Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010 edited

bikingbill:Solo or with the pack?
    Solo - individual tIme trial stage.

No doubt about it - the Milan is an incredible bike, and Christian an incredible rider!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010

This is a pretty tricked out touring trike. Note the dual dynamo hubs:

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010 edited

Njord Noatun:
    bikingbill:Solo or with the pack?
    Solo - tIme trial stage.

No doubt about it - the Milan is an incredible bike, and Christian an incredible rider!

The Milan weighs in at 75lbs.

I could deal with it. It's only 40lbs more than the current bike and I've lost more than 40lbs since the start of 2009. It would be a conversation piece, that's for sure.
    Cruzbike Quest 451

Can be packed in a Samsonite 31" suit case

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2010

A foldable version of the famous Optima Baron recumbent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Interesting bikes. So it is possible to raise the dork factor even more by crossing a bent with a folding bike ;-)

But seriously, I would get a bent too if I could afford it. I want a tadpole too ever since I test rode a few, including a Catrike 700. But I would probably always prefer an underseat steerer. Those high handlebars just don't do it for me and scream DORK.

But of course I have no clue and experience so what do I know...
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

batmick:Interesting bikes. So it is possible to raise the dork factor even more by crossing a bent with a folding bike ;-)

But seriously, I would get a bent too if I could afford it. I want a tadpole too ever since I test rode a few, including a Catrike 700. But I would probably always prefer an underseat steerer. Those high handlebars just don't do it for me and scream DORK.

But of course I have no clue and experience so what do I know...

Almost ALL the trikes are under-seat steerers.

I rode (2 wheel) recumbents with under-seat steering from '94 to '99. It's super comfortable but on a 2-wheeler, a bit more drag.

So why not a FOLDING trike?

http://www.youtube.com/v/aqZ8-ytw6cY
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2010 edited

The StreetStrider is in a category of its own that's even stranger to me. But I thought of placing it here for now. What do you think? PS My wife surprised me with her new work out machine. At least it's not a bulky stationary thing. It's capable of indoor and outdoor use.

Transformation Trike. Clever design. Probably made in Portland,OR.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2010

I like that transformation trike, nicely done.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2010 edited

Fascinating to know how Elliptigo came to be. It's not for everyone but it is a great for cross training and moving about.

•  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2010 edited

GlideCycle.com
    This is one of those inventions that truly gives hope and mobility; it also quickens recovery :face-crying:
    Walking, contralateral exercise, is so essential to synchronizing the body and brain for optimal health.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2010

Well, that takes the World Geeky Title away from recumbents.

A useful device though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010

I want this:

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010

WOOT!

http://www.lightfootcycles.com/handcrankatc.php

The ATC model is a four-wheel cycle, designed to be capable of efficiently traveling both on pavement and cross-country off-road. It has large diameter wheels, optional high-floatation tires and an articulating frame to absorb the twists and bumps of rough terrain. The ATC can be configured as a handcycle, as a foot-pedaled cycle, or as a combined foot-and-hand-cranked cycle.

Sleek design on the QUEST. I want one too!

The QUAD is amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2010

The QUEST single looks very nice. Very freaking tempting and at my size, the weight of the trike isn't a big deal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010

RAAM: Bent Up Cycles Team:

brian itzaina:

That looks like it can break a world record with its AERODYNAMIC design.

I can also see other possible uses for that thing though. All it needs is a step nut for the back wheel to carry a passenger.:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010 edited

World Records Anyone?

May I present, the FASTEST woman in the world:

Barbara Buatois Bicycle World Speed Record 121.44 km/h (75.46 miles/h)

(No drafting, no hill ... pure speed)
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2010 edited

Hmmm....I learned something today.

2006 European Rowingbike Championships

From the inventor of the Rollerblade:
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2010 edited

Interesting...The gym equipment is becoming more mobile now. Step it up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2010

wow:

http://malricsworld.blogspot.com/2010/10/ka-gdf.html

The new Kouign Amann (3rd) is finally on its wheels after a very long work of concept and construction. It is built for 'Ice of Fire' and will be in the Grenoble area.

•  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2010 edited

That is absolutely stunning !

low center of gravity and long wheelbase makes it more stable on fast decents

Front wheel drive but I wonder how it adjusts for different size riders...
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Custom made. Some adjustment on the seat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

It is pretty but the front wheel drive and steering seems cumbersome. How do you make a sharp turn while still pedaling?
    Or is this mostly meant for going straight (fast)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Mark has some experience riding this sort of FWD. I rode a different style FWD bike for 5 years. That bike had a fixed boom with the chain running thru pulleys. Turns were somewhat limited, but not enough to matter.
    I ride a Cruzbike front wheel drive. Here's a turning demo
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2010

I see. That is a pretty good turning radius.

But that Cruzbike has a much shorter wheelbase and higher seating position than that Kouign. And, no offense, it is sinfully ugly imho.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2010 edited

The Cruzbike is derived from the designs of Tom Traylor of Los Angeles. Tom is an amazingly fast rider for his age.

http://traylor_fwd.home.mindspring.com/

Here's one of Tom's faster machines:

(Hey, who's that guy with the enormous tail fairing in the background :-) )

And a more practical design:

I've never had the coordination to master most pivoting bottom bracket bikes, but Tom's and Cruzbike's designs seem to work very well. Cruzbike is doing nicely on the longer distance time trial events.
    Look Ma, no legs!

Tricia Downing on here handcycle racing trike
    As an elite road and track cyclist, Trish Downing “gave back” to the community by volunteering her cycling skills as a pilot for visually impaired riders. Little did she know that an accident in the Fall of 2000 would put her on the other side of the equation.

Trish was training in Golden, CO when she was hit by a car and suffered a T-4 spinal injury. Her back was broken, but not her spirit. Trish’s experience working with challenged athletes gave her faith that everything would be okay. From her hospital bed, Trish wrote out her first grant request to CAF – for a handcycle that would get her back on the road … and back into life. Trish understands that her accident was not an end, but a new beginning. And what a new beginning it has been. Trish was named USA Triathlon’s Physically Challenged Athlete of the Year for 2003. -- www.challengedathletes.org
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010

A great story but I am amazed at how readily we accept the car-nage we see on the roads.

Strict Liability. We have to get this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2010

Anne is riding an ICE Adventure 2fs across the Himalayas from Tajikistan to Tibet, tackling some of the most remote and inhospitable roads around Anne’s trips show what can be done on a trike.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=27109&id=104401569598105

With trikes, you can really put awkward and heavy loads without worrying about balance.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010 edited

I saw a Bigha recumbent bike upclose today at north muscle beach in Santa Monica. Interesting bike because it resembles a BikeE

• CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010 edited

.... (edited for content)...
    • CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010

bikingbill:The ATC model is a four-wheel cycle, designed to be capable of efficiently traveling both on pavement and cross-country off-road. It has large diameter wheels, optional high-floatation tires and an articulating frame to absorb the twists and bumps of rough terrain. The ATC can be configured as a handcycle, as a foot-pedaled cycle, or as a combined foot-and-hand-cranked cycle.http://www.lightfootcycles.com/Images-2/atcconestop.jpg

Put an internal hub on that, as well as a front wheel cog and that thing would be beyond cool. I used to drive a Jeep that was a mild rock crawler (for those that might know: a 98TJ w/4.10 gears, F&R ARBs, D30/D44, flat skid, full cage, 4 inch susp w/1inch body, 1 motor, sun sliders and a few other things) and rock crawling was fun.. It'd be kickbut to have a ridable version of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010

markphilips:I saw a Bigha recumbent bike upclose today at north muscle beach in Santa Monica. Interesting bike because it resembles a BikeE

Founded by people from BikeE. Got into litigation with Giant, who was owed $$$ by BikeE.

Winner of the "Heaviest Aluminum Bike" award.

BikeE is an interesting story. There were at many bike shops. Most successful recumbent company by the late 1990's.

What happened is they decided to do a tandem, got into warranty issues and some injury lawsuits, and went out of business.

I call that De-Worst-ification.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010

Just snagged this on Craigslist as a 'guest' bike:

Fits me (6' 3"). Fits my GF (5' 2"). Must have less than 100 miles on it.
    How does the SRAM shifter shift after being stored in the garage for who knows how long?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010

markphilips:How does the SRAM shifter shift after being stored in the garage for who knows how long?

The grip shifts are ok. The 3 speed was mis-adjusted, but that was fixed in seconds. I used Chain-L #5 on the chain and the derailler shifts nicely.

I tested it by riding up a steep grade.

I'm guessing this sat around for over 5 years.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010 edited

It's sad that people buy something like this to keep them active and healthy but eventually succumb to the daily rigors of driving life which leads to chronic degenerative diseases due to lack of movement. (That's a lond winded sentence). I see it even with e-bikes, folding bikes, regular bikes, indoor trainers. The roads are too dangerous for people to play and enjoy but then again we're all in this together. We create the environment, we suffer the consequence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2011

Funny video:

•  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2011

Dang! Somebody is selling a Catrike Road for just $200 on CL.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/2150775493.html

I am so tempted but know my wife would kill or leave me if I got it... Sigh :face-crying::face-crying:
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2011

batmick:Dang! Somebody is selling a Catrike Road for just $200 on CL.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/2150775493.html

I am so tempted but know my wife would kill or leave me if I got it... Sigh :face-crying::face-crying:

I may do this. I wanted a trike to build a Velocar body for. I'll see how trashed it is.
    Great find. The price is right, and the rust is easy to get rid off. Kinda like the BikeE you found last month. I'm tempted even just to strip off the parts but I just bought Protorio's BF Tikit. I will pass on this one. Let me know how it looks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011

Gone. Didn't even get a reply.

What I REALLY need is a good Recumbent Tandem. Like a RANS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2011

i couldnt stop thinking about that bike all weekend! glad its gone... i have, but dont really have the money for it... and that surely is a temptation!