Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2016

billd:She taught you how to enjoy the rip tide? Impressive when teaching a self described poor swimmer.

I'm poor compared to this fish I'm with. As a child I used to compete. Just slow and only know how to do the breast stroke well (which is what I raced when I was a child).
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

OK, so Rose Canyon bike path is nice.

But WTF is with Rose Creek? I rode it for the first time in a decade (San Diego Randonneurs ride on Saturday), and it's still crap. The section neat the soccer fields still has the bumps and holes I remember from the 1990's.

Really?
    • CommentAuthorShady John

bikingbill:OK, so Rose Canyon bike path is nice.

But WTF is with Rose Creek? I rode it for the first time in a decade (San Diego Randonneurs ride on Saturday), and it's still crap. The section neat the soccer fields still has the bumps and holes I remember from the 1990's.

Really?

The whole section between Mission Bay Park/De Anza Cove and the crossing over Mission Bay Drive near In and Out has been abandoned, more or less. The northern end of that segment is full of trash and homeless people--probably the trashiest homeless camp I've seen in San Diego, except maybe for parts of East Village. At least it was a couple of weeks ago when I last rode through there--might have been a beach/creek cleanup day in the interim. And as you say, the bumps on the Southern segment are pretty bad.

You know the City of San Diego has a deferred maintenance backlog...I doubt the resurfacing of that path is a priority.
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2016

Shady John:
    bikingbill:OK, so Rose Canyon bike path is nice.

Really?

The whole section between Mission Bay Park/De Anza Cove and the crossing over Mission Bay Drive near In and Out has been abandoned, more or less. The northern end of that segment is full of trash and homeless people--probably the trashiest homeless camp I've seen in San Diego, except maybe for parts of East Village. At least it was a couple of weeks ago when I last rode through there--might have been a beach/creek cleanup day in the interim. And as you say, the bumps on the Southern segment are pretty bad.

You know the City of San Diego has a deferred maintenance backlog...I doubt the resurfacing of that path is a priority.

I rode the Rose Creek path early this morning--absolutely disgusting amount of trash. However, this was also the I Love a Clean San Diego coastal cleanup day, so later I went down there--more than 100 people working on Rose Creek, and a good chunk of that on the trashy section near Mission Bay drive. We pulled out at least three shopping carts (couldn't dislodge two others), and all sorts of other junk, as you can imagine. It looks a lot better now. The homeless population was nowhere to be seen this morning--I guess they get the word and take off on these cleanup days. It will be interesting to see what happens to this area when (if) the bike path extension makes it under the I-5 bridge there. Will it still be a homeless camp, or will the "development" drive the population to leave?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2016

Cherokee Shill, advocating for every day cyclists.

https://www.spreaker.com/user/9242901/advocating-for-every-day-cyclists
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2016

Smile, it’s free

https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/2016/09/16/smile-its-free/

Ever since the combat with the cities of Rancho Palos Verdes and Palos Verdes Estates began over the installation of a few signs (more NIMBY agitation over this than over the federal class action lawsuit alleging gang behavior and city complicity, yo), I’ve been testing the theory that local residents dislike cyclists.

What I’ve found is that for they most part, they do not. At worst the don’t care. At best they actually like us. The Lunada Bay Boy on Mom’s Couch and his NIMBY vidiot-recorder who are making such hay with their hatred of cyclists are a tiny slice of nastiness and venom in otherwise pretty nice bunch of folks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2016

If you like Yehuda Moon:

https://www.patreon.com/yehudamoon
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2016

In reading up on HPV efficiencies, I stumbled upon this web site about the 24-hr HPV distance world record holder. Although the site is mostly covering technical details of his "bike" and his attempt, I like his simple and straightforward message:

Greg believes that a vigorous, active lifestyle plays a HUGE role in the general health and psychological well being of every individual. We live in an automobile dominated, convenience food world and, unfortunately, physical activity is the first thing neglected. As a society, our reliance on burning fossil fuels to drive the kids down the street is disturbing. Aside from the obvious ecological costs of our passivity, the lack of physical activity is costing us BILLIONS in increased health care obligations every year, warns Greg. His hope is to inspire others to get up, get out and get moving.

It is his goal to direct attention to these pressing issues by combining an extreme physical challenge with innovative, cutting-edge green technology. "I would really just love to remind everyone about that bike in the garage. Dust it off and get out there and ride it - You'll be amazed at how great you'll feel".

Bill Walton stands with the new bronze statue of himself during its unveiling event at Mission Bay's Ski Beach.
    Charlie Neuman / San Diego Union-Tribune

Miller to airport group: Wake up, take Walton statue

By Bryce Miller September 21, 2016 sandiegouniontribune.com
    Most who survey the statue dedicated to local icon Bill Walton see bliss and a bike, a local icon with arms stretched wide as if to embrace the San Diego he loves.

The 1,200-pound, bronze tribute immortalizes the man involved in 52 local charities and counting, a person who pours immeasurable time and money into helping thousands rather than resting on the comforts an incredible basketball career provided.

Organizers offered the $200,000 piece of art as a permanent gift to the San Diego International Airport, a pitch-perfect location to greet residents and visitors. The Airport Authority’s Art Advisory Committee – and try to wrap your mind around this one – said thanks, but no thanks.

Why would you want something honoring one of the most giving, selfless San Diegans in history positioned so the more than 20 million annual passengers could see and celebrate it? Why would you want to showcase life-affirming lessons from a person who refused to wallow in the potential shallowness of a sports past, choosing instead to use the resources and platforms a game provided to tirelessly aid the city you serve?

When the statue was unveiled in May, Mayor Kevin Faulconer told me Walton transcended sports: “Bill is part of the fabric of San Diego. He’s a living legend here with all he’s done.”
    edit....
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2016

Anyone else here have an amateur radio call sign? Mine is KM6GCB.
    • CommentAuthorerik
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2016

sd_mike:Anyone else here have an amateur radio call sign? Mine is KM6GCB.

KC2MKN here. Not on very often; years of moving around cities and apartments has left me with little capacity for anything but handheld. I have been thinking about a setup in my truck recently as a larger station not tied to my ephemeral home.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

I may try to work something out with my bicycle and/or motorcycle. We'll see... for now I seem to have ended up carrying my HT everywhere I go. So, you got your license in NY or NJ then? Cool! I still don't have a base station, but I'm content with my HT and eventual nicer antenna for my apartment.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

And as a separate announcement... no date set as yet - but I shall be getting married in the next month. I'll have a date (hopefully) tomorrow when I go to the County Administration Center downtown and see what I need to get an appointment there.
    • CommentAuthorerik
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2016

sd_mike:I may try to work something out with my bicycle and/or motorcycle. We'll see... for now I seem to have ended up carrying my HT everywhere I go. So, you got your license in NY or NJ then? Cool! I still don't have a base station, but I'm content with my HT and eventual nicer antenna for my apartment.
    Yes, I got my license when I was a kid in NY. I have thought about doing some sort of bicycle rig. I think the hardest thing would be power; to make the project work it, I might want to carry a small car battery... Add in a decent radio and antenna stand that I can set up, and I would have a pretty good mobile station, but the weight might be a bit much. Of course, I could just use a good antenna and stand for my HT, maybe a bit of extra battery to keep it running longer.

I have been kind of thinking about finding a very small, mobile (HT?) 6 meter setup. It does not take a lot of TX power to make something of that, so the HT and antenna stand method might make for some fun work. I would be able to ride up to some high points and set up for a couple of hours.
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2016 edited

I'm very interested in amateur radio from a bicycle. Any recommendations on getting started? Especially simulation software for SDR?

Now... my following comments may be considered blaspheme by some so please close your eyes if you would be offended.

If providing battery power for a radio, wouldn't it make sense to go all electric? Like an electric bike? (warned ya, close your eyes)

If that seems logical, then wouldn't an electric trike make even more sense? Like maybe the 2017 Raleigh Tristar IE? (no peaking)

Note that this trike has capacity for 2 batteries and should be stable enough to rig an umbrella for shade. (ok, safe to at least squint now)

I look at a trike as a bike with room for a shack in back. Now if they just made an electric trike with a Nuvinci CVT.

OK... blasphemous statements complete. (Sigurd, you can put me on time out now if you like.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2016

gottobike:OK... blasphemous statements complete. (Sigurd, you can put me on time out now if you like.)
    No way - we like far out, eccentric ideas!
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2016

I shall be getting married on November 30 at the San Diego County Administration Center in the morning. It also looks like I will finally have a job again soon at the DMV.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

sd_mike:I shall be getting married on November 30 at the San Diego County Administration Center in the morning. It also looks like I will finally have a job again soon at the DMV.

Congrats and congrats! We celebrated our 20th anniversary this year. An adventure worth having is all I can say.

As to the job news, I couldn't help but think of the DMV "Flash" in Zootopia:

• CommentAuthorerik

gottobike:I'm very interested in amateur radio from a bicycle. Any recommendations on getting started? Especially simulation software for SDR?

Now... my following comments may be considered blaspheme by some so please close your eyes if you would be offended.

If providing battery power for a radio, wouldn't it make sense to go all electric? Like an electric bike? (warned ya, close your eyes)

If that seems logical, then wouldn't an electric trike make even more sense? Like maybe the 2017 Raleigh Tristar IE? (no peaking)

Note that this trike has capacity for 2 batteries and should be stable enough to rig an umbrella for shade. (ok, safe to at least squint now)

I look at a trike as a bike with room for a shack in back. Now if they just made an electric trike with a Nuvinci CVT.

OK... blasphemous statements complete. (Sigurd, you can put me on time out now if you like.)
    An electric bike would be great, but I would worry a bit about the power reserves. You will drain a lot of power with some radio setups, and you might find yourself hauling back not just the extra weight of a radio, but the weight of a dead electric bike setup. I dunno if you could rig up a battery meter to give you a warning when reserves are low; it might save you some frustrating pedaling. Or maybe you can rig the radio to draw off just one battery, so if it dies you still have the power to push the thing home.

In my hypothetical 6m setup, I was imagining a bit more bikepacking style, on a mountain bike. There are some steep hills and fireroads that I was thinking that setup might be nice for.

Haven't gotten into SDR yet. My investment level in radio over the past several years has been quite low; none of that fancy stuff for me.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

I recently purchased an antenna with a magnetic mount. The intention is for use at home (apartment with little to no ability for a good antenna mount), with some sort of setup, when I get a few bugs worked out, for one of my motorcycles (a 2014 Kawasaki KLR 650). As to the bicycle, for now my intention is simply to carry my HT when I'm not riding in a skinsuit.
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2016

Congratulations KM6GCB sd_mike! And I won't mention anything about your KLR mechanical doping.
    Your 6m setup sounds very interesting KC2MKN erik. My investment level in most things is hypothetical.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, Sigurd. Didn't want to be deemed a heretic.
    Congratulations on the 20, batmick!

I'm more interested in understanding the technology than actually using it. Any tips on getting started with building a base station radio that could be transported via bicycle (or, maybe a trike... electric... CVT)?
    All the best rides for you guys.
    - GTB
    • CommentAuthorerik

gottobike:I'm more interested in understanding the technology than actually using it. Any tips on getting started with building a base station radio that could be transported via bicycle (or, maybe a trike... electric... CVT)?
    All the best rides for you guys.
    - GTB

Well, most mobile setups are not very heavy and can be run lower than their peak output potential. If you want to run 2m or 440, for instance, you could find a small dual band, run it a little lower power, and get a very small car battery or some kind of lithium thing. In your hypothetical of running it off the bike battery, you might be able to eke a lot of operation out of it. A 5W HT with a better external antenna will run a long time on an external battery. Since you would be talking about maybe running it at higher elevations by riding a bike, you can work at lower powers and make the same contacts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

gottobike:
    - GTB
    As long as there is no fossil fuel directly involved in the propulsion, it's all good. And nuclear, I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Sigurd:
    gottobike:
    - GTB
    As long as there is no fossil fuel directly involved in the propulsion, it's all good. And nuclear, I guess.

High time this thing went into mass production:

• CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2016 edited

To quote the Professor: I need fuel.

batmick:
    Sigurd:
    gottobike:
    - GTB

High time this thing went into mass production:

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2016

La Jolla still living up to it's snooty reputation:

La Jolla leaders against DecoBike's plans in the Village

A random survey of La Jollans on their views concerning bike sharing coming to the Jewel offered little support.

“My opinion as a member of La Jolla Parks & Beaches is no to DecoBike,” said Realtor Bob Evans. “I don’t like the space that it takes up, and don’t like the advertising in our parks and beaches area that comes with it. If there is a demand for bike rentals in La Jolla, then I would rather see it filled by local merchants.”

Phyllis Minick of parks and beaches concurred.

“DecoBikes will cause a traffic disaster on already overcrowded La Jolla streets,” she said. “Because auto traffic is so heavy, drivers of cars pulling in and out of parking spaces – or fighting to beat another driver out of an open space – will be additionally distracted by more bike traffic. Families attempting to ride together will be dangerous obstacles, with attention on each other, not on cars.”

Minick also objects to DecoBike's “taking space our community does not want used for yet another commercial purpose. The ads their stands intend to display violate city codes. Finally, our bike rental businesses should not have this competition, which all our community organizations have voted against.”

Dan Allen chair of La Jolla Parks and Beaches Inc., said “Our organization does not support locating bike kiosks in La Jolla parkland or public areas. Our objection is to the City’s bike share station location plan (previously) proposed by contractor DecoBike as presented to us, which includes using grassy areas and adjacent parking spaces along Scripps Park in La Jolla.”

This position taken by LJPB at its April 2014 meeting was 15-1 opposed to DecoBike in La Jolla.

Added Allen, “The recent Grand Jury report says there is opposition to bike-rental kiosks in La Jolla because they are an eyesore and would take up too much valuable public sidewalk, park and parking space.”

Concerning La Jolla DecoBike kiosks having billboard space for general advertising, not just promotional information for bike rentals, Allen noted, “Our organization has a decades-long record opposing commercial uses in Scripps Park. We have resisted Coke machines, beach equipment rental, T-shirt vendors, etc., and the proposed bike-rental kiosks are just as inappropriate in Scripps Park.”

-------------

YEAH, better to have even more auto congestion. Idiots.
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2016

Of course, there are T-shirt vendors and an auto show in Scripps Park already. Beach equipment rental makes no sense near the Cove, since no boards or watercraft are allowed there. But of course, kayak and surf vendors are packed on the beach at LJ Shores. I contend (and nobody has refuted as far as I know) that one possible reason for the colonization of the Cove by sea lions was the constant parade of commercial kayaks heading out to Goldfish Point, where the sea lions used to congregate. The animals got sick of the disturbance, and went and found another place to haul out--the Cove itself. Now, on bad days, the whole village smells like sea lion shit. Swimming at the Cove is basically over, except for a few die-hard folks. Organizers of the annual La Jolla holiday parade won't give in and call it a holiday parade--they insist on keeping the name "Christmas Parade" in spite of opposition. And the merchants won't allow a second, more inclusive parade to be permitted, saying it would disrupt business during the Christmas shopping season. "It's traditional." Yes, so was the overt, institutionalized anti-antisemitism and racism that pervaded La Jolla--it wasn't until the advent of UCSD in the early 1960s that the barrier was broken and the local real estate blockade against selling to Jews was pushed back. This was only a few years after the Christian cross was placed on public land atop Mt. Soledad.

La Jolla has natural beauty, and Mt. Soledad is a great local cycling resource. But for all of the reasons outlined above--the most recent being the overt hostility to the cycling community as summarized by BikingBill--I tend to go out of my way not to patronize the village merchants.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

The outright hostility and viciousness of drivers in the beach areas is reflected in Phyllis Minick's comment that drivers fight to "beat" other drivers out of an open space. This aggressive behavior is the problem, not the presence of non-motorized road users. An extension of this philosophy would be to ban all non-motorized road use. It is obviously not safe to allow pedestrians or cyclists to share streets in close proximity to these dangerous and entitled drivers.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

“Because auto traffic is so heavy, drivers of cars pulling in and out of parking spaces – or fighting to beat another driver out of an open space – will be additionally distracted by more bike traffic. Families attempting to ride together will be dangerous obstacles, with attention on each other, not on cars.”

That sort of attitude is beyond disgusting. It is the "you be careful out there" sort of "warning" that is generally given by those that cause the danger to help separate themselves from the responsibility of their own actions. Same thing happens with schools - "it is too dangerous for Billy to walk/bicycle/anything but ride in a car because of all those dangerous cars", ignoring the fact they are one of those dangerous drivers. Seems to me that LESS people competing for parking would be a good thing, no? Cars take up the bulk of the space as it is, yet no complaints about how much space parking takes up.
    • CommentAuthorfjl307

"“My opinion as a member of La Jolla Parks & Beaches is no to DecoBike,” said Realtor Bob Evans. “I don’t like the space that it takes up, and don’t like the advertising in our parks and beaches area that comes with it. If there is a demand for bike rentals in La Jolla, then I would rather see it filled by local merchants.”"

Says the realtor who I'm pretty sure has advertised on MTS bus stops and on city-owned park benches.
    • CommentAuthorfjl307

sd_mike:“Because auto traffic is so heavy, drivers of cars pulling in and out of parking spaces – or fighting to beat another driver out of an open space – will be additionally distracted by more bike traffic. Families attempting to ride together will be dangerous obstacles, with attention on each other, not on cars.”

That sort of attitude is beyond disgusting. It is the "you be careful out there" sort of "warning" that is generally given by those that cause the danger to help separate themselves from the responsibility of their own actions. Same thing happens with schools - "it is too dangerous for Billy to walk/bicycle/anything but ride in a car because of all those dangerous cars", ignoring the fact they are one of those dangerous drivers. Seems to me that LESS people competing for parking would be a good thing, no? Cars take up the bulk of the space as it is, yet no complaints about how much space parking takes up.

That sort of attitude is why driving needs to be restricted even further. The entitlement complex in some motorists is disguising. Driving a motor vehicle is not a right.

fjl307:"“My opinion as a member of La Jolla Parks & Beaches is no to DecoBike,” said Realtor Bob Evans. “I don’t like the space that it takes up, and don’t like the advertising in our parks and beaches area that comes with it. If there is a demand for bike rentals in La Jolla, then I would rather see it filled by local merchants.”"

Says the realtor who I'm pretty sure has advertised on MTS bus stops and on city-owned park benches.

...and probably put out Open House signs in the bike lanes on Saturdays and Sundays.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2016

And on a different note - Today, I got married to my boyfriend of the past three and a half years. Tomorrow, I start my new job with DMV. Things are looking up!
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2016

Zorionak (Basque congratulations), Mike!
    Yes, congratulations and best wishes Mike.
    EDIT...
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2016

Last night was spectacular with earthshine faintly illuminating the dark part of the crescent moon. A telescope would have revealed a similar crescent Venus.

While my hand heals, I've made a routine of walking a mile to the North Park Farmers Market and back on Thursdays, stopping at Fall Brewing Co. each way.
    Edit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSmorg
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2017

Was riding home after bike-o-rama tagging when I passed this scene:
    IMG_1205

I really don't get it. Why do the postmen and the delivery truck drivers like to park in the bike lane so much even when there are places nearby where they could pull into and be out of the way? (So what if they end up blocking a driveway for a few minutes in the middle of the day when the residents are either staying in or had gone to work? Isn't that better than blocking the bike lane on a designated bike route?)
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2017

Smorg:Was riding home after bike-o-rama tagging when I passed this scene:
    IMG_1205

I really don't get it. Why do the postmen and the delivery truck drivers like to park in the bike lane so much even when there are places nearby where they could pull into and be out of the way? (So what if they end up blocking a driveway for a few minutes in the middle of the day when the residents are either staying in or had gone to work? Isn't that better than blocking the bike lane on a designated bike route?)

I have some post it notes from Germany that I leave on vehicles parked blocking bike lanes. They have a bike logo with the words "Macht Platz! Fahhrad kommt!" Even non-German speakers get the idea, especially when I have the opportunity to scold them in person.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2017

Hey all,
    So it looks like we'll be looking to move down to Mid-town around March or April. We're focusing on Golden Hill, Normal Heights, or Kensington, but ANY info or help we could get with housing leads would be VERY appreciated.

As we all know, housing in SD is getting pretty nuts. I am actually pretty shocked to see the difference since I moved away 5 years ago. That said, I'm determined to make it work, and I'm really looking forward to reconnecting with old bike-friends and making lots of new ones.

Thanks in advance for ANY help or hints you can throw our way.

Peace and bicycles,

Ted and Zou
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2017 edited

The is the first time I have XXL gloves that really fit my hands, since my parents managed to bring back a pair of XXL Look Gloves from France in the 1970's. I've always ruined my gloves by splitting the finger holes over time. Got them at Bike Religion in Dana Point.

XXL Bike Gloves
    Edit...
    Sunday, April 23, 2017 will be the 36th running of the La Jolla Half Marathon and Shores 5K

Both races start at 7:30 a.m. with a three-hour time limit for the half marathon. Southbound traffic will be affected on 101 in Solana Beach and Del Mar, along Torrey Pines Road, in La Jolla Shores, Prospect Place, and Coast Boulevard.

http://www.lajollahalfmarathon.com
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2017

"Yes, it's the stars; they always make me laugh!"
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
    From SkyandTelescope.com

Over the course of April 22nd to April 26th, the Moon's crescent is shrinking (waning) as it continues it's orbit around the Earth. (Earth Day is Saturday April 22nd. If you're up early, check out the dawn sky in the east.) As dawn begins to brighten Sunday morning, catch Venus and the waning crescent Moon low in the east. The crescent continues to shrink daily as the Moon gets closer to the Sun, ultimately passing between the Earth and the Sun and rising with the rising Sun. The Sun and the Moon are now said to be "in conjunction". (New Moon phase on Wednesday April 26th 2017 at 5:16 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time)

After New Moon, the waxing moon phase (growing crescent) can now be viewed in the western evening sky as the moon's orbit continues eastward on the new lunar cycle. In two weeks it will be a full moon (at opposition), opposite the Sun and rising when the Sun sets. The moon will pass by Aldebaran and Mars in the west-northwest in the evening twilight over the few days of April 27 to 29th. Aldebaran is the "eye of the bull", a red star in Taurus that contrasts with the red of Mars.

The Sun, Moon and planets move relative to the constant stars (constellations). Over the coming month,the Sun will "move" into the constellation of Taurus. Mars also will move along in Taurus relative to the "constant stars". The Pleiades star cluster is what you see on the Subaru car logo. Subaru is the Japanese name for this star grouping.

I point all this out as a preparation for the August 21st, 2017 Total Solar Eclipse, when the "new moon" passes directly in front of the Sun, casting it's shadow on our globe. (more on that soon…)

Stand against falsehoods, denials, and suppression of research. March For Science on April 22nd, in Washington DC and 500-plus other cities and towns, to “champion publicly funded and publicly communicated science as a pillar of human freedom and prosperity.”

Why Many Will March For Science In San Diego
    April 21, 2017 By David Wagner kpbs.org
    One of the speakers will be Ralph Keeling, a climate scientist at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography. He maintains the Keeling Curve, a record started by his father in the 1950s to plot carbon dioxide concentration in the Earth’s atmosphere over time.
    When I first came to San Diego in '78, I had surf buddies who were grad students working in Dave Keeling's lab at SIO. I've been following the steady trajectory of the curve ever since. Between that and remote optical and radar sensing on planetary missions, especially to Venus, greater understanding of "greenhouse" atmospheric effects came to be realized. I'm a "true believer", having lived the study of and the fruition of understanding concerning atmospheric greenhouse gasses.

Ride your bike!
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2017