Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2010 edited

You've seen them "bent riders" on the road. Weird looking, eh? -----ADD other Ergonomic Contraptions on this thread however weird looking-----

Even though I've only started riding the Cruzbike just recently, I am still amazed how comfortable it is on very long rides. No sore buttocks, groin, back, wrist, leg, neck after a long ride. I began looking at alternative bikes after I torqued my lower back two years ago and couldn't ride my regular steeds. That's when I started looking at and test riding many recumbent bikes and trikes.

Most recumbent bikes have a high price tag. EZ, Bike E, Cruzbike recumbent bikes are the most affordable. Craigslist or Ebay is even more affordable.:face-smile:
    Cruzbike

EDIT: Added other weird looking human powered machines to this thread
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips

BikeE was based in Corvallis,OR and mass produced affordable recumbent bikes. Great engineering!

Some good points that was shared to me recently by long time recumbent biker:

*Seat is easy to remove, whole bike will fit in a car

*Very light

*Any bike shop can work on it

*Very comfortable, no back, wrists, or neck pain. Most important no scrotal/man-package numbness!

*Great core work out you will loose weight in mid section because you are lifting your legs up slightly while holding them out. It is a very subtle abs and butt workout with great leg exercise.

*Over time it makes a huge difference in your Mid Section appearance since you can ride longer distances because of the comfort factor. Why do you think all or most stationary bikes are recumbent in design? Just look around your gym and answer that one.

*A perfect solution for people with back problems or more important avoiding back and neck problems to begin with.

*Safer riding position with feet in front and bike structure in front of your body.

*Lower to ground so you can put your feet down flat on ground when sitting in the seat.

*Pleasant and restful seated position when stopped or waiting for traffic.

***Sit in an easy chair, get a great workout and watch the world go by under you.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips

CruzBike
    It's available as a complete bike or convert a full suspension bike with the conversion kit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

BikeE's were slowish, but they fit riders of all sizes. I purchased the original model in 1994 from Adams Ave and used it as my children's bike until the early 2000's:

I've been riding recumbents since 1994 and I even designed, welded (brazed) my own in 1998 (could be pedaled no-hands):

I've got over 50,000 miles riding them, used to write reviews for magazines on various models. Switched due to hand numbness. Not fanatical, I happen to love classic steel bikes and I want a Brompton for my airline travel.

Did Fiesta Island SDBC TT in 1999 on one and managed a 31:05 for the 20km (that's 24.12mph average), I was 42 at the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2010

Moar Pics:

The bike I did that 31:05 with:

A plumper me, riding the homebuilt at the infield at the Velodrome hands-free:

Racing a 'low racer' at the Velodrome ... I once rode this up/down Torry Pines. ONCE:

The bike I commuted from Cardiff to UTC (yes, the inside Torry Pines route) in the late 1990's:

Current ride:

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam

I have to say, most bent riders I've ever met were nut cases, but in a good way: Fun to be around and hilarious about talking about bent vs non bent.

It's like people with thier brooks saddles...:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Don't diss the Brooks :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam

<blockquote><cite> bikingbill:</cite>Don't diss the Brooks :-)</blockquote>

I tried one once, for a short period. Felt like someone was hitting me in the taint for the entire ride. After asking the 3 million people who LOVE Brooks saddles, they said "oh, it just takes a while to break in". I'm probably the only person I know on a bike who doesn't dig the Brooks. They look cool (especially the copper rivet model), and have a long history and loyal following. Maybe I'm just, sensative in that certain place?!?!

:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

A 'while' for me was around 5000 miles, but yeah ... it's magic when it breaks in.

I did NOT switch to Recumbents because of seat pain. It was hand numbness that pushed me. I also lost 120+ pounds in '96 commuting on one.
    • CommentAuthorSam

I think I've said this before...but I'm getting senile so I'll repeat myself because I can't remember for sure.

I hated my Brooks until late last summer (I think). Then it finally broke in and I have my little ass dents that make the ride sooo comfy. Large ass does not readily = density so it took a while for it to get broken in. I read so many reviews that riding it was like sitting on a couch. And I pictured a lazyboy. It is actually a couch-like object on a bicycle frame. I really thought I had been duped and was so mad for a very long time. Now I like it. Love it too strong a word. I don't wear my padded shorts anymore either.

I also have had a history of crappy seats for over 10 years. Everyone (in bike shops i.e.), prior to me researching online, gave me the wrong advice: get a hole in the seat for the crotch comfort, get a narrow seat for position comfort, blah, blah, blah.

I really don't get how people with large heinys sit on thimble sized seats. So uncomfortable to look at. And painful.
    After riding the Cruzbike for two weeks. I decided to take the Brompton folding bike out for a 10 mile ride around Cupertino last night. The after ride soreness was very noticable on my neck, psoas, lower back, and arms and this is one of the most comfortable setup that I have.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010 edited

Carrying a Timbuk2 laptop bag, regular laptop bag, or backpack without panniers is easy on the BikeE. More pics in FLIKR.

BikeE1 Bike2
    I saw this on the BikePortland Tweed ride FLIKR photostream. Bill, any ideas on where I can get a kit two mate two BikeEs?

bikeeetandem

Can you do this on a regular tandem bike? A romantic moment
    romantic
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010 edited

Electric assist.

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010

I think these are the people who used to make the BikeE Sociable Tandem conversion kit.

http://www.blackbirdbikes.com/

Since the BikeE has been out of production for some time, they have been building a kit for the EZ1 bikes:

I've always wanted a sociable for my lady and I. It would be nice to have one with a surrey top.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010 edited

evolution lazyboy funkycycle
    I, too, switched to recumbents because of carpal tunnel syndrome back in 1994, same year as Bill. After the first 10 mile ride on my Gold Rush, I immediately sold my 1980's vintage Centurion roadie. Honestly, I just do not understand why recumbents are not more popular. They are so much more comfortable than uprights. Plus they are safer and faster, too. (Uh, oh. Don't want to start a FLAME war. My apologies.)

Uh, I misspoke: Recumbents suck! They can't climb hills. (Actually, they can. They just do it differently.) They are expensive and they are ridden by old guys with grey beards, like me. Don't get a recumbent!

Gold Rush Replica

The Gold Rush now has almost 52,000 miles on it. I have stopped using it for my 40-mile round-trip commute and now am using an EZ-1 (grandson of the Gold Rush, pictured above in the side-by-side photos) with an electric motor. That dreaded disease, A.G.E., has taken its toll on my knees.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010 edited

WonderProfessor: Honestly, I just do not understand why recumbents are not more popular.
    I am thinking the UCI's banning of recumbents from their races (1934) has a lot to do with it, Frank: Recreational users will always take their equipment clues from the pros, and tend to purchase what the pros use, whether it makes sense or not.

I for one am very "curious" about 'bents, and know that using one would do wonders to my lower back: Both BikingBill and MarkPhilips ride regularly with us, but it would be great to get a few more recumbents amongst us!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2010

As a student of marketing (part of my job at the game company) I would say that someone needs to do that part right. BikeE came close to being ubiquitous, abet some bad decision sunk the company (product defects, de-worst-ifacation). They, at one point, had bikes in a huge number of dealerships.
    Njord Noatun:I am thinking the UCI's banning of recumbents from their races (1934) has a lot to do with it, Frank: Recreational users will always take their equipment clues from the pros, and tend to purchase what the pros use, whether it makes sense or not.
    I am thinking that you are correct. The saying in the 'bent community is, "If car manufacturers had done what bike manufacturers have done, we would all be driving around in Model A Fords with titanium frames and carbon fiber starter cranks." Cute, huh?

I for one am very "curious" about 'bents, and know that using one would do wonders to my lower back: Both BikingBill and MarkPhilips ride regularly with us, but it would be great to get a few more recumbents amongst us!
    Yes! Yes! Yes! You will find that lower back problems, if exacerbated by biking, will go away instantly. If it is chronic back pain, it will be better with a 'bent, but riding a 'bent won't cure a herniated disk!

As a student of marketing (part of my job at the game company) I would say that someone needs to do that part right. BikeE came close to being ubiquitous, abet some bad decision sunk the company (product defects, de-worst-ifacation). They, at one point, had bikes in a huge number of dealerships.
    Yes, Critical Mass is an issue. There are some repugnants coming down the line at Wal*Mart, et. al., that will be very, very cheap (for good reasons). That should help the cause but it may also cause a bit of a backlash. Uh, probably not, since the very cheaply made low end bikes that are available do not seem to be hurting the overall market for wedgies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2010

The WalMart 'bent isn't terrible. Much better than the old Re-Bikes.

Trek and Cannondale both tried introducing 'bents, but their NIH (not invented here) 'tude resulted in poor/complex designs (Aluminum bikes heavier than most Steel recumbents).

In fact you could take the WalMart 'bent, change out some of the components, and have a better machine than Cannondale's Recumbent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

WonderProfessor:Yes! Yes! Yes! You will find that lower back problems, if exacerbated by biking, will go away instantly. If it is chronic back pain, it will be better with a 'bent, but riding a 'bent won't cure a herniated disk!
    There is an undeniable correlation between the amount of riding I do and my backpain, to the extent that I now dread getting on my bike altogether.

I will try to get my bike adjusted, and try to get some opinions from physicians, acupuncturists, chiropractors and such, as well as do some more lumbar exercises: If none of that helps, I don't see any other solutions than getting off my diamond-frame altogether, long term.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Njord Noatun:
    WonderProfessor:Yes! Yes! Yes! You will find that lower back problems, if exacerbated by biking, will go away instantly. If it is chronic back pain, it will be better with a 'bent, but riding a 'bent won't cure a herniated disk!
    There is an undeniable correlation between the amount of riding I do and my backpain, to the extent that I now dread getting on my bike altogether.

I will try to get my bike adjusted, and try to get some opinions from physicians, acupuncturists, chiropractors and such, as well as do some more lumbar exercises: If none of that helps, I don't see any other solutions than getting off my diamond-frame altogether, long term.

A high-racer, something like I ride, would be great for someone of your height.

My issue was numbness in the hands.
    Glad to hear you think the Wal*Mart 'bent is actually decent, Bill. From what I saw when I first took a look at it over the Internet, I was not very impressed. I forget which site first alerted me to it and I forget which site I actually took a look at it. I have not seen one in person.

Yes, Njord! A recumbent may just be in your future! If you want to try a couple different two-wheeled models, contact me. (Just be sure to bring over your first born or other some valuable item of interest as collateral.) The trikes are coming down in price and are incredibly comfortable. I had one for some time (Catrike) and loved it but just did not ride it enough to justify keeping it and I wanted an electric 'bent and was pretty sure the trike would not have been a good bike to electrify so I sold it to fund the electric 'bent (EZ-1).
    Leiba

Leiba X-Stream

Green Speed Glyde
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010

One day I'll build myself a velomobile.
    The sunny weather seems to have invited so many people (at least in North County) to get out and ride their bikes.

Yesterday, this "laid back" lady caught my eye on her Rans Stratus with a trailer in tow. The picture was taken at E st in Encinitas. Check out the fair-ring on this HPV.

Rans Stratus
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010

Dual 26" model. Very nice.
    Hans, I can see you cruzin on one a Limo-bike. All it needs now is a huge basket infront! ;-) L.O.L

limo
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010 edited

SEMI-RECUMBENTS is in a class of its own but I figured posting it here. I saw this one at a local bikeshop

Here is a nice Chopper from PHATittuted. The COACH LINKAGE reminded me of a custom bike I saw when I was a child. I might get one of these.

phat xr3

On the day Phat's XR-3 AL was born, the welders all gathered 'round. They gazed in wild wonder at the bike they had found. Phat Cycles spoke up and said, "Leave this one alone." They could tell right away that it was bad to the bone. This rebellious ride sports a low-slung aluminum frame, a chopper-inspired fork and super-wide wheels. Its laid-back seating looks cool and allows you to have both feet on the ground while posing with your fans. You also get 3-speed internal gearing for easy pedaling and a sure-stopping disc brake up front.
    Gena loves this birthday gift
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010

markphilips:Gena loves this birthday gift

You parked this in Encinitas on Saturday? At the Starbucks. With the Brompton.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010 edited

Itching to convert the Cruzbike to a XtraCruz
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010

bikingbill:This is a good deal: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/1716141330.html

Trike: $250

I contacted this ad last month but forgot about it. Daughter bought it for her dad who had a back issue but no longer needed it. What a great find. Sadly, it's no longer posted.
    Gena wanted to get a trike with a basket but it takes too much space to store.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010 edited

This was featured on Popular Science Magazine. Wow $600 bucks for an entry level Trike.

Check out asaproducts.com

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2010

$600?

Spend $800 and get this:

I actually like the Rover better..
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2010

markphilips:I actually like the Rover better..

The Rover is a nice trike and it disassembles into a small package.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2010 edited

Historical facts

BikeE RX recumbent bicycle from 2000 or 2001.

This BikeE was made in Corvallis, Oregon. The bike was designed and built by a crew of less than 30 people - the only farmed out part of the bike was the seat and the frame. The seat came from tawain, while a company in Portland anodized the frame after it was welded in Corvallis. Even the wheels were handbuilt in house.

16" Front wheel, 20" Rear
    Cane Creek rear air shock, custom valved for the RX.
    High-back cushion Sweet Seat
    Carbon fiber steerer mast - almost a half pound lighter than the steel version found on the CT's, AT's, and NX's.
    Sram 7.0 Components
    27 Speed, mid-drive system - makes up for gearing issues with the small back wheel.
    Includes BikeE seat bag and air-shock pump
    Very comfortable even on rough roads

The RX came in 2 different colors, red and grey. There were also options for full suspension or just a rigid front fork. This model does not have the front suspension. BikeE produced a bike very similar to this call the FX - which is their off road model. The FX is really just an RX but with a short seat and straight handlebar. BikeE found that most dealers were custom building FX's with the tall seat and smooth tires. They found that the bike - the road going FX (which BikeE later put into production) was a great ride and handled amazingly well and customers were asking for it.

The red anodized frames always faded - most faded out to a light red within months of the purchase date of the bent.

This is the standard size frame, which fits riders from around 5' tall to just over 6'1 or 6'2" - depending on the leg length of the rider (or X-seam).
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2010

I was just watching "Bicentennial Man" and there's a BikeE in one of the shots.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2010

Fujin SL2 on the highway, how to ride Video

I assume this is in Saudi Arabia. The speed is impressive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010

Bacchetta is selling "frame kits" for $500. Frame, bars, idlers and seat clamp.

I'd suggest a Giro 26 to be built up with 26" wheels. It has Canti Studs.
    bikingbill:Bacchetta is selling "frame kits" for $500. Frame, bars, idlers and seat clamp.

What is the site link? I couldn't find it in their site. Thanks for the tip.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2010

markphilips:
    bikingbill:Bacchetta is selling "frame kits" for $500. Frame, bars, idlers and seat clamp.

What is the site link? I couldn't find it in their site. Thanks for the tip.

http://www.bacchettabikes.com/bikes/frame-kits.php

We all know the frame is the most important component of a bike. Still, you may be asking the question: Why would I buy a frame kit? Well, it could be you’re knee deep in bike parts and need a frame to hang them on. Or maybe you’ve been saving money for your dream bike and the spec on our Bacchetta complete bikes don’t quite mesh with your vision. Fair enough. In either case a Bacchetta frame kit gives you the ultimate foundation to build from.

Bacchetta recumbent frame kits include the following:

Frame (painted and decaled- available in stock colors only, no custom paint jobs or bare frames)
    Riser and riser clamp
    Handlebar
    Seat clamp
    Seat stays and pull pins
    Idler assembly.

Bacchetta recumbent frame kits do not include: Fork, seat, headset adjuster (either B-Pivot or BFT), drive train or braking components.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010 edited

New 24hour Record:

On a race course in Germany, Christian von Ascheberg has recaptured his 24h hpv record with a stunning performance, covering a distance of 1,223 km, averaging 50.8 kph in his German made Milan SL.

1. Paris-Brest-Paris is 1200k, and the course record is something like 44 hours.

2. Christian's average speed over 24 hours (50.8 kph) is higher than the UCI record over one hour (49.7 kph by Ondrej Sosenka) and that's despite the fact that Christian is over 50 years old and a (very good) amateur cyclist while Sosenka, at the time of his hour record, was 30 years old and a pro cyclist.

3. It's a production 75lbs TRIKE (wtf?).

http://www.droplimits.de/index.php?option=com_joomgallery&func=watermark&catid=26&id=539&Itemid=67

http://www.droplimits.de/index.php?option=com_joomgallery&func=watermark&catid=26&id=540&Itemid=67

Company: http://www.milan-velomobil.de/index_en.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010 edited

bikingbill:New 24hour Record:

On a race course in Germany, Christian von Ascheberg has recaptured his 24h hpv record with a stunning performance, covering a distance of 1,223 km, averaging 50.8 kph in his German made Milan SL.

1. Paris-Brest-Paris is 1200k, and the course record is something like 44 hours.

2. Christian's average speed over 24 hours (50.8 kph) is higher than the UCI record over one hour (49.7 kph by Ondrej Sosenka) and that's despite the fact that Christian is over 50 years old and a (very good) amateur cyclist while Sosenka, at the time of his hour record, was 30 years old and a pro cyclist.

I wonder what is the drag coefficient of this amazing hpv?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010

markphilips:
    bikingbill:New 24hour Record:

I wonder what is the drag coefficient of this amazing hpv?

Yep. Pretty low. Take a look at the pics. It's impressive.

You can buy this beast as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010

bikingbill:Christian's average speed over 24 hours (50.8 kph) is higher than the UCI record over one hour (49.7 kph by Ondrej Sosenka
    Not to diminish Christian's result, but Fabian Cancellara averaged 51.4 km/h in the penultimate stage (Stage 19) of this year's TdF (52 km only, so obviously a much shorter distance than Christian's).
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010

Njord Noatun:
    bikingbill:Christian's average speed over 24 hours (50.8 kph) is higher than the UCI record over one hour (49.7 kph by Ondrej Sosenka
    Not to diminish Christian's result, but Fabian Cancellara averaged 51.4 km/h in the penultimate stage (Stage 19) of this year's TdF (52 km only, so obviously a much shorter distance than Christian's).

Solo or with the pack?

The interesting thing is this is a older guy and it's a production trike NOT something designed for an event (like the speed record Varnas). People commute on this, it has lots of luggage capacity. It's really a pedal-powered car.

What would be fun would be to have a world-class rider try it.