•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009

(for what ever you want to say...)

I'm just sayin' happy thanksgiving.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev

I really like a good croissant. Can't seem to find many around here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

i need more hours in the day.
    • CommentAuthorthom

Why does it surprise me every year when it starts getting dark at 4pm?
    • CommentAuthorSam

ditto to everything above.

I need to start going to Yoga classes again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009

<blockquote><cite> beany:</cite>ditto to everything above.

I need to start going to Yoga classes again.</blockquote>

Bikram.

Why do I break out with allergies when I declare I won't be riding for 7 days?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2009

I don't know where else to post this, but for those of you old enough to remember the film "On Any Sunday" or the professional MX circuit of the '70s, I had Thanksgiving dinner at my brother's house. The guest of honor was none other than five time 500cc world champion Roger DeCoster. When my friends and I were in high school we all tried to ride our Schwinn Stingrays like Roger and his sometimes teammate, the chain-smoking Joel Robert, who smoked during the motos and flicked his cigarette butts at his closest rivals.
    Those guys rode the early CZ, Maico, Husqvarna, Puch, and later Suzuki MX bikes with primitive suspension compared to modern MX Supercross rides. They had balls like churchbells.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009

•  
      CommentAuthoril Pirati
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2009

^HaHaHa! So true. The Douche Swoosh. Seriously. Why does the fact that the frame is carbon guarantee a horrible paint job? When did panels go out of style?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009

Tom Waits is a genius. I'd like to be the love child of him and Janis Joplin.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009

I have a hard time getting really enraged like I used to (my 19th year was the peak). I don't want to get mad, but I have nothing to say about anything that enrages most people (no matter how horrible).

It is just a little odd not to be upset about things that upset people around me.
    • CommentAuthorthom
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2009

William:Tom Waits is a genius.

We sail tonight for Singapore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

today im starting a makeover of the store. it'll take me a few weeks to complete since i'll be buying and making a lot of displays.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam

<blockquote><cite> thom:</cite><blockquote><cite> William:</cite>Tom Waits is a genius.</blockquote>

We sail tonight for Singapore.</blockquote>

Step right up, step right up!

Perhaps I'm trendy but Real Gone was a wake up call to his music.

I'm also pantently infatuated with Gogol Bordello.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

I love the older Tom Waits stuff. In fact, I just started playing "Nighthawks at the diner" as my morning soundtrack here at work.... Thanks for the tip!

".. all upon a foggy night, an abandoned road..."
    • CommentAuthorthom

Small Change got rained on with his own .38. And nobody flinched down by the arcade...

Looks like Waits is going to be on all day around here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

If you buy your kids a bike this Christmas, make sure you read the instructions or let a professional build it up... :face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2009 edited

I remember the late '70s/early '80s punk days in LA when Tom lived in a bungalow in back of the Tropicana Motel on Santa Monica Blvd. in Hollywierd. Jolie and I used to see him, as well as other musicians from SD/LA, at Duke's Coffee Shop next door on the mornings after the show at the Whiskey or the Roxy or the Palladium or wherever, all of us with King Hangovers waiting for the crack of noon. The Tropicana is long gone now, torn down in 1987. Duke's moved to Sunset Blvd. next to the Whiskey, but is still THE rock&roll breakfast place.

Back around 1990 I worked off and on with Francis Thumm, music director at Point Loma High School. Francis worked with Tom on several recording projects in Chula Vista. He is a multi-talented musician, way too cool for high school. He wore out his welcome there and by 2000 he was gone. I saw him a few years ago at a Crawdaddys or Tell-Tale Hearts reunion show, at the Casbah, I believe. Those guys were all from Point Loma and Mission Hills.

Regarding the photo: I wonder what ever happened to Square Wheel Racing in Berkeley! I still have one of their t-shirts!
    I wondered what was going on in the store yesterday when I stopped in. Looks like some impressive fixture building you're setting up to do, Sky!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam

<blockquote>That's right, it filets, it chops It dices, slices, never stops Lasts a lifetime, mows your lawn And it mows your lawn And it picks up the kids from school It gets rid of unwanted facial hair It gets rid of embarrassing age spots It delivers a pizza And it lengthens, and it strengthens C'mon and step right up </blockquote>

Sounds almost like a bike!

Today, I'm a hatin my cubicle life. My office sans windows. Queen rages in my head "I wanna break free".
    Yesterday, at the very end of my commute home, my odometer rolled over to 5000 miles. That was since October 19, 2008, when I bought the bicycle. I took a photo. It was the first time I'd seen that many miles on my odometer. Figuring that only 610 miles was during my tour in August, I've ridden a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

DutchBurrito:I wondered what was going on in the store yesterday when I stopped in. Looks like some impressive fixture building you're setting up to do, Sky!

I paid the guy that made our bar abd bench to build that display for us. Im already stoked how its looking. Im not a fan of stores that are filled with run of the mill disposable displays. Custom all the way :face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthoril Pirati
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009

Finally finished my Appeallant's Opening Brief for my appeal of my CVC 21202(a) case. It is hard to do legal stuff without the proper training! But now I can finally focus on some other important projects, like building up my grocery getter!
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009 edited

il Pirati:.

Finally finished my Appeallant's Opening Brief for my appeal of my CVC 21202(a) case. It is hard to do legal stuff without the proper training! But now I can finally focus on some other important projects, like building up my grocery getter!

Congrats! That stuff is hard...I know at my old law firm, the attorneys used templates. The real brainiacs would create briefs from scratch (following court rules of course).

---

On a George Clinton kick today. I saw him in concert a few years ago and it was a trippy experience (without any drugs). I'll be listening to Maggot Brain on repeat for the rest of the afternoon (music with lyrics is too distracting). Eddie Hazel is quite the genius.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009

I saw George with Bootsy Collins on bass a few years ago at Street Scene. He was so much fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorShapps
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009

William:
    I'm also pantently infatuated with Gogol Bordello.

One of the absolute best bands you will ever see live.
    •  
      CommentAuthorShapps

also on Tom Waits, he is playing The Devil in the new Terry Gilliam movie that's out later this month.
    •  
      CommentAuthorShapps
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009 edited

So the week before Thanksgiving marked my final week of having a commute to work. Starting Monday I will be working from home. I just want to say farewell to you,Genesee canyons.

I live at the top of the south end of Clairemont Drive. If anyone is familiar with the street, the hill section of that was a terrible ride for cyclists going up or down the hill to/from the 5. No bike lane, heavy traffic, lots of pot holes, curved so cars had a hard time seeing you, etc. The weekend before last the city took this hill from a two lane street to a single lane of traffic and added a bike lane on each side. Pretty cool to see this done in what most will perceive as a major inconvenience to automobiles for the benefit of those on bikes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev

Shapps (Bryan):So the week before Thanksgiving marked my final week of having a commute to work. Starting Monday I will be working from home. I just want to say farewell to you,Genesee canyons.

I live at the top of the south end of Clairemont Drive. If anyone is familiar with the street, the hill section of that was a terrible ride for cyclists going up or down the hill to/from the 5. No bike lane, heavy traffic, lots of pot holes, curved so cars had a hard time seeing you, etc. The weekend before last the city took this hill from a two lane street to a single lane of traffic and added a bike lane on each side. Pretty cool to see this done in what most will perceive as a major inconvenience to automobiles for the benefit of those on bikes.

Lemon Grove did this a few years back (reduced number of lanes to 1 everywhere and put in bike lanes). The whole idea was to specifically slow down traffic. So it is slow going in a car through my town, but a butt load of bike lanes.

And ironic that they put in bike lanes on your commute when you no longer have to bike to work. But yay for sleeping in and working in your PJs!
    • CommentAuthorthom

Bryan, welcome to the ranks of the "work at homes." Soon you'll be like, "oh, I need some peanut butter" just for an excuse to take a ride to the grocery store. Don't forget to change out of your PJs before you do that, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Bryan, now I know whom to call when my Internet or 3G goes down! :face-monkey:
    • CommentAuthorSam

I'm still in the heavenverse that is San Diego. Nice things are still happening to me in San Diego. And I think it is now official: I've been in San Diego for one whole year.

Happy, happy, happy. Joy, joy joy (bonus point for anyone who identifies the source of that phrase)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Ren and Stimpy?

• CommentAuthorSam

batmick:Ren and Stimpy?

+1 for batmick!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009

It's good to read that Clairemont Drive was reconfigured. I haven't seen it yet. The hill Bryan writes about is on my commute route when I work in Clairemont. I take it the side streets stepwise up from Morena, turning right just after the 7-Eleven on Frankfort, ending up on Huxley St. (one of my all-time favorite authors - if you liked Cormac McCarthy's The Road, try reading Huxley's apocalyptic 1948 dystopia Ape and Essence about life in post-nuked LA, complete with grave-robbing at Forest Lawn and human sacrifice coupled with Satanic worship in the Coliseum - it's written as a screenplay, so it wouldn't be much of a jump to make it into a motion picture), then turning right on Clairemont Drive to complete the ride up the hill. I never liked riding past the apartments near the top of the hill, where parked cars narrowed the lane and drivers coming up the hill behind one wouldn't give this rider any room, especially in the dark. On my return trip, riding down the grade past the same spot rarely have I been menaced quite as evilly as by some of the Clairemont soccer-mom minivan drivers. I've been honked at, sworn at, flipped off, tailgated, and otherwise messed with practically every single time I've tried riding down that hill just for being in the right lane outside the door zone, always by members of the same demographic and usually with their snotty little nose-miners pressing their greasy Pugsley Addams faces and paws against the windows. Now that we evidently have a dedicated bike lane there, it should prevent that from happening.
    Sounds like Ape and Essence was the basis for "Escape From LA".
    This kinda sucks, after today, I'm pretty much done riding my bike for 2009.

Tomorrow my ship sails for Long beach and we'll be sitting there, me with no bike for a week. To be honest I'm really not a big fan of LA, so this is not a plus for me. Now it also happens that only one of the guys I hang out with on my ship has a bike (two of the others are saving up and shopping, and 3 people about limits how many actually cool people are allowed to be on Navy ships and). Then, right after we pull back in LA, I head home to the frozen midwest for christmas. Not really a terrible thing, but I'll have to actually drive places, something I'm not really looking forward to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorShapps
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2009

Ray, Unfortunately the bike lane ends before the apartments. It only goes from the first stoplight at the bottom of the hill, to the stop light at the top by the citybank. I know well the stretch you talk about by the apartments and its awful. It was part of my commute to work. A good alternative to it is Cowley. It runs just east of Clairmont drive and you can ride it to about balboa when going north. Of all the places in my commute, Clairemont drive has been the worst by far. Something about the drivers there. Very often honked ot or even worse very nearly clipped by a car who does not want to give me space. I would love to see the city extend the dedicated bike lane all the way to Clairemont Mesa Blvd.
    • CommentAuthorProtorio
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2009

I've just got to say this, then get back to work:

Photobucket
    • CommentAuthorSam

^ That explains a lot about why Camden is the way it is today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins

Is Camden a place on the Klingon home world? K'plah!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

What a great way to start the day. Thanks for sharing!

ghIj qet jaghmeyjaj !
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2009 edited

ray333:Is Camden a place on the Klingon home world? K'plah!

Not sure if this was a serious question...but for those who don't know.

Camden, NJ is on the other side of the Delaware river. Practically a stone's throw away from Philly.
    In 2009 Camden has the highest crime rate in the United States with 2,333 violent crime's per 100,000 people while the national average is 455 per 100,000.

One of my big thrills is riding through urban decay (Satan's Laundromat covers this via a photoblog that I absolutely LOVE). But Camden was another beast. Husband and I rode through Camden (I think twice) and it was just depressing and scary as hell. This was in around 2003-2004. It has since gentrified, but makes North Philly seem so tame in comparison.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins

Cool! Someone else speaks basic Klingoni! On one of my tours down the West Coast I met a German tourist whose brother was graduating from UCSD. Juergen was touring from Canada to San Diego for the occasion. Jolie and I met him in the hiker/biker camp in Half Moon Bay. He had learned English by watching American TV programs. His favorites were the Star Trek series and he had a Klingoni lexicon.

Juergen is a purist who consumes no psychoactive chemicals: no alcohol, caffeine, or anything! He has waist-length blond hair. While riding through the strawberry fields in Watsonville he was whistled at by field workers who mistook him for a woman until he got closer and they realized their mistake. They thought I was the luckiest tourist they had ever seen, riding with two long-haired blondes!

He had an annoying habit of drafting us without ever taking a pull. By the time we reached Big Sur Jolie was livid: "Get that guy off my wheel!" We stayed in camp in San Simeon for two days and Juergen had to leave after the first day to make it to San Diego on time. The last time we saw him he had found a touring tandem to draft. He had a big grin on his face as he passed our camp riding south on Hwy 1. We still get postcards from him sent during his travels around the globe: Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Tierra del Fuego.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam

<blockquote><cite> ray333:</cite>Cool! Someone else speaks basic Klingoni! On one of my tours down the West Coast I met a German tourist whose brother was graduating from UCSD. Juergen was touring from Canada to San Diego for the occasion. Jolie and I met him in the hiker/biker camp in Half Moon Bay. He had learned English by watching American TV programs. His favorites were the Star Trek series and he had a Klingoni lexicon.</blockquote>

So cute when you guys talk geek!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

What can I say?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins

When I tried to log in at work on Thursday and Friday I discovered that my employer had installed a new internet filter. sdbikecommuter.com is now off-limits due to "adult language!" Ironically, I can still log on to sdfixed and other profanity-laden forums, so go figure! I'll just have to post when I get home from now on.
    • CommentAuthorSam

Dirty nerdy (or geeky) talk coming up...

I'm so happy to meet normal nerds sometimes, who bike, eat sustainably and compile their own kernels.

I'm going to switch to slackware one of these days. And run ratpoison as my window manager again. Debian is getting a tad too clunky for me.

I wish SUN would bring back those laptops again. It would be so hot to run a BSD kernel on a sun machine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam

I probably shouldn't have made that joke, about nerds and all. I'm all about people being who they are and being accepted for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

linux/BSD ftw!