Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2010

Anyone know how the trails near the coast are looking?
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010

Hey,

Had a great ride out at Carrizo Gorge this weekend. Perfect weather and beers at Alpine Brew Pub on the way back. Really cool ride, here are some pics:

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Awesome! Where is that and how do you get there?
    t.e.d:Awesome! Where is that and how do you get there?

holy moley that looks so awesome!!! i must know!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

brian itzaina:
    t.e.d:Awesome! Where is that and how do you get there?
    holy moley that looks so awesome!!! i must know!
    Okay so who's organizing it? Winter is coming up quick (perfect timing).
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

I've done that ride several times now. I took my wife last winter. Absolutely gorgeous out there. Totally illegal (trespassing on railroad land) but worth the risk I think.

• CommentAuthormfutch

It's out near Jacumba, Mtn Bike Bill has some info on how to get there. It's a great ride!
    Hans:Okay so who's organizing it? Winter is coming up quick (perfect timing).

Im so down as soon as my elbow heals!
    --------------------------------------------
    got bored today. 650b's on the moots. looks like im gonna be building some new wheels soon.
    heres a link to more pictures and info http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=667875
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010

Had a fun ride out of Mission Trails. Only my second time out there - first was a total bust and swore the place off. Today was awesome though
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010

San Diego has two trails in the top 10 on this list. They don't list the Cannell plunge in the Southern Sierra's though. That's the best single track I have ever ridden.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Nevermind about that list. It doesn't even have The San Juan Trail in San Juan Capistrano. Lame.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

brian itzaina:
    Hans:Okay so who's organizing it? Winter is coming up quick (perfect timing).

Im so down as soon as my elbow heals!
    --------------------------------------------
    got bored today. 650b's on the moots. looks like im gonna be building some new wheels soon.
    heres a link to more pictures and info http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=667875

Interesting prop with the Channellocks. How well does that work?
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

Sweet Moots! There's nothing like Ti off road. Now that I'm not using the Merlin for commuting any more it's stripped down and ready for the rough stuff. I'm still going to be using it for touring. Do 650B wheels fit on a frame built for 26"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

I had to drive up to LA today. I threw in a fun mountain bike ride in Whittier at Turnbull Canyon. Hot damn, LA has the best riding (quality of trail and scenery) in the country hands down. SD's trails are weak unfortunately.
    wpstoll:Sweet Moots! There's nothing like Ti off road. Now that I'm not using the Merlin for commuting any more it's stripped down and ready for the rough stuff. I'm still going to be using it for touring. Do 650B wheels fit on a frame built for 26"?

i agree completely. i love the feeling of ti. my moots was built in 2000 and was made for 26" wheels and fits 650b's. im building up new 650b wheels for it next week.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010

Sounds like just the ticket for my next tour. Do the brakes need to be reset for the transition to 650B or will they switch seamlessly back and forth?
    ^
    for the conversion on the moots i need adapters for the rear. front clears fine with the adjustment on my paul moto lite brakes.

brake noodle rubbs the tire

so im going to use these sinz brake post adapters

as for the pad adjustment, pauls have the most adjustablility for such a thing

the fmf brakes are runner up(but i think theyre ugly)
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011

So, what are the best trails during a wet winter? I love mountain biking but hate all the cleaning and maintenance. Any sandy trails that drain nicely?
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2011

Mountain Bike Bill (dot com) has a wet trails rating system here:

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/blog/?page_id=127
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

An.dy:Mountain Bike Bill (dot com) has a wet trails rating system here:

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/blog/?page_id=127

Thanks dude! Bill's site is a real asset to the community.

Lake Morena it is! I love riding there.
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.

According to my boss, Bill used to work with him. Small world, kind of.

Anyway, I'm begining to wonder about MTB's. I have had less than 3 crashes (that didn't involve cars) on the road. On my MTB, I've put it down several times. Bruises, cuts, joints.. I'm wondering if it's just not meant to be.

1 foot hole to squeeze through with the bus on imperial? No problem.

Small rock. face plant.

:face-monkey:
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Yeah, there's a big learning curve with MTB's. I put in the stupid little crashes decades ago to earn my fun on the mountain. Now I only crash if it's catastrophic. I can't remember the last time I crashed where I didn't end up in a hospital with something broken. The good news is I don't crash very often anymore. No more stupid little crashes with bruises and cuts in between the catastrophic crashes thankfully.

Even with the crashes there's no place I'd rather be than backcountry with my bike.
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy

Just got back from a tour of the Cuyamacas and Lagunas. Lower portions were ok, fire roads were in good shape. Up higher (and particularly in the Cuyamacas - Fern Flat, Alzalea Spring, West Side Loop Fire Roads) there was melting snow on top of saturated ground...messy. I was hoping to take the CA riding and hiking trail around the lake, hook up with the Sunrise highway, climb to the BLT and descend back to the car via Noble Cyn, the wetness had other plans though. I got a nice climb up the Sunrise highway caked in mud from the fire roads in the Cuyamacas instead. I dropped down Deer Ck Rd hoping to salvage a ride on Noble Canyon, but it was a sloppy mess. Had a nice ride down paved road as the sun began to drop behind the mountains instead. I think it would be a pretty rad loop though when conditions improve, the ride clocked in just under 50 miles, with several options for shortening or lengthening it.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

The trail around the lake is fun. I'd really like to go up there with some people some time... perhaps when it isn't too muddy. That loop sounds like some of the ones I've done up there, a lot like one in particular.
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2011

There's a petition put out by the SDMBA and others to try and get a bike skills park built in San Diego. You can sign it here: http://www.petitiononline.com/SDMBA/petition.html
    I was recently up in Seattle and saw the potential for a skills park. The Colonnade Park in Seattle has tons of features and is a great use for a chunk of land that would otherwise go unused. Here are some links to the (Seattle) park:

http://evergreenmtb.org/colonnade/
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/i-5-colonnade-mountain-bike-park-seattle
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2011 edited

Velo Cult:Yeah, there's a big learning curve with MTB's. I put in the stupid little crashes decades ago to earn my fun on the mountain. Now I only crash if it's catastrophic. I can't remember the last time I crashed where I didn't end up in a hospital with something broken. The good news is I don't crash very often anymore. No more stupid little crashes with bruises and cuts in between the catastrophic crashes thankfully.

Even with the crashes there's no place I'd rather be than backcountry with my bike.

It's worth it to practice crash and running on grass because this has saved me from unnecessary injuries many times along the technical trails and ravines I used to ride in Toronto.... Here's a sample I found on Youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2011 edited

I took a fun spin around Florida Canyon today. What a fantastic day.

Florida Canyon is mostly completely dry but still nice and tacky.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2011

I've been riding Florida on my way home last few nights.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011

In Crested Butte right now...probably a little too much snow to get out the old stumpjumper...
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2011

Today I rode Sycamore canyon singletracks and some Mission Trails singletracks. What an amazing day. Beautiful weather and the terrain is covered in fresh new green grass. Some puddles with mud but everything else is tacky and awesome. Great day out there.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2011 edited

moved to another thread. was about a ride in the Mt Laguna area on Sunday the 23rd of January.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2011

Area's of Mt. Laguna are still a sloppy mess. I've had friends up there in the past few days and they came back saying to stay away for a little while. Wooded Hill is the worse apparently.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

Ah, good to know. I'll stick to the roads then, unless I can slip in some trail.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

On the flip side not too far away is Lake Morena and it's great out there. Hardly anybody rides Lake Morena but it's got some of the best riding in the county. On weekends there are a lot of motorcycles on the trails though.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike

Sunday is on a weekend... so I'll skip it for now.
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy

Velo Cult:On the flip side not too far away is Lake Morena and it's great out there. Hardly anybody rides Lake Morena but it's got some of the best riding in the county. On weekends there are a lot of motorcycles on the trails though.

Any trail recommendations? I haven't been up there and was thinking of something new for a longish am ride on Sunday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Uh, I can't say I really know any of the trail names. I just go out there and ride trails I've been riding for years. For a longish ride that's a great place to do it.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2011 edited

Inspiration to ride. I miss the woods, ubber-technical trails, switch-backs, snow, and pre-riding race courses. Glad I found this movie...
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2011

Velo Cult:Uh, I can't say I really know any of the trail names. I just go out there and ride trails I've been riding for years. For a longish ride that's a great place to do it.

I checked Mountain Bike Bill's website for some info. I might hold out for a weekday and do a few laps on the Anderson Truck Trail instead.

Racers and Chasers next weekend in Morely Field. Should be a fun time to get some hot laps around the park!
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2011

I'm still heading out to Mt Laguna in the morning. Hope the trails are decent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2011 edited

Starting a weekly night time mountain bike ride every Thursday. It would only be canceled if it was too muddy to ride. Meet at the corner of Mast and Medina in the dirt parking lot. This is for experienced riders who already have very powerful lighting setups. Expect to ride some good challenging miles. 6:30pm.
    • CommentAuthorAlanKHG
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2011

I went out for the "Punk Rock Mountain Bike Ride" today. It was enjoyable. I did it on my touring bike which wasn't quite up to some of the rocky parts. But still, fun!
    • CommentAuthormfutch

Velo Cult:Starting a weekly night time mountain bike ride every Thursday. It would only be canceled if it was too muddy to ride. Meet at the corner of Mast and Medina in the dirt parking lot. This is for experienced riders who already have very powerful lighting setups. Expect to ride some good challenging miles. 6:30pm.

Just rode from there up to Sycamore Canyon yesterday, hit the switchbacks up the hill to the left and the back down the switchbacks on the other side. Then cruised all that singletrack up to the ranger station. Re-filled the water bottles and tackled Martha's Grove. So fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Yeah, it's great out there right now. Today I rode Spring cyn to Oak Canyon and then rode to the western end of the park were we rode E-Ticked Ride. I was pretty worked after all that climbing. E-Ticket is off the hook right now. Someone's been doing some trail work on it and it's a blast.
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011

Velo Cult:Starting a weekly night time mountain bike ride every Thursday. It would only be canceled if it was too muddy to ride. Meet at the corner of Mast and Medina in the dirt parking lot. This is for experienced riders who already have very powerful lighting setups. Expect to ride some good challenging miles. 6:30pm.

Got 2 hours in at Spring and Oak and was out just at dark, fun fun riding! Would be stoked to check out the Thursday night rides - would a MiNewt 250 be enough light?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011

An.dy:

Got 2 hours in at Spring and Oak and was out just at dark, fun fun riding! Would be stoked to check out the Thursday night rides - would a MiNewt 250 be enough light?

I'm my experience the no. It's OK at slow speed but once the speed picks up you won't have enough light to really do the job off road. Mine is 500 lumens and does the job fine. It's double the lumens of the MiNewt 250. A year or two ago I rode with someone with the light you had and he had a hard time keeping up because of the lack of light. He returned it the next day and got a HID light.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011

Sounds like fun, but I'll have to wait until it stays light later. Just don't have the lighting rig to do this... Sky, do you have a helmet mount for your light, or handlebars?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011

I only do handlebars. Helmet mounts really ruin your depth perception. When your blazing down a trail you really want want to see the dips and rocks. People with helmet mounts will argue all day long that it's awesome but I can't handle them. Also, whenever someone in front of you kicks up dust a helmet mounted light will light up all the dust and you won't be able to see the trail at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011 edited

Discovering my off road legs again since the Boulder Creek tour. Did 4 laps on the Encinitas Ranch multi-use trail at lunch time. Plenty of hill climbing near home. Anybody know of trails like this in north county? I made a list using Satellite google maps. This trail is just north east of Quail Botanical Garden. (Paseo de las verdes and quail gardens dr)

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2011

Great ride tonight on the first of our Thursday night rides. The weather and trail conditions were perfect. It's the first time I've ridden that are at night and I really like it. These weekly rides are going to be a blast.