Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2012

Sigurd:It will work with Strava.

Seems like a great basic bike GPS.

This gives you an idea how the 200 compares to its bigger "siblings".
    thanks, that helps, other than not being able to upload routes it has pretty much everything i need... if i'm lucky i will be able to buy myself a birthday present next month :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

I have the Edge 305 and really like it. You can find that one used or refurbed for about the same money as the 200 or less. It has the option of cadence and HRM (I have) which I find nice.

Garmin also has amazing customer service. Needed small parts and advice before and each time they replied within hours and sent the spare part for free.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

PacMUle:... that helps, other than not being able to upload routes it has pretty much everything i need...
    ...which is the single reason why I decided against the Garmin Edge but instead got a Garmin Dakota, which allows for uploading a route (capacity of 20 routes, IIRC): When riding a route for the first time it provides great peace of mind, especially on longer distances, to feel confident you are making all the right turns.
    • CommentAuthorShady John

Pac, if you need to get a new phone anyway, and you're considering getting a smartphone, then that's your GPS--you wouldn't need to spring for a separate device.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2012

the phone thing is complicated... only free upgrade i could get for a smart phone would be an iphone & no, fuckappleintheface! i'd also have to get a more expensive plan too. i was close, but decided to keep the hate for smart phones alive :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2012

Google Maps launched its iPhone app yesterday. Having found the Apple mapping program that replaced Google's upon iOs 6 launch to be lacking, it's nice to have Google Maps back.

The new map app from Google looks nice. I wish it had cycling directions (as I believe the Droid version does), but in the mean time we'll have to settle for Auto and Pedestrian directions.

On a side note - I also wish Google Maps could seamlessly pull address data from the iPhone address book.

NPR story.

• CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2012

Got this email about a new app: BikeMyMoney $1.99.

From the author:
    As you may know, the benefits of biking are a lot but people like to measure the true value of that benefits and that is what our app made for, put numbers on the use of bikes in the city.

The most important aspect in the current world crisis is the high prices of gas and the lots of fuel wasted on short trips on cars. So the first goal to promote leave the car and take the bike is to measure how much money people are saving. For that our app, BikeMyMoney, is constantly updated with world fuel prices so it can calculate the amount of money the user is saving in every trip. This feature is currently available for more than 50 countries, including U.S.A., Canada, all of Europe and part of Asia and Latin America.

Other important aspect is the concern about Global warming, and for that goal the app also calculate the amount of CO2 that are stop being emitted to the atmosphere when you choose to bike.

App Store link.

The Android version is under development in a very early stage so no estimated date yet, but the goal is to have it for spring in the Northern Hemisphere.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2013

My NiteRider 600 kills the signal on my wireless cyclecomputer (non-GPS) so it won't track anything I do at night. Has anyone experienced this with any of the Garmin or other GPS units? I'm thinking about getting a GPS unit but wanted to make sure it will be compatible with my lighting set up.
    I use a Cygolite 300 and have no problems with my Garmin Edge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2013 edited

Unless you plan to use one of the Edge units and use the in-ride wireless features (power meter, cadence, heart rate monitors), a GPS unit is a self-contained, wired unit with no wireless signal that can be interfered with during the ride.

Furthermore, I have seen no reports online of interference from headlights onto wireless sensor or satellite signals with Garmins, FWIW.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2013

I've used my super powerful Light and Motion for hundreds and hundreds of miles right next to my Edge 500 with hrm and cadence sensor with no issues.
    Garmin just announced the new 810 and 510 today. Very useful upgrades if you can afford it.
    • CommentAuthorjacobk
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2013

I was looking for some new maps for my Garmin Legend HCX recently and I found these free ones:

California Topo 2011
    http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/523

Mexico and Central America (just got it for the Tijuana / Baja maps):
    http://mapas.alternativaslibres.es/downloads.php
    Direct link to the download: http://mapas.alternativaslibres.es/download.php?file=OpenStreetMap_Central-America.exe

They both have installers, so if you run them in Windows, the maps will show up in Basemap / MapSource to allow you to copy whatever map portions you prefer to your garmin. The first link from gpsfiledepot has some detailed instructions.

Here's an alternative OpenStreetMaps based map that contains maps for all of the United States, including routing information:
    http://www.osmmaps.com/united-states.html

For that one, you just download and copy the gmapsupp.img to the garmin folder of your sd card. I run linux and this was easier to set up initially but it's a large file (2.6gb) and had a lot of maps that I didn't need.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2013

Fantastic info, JacobK!

All of the Adventure Cycling Association's routes are available for free download from their web site as GPX files - this (routes in right hand margin) would be your starting point for downloads.

For example, if you are looking for a GPX file for the "Southern Tier" route (San Diego - Florida), you would click the link to it and then click the "GPS" link in the center margin to download the GPX files that can be uploaded straight into your Garmin.

PS! I have the Legend HCX, too, and love it!
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2013 edited

Well this is neat: http://www.garminsync.com/

Syncs Garmin Connect with Strava, so when you upload to Connect via smartphone/bluetooth, it then uploads to Strava with a few minutes delay. I'll let you know how it works.

EDIT: Not instant, but it worked as advertised. If you leave your ride as Untitled it will take up to 30 minutes to upload. If you change the name, it will take about 10 minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2014 edited

Ride With GPS has been known to often estimate excessive elevation, but changes are underway to make their data more accurate:
    Subject: Elevation Calculation Improvements Coming Thursday
    Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 16:04:14 +0000

Having issues with elevation calculations? The fix is here!

Some of our users, depending on location and device, have experienced inconsistent or inaccurate elevation calculations. Starting on Thursday we will begin using a new elevation calculation method that provides more accurate figures. Additionally, starting Thursday we will begin updating all existing routes and rides to use the new calculations.

Most routes and rides will not significantly change. This change will primarily affect routes which had obvious over-estimates for elevation gain, as well as some rides that came in under what a Garmin may have reported. We strive to provide reliable and consistent elevation figures and this improvement is a significant step in the right direction. Our goal is to have a planned route match within 10% of what a quality GPS with a barometric pressure altimeter would record on the same route. Please note due to the inconsistent nature of elevation data, we cannot always match the numbers other services or your Garmin might display. Some uploaded rides have bad data, and some planned routes might be in areas without quality elevation data coverage.

Again, the changes are rolling out Thursday and it will take several days to update all existing routes and rides using the new calculations. If you have any questions or issues please let us know, we are happy to help.

Thank you for your support!
    - The Ride with GPS team
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2014

I learned that the hard way after the SD-Alpine-Boulder Creek-Julian ride. Their estimate of elevation gain was much closer to reality than I (or my legs) expected.
    Haven't used this one but there is Go Bike Trip for iPhone & Android.

From the site:
    - Keep track of your day to day miles with the QuickMiles log. Create maps and routes with the website tools and iPhone application.
    - Use the Android application or the iPhone application to keep your QuickMiles log up to date by easily sending in your distance along with date and notes from your phone.
    - Build maps and routes with the website tools. Load your saved routes onto the iPhone app before you ride.
    - The website will keep track of your stats weekly, monthly, yearly and total.
    - Add your bicycles. Track maintenance and distance per bike.

The Bicycle Parking Project also has an app for locating bike racks called BikeParking. I am the only one who has added racks in San Diego so far and I have been suggesting new features to help make it better. I think this app will be good because it is not limited to a certain region (San Diego).

From the site:
    The bicycle parking project is powered by cyclists from all around who help build up the database of bicycle racks and other bicycle parking spaces creating a stronger bicycle community by making it easier to plan a ride and get around town without worrying about where to park your bike when you get there (wherever there may be).
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2014

It appears that RidewithGPS has had some upgrades lately. I haven't tried it, but am tempted. An attractive feature is the ability to upload/associate photos with a ride without needing an Instagram account.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2014

Someone I know just recorded an entire 1200k - 749 miles on one track on his Garmin Edge 800. It can be done.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2014

dynamo?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2014

I'll ask but probably Gomadic.
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2014

Curious to know if anyone noticed any GPS anomalies over the past couple of days that might be attributed to solar flare activity:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/09/12/347958522/solar-flare-could-trigger-auroras-tonight-for-northern-u-s

I have not had any problems.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2014 edited

• CommentTimeJun 12th 2015 edited

continued from the San Diego Bike-O-Rama thread...

"Shady,

You're the first person I've ever heard remark that the Window's OS is superior to either iOS or the Android OS. I don't know firsthand much at all about any of them, but in media reviews it seems Window's often is panned. One day I'll engage in the 21st century. I'm so 20th century. Ha!"

OKB,

I've never used a high-end Android phone such as the Samsung Galaxy S6, and from what I hear these types of phones perform well. My lower-end Android phones gave a mixed experience. I appreciated the freedom inherent in the free and customizable OS, but found the implementation to be unpolished--lots of hangups and crashes, forever-delayed OS updates, etc. Power management was dismal. I have an iPhone for work, and it performs well, but I object to the constraints that Apple puts on its users (you mean I can't change my own battery? why can't I use a micro USB charging cable? Why am I captive to Apple's vending choices?), and frankly the zombie-like smugness of the whole Apple world. I also object to spending $800 on a piece of hardware that will spend many hours in my sweaty jersey pocket, possibly tossed in the mud or scraping around in chamise chaparral. So I tried the Nokia Lumia 635 (soon to be Microsoft Lumia, since Microsoft bought the Nokia cell phone business) running Windows Phone 8.1, literally $85 including tax and a case. The phone is fine--probably not quite as nice a piece of hardware as the latest iPhone, but it's 4G LTE, fast, good screen, good reception, good GPS, etc. This Windows Phone 8.1 operating system is the real deal, absolutely competitive with iOs in terms of stability, functionality, features, power management, WiFi management, etc. It integrates well with GMail and Google Calendar, obviously it integrates well with Outlook. The native keyboard is excellent--there's a feature like Swype for Android that performs really well, better than the actual Swype Android keyboard, in fact, and with great word prediction. After getting used to this, I feel like a caveman when I have to tap on an iPhone keypad. It's true there aren't as many apps available for Windows Phone as for iOs and Android, but there's enough. The only one I really miss is Strava, and even there, after some painful experimentation, I've found a good GPS recorder that uploads files easily to OneDrive (and from there easily loaded to Strava via the web app on my computer)--it's called "GPS Track Recorder." With this app, I've been able to record long rides reliably (except for once so far), and with very little drain on the battery--a four hour recording only takes the battery down to 60-70% power remaining. I can view Strava through the web browser or through a couple of third party apps that are OK, "Cyclers" and "Straza Mate." But it's not possible to upload photos to Strava unless you use the iOs or Android apps--truly a fail on the part of Strava. There is a long thread on the Strava help site with people (mostly Garmin users, but also a few Windows Phone folks as well) begging for the ability to upload photos via the website, but for some reason Strava is dragging their feet on this--probably due to some sort of golden handcuffs from Google and Apple. Whatever, I don't really need to share photos of my rides, and if I do I can post them on SDBikeCommuter. One of the best features of Windows Phone is a happy accident---I can surf the web on the phone without being bombarded by popups asking me to "download our app"--because Vons, the Boston Globe, Rubio's, The City of San Diego, etc have not bothered to develop apps for Windows Phone. Fifteen years ago I hated Microsoft, but they have been humbled, and in spite of some shortcomings, they deliver a better experience than Apple and Google--because they actually value customers now in the post-desktop world.
    Thanks Shady,

That's a thoughtful, detailed explanation for your choice of phone and operating system. I'll have to go through it a time or two to get it all.

I object to the constraints that Apple puts on its users (you mean I can't change my own battery? why can't I use a micro USB charging cable? Why am I captive to Apple's vending choices?), and frankly the zombie-like smugness of the whole Apple world. I also object to spending $800 on a piece of hardware that will spend many hours in my sweaty jersey pocket, possibly tossed in the mud or scraping around in chamise chaparral.

For the longest time I was a Windows true believer. Much cheaper than Apple and without the "zombie-like smugness". Over time as as Windows OS versions came and went, I got tired of the glitches, bad-updates, malware vulnerabilities and need to update applications when the OS updated. I stayed loyal for many years and through many heart aches.

While taking classes at the local Community College, I was forced to work on Apple Platforms. I learned to get past the minor differences in the OS for basic functions and soon was comfortable in the Apple environment. Apple OS is based on UNIX as is Linux. It seems to be a so much more robust/bullet proof OS than the Windows proprietary OS. If you code by hand, all you really need is a text editor any way.

I became willing to pay a bit more up front for a better user experience and was very satisfied when Apple called me to replace a hard drive that hadn't gone bad but might. I had a $225 hard drive replaced on my iMac desktop, and latest OS reinstalled, all for free in just two days. All my backed up programs & files were reinstalled in two hours and I was good to go.

My Windows machines have had hard drive fails and/or virus attacks and I was on my own to buy a new hard drive, format it, and reinstall the OS and data myself. More than once....

Anyway, this "desktop experience" is what informs my current views. Mobile phones, tablets, and even laptops are a bit beyond my personal experience. I had considered an Apple laptop with a solid state drive. If I were to haul it around in a backpack or pannier, the drive would be less prone to damage. I've heard they over heat easily and of course are much pricier.

With the current migration to "the cloud", most all devices are becoming dumb terminals. I use Adobe products a lot and their app's are now all subscription based. Outlook and gmail seem to work fine in most browsers although Firefox and Safari can be problematic. I find Chrome to work the best. I was thinking that Google's deep pockets give them the resources to stay ahead of problems, unlike Firefox. (Let's not even discuss Internet Explorer, unless you know something I don't.)

Thanks Google for cutting off mobile access to my picasa account. "don't be evil" my ass.

I keep getting calls from and emails from google to consolidate my accounts and join their marketing experience. I'm not that type of user. All the internet vendors seem to be trying to consolidate their users, circle the wagons. You have to pick one or another, Google, Apple, Windows..... cross platform functionality seems to be going out.

====

This Windows Phone 8.1 operating system is the real deal, absolutely competitive with iOs in terms of stability, functionality, features, power management, WiFi management, etc.

When Windows 8 came out for the desktop, many people complained that the OS was way too bloated. It tried to be all things to all users. Personal, business, mobile phone, tablets, laptops, etc. That was the knock on the OS on the desktop. I think the mobile users hated it too. I'm out of the loop on the current versions of Windows (10) and whether they have reduced the bloat.

===

Fifteen years ago I hated Microsoft, but they have been humbled, and in spite of some shortcomings, they deliver a better experience than Apple and Google -- because they actually value customers now in the post-desktop world.

It's true that things change. I favored Windows, tried Linux and found my way to Apple. I'm trying to move beyond the desktop world myself. Maybe it's time to reexamine Windows and get a feel for what the state of the technology is.

Thanks for your input. I'll continue to ponder it. I'm sure many others will benefit from your thoughts as well.

OKB
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015

• CommentTimeJun 13th 2015

Thanks OKB. There is something to be said for customer service, and I'll grant that Apple has better service than most other manufacturers. For example, I'll never buy anything from HP again because of a couple of bad experiences. (And I won't vote for Meg Whitman.) But Apple could do everybody a big service by playing together in the same sandbox with others. I don't accept that cross-platform functionality has to be on the way out. This is what monopolists and dictators want (Marc Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs, etc)--it doesn't have to be like this. Don't accept it! When dominant market players abuse their power, they should be corralled. Microsoft in 2000, Facebook, Google, Apple, Verizon and Time Warner now----I try not to support them (though I'm still stuck with Google and Time Warner for now). But it can work out--to bring this back to bikes, around 1992 Suntour folded and Shimano became absolutely dominant, especially in the booming world of MTB components. They were hated, and I hated them at the time, because it seemed they were changing things for the sake of change, making things not backward compatible, etc, because they were in a dominant market position. But a couple of things happened. On the one hand, there was a lot of innovation by companies like RockShox, Onza, DiaCompe, etc that kept Shimano honest. And at the same time Shimano backed off--they continued to maintain general compatibility with other manufacturers in many areas, and they moved forward by making great parts that offered great value and reliability, and by innovating in ways that (usually) truly improved operation. And they became more humble--something that today's tech leaders could learn. Paul, I haven't used Linux/Ubuntu myself but I think the Ubuntu phone is an excellent development--open source should be supported.
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2015

Shady John: The only one I really miss is Strava, and even there, after some painful experimentation, I've found a good GPS recorder that uploads files easily to OneDrive (and from there easily loaded to Strava via the web app on my computer)--it's called "GPS Track Recorder." With this app, I've been able to record long rides reliably (except for once so far), and with very little drain on the battery--a four hour recording only takes the battery down to 60-70% power remaining.

Well, not quite true yet. 'm still having trouble recording long rides reliably. I don't think it's the phone. I'm working with two different apps at the moment to see if I can figure out the right settings for reliable recording. Definitely this should be easier, and here so far I think iOs and Android have an advantage. I'll update when I get it figured out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2016 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2016 edited

The GPS for hipsters.

http://www.omata.com/home#product