Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2010

a buddy in Nor Cal took is the rider in this video. he's a really good rider and descender. the single track is great.

reynolds zona tubes, lugs and cast chromoly track dropouts.
    guess what ive got on the way?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2010

what have you got brewing Brian?
    We need to have a thread just for Brians bikes. I want your Mary.
    Velo Cult:what have you got brewing Brian?

secret for now :face-smile:

1rider:We need to have a thread just for Brians bikes. I want your Mary.

haha buy my mary. i need help funding this one.
    http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/brianitzaina/mary%20ss/0307101050a.jpg
    i took the mary out for its first ride today, got stuck in a bit of mud :) more pictures and a story if you click here

Nice 29er. Having disc brakes makes sense for muddy conditions.

Did you stop by at Pacific Coast cycles in Oceanside on the long commute? Chuck has a bunch of 29ers.
    Sure.. You accept monthly payments right!
    markphilips:Did you stop by at Pacific Coast cycles in Oceanside on the long commute? Chuck has a bunch of 29ers.

i planned to stop by and hang out with check for a bit but i passed by around 730 so he wasnt open yet.
    1rider:Sure.. You accept monthly payments right!

sure thing :face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010

i did a nice 3 hour ride in Rose canyon this morning. the less known trails are so overgrown that they are impossible to see at the moment. LOTS of poison oak right now. i sure hope im not covered in that crap right now. i'll know in two days. i just finished a Tecnu bath.
    my fork is done and ready for paint as of today. frame lugs and bb are on the way so frame should be in the works soon. can anyone guess the frame builder yet?

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010

really nice Brian. i can't say. it's custom with a Pacenti crown so it could be anyone. you're really turning into a bike snob. i love it.
    yea, i cant wait till its all finished!
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2010 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2010

i'd ride there. looks cool.

mountain bikers were the the most brotastic stuff. awful clothes in that sport.
    frame is done and off to paint as of yesterday.
    paints going to be about 3 weeks as well as waiting on my hoops. everything else is pretty much ready and waiting to be built up. so excited.

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2010

very cool klunker style frame. he put a lot of time into that frame. work of art!
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2010

Hey, anyone have any recommendations on affordable mtn bikes? I've been mostly a roadie and commuter (I ride an old Raleigh Marathon I got from VC) but looking to get out on the trails. I was thinking hardtail, maybe 29er? I've considered going the craigslist route for a used one, but I'm a little nervous about getting stuck with a bike that had been crashed or somehow damaged that I wouldnt be able to recognize...

cheers,

futch
    changed a few things.
    salsa pro moto stem 80mm
    ritchey comp bar
    kmc 8spd chain
    and i have a thomson seatclamp but ive misplaced it in my garage.
    weighed in at 17lbs 7oz
    technically not mountain biking.
    riding my cross at hodges.
    • CommentAuthorProtorio
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010

Rode with friends Dustin & Jacek along the Sweetwater Reservoir, and then to the top of that big hill -- called "rockhouse?" Really fun few hours, although I was getting really banged up riding rigid.

Hike a Bike
    raced sport super d at elfin forest today
    heres the video

placed 8th i think?

raced xc earlier sport ss
    placed 5th

also there was some CARNAGE on the super d as well as the xc.
    i went down pretty hard on my second lap on xc. tons of people got scraped up. a guy in super d went tried to cut a corner on the course and do a jump and ended up with two broken wrist and a few broken ribs. jacked his bike up pretty bad too.
    Awesome video! What video cam did you use for the video? I enjoyed the switchbacks and the fast single tracks. Where is this trail? Link to GoogleMaps please.
    im using the go pro wide angle on my helmet.
    the trail is the ceilo trail and its alot of fun. only bummer is the quickest way up to it isnt open except for the races.
    so if you go down you have to go right back up.
    heres a link with more info.
    http://www.racersandchasers.com/Elfin_Forest.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010

every Thursday night show up at Velo Cult at 7pm for a quick and fun ride around Florida cyn. i don't think you need lights since it's staying light for so long right now. bring a single speed, geared bike, rigid or even vintage mountain bike out for this one. full suspension bikes i don't think are as much fun in this area but you're more than welcome to haul one out. come ride with me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010

anyone want to ride with me at 7pm?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2010

im riding Florida Canyon at 5pm. anyone want to join? no need for lights.
    • CommentAuthorProtorio
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2010

I'll try to make it to one of these. That's the kids' dinner time... but one of these days!
    2.35 tires and a swift
    back from spectrum.

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010

Jeez dude. That's really nice. Looks expensive.
    Velo Cult:Jeez dude. That's really nice. Looks expensive.

it wasnt cheap ha
    almost done

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2010

looks sharp.
    That looks really good. Let me know when you take it out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2010 edited

Looks good. It's a modern day version of a Retro Tec mountain bike. I actually just got a Retrotec. I will post photos when I build it up but it will take me a while.

Here's the Retrotec I just got. It's the third ever made and it's from about 1990

Actually the company is still in business. Here's a modern day version

I own this Retrotec too. Retrotec's are rare but this one is ultra rare
    vintage retrotec mountain bike Pictures, Images and Photos
    nice sky,

retrotec's, jeff jones's and mcclung's were my motivation. id been drooling over them for a while and ran across the victoria's at the last sdcbs. im curious as to how many down payments for custom bikes were put down that weekend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2010

I would like to take a few days and explore the interior of Catalina Island: Ferry to Avalon, ride around the island, go to Two Harbors, stay at some of the "primitive", off the beaten track, campgrounds.

Has anybody ridden a bike on Catalina (beyond Avalon, of course)? Are all roads open to bicyclists (with the proper permits, of course), or are bikes restricted to certain roads? How rough are the roads - the Conservany says MTBs only, but presumably a CX bike could handle it, too? Distances aren't too large on Catalina, but it is pretty hilly - you can easily accumulate 5,000' or more by traversing the island round trip.

I have spoken with Lee ("Crash") about a Catalina trip and he can chip in, too, if he sees this post.

Any information would be appreciated - thanks.
    • CommentAuthorLee
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2010

I looked into it last June and haven't had a chance to follow up as I have been out of town.

The cost would be very high with boat rides / passes/ lodging etc. The Summer touristm also drives the costs way up. The costs are high to begin with. I still want to go but I am thinking Fall when the costs are down. Weather is better then also.

I have been on some of the roads on the interior of the island. I don't think a mountain bike is required as the rules state. I will make some calls and find out how strict they are on that rule. I will also get some costs together and report back what I find this week.

Do we want to start a new section for this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2010 edited

Although there are other roads on the island, these two routes between Two Harbors and Avalon are the only ones open to the public - the Conservancy keeps a pretty firm grip on everything out there. As an example of the kinds of hills a rider has to deal with, this 47 mile round trip has an accumulated elevation gain of almost 7,000 feet!

I like to push the limits of my bike beyond what it is technically intended for (XO-1 calls it "under-biking"), so I would just put knobbies on and turn it into a CX bike - of sorts.

crash:Do we want to start a new section for this?

Due to the cost, time commitment, and physical demands (MTB trail reviews) of a ride across Catalina, I suspect the interest will be fairly limited. I would keep discussion in this this thread unless the event "takes off".

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010

Who wants to ride this Thursday in Florida Canyon? We will meet at the store, 6pm. No lights required.
    I'd be up for the Catalina ride in the fall.

I'm doing my first century in October, and training for that now. Once that's off my radar, I should be in good enough condition to go and not make people wait too long at the top of any hills. :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2010

Tomorrow come mountain bike Florida Canyon if you can. 6pm a the shop. No lights required.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2010

That was a fun quick little jaunt through Florida Canyon. We will do it every Thursday. For now you don't need lights but in a few months you will.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010

MTB-ers probably are likely all over this already, but I stumbled upon a great web site for all kinds of information - trails, maps, reviews, pictures, GPX files - about mountain bike trails: WhereWeRide - check out the San Diego trails as an intro to the site. Can't wait to ride the Carizzo Gorge and Big Laguna now...
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2010

Anyone want to ride Thursday evening? High power lights might be needed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2010

Cool video.

I kind of wish the Leadville 100 didn't get so much attention. This has always been such a rad, almost underground race and a bunch of pro road racers come out there with their lead out trains and try to win it. Lead out trains are for the street, not the mountain.

• CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2010

Njord Noatun:MTB-ers probably are likely all over this already, but I stumbled upon a great web site for all kinds of information - trails, maps, reviews, pictures, GPX files - about mountain bike trails: WhereWeRide - check out the San Diego trails as an intro to the site. Can't wait to ride the Carizzo Gorge and Big Laguna now...

The Big Laguna is awesome, my wife and I rode it on our 'cross bikes... it is super smooth with beautiful scenery!
    • CommentAuthoryoshi
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2010

Velo Cult:Cool video.

I kind of wish the Leadville 100 didn't get so much attention. This has always been such a rad, almost underground race and a bunch of pro road racers come out there with their lead out trains and try to win it. Lead out trains are for the street, not the mountain.

This video gave me the chills!