Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2010

Had a super fun time exploring Penasquitos and environs yesterday on my single speed!
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010

Any recommendations on tire pressure for tubeless?
    • CommentAuthorjebiker
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010

William.:Any recommendations on tire pressure for tubeless?

What kind of tires? 26" or 29"?

I run 28 psi on my 29 SS.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2010 edited

29". Hard tail.
    shiggy\You have to experiment. Keep dropping the pressure until you start getting pinch flats or the tires feel squirmy in the corners, then add 2-3 psi. This will be where most tires will preform the best, though a few models may have a sweet spot that is a little higher depending on riding style and terrain.

via mtbr
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2010

Hey all,
    My future father in law is in town this weekend for the wedding and he's an avid mountain biker. I don't have a mountain bike, but I'd like for him to be able to take a couple rides through our great canyons. Does anyone know of a local shop that will rent a mountain bike for an afternoon? Does anyone have a bike he can rent/borrow?

Cheers,
    Ted
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2010

What size bike Ted?
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2010

brian itzaina:
    shiggy\You have to experiment. Keep dropping the pressure until you start getting pinch flats or the tires feel squirmy in the corners, then add 2-3 psi. This will be where most tires will preform the best, though a few models may have a sweet spot that is a little higher depending on riding style and terrain.

via mtbr

I did something similar, thought I had found happy, but ended up burping a tire completely flat and my small pump couldn't put it back on the rim... Nothing more a bummer than a long walk home. I'll try the two PSI adjustment phase idea, as it seems there isn't a golden mean psi.
    • CommentAuthorjebiker

I did something similar, thought I had found happy, but ended up burping a tire completely flat and my small pump couldn't put it back on the rim... Nothing more a bummer than a long walk home. I'll try the two PSI adjustment phase idea, as it seems there isn't a golden mean psi.

That kind of tires are you running? Do you have tubeless rims or a Stan's kit?
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

That's why I'm hesitant to try tubeless tires. I am perfectly capable of repairing a punctured tube.
    wpstoll:That's why I'm hesitant to try tubeless tires. I am perfectly capable of repairing a punctured tube.

i agree, i had stans hoops on my 29er wheels and i had the kit and everything but i never used it. i run skinny tires at about 40psi so there was no reason to go tubeless.
    • CommentAuthorjebiker

I agree. I run WTB 2.55'' tires with 28psi with tubes injected with Stans sealant. Works great
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

He's a 17-18" or medium. We're also thinking of going for a road ride tomorrow around town, so also thinking of a 54-55cm for that...

Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

I don't think I have a road bike he can use right now but im sure I have a mountain bike. I will work on bringing it from my condo to the shop tomorrow.
    • CommentAuthormfutch

Anyone ever have problems with the Marine Corps base when going up into Spring Canyon? I rode up there yesterday and veered off onto some fun single track, but later read something about bikes being confiscated, what is that all about?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Bikes have been confiscated and tickets given but very rarely. I ride that area all the time. Once in a while they ask me to go back to the legal trails but that's the most hassle I have ever had. I try to limit my time there. I use that are just to get back and forth between the Spring Canyon area and Sycamore Canyon.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2010

jebiker:

That kind of tires are you running? Do you have tubeless rims or a Stan's kit?

Tubeless rims. The burp came from landing hard (I'm guessing) in a turn and literally burped the tire flat. Once home, I cleaned the rim out, added some puncture sealent and inflated them back up. I'm riding a 29x2.2, I was at 22 for a long time, but that seems to be off.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2010

Just wanted to say thanks again to Sky and VC for lending an awesome mtn bike to my future father-in-law. He had an amazing time riding around balboa and florida canyons and couldn't be happier. Just wanted to give a shout out to a truly good shop that takes care of people in need (as if everyone here didn't already know it... haha)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2010 edited

t.e.d:Just wanted to give a shout out to a truly good shop that takes care of people in need (as if everyone here didn't already know it... haha)
    I will second that: This morning, I brought in what I feared was a beyond salvation out-of-true wheel to VC that had been damaged in a crash: Alex adjusted the wheel back to near-new condition and alignment, and it is now perfectly rideable again - thanks, Alex and VC!
    No kidding. I've been to VC more times than I can count for minor adjustments, air, etc., and left for nothing but a smile and handshake.
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy

I was looking for a ride and came across an interesting looking ride in the east county. Something fun for later in the fall or winter. Anyone interested?

-Andy
    • CommentAuthoryoshi
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2010 edited

Here here.
    Sky brought one of his bikes into VC just so I could test drive some tires (grand bois hetre).
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Wow, thanks guys. It's truly great to know your appreciated for the work you do. Sometimes we feel like outsiders in this town but this forum always grounds us. Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2010 edited

I rode on the dirt path in Florida Canyon yesterday after work. I rode from the bottom (starting at Florida Drive - I finally figured out where the dirt path begins/ends) all the way to the top and popped out by the golf course on Pershing. I couldn't make some of the turns since they were sharp and had many moments where I was certain I would fall and break my neck. But it was really fun!

I took a photo as proof that I was there. It is blurry since I was trying not to fall.

Riding on the dirt path in Florida Canyon

Also, this is the appropriate clothing to wear when mountain biking =) I love the color yellow (it matches my teeth), plaid and ruffles.

Bike clothes - three of my favorite things, the color yellow, plaid and ruffles
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2010

Right on, soon you'll be tearing up those trails out there. Perhaps even getting a mountain bike. :face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010

I had a blast riding those trails with Todd on my touring/commuter. It handled everything really well and Todd even complimented me for staying rubber side down on the entire trail system. Always nice to get a thumbs up from the dad-in-law.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

MTB'ers and Rough Riders - does anybody know if this "truck trail" through SD Cleveland National Forest from Boulder Creek to Lakeside / SD Country Estates is accessible and passable for bicycles? It looks to me like it is, but the map looks a little sketchy around the area of El Capitan.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010 edited

Njord Noatun:MTB'ers and Rough Riders - does anybody know if this "truck trail" through SD Cleveland National Forest from Boulder Creek to Lakeside / SD Country Estates is accessible and passable for bicycles? It looks to me like it is, but the map looks a little sketchy around the area of El Capitan.

That looks an awful lot like the trail I hiked up to El Cajon mountain a few weekends ago where I started at Wildcat Canyon Road. There are sections one can do on a bike, but there are long stretches where riding it would be flat out impossible. Rain damage has created large crevices that were challenging to walk through and the last .6 mile is filled with gigantoid rocks one has to clamor over. I really can't imagine anyone but Danny Macaskill going up there. Also, I thought the hike was challenging enough, anyone who does it on bike would be a God to do it.

And someone can correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the actual peak to El Capitan is closed to the public or somehow inaccessible.

EDIT: If I am mistaken about the trail linked above (and it is not the miner's trail to the gem mines), I'm curious about the terrain to and why in the world I didn't see that when I was hiking.
    • CommentAuthorSam

Also congratulations t.e.d on being newly married!! Life only gets better from here onward.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

THANKS!

Recieved many warm congrats from the folks at the Bike Union picnic today. Feels a lot like before we were married, but I no longer have to use the absurd word "Fiance", and I get to wear a cool ring.
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy

Njord Noatun:MTB'ers and Rough Riders - does anybody know if this "truck trail" through SD Cleveland National Forest from Boulder Creek to Lakeside / SD Country Estates is accessible and passable for bicycles? It looks to me like it is, but the map looks a little sketchy around the area of El Capitan.
    Looks like a cool route! The gap (on Google at least) between the roads only looks like 100' or 200'. Would it be possible to make it all the way to the 79, point to point?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010 edited

An.dy: Looks like a cool route! The gap (on Google at least) between the roads only looks like 100' or 200'. Would it be possible to make it all the way to the 79, point to point?
    Yes! Traveling west to east, once you hit Boulder Creek Rd at the end of my route, you can turn left to go to Lake Cuyamaca or all the way to Julian, or turn right to go down to Descanso and the Hwy 79 exit off I-8: And all this without riding as much as a mile on Hwy-79 (unless you want to), So this east west route, if it works, could be an important component in any Cuyamaca / Laguna "rough" tours - at least on paper.

It is possible that the gap in the trail at the northern end of El Capitan is just there to allow for the kind of high water levels we haven't had for years.

So I suspect the entire route is accessible - but it may not be passable due to road conditions or road blocks/gates/fences: I guess the only way to find out is to go out there to scout it out.

bëany:EDIT: If I am mistaken about the trail linked above (and it is not the miner's trail to the gem mines), I'm curious about the terrain to and why in the world I didn't see that when I was hiking.
    Although I do not know, and am not familiar with, the route you took to El Cajon Mtn, I believe that the northern end of El Capitan, which is where the trail in question goes, is several miles to the north-east of where you hiked: So it may just have been too far away for you to notice, or on the "other" side of the mountain from your location.
    im going riding tomarrow morning and im super excited!
    i cant wait for that tacky dirt. i was getting tired if sand all summer.
    • CommentAuthorjebiker
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2010

We rode Tunnels in PQ canyon today. The trail was perfect. 20 miles
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy

Went to Noble Canyon on Saturday - broke through the clouds @ 3000' on the 8 East, parked off Pine Creek and powered the road up to the BLT on my single speed (okay so I walked some of it:face-angel:). Did a lap around the lake and came down Noble Canyon - what an awesome ride!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

I rode PQ today on my Bontrager Cyclocross bike. Perfect day for it. Best ride I have ever done out there. The soils is nice and tacky. The only thing that could have made it better is if I had a riding partner. Cross bikes are a tad dull alone.
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy

Velo Cult:I rode PQ today on my Bontrager Cyclocross bike. Perfect day for it. Best ride I have ever done out there. The soils is nice and tacky. The only thing that could have made it better is if I had a riding partner. Cross bikes are a tad dull alone.

I did a lap out there (just around the canyon bottom) the other month on my cross bike (also solo, and gloveless - ouch!) Would be fun to head out again though!
    from this morining
    • CommentAuthorAlanKHG

I only have my touring bike at work usually but Pequenasitos is just north of work (there are apparently paths down from the mesa) & I've been meaning to try it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

AlanKHG:there are apparently paths down from the mesa) & I've been meaning to try it.
    There are many access points, but here's one that works well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Oh, and today my quiet CX bike snuck up on 3 deer. I got within 15 feet of them. That doesn't happen every day in San Diego.
    <blockquote><cite> Velo Cult:</cite>Oh, and today my quiet CX bike snuck up on 3 deer. I got within 15 feet of them. That doesn't happen every day in San Diego.</blockquote>
    i was at pq last sunday on the moots and right beforw we hit the little single track to the tunnels we saw a deer about 20 feet away. we continued to ride toward it slowely then it jumped in the bushes and seconds later two deer jumped out and hopped away only feet from us. it was awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2010

Here's a cool video of the Jem Trail in Utah that some of my old team mates just did. Makes me want to drive east and explore Utah more this winter.

• CommentAuthorWilliam.

Is that Anderson Truck Trail? I have done 4WD out there several years ago.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

An.dy:I was looking for a ride and came across an interesting looking ride in the east county. Something fun for later in the fall or winter. Anyone interested?

-Andy

I have done that trail by Jeep. It is,in a word, very, very awesome. Bring a camera, a lot of time and you'll love it. It is, very much though isolated in portions with no way to go but no where for a LONG time. I've heard it is very very sandy when it is dry, nearly impassible for bikes.
    • CommentAuthorthom

Velo Cult:Here's a cool video of the Jem Trail in Utah that some of my old team mates just did. Makes me want to drive east and explore Utah more this winter.

Oh great, thanks a lot. Now I want a mountain bike again. :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

You ride the same size bike as me. You're always welcome to borrow. I can show you some of the local canyons or head out east into the mountains.
    • CommentAuthorthom

Cool. I only ever bombed around on a mountain bike as a teenager, and I have no idea what I'm doing, but if you'd be willing to put up with a newbie, I'd be up for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

It's a date. When I get back from my tour we'll go riding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

William.:Is that Anderson Truck Trail?
    Same general area, but Anderson Truck Trail is farther to the south.