Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2016

Freeway ramps can be scary. Using the full lane can help you avoid the dangerous crossing conflict. It works at low speeds but it's easier at higher speeds. In this video, I'm doing about 25-30mph going south on Genesee into the canyon which contains SR-52 when I move out of the bike lane and into the travel lane. By the time I'm passing the first ramp I'm over 35mph and over 40mph by the second and I hit 44mph just a bit after. The merges are easy and safe and I've got room to avoid people coming off SR-52.

•  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2016

Hey Bill, this is an honest question, not a troll - is there something in the League training that tells you guys to post as much as possible online like you and Serge regardless of the forum and the response from the other users? I am on another forum where someone who had taken the training just did the same thing and was shut down hard. I've seen it on every cycling forum I have read. Is it part of the Forester doctrine or just a personality quirk of some adherents? I'm honestly wondering because if it is a tactic, I find it questionable. People, especially older adults, generally don't respond favorably to unsolicited advice. Even Nelson Vails.
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2016

nice video billd. What are you using for the filming? I assume helmet top mounted GoPro hero 3+ or something of that sorts? How did you add the time/date stamp to the video overlay? the GoPro software?

Good lane positioning. I've ridden this exact stretch of road and while the bike lane is nice, having the roulette of those off-ramp drivers is never fun with downhill speed / hand-brakes if needed. taking the lane on the downhill seems the best thing / most obvious solution for rider safety and self preservation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2016 edited

I'm using a ReplayXD 1080. It's old. The date/time stamp is an option set in the camera. The camera puts it into the video stream so it's not removable.

T:Good lane positioning. I've ridden this exact stretch of road and while the bike lane is nice, having the roulette of those off-ramp drivers is never fun with downhill speed / hand-brakes if needed. taking the lane on the downhill seems the best thing / most obvious solution for rider safety and self preservation.
    Yeah. I remember being very afraid of cars at those ramps when I stayed in the bike lane. I had some close calls with both of them in the bike lane. Out in the lane it's not even remotely a problem.

It's much more comfortable when you can go fast like I was down the hill. It's not quite so nice uphill. If you stay in the bike lane on the uphill, at least you can just stop if someone's coming off the ramp fast. If you're in the travel lane, someone will get mad when you're going that slow uphill. I almost never get any negative reaction on the downhill side.

High speed transitions on surface roads are an abomination, but some are easier to manage safely than others. This downhill one is one of the easy ones because it's not too difficult to get close to the car speeds..
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2016 edited

Paul:<Super troll.>
    Please stop trying to pick fights with me. It doesn't do anyone any good.

I'm trying to show people how to be safe. I get positive responses from some people. Some people have open minds. Some people have closed minds. You clearly have a closed mind on the subject and have active hostility towards people who disagree with you so there's no point in me trying to interact with you.

Your most recent responses to my posts are attempts to pick fights and make me shut up because you don't agree with me. It's basically just harassment and bullying and trolling. You have the option to ignore me. Please do so.

I'm more of a Cycling Savvy advocate BTW. Bicycle driving has progressed since Forester.
    • CommentAuthorJSnook
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2016

I do a similar thing to Bill and take the lane on Gilman at I-5 heading down to the bike trail. I actually move all the way over to the left lane during rush hour on the commute home since the right lane backs up quite a ways with traffic. Gilman is another mostly downhill stretch where you can get some speed up so it's easier to merge over.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2016

LOL. How frail. You badger people endlessly online when they disagree with you but when I ask a legitimate question it's "bullying." You answered regarding your tactics when I teased you above but when I asked about the apparent strategy behind the ideology you're being persecuted.

Many of actually agree with and use many of your tactics but when the strategy of getting the ideology out is deployed, we're turned off. People skills are important in teaching. I suspect that these classes tell you you're learning something really heady that will make you a pariah and you thus gain this huge chip on your shoulder. Lighten up. People will listen if you're likeable. At least Serge can give as well as he takes and laugh a little.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2016

Laugh a little? You pick fights, repeatedly. I have no interest in fighting. I want to get the right answer. You want only to make sure that people with a lot of experience are respected, regardless of whether they get the right answer.

People die. People get injured. This is the difference between life and death. This is the difference between being able bodied and being crippled for the rest of your life. Yeah, you ride 10,000 miles a year. I haven't done that since I was in my 20's. I'm in my 50's now. I didn't study bike safety until 2008. I had thousands of close passes, hundreds of close calls with pullouts, dozens of close calls with right hooks, dozens of close calls with doors, dozens of close calls with left crosses, three collisions with pullouts and one collision with a left cross. You don't care one little bit about safety. You only want to have your ignorant opinion respected, because you're just that narcissistic. I have never had a right hook or left cross or dooring or pullout close call while using the full lane. Close passes are rare for me when using the full lane and they happened practically every time I rode when I was an edge rider.

You're dishonest, delusional and just plain horrible as a person. I genuinely want to help people be safer. I've made the effort to learn from people who knew more than me. You just assume that your experience makes you an expert. It doesn't. It really doesn't. You don't have experience riding the way that I do now which means that you have absolutely no clue how riding defensively actually works in the real world.

I'm happy to debate if you're willing to respect opinions other than your own. You're clearly not capable of that though. You only want your way. You're closed minded. Anyone who disagrees with you has to be silenced. I'm not the only one who rides like this or promotes it; not by a long shot. I wasn't the first, second or even the third person who commented on Nelson Vails in the door zone. You've clearly got an obsession with me over this. You're attacking me on this forum for things I say in other places. That's incredibly messed up.

I don't badger people. You badger people. You didn't ask a legitimate question. You're just trying to silence anyone who suggests that cyclists can take control of their own safety through defensive bicycle driving techniques. You want to pretend that cyclists are at the mercy of bad drivers and can't do anything about it. You embrace ignorance. Your refuse to accept that maybe you don't know everything. I can't even post a video about safety on a safety thread without you throwing a childish hissyfit troll post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

I don't think any of us are "edge riders." We understand a lot of what you preach and don't advocate riding in the door zone. I don't want to debate your tactics-- they're fine. I was interested in the indoctrination you've received which seems to result in so many of you being annoying online. If you can't see that happening, you're willfully blind.

My question wasn't in response to your video. it was philosophical based on observations. Post all of those you want.

Thanks for your critique of my personality. Good luck with yours. I'd rather hang out with Serge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

An observation.

First some background. I've been an executive at software companies since the late 1980's. CMO at a enterprise software company now. Mainly video game companies in the past. Lots and lots of personality issues and drama.

I am a take the lane rider. I now spend 1/3 of my time in an area with almost no bike facilities, Owings Mill, MD. Taking the lane there is mandatory. Lanes are narrow. Speeds are high. I'm taking the lane and no one is honking at me or making close passes. So I know this works.

Now that we got out of the way the problem we have here is somewhat historical. "Bicycle Driving" was originally promoted by a brilliant but abrasive man, John Forester. So there's an expectation that people who promote "bicycle driving" are of that mode, and frankly that's a stereotype and unfair.

Then there's the facility 'thing'. This is where my marketing light goes on. To be blindly against all facilities feeds the Forester-meme. On the other hand, we are obligated to point out the hazards of improper design. My opinion is that the rule should be "first, do no harm."

I've cycled in Amsterdam. It's really good, it's a system that enables a large number of people in that city to get around by bicycle efficiently. So when "bicycle drivers" attempt to dismiss that, I view that is counter-productive. On the other hand you can't just lift pieces of that "bicycle transport system" and expect it to work well. There needs to be real thinking about the total design. "Facility Fans" need to take legitimate design objections as valuable feedback and not assume all "bicycle drivers" are the incarnation of Forester.

Do I appreciate that Carlsbad 'fixed' the bike lanes on La Costa Ave, to make them meet the width design standards? You bet I do. That road has traffic running at 50-60 mph and the prior lanes were a joke. Do I take the lane on a descent on Alga, even with the wide bike lanes ... yes I do. I don't fit either stereotype. I appreciate well designed facilities. I know bicycle driving works.

So we all need to realize that people are individuals and not assign stereotypes to "bicycle drivers" or "facility fans."
    • CommentAuthorbossvoss
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2016 edited

Paul:... is there something in the League training that tells you guys to post as much as possible online

The answer is No. I took the same LCI class as billd. The class actually spends much more time on how to teach and relate to students and less on the actual skills (it is assumed that you already know that before coming to the class).

I think billd's and Serge's propensity to post vigorously with a tin ear for their audience is just a part of who they are and not related to cycling. A few years ago I was reading an online forum after a young man was lost in the mud caves at Arroyo Tapiado (a case I was very interested in since I like exploring that area). It took weeks to find his body. Before he was found, Serge was asked by the family members to stop posting his wild conjecture on the forum, because it was upsetting the family. He was as relentless there as he used to be here, theorizing how dead cyclists should have ridden to prevent the cars from hitting them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

Paul:(more abusive venom)
    You attack me over basically anything. The crap you gave me about the term "control and release" was ridiculous. You call me abrasive for talking about safety and you insult and belittle and condescend to me. You are far more abrasive than I have ever been.

All I did was post a video and you start giving me crap about it. It's ridiculous. I'm done responding to you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

Thanks for the explainers BikingBill and Dave. I thought the tantric implications of "control and release" were hilarious, BillD. You must be a blast at parties.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2016 edited

bikingbill:Then there's the facility 'thing'. This is where my marketing light goes on. To be blindly against all facilities feeds the Forester-meme. On the other hand, we are obligated to point out the hazards of improper design. My opinion is that the rule should be "first, do no harm."
    I could not agree with this more. In the infrastructure thread when talking about the Santa Fe path I talked about ways to make it better. I didn't once suggest that we shouldn't have it at all.
    I appreciate well designed facilities. I know bicycle driving works.
    Me too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

bossvoss:A few years ago I was reading an online forum after a young man was lost in the mud caves at Arroyo Tapiado (a case I was very interested in since I like exploring that area). It took weeks to find his body. Before he was found, Serge was asked by the family members to stop posting his wild conjecture on the forum, because it was upsetting the family. He was as relentless there as he used to be here, theorizing how dead cyclists should have ridden to prevent the cars from hitting them.
    I fail to see how posting a video about managing risk at freeway ramps in a thread about how to ride safely is in any way similar to that...or responding to someone, agreeing with them that Santa Fe is not all that bad even without a path is in any way similar to that.

I can't post anything about bicycle driving here anymore without Paul attacking me. He even attacks me here for things I post elsewhere.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

Reminds me of the Progressive Labor vs. Revolutionary Youth Movement factionalism that split Students For a Democratic Society at the National Convention in 1968. Neither side could agree and they attacked each other relentlessly over trivial distinctions. The end result was the primacy of Weatherman, the militant faction that got three of their members killed before ultimately renouncing the "militant error."

Chalk it up to human nature and try not to take it personally. Let it roll off like water off the back of a duck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

We should be directing our venom at drivers who think we don't have a right to use their roads. Not at fellow cyclists.

OK, maybe at red-light runners :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Seeing as this discussion is unlikely to turn in a more productive direction any time soon, maybe we should all go out and just ride our bikes.

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld

bikingbill:We should be directing our venom at drivers who think we don't have a right to use their roads. Not at fellow cyclists.

..and salmons :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2016

billd:
    bikingbill:We should be directing our venom at drivers who think we don't have a right to use their roads. Not at fellow cyclists.

..and salmons :)

I don't know, these fellows seem to have mastered lane control:

• CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2016

Had salmon for breakfast this morning!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2016 edited

Cycling Savvy still isn't offered in San Diego but it is periodically offered in L.A., O.C. and Riverside counties. It normally costs money but if you're willing to travel to get it, you can get it free in Riverside this month.

Gary Cziko:Tom Bunn and I are offering a free CyclingSavvy course (all three parts) in
    Riverside on May 20, 21 and 22 that is being sponsored by Caltrans and the
    Western Riverside Council of Governments . Taking all three parts involves
    the classroom part on Friday evening followed by the two on-bike parts
    either Saturday morning and afternoon OR Sunday morning and afternoon. The
    three-part course would normally cost $90.

Please consider participating in the course if you are in or near Riverside
    County. And please forward this message to any cyclists you may know in the
    area.

You can register at http://www.rcccommunityed.com (click on "All Courses" on the
    left, then find "Bicycle Training"; or directly here).

Whether or not you are interested or able to take the Riverside
    CyclingSavvy courses, I want you to know that CyclingSavvy will soon be
    available in an online, on-demand version. You can find out more about the
    online course and pre-register at a discount at CyclingSavvy.org. Here
    are some direct links to three of the preview lessons:

Finally, the American Bicycling Education Association (ABEA) is holding an
    I Am Traffic 2 conference in St. Louis in October to promote bicycling
    education efforts. You can find more information about the conference at
    https://abea.bike/programs/iat2.

I hope you are all doing well with your various bike-related activities and
    I hope to be able to see you at one of these events.

-- Gary

How to ride a bike in City Heights
    With lights and the flow of traffic, for starters
    By Marty Graham, May 17, 2016 San Diego Reader
    About a dozen City Heights kids and parents took a class in safe bicycling on Saturday (May 14) that included a ride through the streets. They were extra-safe on this ride, with the president of the California Association of Bicycling Organizations at the front and three San Diego police officers from the Mid-City bike team in the rear.

"It's really valuable for us," said one mom, who brought her pre-teen kids. "I want to start riding with my kids but I don't feel confident about safety — and I worry about them."
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2016

“Bicycles May Use Full Lane” Signage Communicates U.S. Roadway Rules and Increases Perception of Safety

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0136973
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2016

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2016

Bike Infrastructure and Education Working in Tandem

http://www.la-bike.org/bike_infrastructure_and_education

I don't agree with all of it but I do agree with a lot of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016

Big Orange Bicycle Club in Orange County is making Cycling Savvy available free to its members and is planning to eventually make it mandatory for all members:

The existential crisis of bicycle clubs