Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorLarry
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2009 edited

What is it all about?

Here's a new thread for anyone who's interested in helping to organize a Ciclovia or Sunday Streets event(s) in San Diego. Beany started the discussion over on the bike advocacy thread, and I had a long response to her over there.

Briefly, if you haven't been following that thread, a ciclovia is a carfree event where a long stretch of a street (or streets) is closed to vehicles, and opened up for peds, cycles, dance troupes, jazzercize, tire pulls, bike repair, kids' bike classes, you name it -- whatever you can do with a street without cars. It was started in Bogota, Colombia, and New York, San Francisco and Chicago, and probably some other cities have had their own versions, called Summer Streets, Sunday Streets, and other names. Here's a video of New York's Summer Streets. LA is moving toward having one called CicLAvia. And it's time we had one here in SD! Search for CICLOSDIAS online.

Kathy Keehan of the Bike Coalition and Carolyn Chase of San Diego Earthworks/Move San Diego are both aware of the interest in this project, and I believe they will be able to help in a mentor capacity with getting this event going. But they both say there needs to be a groundswell of new volunteers and leaders to make this thing happen. So now's the time to jump in!

Sam over on sdbike.org said he (she?) is ready to take on a leadership role, and it sounds like Beany is too, so it would be great to get all the leaders, new and old, together in one room.

If you're interested in being active with this Ciclovia idea, leave a comment, and also please whisper me your e-mail address and I'll start building a list. Or if whispering fails (I've never received a whisper message on this platform before), just e-mail me at: Lahogue AT gmail DOT com.

We also have a Facebook group called San Diego Sunday Streets (created by Michael Brennan), which I hope anyone interested will join:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=45215003750&ref=ts#

--Larry

About:
    Sunday Streets (also called “Open Streets”) closes streets to automobile traffic for a day so that people may use the space for other physical and social activities. The streets become parks as people replace car traffic. People walk, bike, skate and dance and play. Everyone from businesses and community organizations to musicians and artists use the space creatively, engaging the public and providing spontaneity and discovery.

People get out and connect with their community in a transformative way. This temporary public space inspires creativity and change for the better, on that day - and beyond. It sounds simple, yet it really is very new and exciting. As of early 2012, there are more than 70 Sunday Streets events in North America. Check out StreetFilms.org for more about Open Streets around the world.
    • CommentAuthorthom
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2009

Quick edit to Larry's post above: Bike San Diego at www.bikesd.org is the site that Sam maintains/edits/rocks and I edit/contribute to.
    •  
      CommentAuthoril Pirati
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2009

I propose a motion to elect Beany as President of this project, and Sam as VP. I think those two would get along very well!
    • CommentAuthorcaboose
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010

If we ever want to pedestrianize San Diego, we need to really sell the idea, preferably to people who have money.

One thing that I haven't heard is the fact that pedestrians are more of a captive audience to ads. A friend of mine showed me this side effect on Times Square:

"Someone sitting in the street eating lunch will spend more time looking at a sign than someone walking by..."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704380504575530191596921652.html?mod=WSJ_NY_RealEstate_LEFTTopStories

It also helps real estate:

"The demand for sign space is good news for Times Square property owners at a time that the office market is still struggling from the aftermath of the recession."

If we can agree on anything it's that money is what drives change in this city; why not tell the people with money what they can do to improve the return on their investments?

Win-win-win.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010

markphilips:cicLAvia is happening on 10/10/10

visit http://www.ciclavia.org/#

Yippeee!:face-devil-grin:

Schweet!
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2010 edited

Just looking at the still: what is she doing with her hand?
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2010

Ha ha CT! The faces make it even more sketchy!

I heard about LA's event on NPR this morning. They tried to down talk it, yet anyone they talked to was excited about it!
    L O L ! At least she's cute!:face-monkey:
    These photos really puts it in perspective. cicLAvia 10/10/10

• CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2010

That's interesting: people riding both ways. On the Sunday rides organized in Mexico City, everybody rolls on the same direction.

Mind you, the Ciclovia itself (I think they started calling it Ciclopista at first) is a bike path and has, of course, both ways, but I guess they realized that to keep things as neat as possible on the organized rides, it would be better if everyone went the same way.
    Cyclists rode at a leisurely pace. Mostly riding in AWE, seeing other people using the streets, admiring buildings, checking out the cafes and buildings. No accident reports on the route.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2010

i have never been sadder to have to work on sundays :face-crying:
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010

It's CopenhLAgen!
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010

LAmsterdam!
    I plan to ride cicLAvia this year. Anybody interested carpooling with me?

Announcing CicLAvia 2011: April, July, October
    February 1, 2011

CicLAvia will roll on the streets of Los Angeles three times in 2011. The route will be more-or-less the same as 10-10-10, with expansion to South L.A., Boyle Heights, and/or Chinatown as CicLAvia works with these communities and gets the new extensions ready and permitted – most likely in October. Below are the dates - click on a date to link to the event page on Facebook – invite friends and spread the word!

* Sunday April 10th 2011
    * Sunday July 10th 2011
    * Sunday October 9th 2011

More information on these coming soooooooon!
    History repeating itself

Following exactly the same pattern as in Britain, bicycle use in the Netherlands halved during the 1960s. It reached an all-time low in 1972, just before the oil crises of 1973. But then something changed. Ton Welleman, a civil servant responsible for Dutch cycling policy, explained: "Following the oil crises of 1973, many Dutch people rediscovered their bicycles during car-free Sundays." The problems caused by car traffic were becoming also evident. "The rapidly growing car monster started to bite its own tail," said Ton. "Traffic casualties increased rapidly. Traffic congestion occurred more and more often and the space that parked cars were occupying formed an increasing problem in the cities. Care of the environment was growing, there was more attention paid to healthy exercise, there was an oil crisis...and people rediscovered the bicycle as an efficient mode of transport. So a decrease in bicycle use changed into an increase." - CAR SICK, 2006

•  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2011

I think this may have been mentioned before, but the LA hill climbing festival Feel My Legs, I'm a Racer goes off leading up to CicLAvia.

Here is an update/explanation

Both look really cool, but I screwed up and scheduled something else on the 10th.
    "Bicycling in ordinary clothes is a sign of a civilized city.
    There is no need to cycle defensively,
    or to assert your road position,
    or to cycle at the speed of traffic,
    or to wear reflective spandex or a helmet." - Lynn Sloman

• CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2011

Cecil:I think this may have been mentioned before, but the LA hill climbing festival Feel My Legs, I'm a Racer goes off leading up to CicLAvia.

Here is an update/explanation

Both look really cool, but I screwed up and scheduled something else on the 10th.

During the Corona 300 I met Matt Ruscingo, who puts on that event...cool guy. It looks like a fun event. We should organize something like that for San Diego...we've already done the computer leg work with the Steepest Streets thread, now let's get down to the actual leg work!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2011 edited

mfutch:We should organize something like that for San Diego...we've already done the computer leg work with the Steepest Streets thread, now let's get down to the actual leg work!
    Great idea.

As I was working my way up and down Mt. Soledad a few minutes ago I was thinking that having a Soledad hill ride would be fun, too: There are so many less knows ways up that are beautiful and virtually car-free.

"Off the beaten track up Mt. Soledad".

VS.

"Main arteries up Mt. Soledad".

We could even include some dirt sections and some rutted-asphalt "jeep trail" sections, if there was a need for it.
    There were noticably more people, kids, and families last weekend at cicLAvia. Amazing place to just watch people ride by. I strapped on a GoPro wide angle camera and took time lapse pictures; the camera was facing backwards. So I could take shots of people behind me....We saw Aaron and Andrea from San Diego. Also met a few folks from San Diego and different parts of SoCal.

Photos will be posted soon.
    More Than 130,000 Take Part In 2nd Annual ‘CicLAvia’ CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS

Even Lance Armstrong rode the cicLAvia route
    • CommentAuthorkyle
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011

So cool. I heard Zach de la Rocha was there too. [random internet picture]

• CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011

Is that a Masi headbadge?
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2011 edited

Amazing Story:

Here’s one of the best stories from 4/10 that I heard from the LAPD. A father is out at CicLAvia at the Bike District with his two kids. He is attending to something and loses sight of his six year old daughter on her bike. Amazinglly, he doesn’t contact the police until two hours have elapsed and he is desperate to find her. The police put out a call and find the six year old within 10 minutes. Where is she? They were sure they would find her close to the Bicycle District. But no. She rode her bike from Melrose and Heliotrope to Holllenbeck Park. 7.5 miles. She just followed the CicLAvia route and went along with the protective crowd. When asked, she said she never felt afraid and had a great time riding from one end to the other. CicLAvia created this protective space where a six year old could go from one end of Los Angeles to the other without fear. Now, that’s amazing!

Aaron: I overheard about the lost girl from one of the police officers on the route. I was told by the officer that she was “7 years old, Hispanic, on a bike and wearing a pink top and brown pants/shorts”. I immediately sent out a notice on Twitter about her. Several people re-tweeted it. No reports of any missing children in the news so I assume whoever was lost was eventually found. If that was indeed her then what a story!
    Just found out that LA Gran Fondo has a cap limit off 1500 participants. There were approximately 130,000 in cicLAvia's 7.5 mile course

•  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2011 edited

I know I've been posting about cicLAvia a lot but I found another good mini-documentary from one of the volunteers that is worth watching. Enjoy !

• CommentAuthorlucky.penny
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2011 edited

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_45215003750&ap=1

The link above is the Facebook page of San Diego Streets for People, they just posted on there wall that they are requesting a grant from SANDAG to try to get Ciclovia in San DIego.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2011

I hope we get this in San Diego.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKathy
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2011

I hope so too!
    There has been some pushback at the SANDAG board about using money for education and encouragement projects instead of infrastructure projects. I think everyone on this discussion list understands the importance of having both good infrastructure and good programs in place for cycling. Ciclovia would be considered encouragement, and the SANDAG board doesn't think that is as important. So it will be important to us, especially in September when they reconsider the bike plan implementation funding, to contact elected officials to tell them how important programs are.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2011 edited

The second cicLAvia had a lot more cyclists than the first one. The roads did feel too crowded in some parts of the route. I look forward to the expanded route in October.

CicLAvia Expands in October, Forgoes July
    Due to overwhelming success, and the need to expand, CicLAvia and the city of Los Angeles have decided to focus our energies on expanding the CicLAvia route on October 9, 2011 and to forgo the announced July 10, 2011 date...With such huge crowds in April, Los Angeles experienced its first bicycle traffic jams!
    Read more...
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2011 edited

CicLAvia ROUTE on October 9 2011...Note that L.A. Tour de Fat will be held Saturday Oct 8. So you can make a weekend bike-get-away in L.A.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2011

markphilips:CicLAvia ROUTE on October 9 2011

Sweet. Looks very accessible to rail transport. I hope to give this a shot.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011 edited

The updated route for 10/9/2011 CicLAvia is near Union Station. So you can take the Amtrak from San Diego to Los Angeles.

We may stay in LA that weekend and attend TdF in LA 10/8/2011
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011

SD Streets For People has Park & Recreation interested in a San Diego Cyclovia and already has a letter of support from District 3's Todd Gloria. They say we may have it in place for next summer!
    Anybody else going this weekend?
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011

I'm taking the train up, maybe with the wife in tow. I'm working on a project bike for her, but it most likely won't be ready in time. But I'll be there one way or the other.
    I'll be riding a solar yellow StreetStrider :face-devil-grin:
    Me me me, I'm going to.
    93/365
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2011 edited

A Family Guide to Ciclavia by Damien Newton

First and foremost, if you’re planning to drive to CicLAvia, don’t. There’s limited parking and too many other people are planning the same thing. Here are some better options.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2011 edited

Had the privilege riding with LA Mayor Villaraigosa (wearing black shirt) at cicLAvia.

We explored
    1) Hollenbeck park route. Stopped at Little Tokyo to take in the street scenes while we sipped Boba tea smoothies
    2) El Pueblo route (new) which was visibly close to Union Station. Refreshments.
    3) South central route (new)fashion district and LA's African Firefighter's museum. Refreshments.
    4) then finally settled along Spring st near city hall. Nick played dodgeball while we kept riding a few blocks back and forth to enjoy the last 2 hours.

It looked like the numbers doubled from last April's ~130,000.

IMG_06
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2011 edited

I look forward to seeing this

Metrolink introduces 10 bike cars in time for CicLAvia
    Los Angeles – Metrolink will roll ten “bike cars” into regular service just in time for CicLAvia. Bike cars are passenger railcars outfitted with space for between 18 and 24 bicycles, instead of two slots like other railcars. The agency hopes this will encourage more Southern Californians to take the train to their destination by giving them a way to get to and from the train station by accommodating more bicycles.

To create the new bicycle cars, Metrolink crews removed 29 passenger seats on the bottom level of one of its railcars that traditionally seats up to 149 people. Bicycle cars can be identified by yellow decals located on the outside of the rail car.

Metrolink used in-house resources to design and retrofit existing cars with additional storage for bicycles. The agency coordinated with bicycle advocates on the design, which was ultimately approved by the Federal Railroad Administration.