Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2011

Velo Cult:Great ride tonight on the first of our Thursday night rides. The weather and trail conditions were perfect. It's the first time I've ridden that are at night and I really like it. These weekly rides are going to be a blast.

Agreed! Fun ride (my first night ride) I had a blast chasing the kangaroo mice down the trail and learning new parts of the MTRP/Sycamore area - can't wait til next Thursday!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011

I won't be able to do the Thursday night ride this week. I have an event at the shop. Nik won't either since I am his ride. I hope others still go out there though. I wish I could join you. Next week I will.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011 edited

Explored a portion of Calavera hills and lake in Carlsbad. About 10 miles today around the lake area. It only took me 6 years to finally check it out. Perfect day for off-roading.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2011

I rode up in the Cuyamaca's today. Really nice and sunny albeit cold. I started out with a rolling 13 miles of climbing so the cold wasn't much of a worry for the first half. I had a short sleeve wool jersey under a long sleeve wool jersey. Then when I got to the top it was quite a bit colder. The tough branches on the little desert plants really hurt as they whipped my freezing cold legs. A few water crossings later and my feet were frozen. I ended up changing out the long sleeve gloves and adding a cycling cap under my helmet half way through. If I would have had my toe warmers and maybe a vest wind breaker it would have been perfect temp wise. Great day to be out there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Oh, and I saw 13 deers.
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy

Nice! Am headed up there tomorrow for a Grand Tour/Oriflamme loop, sounds like I should bring some extra layers!
    Sky: Thanks for the updates. Any snow up there?
    Andy: Do you usually ride by yourself?

I'll be riding a mini-epic tour on Jesmond Dene to Cougar pass loop in Escondido today....Then perhaps Harrison Grade tomorrow... It's closer to north county and the drive is under an hour from Carlsbad.
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2011 edited

Mark- I'm heading up w/a group to the Cuyamacas tomorrow, though I did the Grand Loop solo and another loop solo (Pine Valley - East Mesa - Jacumba Fire Road - Azalea Spring - Milk Ranch - CA riding and hiking - Sunrise Hwy - Noble) the latter was fun, but there were some sections of HAB (I have a ss) and some snow that prevented riding a good section of Noble. I imagine the snow is gone and dried up by now; I was last up there about a month ago... Keep us posted on the N. County trails!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

No snow at all Mark. One puddle up top had the slightest bit of ice covering it but that was it. It's always fun busting through the ice in puddles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2011

This guy's got some skills. I would love to ride through that town.

• CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2011

Been thinking about doing a bike-packing camping trip with a friend of mine. I've got a BOB trailer, but not sure if it will work on my 29er yet. Any suggestions on off road bike camping trips around San Diego county? Am considering breaking a variation of this one, it'd be cool to check out some of the slot canyons out there: http://www.mountainbikebill.com/ABDSP-08.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2011

I've never BOB toured in SD County so I can't help you there.

My BOB does not work with my 29er. The Yakima bike trailer does though. I got lucky on my last trip, I didn't check the fit beforehand and arrived at the trail head and it did not work. Luckily my buddy who was on a 26er had the Yakima and we simply switched trailers. Almost screwed the pooch on that one.
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2011

Been doing some heavy googling on the incomplete Sea to Sea Trail, anyone see any problems with the route so far (I started it from the ridge trail in sycamore canyon).

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/348346
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2011

I love tunnels and the trail elves who turn the steep loose fire roads of LPQ into fun s-turns....
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011

Gary Fisher Marlin Fixed Brakeless MTB:

• CommentAuthorMcLovin

Sam:Gary Fisher Marlin Fixed Brakeless MTB:

Somewhat frightening (brakeless, not the video).
    • CommentAuthormfutch

super....exactly what trails need...more skidding...let's hope that doesn't catch on...
    • CommentAuthormfutch
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011

GPS spot tracking the Arizona Trail Race: http://trackleaders.com/aztr

Rode along with Matt Ruscingo and Michael Szerszunowicz during the Corona 300 brevet, remotely rooting them on now...
    • CommentAuthorrandomjive
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2011

That is a nice bike :) I picked it up today and changed it around a bit. The top tube has a few dents in it and it is pretty scuffed up but it rides so nice and when I look at it and squint, it looks immaculate. I'm very happy with it

Photobucket
    • CommentAuthordstone
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2011

If anyone is interested in nocturnal MTB, AlanKHG and I may pedal on over to Rose Creek Canyon to utilize the trails and helmet-mounted Geomangear Magicshine luminosity at full blast, sometime after 10 PM or so. Whisper on back if interested.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Bryan, cool find. Those Zips are fast bikes. What's the rear brake? Avid Arch Supreme? And the handlebars, are they Jones H titanium bars?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

dstone:If anyone is interested in nocturnal MTB, AlanKHG and I may pedal on over to Rose Creek Canyon to utilize the trails and helmet-mounted Geomangear Magicshine luminosity at full blast, sometime after 10 PM or so. Whisper on back if interested.
    I'd like go testing out my new Schmidt dynahub/Edelux LED setup! Not MTB, though, so may just ride the pavement somewhere here locally.
    Thanks Sky, I really like the way it rides, and its very light. The bars are Jitensha Nitto Flat bars and the back brakes are some generic form, Im not sure.
    • CommentAuthorMcLovin
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2011 edited

Here are a couple videos from my recent mountain bike rides if anyone cares.

From this past weekend up on Mount Laguna:
    http://vimeo.com/23219150

Cowles Mtn a few weeks ago:
    http://vimeo.com/21862968

:face-monkey:
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2011

Has anyone used paragon's slider conversion kit to go from SS to a 1/9?
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011

McLovin:Here are a couple videos from my recent mountain bike rides if anyone cares.
    :face-monkey:

As I told you, the choice of music was excellent, Chipper. :)

I especially liked Dave's little jog. Too funny. I was going to ask if you were going to edit and add his little rant at the end and post it here again... but it would have to be bleeped just a bit too much. ha
    • CommentAuthorMcLovin
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011

Here are a couple of still frame captures from some video I shot in La Costa over the weekend. Video coming soon.

La Costa view

La Costa view

Climbing switchbacks

The fun part
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011 edited

Is that the hill above RSF Rd? I used to ride motorcycles and drive my VW all over those fire roads and trails. Later when I got my first MTB in 1990 I rode it there. The hill to the east with the reservoir on top has a fire road that leads from Dove Hollow Rd. in Olivenhain over the hill and down to the decommissioned landfill on the north side near Elfin Forest. That brings back memories of riding my father's Honda 250 enduro moto back in the late '70s when we lived in the area. Too bad about all the encroaching development! It's nice to see there's still some black sage, sagebrush, laurel sumac, and toyon; the maritime sage scrub habitat is still undisturbed there.
    • CommentAuthorMcLovin
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011

It is indeed!
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2011

Here is a pretty fun looking mtb video from the NW

Also, The Blind Lady Ale House is hosting Pedal Driven, a mountain bike documentary/advocacy video, on Monday evening. Should be good!
    We'll be driving up to Santa Fe, New Mexico. This will be our first time visiting for a two week trip.

Does anybody know of any good trails and camping there? hot springs and waterfalls?
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011

There is much talk of a "bike skills" park in America's Finest City but not a coherent list of needs or wants. There is a survey here to try and address this - any feedback would be most helpful! Thanks in advance!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011

•  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2011

that is absolutely nuts!!! great video Sigurd!!!
    • CommentAuthorMcLovin
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2011

Nice little article about why MTB should be allowed in wilderness areas. http://sportsyakima.com/2011/08/sandsberry-mountain-bikers-belong-in-the-wilderness/
    I've never been but I want to go to Mammoth Mountain Bike Park
    • CommentAuthorMcLovin
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2011

markphilips:I've never been but I want to go to Mammoth Mountain Bike Park

Mammoth is incredibly fun. I go there with some friends once a year for a weekend of riding (in fact, Ms. Gavilan was there for the inaugural trip 3 years ago!). The loose kitty litter-like dirt can take a little getting used to, but the trails are really fun. They've really stepped it up this year with the budget for new features and trails, as the video talked about.

Short vid from our trip at the beginning of August - :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2011 edited

I know Dan Large was just in Mammoth riding. Were you there with him?

It's been a while since I've ridden the pumice. I was lucky enough to do the Kamikaze back in the day though. :)
    Is there an online calendar of mountain bike races in SoCal or even San Diego?

When I used to live in Toronto, my friends and I would pre-ride courses the day before the race. I also enjoy spectating as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2011

If anyone's interested, I'm heading with some friends to ride Noble Canyon tomorrow, Sunday. We're taking the Astrovan and have some seats available. If you're not familiar with Noble, Google it first. A little technical in some areas, but we're not racing. The main thing is to not block any faster bikes (downhill/freeriders) descent.
    Call/text me if interested. Tentatively plan on meeting at Rebecca's at 1:00
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2011

Sigurd:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAqt141eJAU

That was 2007. I wonder how many of those guys are still alive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2011

OMG, this video is insane.

Start it at minute 91. It's the hardest world cup course of the year, the video doesn't really s how just how steep it is. The commentators are hysterical.

http://freecaster.tv/blog/mountainbike/470/join-rob-warner-live-for-the-mens-dh-finals-in-val-di-sole
    • CommentAuthorMcLovin
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2011

Velo Cult:OMG, this video is insane.

Start it at minute 91. It's the hardest world cup course of the year, the video doesn't really s how just how steep it is. The commentators are hysterical.

http://freecaster.tv/blog/mountainbike/470/join-rob-warner-live-for-the-mens-dh-finals-in-val-di-sole

Val di Sole was a great race. Gwin has been killing it this year. Danny Hart's run was smokin!! I think my heart stopped for a second there when he almost binned it at the very end! :face-monkey:
    • CommentAuthorMcLovin

This photo does a pretty good job of showing how Ugly the Val di Sole course was!

Yikes
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Seriously, that video sucked for making that course look so easy. That course is gnarly.
    • CommentAuthorMcLovin
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2011

Here's one that really shows how difficult it was, haha.

Doing it wrong
    Cecil:A ton of new stuff on the Surly blog today: http://surlybikes.com/blog/

I really like the Moonlander
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2011

Danny Heart absolutely killing it! http://www.pinkbike.com/video/216007/

The commentators drink too much coffee.
    • CommentAuthormichael_s
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2011

I wish I could ride even 50% that well... must have been some sticky wet dirt as he seemed to be glued to the ground.

oh... and put it on mute when you watch.

~mike