Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorCorona
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2010

Hi All,

I'm curious if anyone here has any experience using trainers and if you do, can you recommend any?

I'm thinking of getting a fluid trainer that has some resistance levels and hopefully some of you folks have some insight.

Thanks!

KC
    i had the blackburn trak stand mag trainer about 6 years ago. used my mtn bike on it. the mtn bike had a blown out shock so i couldn't ride it around, i put a city tire on the back wheel and rode on the trainer a couple times a week. couple times a week turned into a couple times a month... sold the trainer and the bike after about a year of using it. it worked great, i don't really know much about trainers, but i am interested in what other people can add to this thread. i'm looking to buy another trainer in the next month or so. this is the one i had
    I'v got rollers and a mag-trainer... Still not good on the rollers, but I like the trainer. My mag trainer is pretty loud, I hear that fluid trainers are quieter and better?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2010

any descent brand trainer is fine so long as it's has magnetic resistance or fluid resistance. wind resistance one's are horribly loud. like louder than you can imagine. i find trainers to be helpful for interval training but other than that i would just rather ride outside. in cold climates a lot of people use them to warm their body up to a full sweat before heading into the frigid outdoors.
    •  
      CommentAuthoril Pirati
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010

I love rollers. Used to use them all winter out East. Don't get drunk and try them though, or you'll go right through your TV.
    • CommentAuthorevster
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010

I bought a trainer just a few weeks ago to help with my training for a century ride. Unfortunately the century ride has been put on hold due to a busy schedule this coming month but the trainer itself is pretty cool.

I bought a low-end fluid resistance trainer for around $150. It does make some noise, but not a terrible amount and I can still watch TV when I ride it if I crank up the volume just a bit.

Personally I hate the idea of riding indoors in a stationary position, but with the short days in the winter I felt it was my only option to stay in shape. For a while I left it set up in the living room and it was really quick and easy to jump on there for 30-60 minutes at a time. Then my wife kind of gave me an ultimatum and now the trainer lives in the garage. :face-smile:

Like velo cult said above, I think the most awesome thing about the trainer is that you can use it to warm up before a ride. I take a long time to heat up and when I go out there cold and try to mash it up my legs wind up cramping. I found that working up a sweat on the trainer before I roll out really helps. (I know it's only San Diego but for us natives it's been a little chilly for riding lately).
    I may be wrong, but the trainers help with endurance and strength while rollers help more with riding technique. My shop recommended rollers as I have a tendency to mash on the pedals making me drift from side to side when sitting/standing up. I've ridden on a trainer at a friends and I found it beneficial that you can control resistance, although I've seen some rollers with that capability too (Kreitler).

At the velodrome, I've seen riders out on rollers in the center field but never on trainers.

I like rollers. If you do get rollers get some cheap or used ones first, if you like em; get a nice one. I guess the same goes with trainers...
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2010 edited

rollers help you work on a smooth pedaling cadence. something very important to competitive cycling and an absolute necessity for track racers. you can get warmed up on them before a race but they won't do much of anything for performance.

trainers are best for interval training. full 110% hardcore interval training requires them. interval training at that level on a bike would likely mean you're going to crash or passout. i've nearly passed out several times on trainers but at least i wasn't traveling at 40mph. with a trainer you can use a stop watch to do them correctly too. just makes life easier. some people get on them for endurance or whatnot but that's nearly impossible to do. as most people with frigid winters will tell you, you can ride them all winter long but you'll still be slow when spring hits. it's just a matter of minimizing the loss of fitness. you can never ride nearly as hard on a trainer as you do in real life on a bike. if you're not racing and it's not 30 degrees below you might as well ride outside if you can. one thing to do is to get night lights and find a good quite city block in a quite neighborhood and just do laps around the block. find a city block with a hill for more of a workout. that will be far better than being on a trainer. plus you'll be outside with the cool temps to keep you from being a sweaty mess like you would on a trainer....
    agree, i can ride all day on a trainer. it's a good work out if you are trying to lose weight, but much better to just go out and ride your bike.

i'd like to get a trainer again so i don't have to leave my house to ride my bike. i have a 2 year old daughter so getting out and riding everyday isn't easy.
    much easier to throw the trainer in the living room and ride while watching the news or breaking away, quicksilver, american flyers...
    • CommentAuthorCorona
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010

I did end up buying a trainer and the one I chose was the Kinetic Road Machine. All of the Trainers seem to have up and down reviews and the Kinetic seemed to be the one with the least amount of bad reviews and most amount of good ones. Anyways, so far its working out well. I picked up a slick tire and that helps quite a bit as the trainers can easily trash a normal tire. Now that the Sun is going down later I imagine i'll slowly start going back outside in the evening again.
    Let me know if anyone wants to sell one on the cheap.
    I am looking to get one . .. and I am a cheap bass terd. . . .:face-smile:
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2015

Resurrecting a 5 year old thread....

I've moved from sunny San Diego to a much less hospitable climate and I'm going to have to go the indoor route at least some this winter (there may be a fatbike in my future). Anyone here have recommendations on trainers? Any gamification that could be incorporated to keep me on the thing would be good too.
    If El Nino delivers this winter, the Northeast will have a low-snow winter (assuming that's where you're headed). But I always found it better to run outdoors in bad weather than to ride a trainer indoors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2015

Strongly disagree, John. I've done Arne Baker's High Intensity Trainer (HIT) program the last two winters and have benefited greatly. It's a good time to raise your threshold with efforts that would be time consuming or dangerous on the road. The work you do for two hours, twice a week is very efficient.

Futch, if you want to gamify, look into Zwift. It's fun but works better if you train with power.
    Paul, I don't disagree with the training benefit of indoor workouts. I just go hamster crazy if I spin too much without getting anywhere. When I have to work out in a gym, it's 10 minutes on the bike, 5 minutes on the elliptical, 10 minutes on the treadmill, 5 min on the stair stepper...and that's all I can take. I also sweat a lot, so I leave puddles wherever I go, kind of uncomfortable. When I lived in Jersey I looked forward to snowstorms so I could shovel the driveway instead of training indoors. I would sometimes do spin classes at work, with the Instructor from Hell. She would get off of her bike and walk over and get in your face, yelling at you to work harder. Hell of a workout, but not much fun. That's about when I decided to train for a spring marathon, mostly running outdoors in the winter and doing easy spin bike workouts for recovery (at off hours on my own, when the Instructor couldn't find me). Run into the wind to begin your winter workout, then turn around and run back with a tailwind--much better than working up a sweat with a tailwind on the way out, then facing the bitter chill on the way home. Get out and run at lunchtime. Driving to work in the winter in the dark, working inside all day, and then driving home in the dark...you need some natural light exposure, and running outside at lunch gets you that.