Not signed in (Sign In)

Google Homepage ~ May 17, 2017

Antikythera mechanism
    wikipedia.org
    Generally referred to as the first known analogue computer,[26] the quality and complexity of the mechanism's manufacture suggests it has undiscovered predecessors made during the Hellenistic period. Its construction relied upon theories of astronomy and mathematics developed by Greek astronomers, and is estimated to have been created around the late second century BCE. In 1974, Derek de Solla Price concluded from gear settings and inscriptions on the mechanism's faces that it was made about 87 BC and lost only a few years later. Jacques Cousteau and associates visited the wreck in 1976 and recovered coins dated to between 76 and 67 BC.

A schematic representation of the gearing of the Antikythera Mechanism, including the 2012 published interpretation of existing gearing, gearing added to complete known functions, and proposed gearing to accomplish additional functions, namely true sun pointer and pointers for the five then-known planets, as proposed by Freeth and Jones, 2012. Based also upon similar drawing in the Freeth 2006 Supplement and Wright 2005, Epicycles Part 2. Proposed (as opposed to known from the artefact) gearing crosshatched.

This reminds me of bicycle gearing, both internal planetary hubs and external derailleurs and gears. You can see were I might get my celestial mechanical fascination from, in relation to bicycles. Fascinating in deed!
    Edit...
    Edit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2017

WANTED: For the downtube on my Stumpy and in the style likeness of the "StumpJumper" logo below, a "TrumpDumper" decal set.

•  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2017

Shady John:For everyone who has climbed Nate Harrison Grade:

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2017/jun/09/ticker-black-mountain-school-nate-harrison/?google_editors_picks=true

A friend of ours did some archaeological excavations of Nate's home in grad school.
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2017

Why we shouldn't complain about having to fix a flat:

The Tea Pursuit, which aimed to test one’s mettle while holding a cup and saucer on a moving bicycle…
    (Ah, the places you'll go with a bike share!)
    The Chap Olympiad

Splendid group of eccentric Brits, the world’s best dressed, descend on Bedford Square Gardens for Britain’s most eccentric sporting event. A midsummer ceremony, celebrating the weird, wonderful and wacky. A day-long celebration of diversity, set to the backdrop of a traditional summer garden party with a roster of live entertainment including eleven Olympiad games. The Chap Olympiad is designed to reward panache rather than sporting prowess and the games require the minimum amount of physical exertion. Not since the days of Bee versus Pigeon Racing during the Victorian times have so many befuddled anarcho-dandies and gin-addled punks been gathered together under one parasol.

The Chap Olympiad — A Very British Day Out

(Seems quite the "tweedy" event!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2017

Riding the Burke-Gilman trail today ...

Burke-Gilman trail
    Edit...
    Edit....
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2017

I often travel by a combo of train+bike. Today Oceanside to UCLA. Two train trips, two bike rides to get there.

Wish there was a navigation app that supported that sort of thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2017 edited

Shady John:Google Maps? Choose the "transit" option:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Oceanside+Transit+Center,+South+Tremont+Street,+Oceanside,+CA/University+of+California,+Los+Angeles,+Los+Angeles,+CA+90095/@33.6452239,-118.4758115,9z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m18!4m17!1m5!1m1!1s0x80dc6e3a306243af:0x39d056e74bd8bf5!2m2!1d-117.3792197!2d33.1929342!1m5!1m1!1s0x80c2bc85f05c0f65:0x25a993585c134837!2m2!1d-118.4451811!2d34.068921!2m3!6e0!7e2!8j1507539600!3e3

It doesn't support mixed mode.

By mixed mode I mean this:

Oceanside to UCLA.

Amtrak->2 mile bike ride to the Metro Exposition Line->Metro to Westwood->3 mile bike ride to UCLA.

It won't plan that route. You have to do it manually.

Oh, FYI ... track incident on the LA->Orange County line. The train home was delayed by over 5 hours. I got home at 3:30AM.
    Edit...
    Edit...
    VC celebrates return of historic “Stars” road sign
    Robert Lerner, VC Historian November 13, 2017 valleycenter.com
    Seventy years ago this month, in November 1947, crowds braved cold and rain as they stood in awe as a 40-ton tractor crawled through the streets of Valley Center hauling a 200-inch telescope mirror toward a new observatory atop Palomar Mountain.

To mark the occasion, the street known today as Valley Center Road (originally Rincon Road) was renamed “Highway to the Stars via Valley Center” and signs with that name were posted from the Escondido city limit to the top of Palomar Mountain.
    ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ====

Valley Center looks to regain its star quality
    Logan Jenkins January 21, 2017 sandiegouniontribune.com
    In 1928, George Ellery Hale, the founder of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, secured funding for his visionary project from the Rockefeller Foundation: A 200-inch telescope that would dwarf any other in the world, an endeavor that many science historians refer to as the “moon shot” of the ‘30s and ‘40s.

The problem of getting the $600,000 mirror from Caltech to its home atop Palomar was solved in the mid-1930s with the construction of a winding mountain road eventually dubbed the “Highway to the Stars.”
    “Safely completing a ticklish 160-mile trip by trailer from Pasadena, Palomar Observatory’s 200-inch mirror arrived here late this morning — inching over the last miles of twisting mountain road in heavy mist, bursts of hail and flurries of sleet.

“Tonight, man’s most ambitious astronomical undertaking — to peer a billion light-years into space from this mile-high mountain 64 miles northeast of San Diego — is only a step from fulfillment.”
    VCHistory.org
    MAP Image
    MAP Google

Smorg Cycle
    Edit...

22 December 2017: Friday evening ~ 5:30 PM
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2017 edited

Fellow rider made an astute observation on a possible reason why I don't get harassed by drivers:

I posted this pic of my bike on the Coronado Ferry on Facebook (did a 27+ mile loop):

(The recumbent with the big yellow cargo box)

And a he made this cogent observation:

Your Bacchetta Giro 26 towers over those road bikes and makes them look like kid's bikes. I can tell you if I were a driver with a could care less attitude towards bicycles, I'd still instinctively give your bike a much wider berth as that tail box looks big and heavy like something that could scrape up the side of the car if passing too close.

Maybe so.

That box, by the way, is folded from a single piece of corrugated plastic, is supported by tension alone (there's no frame), is extraordinarily light, attaches and detaches in seconds, and the sole structural element is a thin piece of plywood at the front.

Twenty years of refinement in that design.
    BAD TIDINGS: La Jolla flooding circa 2070
    Corey Levitan December 12, 2017 lajollalight.com

San Diego, CA
    King Tides Monday, January 1st, 2018:
    High Tide 7:52am 7.5'
    Low Tide 2:58pm -1.9' (Good afternoon low tide beach riding!)

King Tides Tuesday, January 2nd, 2018:
    High Tide 8:38am 7.5'
    Low Tide 3:44pm - 2.0' (Good afternoon beach riding!)

King Tides in December 2015. Early morning in Mission Bay near the Catamaran Hotel.

Edit...
    SkyandTelescope.com
    Saturday, February 3, 2018
    After it’s good and dark, look due east, not very high, for twinkly Regulus. Extending upper left from it is the Sickle of Leo, a backward question mark. "Leo announces spring," goes an old saying. Actually, Leo showing up in the evening announces the cold, messy back half of winter. Come spring, Leo will already be high up in the east.
    Edit...
    Edit...
    Edit...
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2018 edited

Thanks for the great stellar post, OKB.

How the ancients ever looked up at Sagittarius and saw an archer I will never comprehend.

When I look up at Sagittarius, all I see is the frame outline of a Pedersen Bicycle:
    Pedersen Bicycle
    Nice one GTB! Celestial Cycles of all sorts roll across the heavens. Ride on from day to day, month to month, season to season, year to year. Let the sun, moon, tides, planets and stars mark your passage through time. The journey is the destination. Keep looking up and enjoy the ride.
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2018 edited

https://bikeportland.org/2018/02/21/corporate-ties-to-assault-rifles-and-the-nra-have-some-thinking-boycott-of-giro-bell-camelbak-and-blackburn-268969

Note: Most helmet manufacturers no longer bother to go through certification by Snell. Specialized is the one major exception that I know of. So if you choose not to buy a Giro/Bell helmet, you can switch over to Specialized and perhaps have more peace of mind about protecting your head.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2018 edited

Shady John: So if you choose not to buy a Giro/Bell helmet, you can switch over to Specialized...

I won't be buying another Blackburn, Camelbak, Giro or Bell product in my lifetime.

Another option for helmets is POC.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2018

I've had my Bern helmet for over a decade and still love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2018

The Specialized Max is the only helmet that fits my >62cm noggin.
    Edit...
    Edit...
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2018

Thanks for these OKB. I love looking up at the stars although I'm not nearly as knowledgeable. If you have Netflix, check out the documentary, Further about the Voyager missions. It's REALLY good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2018

Changing the chain on the Bacchetta Recumbent today. Three Chains Long.

The good news, they last for 5000 miles (less 'pivots' per mile).

The bad news? It's a pain.
    May the gods of cassette and chainring wear smile on you after the chain replacement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2018

Shady John:May the gods of cassette and chainring wear smile on you after the chain replacement.

Live by the Park Chain Tool. Never let your chains get too worn.

However, I can say that the SRAM X-4 rear derailleur has the worst idlers I have ever seen (in terms of friction) in 30 years.

Bike to School Day.
    Ride well and be safe out there!

Aldebaran is the "eye of the bull", Taurus.

Pollux and Castor are the twins of Gemini

Thursday, May 17 (Bike to Work Day)
    Look for the thin waxing Moon left of Venus in twilight, as shown at lower right. They're about 6° apart at the times of twilight in the Americas. Venus (magnitude –3.9) shines brightly in the west-northwest during evening twilight and just after. It's as high now as it will get in twilight all spring and summer for mid-northern skywatchers.

Venus has remained at about the same altitude above the horizon as it catches up to Earth in it's orbit. The waxing crescent Moon, just after New Moon phase, has appeared at it's relatively similar phase in these past months when in conjunction with Venus. Notice however that the background stars set lower each day, week and month behind them.

The zodiac constellations are consumed by the Sun as it too "appears" to move eastward. (Really the Earth is moving around the Sun, making the Sun appear to move in the opposite direction against the background of the constant stars.) Notice Taurus "the Bull" setting into the Sun behind Venus and the crescent Moon. The Sun will soon be "in Taurus" for about a month. Each day, the Sun moves one degree toward the east, so after one month (30 days), Taurus reemerges in the morning sky, rising in the east just before sunrise. Like a phoenix rising from the flames, Taurus is reborn in a Helical rising. The Sun will have appeared to move eastward and will be "in Gemini" for the next month.

Once a month, the Moon reappears in the evening sky as a crescent. Each successive month will have one of the twelve zodiacal constellations behind it.

Tick-tock, tick-tock.
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2018

It’s good to visit San Diego now… we got BIKE SHARE!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2018

• CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2018

Sigurd:I wonder if they would still honk at you?

It amazes me to see the lengths that people will go to to avoid walking or riding an actual bike. :D
    • CommentAuthorgottobike
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2018

Dockless, motorized scooters on the Pacific Beach boardwalk have sparked controversy. Photo by Chris Stone

Opinion: Dockless Scooters, Robocalls, Bachelorette Parties and General Angst
    Harvey Radin May 27, 2018 timesofsandiego.com
    It’s “a feeling of anxiety and unhappiness,” the word — angst — in the Oxford Dictionary. I’m feeling angst reading current events. And then my telephone rings. A recorded voice says I have a security problem with my smartphone cloud. That’s awfully strange since I don’t have a smartphone.

After the telephone call, I’m back to breaking news. Dockless bikes are “being strewn about” in Charlotte, according to a North Carolina paper. Charlotte is among a number of cities nationwide where people are renting dockless bikes and scooters and leaving them wherever they please when they’re done riding.

Pedestrians strolling along sidewalks in other cities— San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC, San Francisco and Seattle, to name a few — are teed off when motorized scooters go whizzing by. They’re irritated when they have to dodge around scooters and bikes left along sidewalks, and when they have to move them out of the way to get inside buildings. In the news, there are pictures of a scooter someone tossed into the branches of a tree and of someone at a train station throwing a scooter from the platform onto the track.
    This guy needs to get out more often for a bike ride, get some exercise, fresh air, sun and to clear his head. Biking is a great stress reducer! :)

The winning goal is a 'bicycle kick' by Gareth Bale For Real Madrid. Wow!
    edit..
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2018

Old Knotty Buoy:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYU75uuU18U
    @6:37 the winning goal is a 'bicycle kick' by Gareth Bale For Real Madrid. Wow!

Man, why would anyone want to be a goalkeeper?

Saturday, June 2
    The waning gibbous Moon rises around midnight or 1 a.m. tonight, depending on your location, with fiery Mars only 3° beneath it (for North America).
    By the beginning of dawn Sunday morning, they're fairly high together in the south.

Mars (magnitude –1.3, in Capricornus) rises around midnight daylight-saving time. Watch for it about 30° lower left of Saturn. By early dawn Mars glares orange in the south. It's brightening rapidly now, on its way to an unusually close opposition at the end of July. Mars is 15 or 16 arcseconds wide — already bigger than at its farthest oppositions!

Saturn (magnitude +0.2, just above the Sagittarius Teapot) rises in the southeast in late twilight. It stands highest in the south around 2 or 3 a.m., about 30° to the right of much brighter Mars.
    == == == == == ==

Venus starts June below Pollux and Castor in late twilight . . .

. . .but by June 8th, the background stars have slid to the lower right while Venus stays in place.
    Castor and Pollux will line up with Venus on June 10th and 11th.

Venus (magnitude –4.0, in Gemini) shines brightly in the west-northwest during twilight and just after. This is as high as it's going to get in evening twilight for mid-northern skywatchers this year.

Jupiter (magnitude –2.5, in Libra) shines well up in the south-southeast as twilight fades. It's highest in the south, presenting the sharpest views in a telescope, by 11 or midnight daylight-saving time. It's still a generous 44 arcseconds in equatorial diameter.