Not signed in (Sign In)
    @OKB: Alan's bicycles in Oceanside has several LWB recumbent bikes. I'd say test ride a few.
    T-rikes in Escondido may have recumbent bikes and trikes that's worth checking out as well.
    Keep in mind parts availability whenpurchasing used recumbents.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011

bikingbill:...Bottom line? Pass at that price....The BikeE is a better pick...
    Wow!!! Here, I took a glance at the ad just now and thought it was the bargain of the year! Not a fan of the under-leg steering, but could modify that in a few hours. Shows what I know about these! In the mean time, I'll still be here, absorbing the knowledge from a guy who coasted past me, going uphill on PCH last year!
    Yup. Those Bacchetta's were designed by an aircraft company.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

markphilips:Yup. Those Bacchetta's were designed by an aircraft company.
    And the first airplane was invented by a bicycle company.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

If I were going to rate these recumbents on a scale of 1 to 100

S&B: 30
    BikeE: 40
    Bacchetta Giro 26: 90

I own two of them (Bacchetta and the BikeE). I owned the S&B (30,000+ miles). The Bacchetta feels more like a road bike than any of them. It's that good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

markphilips:Yup. Those Bacchetta's were designed by an aircraft company.

More complex that that.

RANS IS an aircraft company that builds recumbents.

Bacchetta was founded by one of the founders of RANS.

Technically I own a RANScchetta ... as I have a RANS seat on my Bacchetta. I need it for my size.
    bikingbill:
    Old Knotty Buoy:Here's a recumbent on Craig's List: 2010 Bacchetta Giro 26 (Large) $950 firm.

Is this a decent bike and price?

OKB

@bikingbill: The back rest can be moved forward for a more upright sitting position right? I remember seeing that Bacchetta last year at TdF
    Hans:
    Old Knotty Buoy:As much as I might like to give this type of cycling a go, it really is way out of my league and price range. I just need to ride what I have more often and keep rollin'.
    On occasion, you can score a used 'bent bike. Last year I picked up a used BikeE with rear suspension, deluxe seat and every other upgrade for $500 at a garage sale. it was in like-new condition. Not anything compared to Bill's ride but an excellent "foot in the water". Slow as continental drift, but unbelievably comfortable... even going on bumpy trails and down curbs.

Affter I tightened the front (bottom) bracket and putting high pressure Primo Comet tires at the back. It actually rides very fast and nimble.
    Thanks everyone (Bill, Hans, Mark et al) for all your feedback and suggestions.

@Bill; thanks for the relative ratings. That helps for sure from an experienced rider of recumbents.

@Mark; I like the idea of trying a few recumbent's out and seeing how they feel. Thanks for the heads up on the LBS that offer them.

@ Hans; I came across the SOMA web site and their Cycle Truck frame that they offer. You might get some ideas for mounting a "frame fixed" rack to the "truck" you're working on (and sykkelspruce as well).

I like the comments about the bike builders from aircraft builders - aircraft from bike builders etc. A very Virtuous Cycle!

OKB
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

markphilips:
    bikingbill:
    Old Knotty Buoy:Here's a recumbent on Craig's List: 2010 Bacchetta Giro 26 (Large) $950 firm.

OKB

@bikingbill: The back rest can be moved forward for a more upright sitting position right? I remember seeing that Bacchetta last year at TdF

Yes, quite a bit in fact. I don't ride that reclined.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2011 edited

Yeah I like riding a bit more upright. Here's a nice Blue Bacchetta 26 listed on ebay

•  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2011 edited

Just wanted to post the details for future reference

OKB

2010 Bacchetta Giro 26 (Large) 950 firm

Excellent condition (few scratches), less than 1200 miles

Purchased third bike and need to make room in the garage.

"The Giro 26 was introduced in 2005 and became an instant recumbent bicycle classic. It's the perfect solution for recumbent riders that love the dual 26" recumbent format for commuting and hardcore touring, but want room for fatter tires and fenders not found on its roadie brethren. This bent is all about taking on life day to day; a great ride and an even greater value for 2010."

Frame:
    Bacchetta Custom Ovalized Cro-Moly, w/Disc Brake Tab

Fork: Bacchetta Cro-moly, w/Disc Brake Tab
    Seat: Bacchetta ReCurve
    Bag: Bacchetta Bag
    Handlebar: Bacchetta Aluminum "Tweener"
    Stem: Bacchetta "B-Pivot" Adjustable Stem
    Rear Derail: SRAM X5
    Front Derail: Microshift R439 SS
    Shifters: SRAM X5
    Crankset: FSA/Tempo 52/42/30T
    Back Bracket: FSA, square
    Headset: FSA Orbit-X, 1" Threadless
    Cassette: SRAM PG950 11-34t, 9spd
    Front Brake: Avid Single Digit 5
    Rear Brake: Avid Single Digit 5
    Back Levers: Avid FR-5
    Front Wheel: Alex DA16, 26" (559) w/sealed bearing disc hubs
    Rear Wheel: Alex DA16, 26" (559) w/sealed bearing disc hubs
    Front Tire: Kenda Kwest, 26" x 1.25"
    Rear Tire: Kenda Kwest, 26" x 1.25"
    Chain: KMC Z9000
    Pedals: Crank Bros
    BB Height: 33"
    Seat Height: 25" mid range
    Wheelbase: 46"
    Weight: 33.5 lbs w/ReCurve seat and w/out Pedals
    Weight Limit: 275 lbs.**
    Gear Range: 23.5-118"
    Color: Ferrari Red
    Frame Size: Large
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2011

1200 miles? I'm tempted to buy this for my son.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2011

bikingbill:1200 miles? I'm tempted to buy this for my son. That way he can get the chicks the same way as dear ol' dad did in the 70's
    Who would have thought?:face-monkey:
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2011

That is a cool design.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2011

bikingbill:That is a cool design.
    Thought you would. I like it for a number of reasons... the frame design would absorb shock, low CG, the u-joint in the steering eliminates "swing" in the steering, it aesthetically flows and puts you "in" the shape. and although the wheelbase limits its maneuverability, it looks like it would be comfortable. A sleeve coupling in the center would make it easier to transport. I may have one in my future.
    Had some stuff laying around and a few friends and I thought it was too funny to not do so this was what I did this morning. I just ordered another set to add in there also, should be fun for critical mass or something. ha.

Added some lights to the trike, just some cheap dollar store lights but they do the trick.

•  
      CommentAuthorKathy
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011

That is so cool! I want one! Unfortunately I can't imagine pedalling that up the hill to get away from my house. *sigh*
    Are the speakers battery powered?
    Kathy:That is so cool! I want one! Unfortunately I can't imagine pedalling that up the hill to get away from my house. *sigh*
    Are the speakers battery powered?

Thanks. Yes they are, I had these laying around and finding a decent second pair to order was a bit of a pain. These are running off 3 aaa batteries. The others coming are 4 aa batteries I think. They sound okay nothing amazing.

I took this one up hill the other day, not too bad with the nexus hub but it did lift up here and there. It's a pretty fun little bike.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2011

OC Quest Velomobile Rider gets slowed down by those pesky trucks and cars:

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2011

Faster for him today ... 59mph:

•  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2011 edited

His Tricycle Driving is amazing to watch.video
    The Death Valley double century is more amazing as he passed by a several pacelines. The paceline should have hitched behind him. The Quest mobile is slick!video
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2011 edited

So a fellow bikecommuter is contemplating whether to go to Denmark except that it will be 3 months of winter. She might get one of these for the winter commute
    Streetstrider has a new meetup group. Wanna workout with them? :face-angel:
    bikingbill:
    batmick:It is back. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/2437915292.html

Looks like the buyer did not have the means and know-how to revive the bike.

Go for it.

Crap, now I don't have the spare $$$ to do this ... going on a vacation this week and need it.

It's a good machine and I have the tools to fix it up.

Which Recumbent Trike was it? After watching this video of a home made chloroplast body. I want to make one.

And on this side of the pond (somewhere in New Jersey): a mini - mini cooper that's green
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2011

Very cheap ($150) bent on CL right now. Too small for me, though

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/2714245797.html

I have heard the name Haluzak before. Is this a good bike?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

batmick:Very cheap ($150) bent on CL right now. Too small for me, though

That is a very well made bike and a really good deal ($150). Suitable for a smaller rider.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2011 edited

The photo was very cluttered. I couldn't see the bike at all. So I looked it up online. So it could like the photo below. It was custom made in Santa Rosa, CA until 2007. I like the upright position and adjustable boom.

American engineering and craftsmanship. WOW! (we really need a drool emoticon shortcut on this forum)

And ride like this

there is a Rans Rocket SWB for sale in OB
    There is an elderly lady in Cardiff who rides a Haluzak triumf trike like the photo below. Usually, you'll see her glide along PCH.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips

Here's another good one with the Cane Creek rear suspension, 3x7 SRAM hub, and a rear bag that can haul quite a bit of stuff.
    http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/bik/2712839285.html

Bike E Recumbent Bicycle - $250 (Chula Vista)
    Date: 2011-11-20, 3:45PM PST
    Reply to: sale-xcea9-2712839285@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    Bike E is a short wheel base recumbent bicycle. The compact model is more easily transported than long wheelbase models. The riding position eliminates neck strain and the thickly padded seat is appreciated on long rides. The seat adjusts on the main frame to accommodate any leg length. The seat can also be quickly removed from the frame for transport. The specifications are: weight, 40 pounds as equipped; color, metallic blue; wheelbase, 52 inches; front tire, 15 inches; rear tire, 20 inches; speeds, 21 from a 7 sprocket derailleur and a 3 speed internal rear hub; shifters, Sram twist type; seat, 2.5 inch thick foam; seat back, aluminum tube frame with mesh cloth; rear suspension, air shock; accessories include carrier bag, water bottle frame, and mirror. This bike is mechanically sound but has superficial scratches and a 2-inch rip on one side of the seat fabric. Reply by email or phone 619 421-8493.

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

The build quality on the Haluzak is excellent
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips

markphilips:@OKB: Alan's bicycles in Oceanside has several LWB recumbent bikes. I'd say test ride a few.
    T-rikes in Escondido may have recumbent bikes and trikes that's worth checking out as well.
    Keep in mind parts availability whenpurchasing used recumbents.

When temptation gets a hold of you. Take out your camera or camera phone and take lots of pictures. Then post it here. Then you can recount that experience without spending any $$$$. Then we can post more info from the web or somebody may have some experience with it. I call it appreciate, enjoy, and let go that was something I learned from a Feng Shui de-clutter CD but that's another story. :face-angel:
    @bikingbill: What's the ride feel of this Bachetta with the smaller front wheel compared to the bigger wheel. I would say more road vibrations with the small wheel. Thoughts?

Bachetta Giro Recumbent - $575
    Date: 2011-11-17, 10:06AM PST
    Reply to: sale-u4mdq-2707392135@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    Bacchetta Gito Recumbet with xtras such as Disc Brake Conversion, Lowrider Panniers and rack and Cycling Computer In good condition and ready to enjoy Please call (909) 319-3594 for additional info or questions. Asking $575.00

•  
      CommentAuthorHans

batmick:Very cheap ($150) bent on CL right now. Too small for me, though

I emailed him for more info. I have a site inspection in MiraMar tomorrow, so would like to stop in Encinitas before or after. He said he call me in the morning. I'm under 6' so it should work. I mean really... for $150 isn't it a steal?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

@Hans

Go for it! I would have taken it right away for that price but alas I am 6'4".

Fingers crossed for you. Keep us posted.
    Yeah! It is a steal compared to another CL posting in LA. What time will you be in Encinitas?
    I'm free in the morning and working that afternoon.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips

I've been looking for a BikeFriday folding recumbent with under steering like this. These seldom appear on CL and Ebay but when it does it's over a grand. There's one on E-bay with the above steering and touring package. I can let it pass and still feel good about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

As soon as I hear from him, I'm good as there. My boss is pretty cool if it has to do with bicycles. I'll stay in touch. Pulling out the seats inside of my van tonight!
    Back to Back two wheel drive tandem. That is amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011 edited

Recumbent Cycle Con videos. It was held in Pomona,CA and missed it. Next year I plan to go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011

markphilips:@bikingbill: What's the ride feel of this Bachetta with the smaller front wheel compared to the bigger wheel. I would say more road vibrations with the small wheel. Thoughts?

Bachetta Giro Recumbent - $575
    Date: 2011-11-17, 10:06AM PST
    Reply to: sale-u4mdq-2707392135@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    Bacchetta Gito Recumbet with xtras such as Disc Brake Conversion, Lowrider Panniers and rack and Cycling Computer In good condition and ready to enjoy Please call (909) 319-3594 for additional info or questions. Asking $575.00

Haven't ridden it. Will ride a bit harsher.

It maybe be a converted dual 26" machine. I'd ask.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011

So Hans, did you get it? Or was it a heap of junk?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

markphilips:I've been looking for a BikeFriday folding recumbent with under steering like this. These seldom appear on CL and Ebay but when it does it's over a grand. There's one on E-bay with the above steering and touring package. I can let it pass and still feel good about it.

I know a couple that has a Bike DoubleDay Recumbent. Yeah, a folding tandem recumbent. They made some noise about wanting to sell it, I gave them my card.

What they look like: http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=8091&stc=1&d=1248014893
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

batmick:So Hans, did you get it? Or was it a heap of junk?
    I love Craigslist, but I run into people who don't list their phone number, and don't get back to you very quickly. The seller replied to my initial email within hours, then I've sent three additional emails with no reply. Still trying. He has my mobile number.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011 edited

bikingbill:

I know a couple that has a Bike DoubleDay Recumbent. Yeah, a folding tandem recumbent. They made some noise about wanting to sell it, I gave them my card.

What they look like: http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=8091&stc=1&d=1248014893

Kirk from Kirk's Bike shop in Ramona had a Yellow Double Day recumbent tandem. He told me that he was going to hold on to the tandem but sold it eventually. The tandem splits in section and fits in two Samsonite travel cases. The Samsonite travel case also become a Travel trailer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

And another Horizon on CL for dirt cheap http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/2717635926.html

Must be "get rid of your bent" season.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011 edited

Flip it! Flip it good!:face-devil-grin: Go get 'em while it's hot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick

Trust me, I was contemplating it. But I am stuck at work today. :face-crying:
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

batmick:And another Horizon on CL for dirt cheap http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/2717635926.html

Must be "get rid of your bent" season.

- or - buy a Bacchetta season.

That's a nice deal and Mark, it's under the seat steering.