Not signed in (Sign In)
    I've never seen it so much as I do here. It would be awesome if craigslist would do something like that but I'm not holding my breath.
    Just saying that some of our citizens park like an @#$!hole! Here's a notice that you can give them
    http://www.youparklikeanasshole.com/got-a-notice/got-a-notice.php
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2011

We had this one at our old shop

•  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2011 edited

•  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2011 edited

Love that song. Mind if we add it to Soundtrack of the day?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011

WOW! and i though california had the worst drivers.... the east coast drives like shit! morbid maybe, but still pretty neat...
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/interactive/2011/nov/22/us-road-accident-casualties?fb=native
    --"US road accident casualties: every one mapped across America, 369,629 people died on America's roads between 2001 and 2009"--
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011 edited

People always complain about not being able to ride in California because of the drivers and I've never really understood that. I find the drivers here to be descent compared to some other places I've ridden. The American South is horrid. Georgia I hear is suicidal.Keep in mind that the worse places don't even have that many riders because they are so bad.
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011 edited

Actually, East coast isn't that much worse. If you zoom in a little, it seems a bit less lopsided. Keep in mind that a lot of the Western U.S. is sparsely populated. That's why there is so much open area.

Florida is reported to be especially bad.

I ride plenty (as many people here know) so I don't consider California bad enough to not ride but there is a lot of room for improvement.

This morning some idiot pulls in behind me on Pacific Highway (South) while I was stopped in the middle of the lane for the red light at Laurel. Across Laurel, there is no bike lane but there are parked cars and the lane quickly narrows to about 9 feet, which is way too narrow for lane sharing. There are three lanes. I had been waiting at the light for 30 seconds (just missed the previous green) when this idiot pulls up behind me. He could have easily chosen another lane. A couple of cars pass on the left and this idiot nearly hits me moving over at the last possible second. He then moves back to the right and floors it, probably doing 50-60mph in a 35mph zone so he can pass the cars on the right. He hits the red light at Hawthorn but by then he has moved into the left lane (still three lanes wide here). I caught up easily without even trying. The light turns green and he floors it again. He gets away this time, but I can't imagine that he saved himself more than 10 seconds by driving like a psycho maniac. He saved none getting to Hawthorn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

It's been about 7 months since I've been able to ride. Talked to the surgeon today and I had hopes that since I'm recovering nicely that he'd give me the OK to ride but nope. He says I need to chill out for 3 more weeks. Oh well.

:face-crying:
    • CommentAuthormfutch

That is a bummer Sky. What was the original injury?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Bulging L5 disc. Really bad one. Kept me from riding, walking, working, and even just standing. Lost 15 lbs of muscle of muscle in 6 months. Man do i feel good being active again and off of the Percaset, Vicodin, and Morphine cocktail.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011 edited

That's when the value of a recumbent comes in because it has cumfy 'cushy' seat that's very much like the one you have in your truck. I was off the diamond frame bikes for almost 8 months then I started test riding the recumbent trikes and bikes at my LBS. Then I bought a pre-loved BikeE and put it on a stationary trainer for a couple of months. That's how I got started with recumbents and trikes it helped me pedal to a quicker to recovery. On another note, we did the same thing (Recumbent on a stationary trainer) for Gena's knee rehab.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011

Brutal. Get well soon amigo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Hang in there, it'll be over soon.

I had the same thing, the disk between L4 and L5. Already had an appointment for the surgery but managed to get it under control with physical therapy and some ergonomics changes at work(new chair, different monitor setup) etc..

Now it is just a bad memory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

How do you prevent these sort of injuries (other than riding the bike)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

In my case it was mostly brought on by arthritis in my spine. I had no idea I had arthritis until the MRI. How to keep the arthritis from getting worse is my new battle but I'm clueless if it's even possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Some diets can help with inflammation ... That's all I got.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

bikingbill:How do you prevent these sort of injuries (other than riding the bike)?

Most of us neglect our spine. A combination of bad posture, bad ergonomics and not enough exercise can make a pre-existing bad lower back worse. By exercise I am not alking about the cycling but about toning and execising your back muscles and abs. Those are what hold your spine and your core stable. Just 2-3 minutes of toning exercises every day will work wonders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011 edited

Was enjoying the Flickr stream of the Pashley Sprinter, but wtf photoing it with a carbon fork?

IMG_3117

IMG_3118
    batmick:
    bikingbill:How do you prevent these sort of injuries (other than riding the bike)?

Most of us neglect our spine. A combination of bad posture, bad ergonomics and not enough exercise can make a pre-existing bad lower back worse. By exercise I am not alking about the cycling but about toning and execising your back muscles and abs. Those are what hold your spine and your core stable. Just 2-3 minutes of toning exercises every day will work wonders.

Yeah, I sure did learn a lot of core exercises from the physical therapist. I still do those simple but effective exercises. Cross-training like walking, jogging, powerkiting, and others also help rejuvenate muscle groups neglected by bicycling. Since then I've discovered northern thai massage, capoeira, and of course, hatha yoga helps every bit. That Streetstrider was also great for cross-training as it enabled me to go outside and have a balanced upper and lower body workout. Currently, we have a family plan with a N.E.T. and chiropractic practitioner in Encinitas. We pay him to keep us healthy to ensure that any stresses in life (mental, emotional, energetic, physical or nutritional) do not interfere with the normal functioning of the body.
    An acquaintance suggested:

"Save the turkeys, eat a beaver." :face-devil-grin:

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
    Here's a nice view in the WESTERN Sky this evening just after sunset. The MOON and VENUS are right next to each other, low along the horizon. Catch them soon after sunset because they too will set within an hour or so of sunset. This nice off shore breeze we're experiencing will give clear viewing to the west.

Visit SkyandTelescope.com for more information.

OKB

:face-monkey:
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011

• CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011

lol
    I love that one.:face-crying:
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2011

Some interesting finds on Craigslist these days for 10-25 year old mountain bikes--A Schwinn Homegrown, a clean-looking green 1997 Stumpjumper M2 pro, and this nice old smurf of a Gary Fisher--someone should buy this for $65 just for the Deore thumbshifters and U-brake:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/2729408310.html

I'm tempted but it's really hard to justify buying yet another old CroMo MTB...
    Just sayin...I've gotta Ride More and Drive Less

•  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011

Those that know me, know how much of a smart-ass I am. Bicycling allows me to voice my opinion to those that see fit to share their views with (usually at high speed from a car window, like they're afraid of me or something).

So, I present to you, some of my latest quips blurted out to those open windows:

Car: "Why don't you use a bike lane?" (no bike lane present)
    Me: "Why aren't you using a freeway?"

Car: "You're not a car, you know!"
    Me: "Holy shit, you're right! I've been on a bike for the last six blocks! Where did this thing come from?"

Car: "Get off the road!"
    Me: "You first; I'll follow if you can find a better path!"

Car: "You're not supposed to be on the road!"
    Me: "Yeah, tell the city to build me a bike path instead! And tell them I want it paved with gold this time!"

Car: "Asshole!"
    Me: "Geoff! Pleased to meet you, Asshole!"

Car: "Quit blocking the road!" (on a one-way street with three lanes)
    Me: "Why, are the other two lanes broken?"

Feel free to add you own quips. I love my daily banter with the unwashed masses. Just sayin'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

^^LOL^^ :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins

IIWDABIWHLIOMN!
    I love the ” your not a car” one. So great.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

Good ones, mileco!
    from Bikeyface
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011 edited

Was in an accident tonight (5:20pm or so) on Ruffin Rd just north of Aero Dr, heading southbound. I collided with a car attempting to turn left. I'll leave out some of the details, much the way that some of the details are missing for me. I remember hitting, then getting up, yelling alot, and making a couple calls. Apparently, I had made three calls and had fought the driver. Those details I did not know until the hospital. I'm missing about 15-20 minutes from tonight. Right now, a bit scared about that rather crucial part. I'm missing time! Injuries to me are mostly facial (fractured facial bones) with really sore wrists and the rest of my face. Bike is strangely not that damaged, but will know more soon. Either way... cop seemed to think I should have been to the right... where I WOULD have collided anyway. More details later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011

sd_mike:Was in an accident tonight (5:20pm or so)...
    That is terrible news, Mike. Hope you feel better real soon and that you recover quickly. And keep us updated with your progress!
    • CommentAuthorJayKay

Terrible news. Wish you a quick recovery!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

The left hooks are scary. Hope you recover fast.
    • CommentAuthordstone

Best in your recovery!
    sd_mike:Was in an accident tonight (5:20pm or so) on Ruffin Rd just north of Aero Dr, heading southbound. I collided with a car attempting to turn left. Either way... cop seemed to think I should have been to the right... where I WOULD have collided anyway. More details later.

I hope you get well soon. Did the accident occur at the intersection or north of Ruffin and Aero?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Damn Mike, I hope you make a full recovery. Is it one of those situations where the driver didn't figure on a cyclists riding as fast as you ride?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

And I know you wear a helmet everyday. Sure glad you do.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

Damn damn damn. Sorry to hear about the accident, Mike! Please let us know if we can provide any assistance with anything. :face-sad:
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

Accident was about 1/4 down the slope north of Aero Dr. I'm a bit stiff today, but we'll see how it goes. I can only figure that my face hit the ground or the car. Damage on the bike seems to attest to striking the right side hard, but the shifter is moved inward on the left side, wheels still seem "true". So, I don't know what happened, yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Examine the frame closely, but you already knew that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins

A few years ago I crashed on Ruffin descending just south of where Mike crashed when a driver who wanted to turn right on Aero Dr. moved me over into the algae at the curb. It was slick as snot. I went down hard and put a nice dent into the rear quarter of the car. Fortunately there was an SDPD black and white a few cars back. The patrolman witnessed the whole thing and stopped traffic from running over me.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

I will have a bike shop inspect. I am still really amazed at the damage to myself and the bike. I was in a skinsuit, no damage at all to it. I am not bruised or sore except my face (which has three fractures), and my wrists (no fractures to my knowledge). The part that is scary is that I had assaulted the driver and don't even remember it at all. I can't even figure when it would have happened.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

I had a similar thing when I was 15 at the Encino Velodrome. Busted my face all up, lost 6 teeth and got a lifelong seizure disorder but no scratches anywhere else. Good thing I broke the fall with my face.

:face-sad:
    • CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011 edited

Sorry to hear that.

I'm trying to understand how the collision happened. If I'm understanding you correctly, he was making a left turn into one of the driveways there across traffic in front of you? I say that because you say it happened about 1/4 of the way down the slope and that's the only left turn that makes sense for that to me. If I'm understanding you correctly, I can't imagine how the cop could think that you being further right could have helped the situation. He'd have to be a complete idiot. In fact, being further out in the lane actually makes you more noticeable to drivers who might make a left cross in front of you.

If you can remember: Were you obscured from the vision of the left turning driver by another vehicle passing you on the left? That's a tricky one and while it's still very much the fault of the left turning driver for not making sure that it's clear before turning across traffic (violation of CVC 21801(a)), it's obviously best to be aware of that situation and try to compensate for it by slowing down enough to make sure that the driver sees you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Hope you recover quickly.

Judging by Google Streeview there is no bike lane there so there should be no argument about you being in it (not that that is an excuse for a left hook to begin with). You have a lane and you're entitled to use it.

The big problem is the assault, most likely adrenaline induced. A similar outbreak on my part back in Munich landed me in court and we ended up settling. The driver, who was at fault for running a red light, got off free and I got off the hook for the assault. Still left me with a broken bike, though. My only consolation was that I also kicked off one of his mirrors. But without my assault he would have had to pay way more than that. Damn my temper!
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

Left turn was from one of the driveways to the right, so he turned across traffic, I collided with his left side. After that, unsure what happened.