Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2011

An Actionbent tadpole for sale on CL right now for $500. Just thought I'd out it in case you missed it.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/2240303821.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2011

Smallest Recumbent Trike?

•  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2011 edited

I wonder which gym equipment will show up on the road? I love HPVs!

Here is the 3G Stepper:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011

That's a cool freaking road in the 2nd video ...

And that South Beach Biker in the last video? I'll bet she has NO problems with motorists.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2011

I should really build one of these:

Race ya!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2011

markphilips:Race ya!

Friend of mine in OC owns one of these. It's his car.

Me? I want this:

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2011

Fast Race in Holland:

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2011

More racing:

Spotted at cicLAvia (4-10-2011). These angelanos were wondering how they could "pimp" their ride like this
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2011

A Go-One I think. Expensive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2011

•  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2011

It is back. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/2437915292.html

Looks like the buyer did not have the means and know-how to revive the bike.

Go for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2011

batmick:It is back. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/2437915292.html

Looks like the buyer did not have the means and know-how to revive the bike.

Go for it.

Crap, now I don't have the spare $$$ to do this ... going on a vacation this week and need it.

It's a good machine and I have the tools to fix it up.
    StreetStrider in transport mode
    Folded StreetStrider

Took it for a long ride in Crowne Point and Pacific Beach
    StreetStrider in Pacific Beach

I sold the the 3 spd Street Strider above the next day. I still have the 8 speed Nexus hub model, though.:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2011 edited

Yesterday I saw a tourer on very unusual bicycle - unfortunately, I was unable to get a picture of it: It appeared to be a combination upright / recumbent bicycle; kind of like the one below, but not a tandem (I think - I was unable to inspect it in any detail).

Does anybody have any clues as to what I saw (I had not been drinking, and there were others with me who witnessed the exact same thing)?

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2011

The current bike like this is a Hase Pino ...

http://hasebikes.com/148-1-tandem-pino-allround.html

Back in the 1990's, there was a company in Seattle called Counterpoint that made a bike called Opus:

•  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2011 edited

Bilenky Viewpoint Tandem

it has the folding boom
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2011 edited

Sigurd:Yesterday I saw a tourer on very unusual bicycle - unfortunately, I was unable to get a picture of it: It appeared to be a combination upright / recumbent bicycle; kind of like the one below, but not a tandem (I think - I was unable to inspect it in any detail).

Does anybody have any clues as to what I saw (I had not been drinking, and there were others with me who witnessed the exact same thing)?

It's a very impressive invention with an adjustable boom (front chainring mount) for diverse rider heights. A collapsible option is available. T-rikes in Escondido is a dealer and may have a demo model.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2011

I guess what I saw must've been one of those "combi bent" tandems ridden solo, after all - it went by pretty quickly: Five thousand dollars, eh?

Thanks, Bill and Mark.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2011

New HPV "One Hour" world record: 91.595 km: That's 57mph for one hour, folks!

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2011

The bike ridden has the rider facing backwards for aero reasons:

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2011 edited

Specials depart at PBP

•  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2011 edited

Performance Bicycles had Eliptigo demos. So we test rode the 8C model.
    It felt like running, jogging, walking, gliding, and cycling all in one cross trainer.
    It felt more efficient and less than a workout to ride than the StreetStrider
    I could go on a long ride with this for sure. Now where do I put a rack and pannier...
    BiciTaxi in Mexico City! My hosts asked me if I wanted to take a ride in one. I said, "No! I want to get a job as a BiciTaxista!"
    Mexico City BiciTaxi
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011 edited

There maybe few interested bikey folks on this forum that may be interested in this. So I posted this here instead of the local event thread. I may take the family trip on Sunday Oct 23rd when they open the doors to the public.

The Recumbent Cycle-Con Convention & Trade Show is being held October 21 - 23, 2011, in Southern California at the Pomona Fairplex near Los Angeles, California.

The three-day Recumbent Cycle-Con event will feature two Trade Days devoted to the recumbent industry (Friday, October 21, and Saturday, October 22), and one day devoted to recumbent cycle enthusiasts and the general public (Sunday, October 23).

The two Trade Days will provide a marketplace for companies to promote their products directly to the recumbent industry, and to facilitate the exchange of information about new products, marketing concepts and techniques. The two Trade Days will also feature informative and educational dealer seminars and workshops, giving manufacturers and suppliers the opportunity to provide training and hands-on experience to their dealers. Additionally, recumbent dealers will have the opportunity to try out all the newest bikes on the Outdoor Demo Riding Arena, located conveniently adjacent to the exhibit hall. In addition to all the major recumbent cycle manufacturers, accessory manufacturer and suppliers will be exhibiting all the latest equipment designed to enhance the recumbent cycling experience.

On Sunday, October 23, the gates will be opened to the public, giving recumbent enthusiasts and the general public the chance to see the exciting new recumbent cycles and accessories from all the major manufacturers and suppliers. In addition to the opportunity to chat directly with factory representatives, recumbent enthusiasts will also have the opportunity to see and ride the newest recumbent cycles in the Recumbent Cycle-Con's secure Outdoor Demo Riding Arena, free of any vehicular traffic.

The Fairplex is a state-of-the-art exhibition facility located just thirty miles east of downtown Los Angeles, and is the ideal location for the recumbent industry and enthusiasts to gather. It is 'freeway close' to millions of California consumers, and has two international airports nearby. Exhibitors will include the major manufacturers of recumbent bicycles and tricycles, along with manufacturers and distributors of cycling equipment and accessories.

Our headquarters hotel, the Sheraton Fairplex, is located right on the Pomona Fairplex grounds, with special room rates available to exhibitors, dealers and attendees. Click the link above to go to the reservations page.

The Recumbent Cycle-Con Convention & Trade Show is a production of rtrmag.com.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2011 edited

El Arbol Quadricycle: It's a tree shaped tall and recumbent tandem with an integrated 1500 Watt pedaled power P.A. that has a unique stabilizing and/or parking wings.
    Coold video of weird bikes
    Just picked this up off CL. Worksman folding trike with 3 speed nexus. Needs work but it was only $20. Now I'll have a new cargo bike project.

Here's a recumbent on Craig's List: 2010 Bacchetta Giro 26 (Large) $950 firm.

Is this a decent bike and price?

OKB
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011

Old Knotty Buoy:Here's a recumbent on Craig's List: 2010 Bacchetta Giro 26 (Large) $950 firm.

Is this a decent bike and price?

OKB

This is basically my bike, it is the Recumbent I recommend most often. I modded my bike to use the Giro's fork.

If you fit on this, it's an excellent choice. You are not sitting lows it's fast and it's suitable for commuting and touring.

If it's in decent shape, I'd go for it. Wish I could buy it for when my son visits.
    Anybody know who makes or where I could find a 20" Threaded fork with a 170mm Steerer tube length? The fork on the trike is a bit bent, still rideable but I'd probably want to replace it one of these days, I got a BMX fork off a buddy but the tube is only like 120mm so that wont work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

sykkelspruce:Anybody know who makes or where I could find a 20" Threaded fork with a 170mm Steerer tube length? The fork on the trike is a bit bent, still rideable but I'd probably want to replace it one of these days, I got a BMX fork off a buddy but the tube is only like 120mm so that wont work.

http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/frame/forks/fork.html
    BikingBill,

Thanks for the feedback on the Bacchetta Recumbent bike. I really have no first hand experience and was just kicking the tires so to speak. With the lively discussions about this, that and the other thing on this thread and others, I thought I could get a little schooling on relative values and ideas about what works and doesn't.

As much as I might like to give this type of cycling a go, it really is way out of my league and price range. I just need to ride what I have more often and keep rollin'.

Thanks again,

OKB
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

Old Knotty Buoy:As much as I might like to give this type of cycling a go, it really is way out of my league and price range. I just need to ride what I have more often and keep rollin'.
    On occasion, you can score a used 'bent bike. Last year I picked up a used BikeE with rear suspension, deluxe seat and every other upgrade for $500 at a garage sale. it was in like-new condition. Not anything compared to Bill's ride but an excellent "foot in the water". Slow as continental drift, but unbelievably comfortable... even going on bumpy trails and down curbs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

sykkelspruce:Just picked this up off CL. Worksman folding trike with 3 speed nexus. Needs work but it was only $20. Now I'll have a new cargo bike project.

Looks like we'll have an interesting "haul-in picnic" next time, with all the variety of utility bikes being picked up!
    Thanks for the link bill.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Regarding the Bacchetta and the BikeE. I own both bikes and the Bacchetta's handling is vastly superior. If your cranking up a hill at 3mph or less, or bombing down a hill at 50mph ... It's solid. It also is the best climbing recumbent I have owned, since I started with these in 1994. The frame doesn't rob you of power.
    sykkelspruce:Anybody know who makes or where I could find a 20" Threaded fork with a 170mm Steerer tube length? The fork on the trike is a bit bent, still rideable but I'd probably want to replace it one of these days, I got a BMX fork off a buddy but the tube is only like 120mm so that wont work.

Nice trike sykkelspruce. Worksman's Cycles Port-o-Trike parts can still be ordered from the manufacturer. Below is a link to the parts list

linker: http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/2011partspricelist.pdf
    item153 FORK:20" X 1.75 FOR FOLDING BIKE & PORTOTRIKE $ 43.00
    Thanks mark, that's likely the route I'll go. Just got most the rust off today with the aluminum foil trick going to size out some wood to build a trunk type setup with a closing lid. Anybody have ideas for a cheap front rack that may fit? Wheelies are fun but probably not the best way to travel so I figure I should have something to disperse weight on the front.

I really like that rack on the one you had at the swap hans, I saw a small one by Basil something or another so maybe something like that? I figure i can roll on the current fork for a bit until all the cargo stuff is added then I'll order a replacement through WM. What do you guys think for a front rack?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011

sykkelspruce:Thanks mark, that's likely the route I'll go. Just got most the rust off today with the aluminum foil trick going to size out some wood to build a trunk type setup with a closing lid. Anybody have ideas for a cheap front rack that may fit? Wheelies are fun but probably not the best way to travel so I figure I should have something to disperse weight on the front.

I really like that rack on the one you had at the swap hans, I saw a small one by Basil something or another so maybe something like that? I figure i can roll on the current fork for a bit until all the cargo stuff is added then I'll order a replacement through WM. What do you guys think for a front rack?
    I'll be upsetting some people, I'm sure, but I have to laugh when I see large racks mounted to the forks, over the front wheel, mounted flat, extending well in front of the axle. Physics are against you in every case. Even empty, they're awkward. My Bakkersfiets has a very lazy rake on the fork (pushing the axle forward and slowing the steering) and has the rack tilted back, shifting the weight back. Designed as a "Baker's Bike" it not intended for heavy loads. Slagersfietsen (Butcher's Bikes) will have a short wheel up front, and more often than not, the rack mounted to the frame. This way the weight doesn't swing around when you steer. The CycleTruck I have is essentially an American Butcher's Bike. With a full size (26") wheel in back and a 20" wheel in front. With the rack mounted to the frame, it's cargo rating is 150lbs. Shorter wheels are stronger, and using beefy spokes and a thick sidewall tires make this possible. I've carried 140lbs on the front of my Bakkersfiets, but she was too scared to say anything.
    I would suggest a frame mounted rack for the front. I don't know what kind of workshop you have, but if you needed to out-source it, I could make a detachable one (so you can still fold for transporting) that accepts a basket and could also be converted to a child seat mount without much effort. I've done this in the past.
    As for the fork... I'd go with a BMX unit. That stock one bent for a reason, and it doesn't even have a front rack!

Thinking we should move this to the cargo bike thread, although we're talking a trike application
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

That's cute!
    Thanks for the info hans, I may have to get with you about building a rack here soon. Not sure I have the space/tools to do it myself.
    Is that a Worksman Cycle Truck?
    Do you guys think a fork like this would work?

http://www.amazon.com/Redline-Fork-165mm-Threaded-Black/dp/B0029LBPX4

I'm assuming the 165mm it's the steer tube right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

No brake bosses.
    http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/2693596425.html

Here is another recumbent for sale. Lord help me, I'm starting to gain an interest in these things! Anyway, I guess I'm hoping for more feed back on this particular bike; overall worthiness and relative value I guess. Is the low steering an issue or are higher handlebars better?

Thanks for any help with this.

OKB
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011 edited

That was the first recumbent I owned.

Bottom line? Pass at that price.

The seat sucks and the handling will take time to get used to (it's just different). The BikeE is a better pick.

I was lucky to score a used RANS seat in 1994, one of the best seats ever, for $75. I commuted on this from 1994 to 1999.

My tricked out S&B: