Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010 edited

it's pretty obvious at this point that a lot of us that enjoy commuting by bicycle also enjoy bicycles as recreation too. here's a thread for the mountain bikers to talk about mountain bike stuff.

this morning i did a fun 17.4 mile route in Mission Trails. I linked together lots of great single track with a fair amount of climbing.

here is the route and playback of this mornings ride on Geoladders.com.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010

That Geoladder track is absolutely awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

yeah, i know. im loving it. it does the same for road rides too. if you sign up with Geoladders there's tons of options including watching others do the same route so you can compare your speed to them. i made this route but you can pick from hundreds of other rides out there making it real nice for learning new routes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

you know, looking back at the playback i realize why i was tired at the end of that. there were lots of steep climbs but there were no real descents. nowhere to really get your speed up either. it was just grinding away at the pedals the whole time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

I have a GL account and intend to use it once I get my new GPS set up!
    that's one of the coolest things i've seen.

did you stay east of the powerline road?
    i have never been out there before, but on MTBR they talk about closures west of the powerlines.
    always wanted to go play around out there, but was worried about trail closures.

"you know, looking back at the playback i realize why i was tired at the end of that. there were lots of steep climbs but there were no real descents. nowhere to really get your speed up either. it was just grinding away at the pedals the whole time."

would you say you should have gone the other direction. for an easier ride/more downhill.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010 edited

actually going the other way has a lot of trail that's unridable so the way i went is probably best. i don't mind climbing at all but it's nice to have a solid fast downhill on the other side. this trail has a lot of tight, and tough switchbacks though with are fun. cleared them all.

this ride was in Sycamore Canyon, Oak Canyon and Spring Canyon. some of the trail is off limits but they are pretty tolerant of cyclists.
    cool.
    i don't mind all the climbing either, but it's nice to have a nice downhill to reward your climbing.

i did a fire road loop with my dad when i was 13-15 years old and i swear the loop was all uphill.
    i don't remember coasting for more than a few feet at all on the ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2010

surfer mike:
    i did a fire road loop with my dad when i was 13-15 years old and i swear the loop was all uphill.

Must have been the dreaded Escher Trail. Next time try going counterclockwise:face-smile:

i was just scanning through discussions looking for a spot to post pics of my new mtb, and now this has been posted:)
    sorry for crummy pics

Frame: 2008 Orange Prestige L.E.
    Fork: Rock Shox SID Race 100mm
    Headset: Chris King No Thread-set
    Crank Set:: Shimano SLX/32t Salsa Chainring/Truvativ STYLO Bash Guard
    Bottom Bracke: Shimano XT External Bearing
    Derailleur Front: N-Gear Jump Stop
    Derailleur Rear: Shimano XTR Shadow Carbon
    Freewheel: Shimano SLX 9-Speed 11-34
    Chain: Shimano HG73
    Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy C
    Handlebar: Ritchey Comp riser bar 25mm Rise; 630 Width; 31.8 clamp
    Stem: Ritchey Pro mtn; 6 degree; 31.8 clamp
    Grips: WTB Moto Grip
    Derailleur Shifter: Shimano SLX RapidFire Plus 9-Speed
    Saddle: WTB Speep V Crmo Rails
    Seat Post: Thomson Elite 27.2 x 410mm
    Seat Post Clamp: Only 30.0 clamp I could find today. Salsa on the way
    Hubset: N/A
    Rim: Mavic 2008 Crossride UB Wheelset Black
    Spokes: N/A
    Tires: Kenda Small Block Eight 2.1
    Brakes: Shimano SLX Hydraulic Disc w/ Avid Roundagon Rotor - 160 mm
    Brake Lever: Shimano SLX

i ride lake hodges mostly, daily ranch here n there, and black mountian now and then:face-smile:
    if you ever want a riding partner, hit me up for sure! im always down for night, day, or morning rides when im free.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Sweet rig Brian!

Wish I had more time for mountain biking. I live so close to Elfin Forest and go there occasionally with my girls. Every time I see the mountain bikers I get twitches in my legs and that far away look...
    The trails around Lake Hodges look fun too. The only time I see them is when I ride Del Dios on my road bike, though.
    • CommentAuthorTom@VC

Brian needs a thread just for all his cool bikes! Do you ever get to take a paycheck home or do you owe the shop at the end of the week? LOL:face-smile:
    haha i usually wait till after pay day. i dont like running a tab. im constantly buying used parts, selling used parts...
    but recently i knocked 4 mtb's down to 2. rigid ss, and 1x9 hardtail. i rode through everyones front lawn on my way to work on the new hardtail wishing i was on some trails. rode some new stuff at hodges after work tonight and had alot of fun.
    saw tons of bunnys, although one dead. and a cow! one big brown and white cow in the middle of nowhere ith no other cows to be seen. we stopped and shined our lights on it and then it took off. fun night though.
    My buddy Brandon has been MIA for the last year, and just started riding again about 3 weeks ago. So I talked him into doing this really easy ride in the cuyamaca's . . . http://connect.garmin.com/activity/22018431
    Some how I managed to delete the pictures from the first half of the ride, and only have the pics from azalea spring area.

The temps were perfect, sunny with just a slight chill in the air. I will never stop being amazed at the leg strength that riding a road bike brings to the mountain bike realm. I rode all but the 3 b*tches in my middle ring up front, and stayed in the upper half of my rear chainring in the back all day. I was feeling really good. . . . Brandon however was not. . .

Mandatory "First Time at The Tree" Pic

We rested at the spring for a while, while Brandon let me know how much he was hurting, and how I have re-ignited his hatred for me, and then were on our way. While heading up the little climb after the rest area i could smell smoke really stong, I was a little worried. . . . Then out of the corner of my eye I see multiple trees cut down and smoking like crazy, I then remember that there was a sign back at the hollow tree that said something about controlled burn area :shock:
    Looks like they burnt, and cut down a bunch of trees. There were 6 trees still smoldering.

We hit the usually fast and fun downhill back (fern flat to west mesa) to the sweet water staging area, It was hard to get up too much speed today, as every 1/2 mile there were trees knocked down and across the trail. I didn't get any pics because it was getting late and Brandon was really hurting, but that little storm we had a couple weeks ago seems to have wrecked allot of trees.

Various pics

The tree problem extends to the Big Laguna area as well. Lots of downed trees blocking the trail there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010

I've got a SS 29er at home that I haven't ridden in months; either work or life, but mostly my laziness gets in the way.

And I live within riding distance of sweetwater bridge area.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010

anyone doing the Elfin Forest bike race this weekend? if i can break away from work i'll try to do it to gauge just how out of shape i am in.
    Velo Cult:anyone doing the Elfin Forest bike race this weekend? if i can break away from work i'll try to do it to gauge just how out of shape i am in.

i will be there if i dont have to work.
    got new shoes:)
    wife and i went for a easy short ride in mission trails around the grassland loop 2x on tuesday.
    i'm teaching her how to ride a mtn bike and this is her first bike that has gears so the grassland loop is perfect for her.
    right now i'm trying to get her to ride a little faster down the small hills on that loop.
    she's getting faster each time we ride it. wanted to go ride around it a few times this sunday, but i'm not sure about the rain.
    trying to get up to big laguna trail, but every time we've planned to go it's rained. might just have to wait till after winter to go up there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2010

Mt Laguna is the perfect place to turn people into mountain bikers. it's really the only place my wife is willing to mountain bike. we like taking food to make a picnic in the meadow halfway though.

once the spring flowers bloom maybe i'll organize a mountain bike/all rounder ride around the meadow.
    I'd be up for that. I might start at the bottom of the mountain, but I'd go.
    <blockquote><cite> Velo Cult:</cite>Mt Laguna is the perfect place to turn people into mountain bikers. it's really the only place my wife is willing to mountain bike. we like taking food to make a picnic in the meadow halfway though.

once the spring flowers bloom maybe i'll organize a mountain bike/all rounder ride around the meadow.</blockquote>
    yeah we have hiked that area a bunch of times and when i was a kid my dad and i used to ride around the meadow.
    we were going to go up there tuesday, but looks like it's gonna rain.
    we would be down for a group ride up there. if it was planned far enough in advance (couple weeks) to make sure she has the day off.

spring time up there is really great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010

i raced the Elfin Forest race this morning. if you weren't going strait up you were on rocky nasty descents. all in all a very technical and difficult course. glad it's over.
    Velo Cult:i raced the Elfin Forest race this morning. if you weren't going strait up you were on rocky nasty descents. all in all a very technical and difficult course. glad it's over.

what was your time?
    i did two laps in 1hr 30min. but i did get the chance to hook a lady up when her chain jammed up. she told me to keep riding becuase i was racing but i told her id help her becuase i was last:)
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

i was right around there.

2 miles from the finish i destroyed my front derailleur and it took a few minutes to get back together so that i could have at least the middle ring to work with. i put it back to it's original messed up position to take a photo of what it looked like.

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Santa Cruz anyone?

<blockquote><cite> Velo Cult:</cite>2 miles from the finish i destroyed my front derailleur</blockquote>
    i've killed 2 rear derailleur, but never a front.
    crummy cell phone pics but i rode up to bernardo mountain monday around 1 noon.

and there is a huge tree that has fallen blocking the upper trail right before the water crossing. last storm a tree fell about 15 feet from where this one is down, be carefull.

not much mtn biking going on for the next few weeks :face-crying:
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010 edited

surfer mike:not much mtn biking going on for the next few weeks :face-crying:

tell me about it. :face-crying::face-crying::face-crying:

this is a good opportunity to explore the sandy trails of Anzo Borrego. i have overnight MTB trip planned with another forum member in a little over a week. i need to start gathering my lightweight camp gear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010

The desert during the winter is just plain awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010

Njord Noatun:The desert during the winter is just plain awesome.

You got that right. I just did the Stagecoach Century (road ride) out from Ocotillo and it rocked. Seeing all those trails leading into the wild made me wish I had more time and had brought my MTB.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010

Super long DH run - chest cam - Thredbo Australia

And here you thought Australia was flat :face-devil-grin:

• CommentAuthoryoshi
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010

I've been snowboarding at Thredbo. It was so weird because as I recall the entire mountain was covered with Eucalyptus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010

Teenager guilty of killing Time Trialist....

A teenage driver who hit and killed an army major taking part in a time trial on the A1 has been found guilty of dangerous driving.

Katie Hart, 19, told Peterborough Crown Court that she did not see Major Gareth Rhys-Evans and only realised she had hit something after she heard a bang and her windscreen smashed.

Maj Rhys-Evans was knocked off his Kinetic-One bike and catapulted over the roof of Hart's Ford Ka, ending up in the fast lane of the dual carriageway. He survived the initial impact – a fellow competitor described hearing him screaming and crying – but his injuries proved fatal and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

-------

Sadly, if this happened in the USA I would bet she wouldn't have been charged. Doc Road Rage only got tried because he had incidents in his past.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010

so as some of you may know i put on the vintage portion of the Keyesville Classic Mountain Bike Race.

this race is 22 years old and i have been doing it for 21 years now. about 5 years ago i worked with the promoters to add the vintage categories to this event. you can enter bikes which are from 1986 and older and 1987 to 1995. you race downhill, short track and cross country. of course there are all the normal race categories as well if you want to race modern bikes.

the race takes place near Lake Isabella in the Southern Sierra's which is about a 6 hour drive. the primitive camping is free and absolutely beautiful.

so anyone have a classic bike they may want to take out there?

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010

i will be here racing. signed up already, still not sure how im getting there though.

i took the mary out for its first ride today, got stuck in a bit of mud :) more pictures and a story if you click here
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010

man, i can't wait for out trails to dry out. i miss mountain biking. i had to drive to LA to ride today. it was sunny and beautiful while it was stormy down here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2010

i rode out in Lake Morena today. beautiful weather and the trails were in good shape. it's been a long time since i've seen try trails, it was nice. i managed to crash on the last corner of the day about 50 feet from my truck. stupid wash out crash. nearly broke my collar bone for the 3rd time. im pretty sore but elated my collar bone toughed it out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010 edited

OK, so now im thinking i did break my collar bone. not bad though. it was hurting yesterday but it was nothing like the previous two times i broke it so i thought it was sore but not busted, now i feel that it's got a hairline crack. the other two times i really destroyed my collar bones and it took a year to heal. this one seems minor. i commuted to work today which hurt a little but it was manageable. it should heal quickly. my left collar bone was so badly broken that it now looks like a "W". i always knew that even a small crash on it would break it.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010

Velo Cult:OK, so now im thinking i did break my collar bone. not bad though. it was hurting yesterday but it was nothing like the previous two times i broke it so i thought it was sore but not busted, now i feel that it's got a hairline crack. the other two times i really destroyed my collar bones and it took a year to heal. this one seems minor. i commuted to work today which hurt a little but it was manageable. it should heal quickly. my left collar bone was so badly broken that it now looks like a "W". i always knew that even a small crash on it would break it.

It hurts me to read that! Glad you weren't hurt worse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010

yeah, same here. i have my once a year vintage mountain bike race that i put on in the Sierra's. for the third year in a row i'll be not racing because of injury. i gotta stop crashing.
    Velo Cult:yeah, same here. i have my once a year vintage mountain bike race that i put on in the Sierra's. for the third year in a row i'll be not racing because of injury. i gotta stop crashing.

i feel weird when i ride and i dont crash.
    i had a highspeed downhill crash at bonelli park last sunday where i lost traction and ended up skidding off the trail, then my back wheel clipped a tree and sent me flying. i did a few barrel rolls and landed on my feet. somehow my wheel was still true, i thought it would have been done for how fast i was going.

sweet pic. sweet bike!
    DutchBurrito:sweet pic. sweet bike!

thanks!
    liesure rode it and raced it with drop bars this weekend and had a blast! ive got alot of new parts for it on the way:)