night (as some of you witnessed when I rode into the curb a few times when completely sober) so I really need bright lights when riding at night.
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011 edited

Sam:My niterider is pretty bright too and I noticed very recently that sometimes I was blinding the driver stopped in front of me as my lights were shining right into their rear view mirrors, so I learned to lower my lights when I come to a stop. I have depth perception issues when riding at night (as some of you witnessed when I rode into the curb a few times when completely sober) so I really need bright lights when riding at night.
    A couple of times I've had people who started to move like they were about to right hook me and I shined my light into their car on purpose, taking care to hit the mirrors and the driver as much as possible (it's on my helmet) and they backed off. It's a great attention getter. I actually get a lot more positive comments from pedestrians and drivers on my light than negative ones.

I get honked at by drivers going the other way during the day more often than at night. I run the light in flash mode during the day in order to discourage left/right crosses. I point it a bit higher during the day as well. At night I point it lower to see the road.
    Here's a nice story about the City of San Diego putting some effort into cleaning up the Rose Creek Bike Path. Timely considering the recent topic in this thread. I guess we'll see how it goes. It would be nice if the City could tout a success in their efforts by the time the new pedestrian/bike bridge opens over the Rose Creek.

http://www.bikesd.org/2011/12/city-cleaning-up-rose-creek-bike-path/

OKB
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011 edited

I was apprehensive at the bridge's groundbreaking ceremony that it would become another multi million dollar bum dormitory like the OB/Hotel Circle bike path. Let's hope the cleanup can be successfully maintained so that the area is once again safe for legitimate path users.
    EDIT: Deleted post ....clearly wrong place for stated opinions
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Stephan:Maybe you should aim your light a little lower...
    I do lift my light to a "high beam" position for daytime riding, and do admit it is perfectly possible that I forgot to lower it into low beam position when the sun set: Will try to pay more attention to this in the future.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Sigurd:
    Stephan:Maybe you should aim your light a little lower...
    I do lift my light to a "high beam" position for daytime riding, and do admit it is perfectly possible that I forgot to lower it into low beam position when the sun set: Will try to pay more attention to this in the future.

Lumotech has a light with a daylight sensor that does that automatically. Goes into a daytime mode where it puts less of the light down on the road and more up higher for cars to see.
    Here's a nice article by Jan Heine from his blog. A good discussion about the Wide-Body SON Delux Generator Hub.

OKB
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012 edited

Turns out my NiteRider 600 kills the wireless signal on my new Cateye computer. Bummer. Maybe I can rig them up with more distance between 'em.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2012

mfutch:Turns out my NiteRider 600 kills the wireless signal on my new Cateye computer. Bummer. Maybe I can rig them up with more distance between 'em.
    Hit up Lucky Penny. She's using a wireless and a NiteRider. Both on her bars, I believe.
    I'm new to all this 2-wheeled non-sense and also searching for a good headlight that won't break my budget. It's great stumbling on this thread. Here are 2 good visual comparos as my contribution to this topic:

Comparo geared towards hippies who refuse to drive to work
    Comparo geared towards crazies who enjoy breaking jaws

From what I've read and seen, something around 250 lumens will be fine for commuting and occassional critical mass shenanigans. The cheaper lights claiming 2W or even 1W LEDs will probably work well too if you don't ride too fast in pitch dark places. Seems like the light pattern is a big factor in choosing a good light. You'll want a more dispersed area so all the potholes and broken glass are visible rather than a super-bright spot which doesn't really light up anything. What do you guys think? I haven't bought one yet, but will get something soon. I'll be back with a review of whatever I end up with. Thanks for all the tips on this thread guys, and looking forward to one of you blinding me on the road soon...especially the dude with the 900 lumen jobber on his helmet :)
    We do night riding for Taco Tuesdays in many parts of San Diego. Join us if you can because you will see how we blaze the streets with our MiNewt 250, 350, 600s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012

deprotinator:
    From what I've read and seen, something around 250 lumens will be fine for commuting and occassional critical mass shenanigans. The cheaper lights claiming 2W or even 1W LEDs will probably work well too if you don't ride too fast in pitch dark places. Seems like the light pattern is a big factor in choosing a good light. You'll want a more dispersed area so all the potholes and broken glass are visible rather than a super-bright spot which doesn't really light up anything. What do you guys think? I haven't bought one yet, but will get something soon. I'll be back with a review of whatever I end up with. Thanks for all the tips on this thread guys, and looking forward to one of you blinding me on the road soon...especially the dude with the 900 lumen jobber on his helmet :)

On the open road it's unlikely you'll be blinded by my lights unless you're riding salmon and coming at me head on. On class I bike paths I will power down my bar mounted lights when I see you coming and palm my helmet light to avoid blinding you.

I like to combine a couple of bright floods aimed low with a pencil beam aimed higher to put a spot up the road in front of me, very similar to what rally car drivers use after dark. Helmet light illuminates whatever I look at and is effective at getting the attention of drivers planning to pull out from a side street or driveway, even in daytime.
    Tested out my new headlights tonight. Rode from Sorrento Valley to Black Mtn Road via Mira Mesa Blvd (also traversed through several side streets in the residential neighborhoods of Mira Mesa). Happy to report they worked well. I bought two Rosewill RLFL-11002 3W lights. These are essentially miniature flash lights with a mounting bracket for the bike. The light has a rotating ring that zooms the beam in and out. It's a nice uniform round beam that's not bright enough to light up everything, but 1 light is good enough for my entire ride. I had 2 though...I used one angled up and flashing and the other one aimed down not flashing. I'm pretty happy with these so far. The ride took close to 2 hours and the batteries are still good. I know this brand isn't known for bike lights, but at $48 for 2, I'm pretty impressed with their value so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2012

deprotinator: I know this brand isn't known for bike lights, but at $48 for 2, I'm pretty impressed with their value so far.
    I have found that some times, "no brand" lights tend to have poor assembly and durability: It would be interesting to get a second review of these headlight from you when they have been in real-life use for a while.

Thanks for the review.

PS! In the link you provided, this headlight is $35 apiece - how did you manage to get two for $48?
    Sigurd:
    deprotinator: In the link you provided, this headlight is $35 apiece - how did you manage to get two for $48?

Newegg has daily flash sales to their email subscribers. I just got lucky one day when this light went on sale while I was in the market. If you're an electronics nerd like me :) I highly recommend subscribing to their email newsletters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2012

I happen to have a degree in Physics and I can safely say that this is pure genius, if this guy has really pulled it off:

http://www.gizmag.com/magnic-light-contactless-dynamo/21494/

"Relative movements of magnets and neighbored conductive material induce eddy currents in the conductive material - in our case the metallic rim," Dirk explains on his Kickstarter fund-raising site. "These eddy currents have their own magnetic fields which are absorbed by the Magnic Light generator kernel and by this way produce electric energy."
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2012

Just installed the Busch & Müller Toplight Line Brake Plus on my Bleriot. The Toplight Line Brake Plus senses when the bike slows under braking and glows brighter, just like the brake lights on an automobile. This is a dynamo driven tail light with a capacitor that powers the light for about 4 minutes when the bike is stopped. It also has a switch to turn the light off. Very cool. Now I have a real reason to run my lights during the daytime too.

bikingbill:I happen to have a degree in Physics and I can safely say that this is pure genius, if this guy has really pulled it off:

http://www.gizmag.com/magnic-light-contactless-dynamo/21494/

"Relative movements of magnets and neighbored conductive material induce eddy currents in the conductive material - in our case the metallic rim," Dirk explains on his Kickstarter fund-raising site. "These eddy currents have their own magnetic fields which are absorbed by the Magnic Light generator kernel and by this way produce electric energy."

I like the design. It is more cost effective than a hub dynamo wheel setup.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012

Stephan:Just installed the Busch & Müller Toplight Line Brake Plus on my Bleriot. The Toplight Line Brake Plus senses when the bike slows under braking and glows brighter, just like the brake lights on an automobile. This is a dynamo driven tail light with a capacitor that powers the light for about 4 minutes when the bike is stopped. It also has a switch to turn the light off. Very cool. Now I have a real reason to run my lights during the daytime too.

I want this. Does it connect directly to the dynamo or to the wires coming out from the headlamp?
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012

The Busch & Müller Toplight Line Brake Plus connects to wires from the headlight.
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2012 edited

I just got a Cygolite Hotshot 2, 2-watt tail light. It doesn't seem brighter than my Radbot 1000. However it does have an internal lithium battery with USB charging which is nice. No fender mounting bracket, so I guess I'll leave the Radbot on the fender.

Now up to 4 tail lights. Oh christmas tree, oh christmas tree....
    Just ordered 4 Knog Beetle knockoffs from eBay to check them out. 4 of them still cost under half of what knog charges for 1. They may be crap but if so it will be like I got a bad cup of coffee with how cheap they were. I'll post some photos if they're worth a damn. Got two front & two rear on the way.

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2012

billd:I just got a Cygolite Hotshot 2, 2-watt tail light. It doesn't seem brighter than my Radbot 1000.
    I rode with a guy this weekend who had one of these: I thought this light was superbright - It was visibly bright even in direct sunlight; I was impressed.

What is the battery life for the Cygolite Hotshot 2? I certainly appreciate the 50-100 hrs I get out of my Superflashes; you rarely have to worry about them...
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2012

The way I worded it made it sound like it isn't bright. It's bright all right, but so is my Radbot. I just got it so I don't know what the battery life is really like yet. We'll see. One of the things that I don't like about the Radbot is I need a screwdriver to change the batteries. With this, I just plug it into a USB port.
    Well they made it here. Exact same packaging as the knog beetle minus the knog logo on the front. They are pretty damn bright even during the day. I'll take some night photos to compare. They have 3 modes, on fast blink, slow blink

2 Rears on blink mode:

2 fronts on blink mode:
    Here are some dusk shots of the eBay knogs:

I think they will work pretty well if they hold up. If they last a week or two I'll probably order some more for backups.
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2012 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2012

Not only does this San Diego based company sell Headlight/taillight/USB chargers that are powered off your front wheel for $100, they also offer rugged, waterproof accessories for Smartphones and audio devices (although they all seem to currently be on backorder).
    http://www.ecoxgear.com/ecoxpower/
    I just ordered one (shipped from Texas) and will be "the canary", reporting back on it's quality. Thier chatline representative assured me that it will put out enough power to run my Garmin Nuvi continuously, since it's internal battery is just about kaput. Fingers crossed, remaining optimistic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity

Interesting. I saw something similar on Bike Rumor but the dynamo was from a company called Bike Console.

Look forward to hearing/reading your review!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

That sounds good.

I forgot about his thread. Based on what I saw from billd, I also got a Cygolite Hotshot to go with my Radbot (the screw thing to recharge is annoying.) I am very happy with the Cygolite.
    The lost Knog that it replaces just showed up at an ex's house, but that's another story...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2012

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a new Schmidt Son28 dynamo. For those who own a dynamo would you let me know if you still think it was a worthy purchase? Maybe any pros and cons, experiences, "if I were to do it again" thoughts, etc.

Cheers!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2012

svelocity:I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a new Schmidt Son28 dynamo. For those who own a dynamo would you let me know if you still think it was a worthy purchase? Maybe any pros and cons, experiences, "if I were to do it again" thoughts, etc.

Cheers!

The Schmidt's the best. I bought a Shimano Alfine because the tests on the latest model showed it too be close in efficiency.

I do recommend a quality light, like the Lumotech etc..

I love having the dynamo. I never have to worry about the lights. Om longer rides I have a setup to keep my phone charged. It's all good.