CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011

Left a message.... Tick, tick, tick
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011 edited

Left a message.... Tick, tick, tick

Cuckoo, cuckoo...
    Need to adjust the rear cones, brakes, deraileurs tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011 edited

Here are the new pedicabs in Bergen, Norway - they have battery-assist and aerodynamic design. Also, Bergen can get pretty wet (annual rainfall is 130% higher than that of Seattle, WA, for example), so both driver and passengers are covered. The windshield can be pushed back like a sunroof for those balmy, dry days.

The riding position appears somewhat recumbent-ish.

•  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011 edited

Hans:Left a message.... Tick, tick, tick

Cuckoo, cuckoo...

So you got it after all... Congratulations!

No major problems and you really got it for $150?

Good deal!
    Recumbent Trike: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/2718908954.html
    These bents just keep poping up.

OKB
    The first trike I've ridden. Had a blast just going around the parking lot like go-kart racing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011

There was an awesome deal on a CatTrike a few months ago, a much fancier trike.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011

batmick:
    Hans:Left a message.... Tick, tick, tick

Cuckoo, cuckoo...

So you got it after all... Congratulations!

No major problems and you really got it for $150?

Good deal!

This is the second one. $220, and it ended up needing a massive spoke tightening in the back, as well as a hub rebuild. Next on the list is replacing the worn out front sprockets (while also raising the gearing), and installing a faster front tire. I'd be more than happy to let you take this out for a spin, if you want to check out different styles of recumbents before making a purchase. So many variables. Short/long wheelbase, over/under seat steering, rigid/suspended. Heck, Mark even has a front wheel drive bike!
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011 edited

I took the Cruzbike for a longer relaxed ride last weekend to San Clemente (from Las Pulga)s. It was so comfortable that it always feel strange to ride my reguar steeds. Upgrades to the bike: New wheelset with Nexus 7 speed hub and dynamo hub, Forte chain tensioner, added a 39T front chainring, Ultegra front derailleur.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2011 edited

Racing down under ....

Velomobiles constructed out of the plastic I use for my cargo box.

Fun at 11:20 when he ignores the caution flags...
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2011 edited

That was an intense recumbent trike racing. Chloroplast body casing? The crash didn't even damage anything. Great bump karts!:face-devil-grin:
    This is probably the best video on a Bachetta. Go Pro!
    One of the most aerodynamic position on a bike. Why recline when you can do prone position? :face-devil-grin:

The stability advantage of a recumbent trike in hill climbing
    I said that recumbent trikes have certain hill climbing advantages over recumbent bikes and to a degree over all bikes. To begin with, trikes take all the anxiety out of hill climbing–anxiety caused by wobbling and by fears of falling down–and anxiety erodes performance. Steep and hard hills force bicyclists to wobble back and forth between ragged road edges and passing cars, and really severe hills raise the ignominious threat of failing to make the hill, of running out of gas, of failing to get a foot down, and of clattering to the pavement. I have seen road bikers and recumbent bikers do this, and I have come within a hair’s breadth of doing it myself (once on the Terminator!). But these matters are no problem with a trike. You don’t wobble, can’t fall down, and if you decide to stop half the way up the hill and eat a PowerBar, you can by God do it. No matter how hard the hill is, no matter how much you strain, you can still track up the hill tight to the edge of the road and as straight as a die. I experienced the trikes as a great relief. I hadn’t known how anxious bike hill climbing usually made me until I added a third wheel.

Related to the above, you can sometimes just take the hill off. Trikes can be geared much lower than bikes because they have no stability issues at very low speeds, so if you wish you can drop down in the gears, eat a snack, watch the buzzards circling in the sky, and just dawdle up the hill at slow walking speed. Then you can resume running at 20 mph or whatever suits you, ha, ha, but trikes offer the interesting possibility of ascending a hill at virtually no effort all. You can take a break and climb a hill at the same time.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2011 edited

Do you remember when you rode your first trike? Found a trike hand made in Oxnard, California

DIY Chopper Trike
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2011

I love that chopper trike.
    Having had our Streetstrider for two years just made working out more fun outdoors :face-angel:
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2012

Nice speed at 1:18

•  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2012

Very tempting deal on CL right now http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/2853532150.html

Maybe I should get that as my new commuter...

Problem is, it will not fit in my wife's car nor on the rack.
    That is a great deal! There must be a way to load it on a regular rear rack. Another option could be to use rstchet straps and secure the trike on the roof of a car. I'll peruse FLIR tonight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2012

batmick:Very tempting deal on CL right now http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/2853532150.html

Maybe I should get that as my new commuter...

Problem is, it will not fit in my wife's car nor on the rack.

WOW. That's a GREAT Trike brand.
    • CommentAuthortheboss
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012

I am a coach for US Paralympics and I am running a cycling camp for injured soldiers on March 3rd and 4th. We have a rider that is blind, but also has lower extremity injuries that do not allow him to ride an uprigth tandem bike. He has his own unique tandem bike wherein the captain/pilot rides in the front recumbent style, and Jason rides on the back and cranks it as a handcycle.

I am looking for someone that can be the tandem pilot for him, and I was wondering if anyone is interested in lending a hand, or if you know someone who might. Maybe this message could be posted on some sort of recumbent riders mailing list or something. I don't really know much about recumbents to be honest.

Please let me know if you are interested or if you have any more questions.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2012 edited

Met the designer of the GlideCycle yesterday at Balboa Park. Watch out San Diego GlideCycle is coming to town from Oregon.

IMG02343-20120226-1731

This would have been helpful when Gena injured her left knee that took over a year to heal. She lost a lot of muscle mass on the left leg due to little use and took another year to recover it.

On a more extreme level...Imagine being stuck in a wheel chair for 10 years....then somebody invented this (Glidecycle) to assist with balance....after some practice with this contraption your back on your feet and running as if you were on the moon. ANYTHING that makes somebody's life better is worth taking a closer look. It may not be for you but someone out there will benefit from it.

What is a GlideCycle™ ?

GlideCycle™ Body Unweighting
    Body Unweighting or partial weight bearing has been used by pro sports teams, elite athletes and competitive runners as a major key to performance enhancement, accelerated recovery from injury, and maintenance of high level conditioning for years. Now, GlideCycle™ brings the Body Unweighted running experience to Anyone Outdoors! Whether you are 12 years old or 85; in great athletic shape or deconditioned, impaired or overweight to even 350lbs, unweighting your body to .3 times the force of gravity will let you run as if you were on the moon...without the damaging and ego deflating post exercise pain and fatigue!

The Ultimate Cross-Training and Recovery Day Solution
    Your GlideCycle™ can bring to you: pain-free distance running, interval training, powerful hill climbing and recovery workouts by eliminating damaging impact to knees, hips, back and ankle joints. With GlideCycle™ cross-training you will have the ability to protect and maintain healthy joints for a lifetime of exciting unweighted running and exercise outdoors and still train for strength, endurance and aerobic capacity.

•  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2012 edited

We saw this parked outside a restaurant in Sacramento. Behold the Toaster bike built for two and the Big Tricycle with Trailer. The toaster quad bike is made for two!
    IMG02508-20120303-1636
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2012

Vintage HPV event from the early 1980's. Note who the narrator is.

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2012

Epic!

•  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012 edited

Taking a quick brake for my very first ascent to the inner incline of Torrey Pines hill on a loaded BikeE
    IMG02795-20120406-1224.jpg

I made it up with two more gears to spare. It definitely gave me a different workout using different muscles even though I appeared to be riding a moving lawn chair :face-monkey:
    IMG02799-20120406-1236.jpg:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012

The drink cup is a nice touch.
    Peanut butter passion with carob chips and spirulina smoothie from the JUICERS in Solana Beach.
    markphilips:There is an elderly lady in Cardiff who rides a Haluzak triumf trike like the photo below. Usually, you'll see her glide along PCH.

There she is!
    IMG02724-20120326-0957.jpg
    IMG02681-20120315-1606.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2012 edited

NOTE: THIS IS NOT MINE.

I saw this Cruz Bike SoftRider on CL. It's a different workout to ride. It engages your core muscles because of the moving crank and boom. Fun bike for flats and short inclines. There is a video in this thread showing how to ride one of these. Let me know if you get it. I can show you how.
    http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/2955144975.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2012

Crashing with style:

• CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2012

That was kind of funny... the little egg just keeps going its way after taking down a couple of spectators. :face-devil-grin:

markphilips:Met the designer of the GlideCycle yesterday at Balboa Park. Watch out San Diego GlideCycle is coming to town from Oregon.

IMG02343-20120226-1731

This would have been helpful when Gena injured her left knee that took over a year to heal. She lost a lot of muscle mass on the left leg due to little use and took another year to recover it.

On a more extreme level...Imagine being stuck in a wheel chair for 10 years....then somebody invented this (Glidecycle) to assist with balance....after some practice with this contraption your back on your feet and running as if you were on the moon. ANYTHING that makes somebody's life better is worth taking a closer look. It may not be for you but someone out there will benefit from it.

What is a GlideCycle™ ?

GlideCycle™ Body Unweighting
    Body Unweighting or partial weight bearing has been used by pro sports teams, elite athletes and competitive runners as a major key to performance enhancement, accelerated recovery from injury, and maintenance of high level conditioning for years. Now, GlideCycle™ brings the Body Unweighted running experience to Anyone Outdoors! Whether you are 12 years old or 85; in great athletic shape or deconditioned, impaired or overweight to even 350lbs, unweighting your body to .3 times the force of gravity will let you run as if you were on the moon...without the damaging and ego deflating post exercise pain and fatigue!

The Ultimate Cross-Training and Recovery Day Solution
    Your GlideCycle™ can bring to you: pain-free distance running, interval training, powerful hill climbing and recovery workouts by eliminating damaging impact to knees, hips, back and ankle joints. With GlideCycle™ cross-training you will have the ability to protect and maintain healthy joints for a lifetime of exciting unweighted running and exercise outdoors and still train for strength, endurance and aerobic capacity.

For the last two years my mother has been recovering from a surgery that left her paralyzed from the neck down. Little by little she has regained movement but walking by herself is still not possible. This seems like a good idea for people like that.
    Avoid the busy streets if you commute along the coast line. Bike/Surf/Swim on your way to work.:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012

that is SOOOOOOOOOO RAD! i wonder how well it would work in the ocean?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012

A Recumbent and an Elliptigo in this video:

•  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012 edited

That is a great video. Thanks for sharing. Over five minutes door to door is very impressive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012

markphilips:That is a great video. Thanks for sharing. Over five minutes door to door is very impressive.

Making the light at Encinitas Blvd is the key.
    Ride on the road for a bit then...

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2012

Why is this man smiling?

Because after several hundred miles on the road his body is not as soar as the other riders.

He probably got LAID last night.

He is justa LAID BACK bicycle racer

:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2012

Video: T Ryx Recumbent Trikes Ride 5-5-2012

Enjoy

Note: The fast ride over the bridge (slowed by traffic) at 1:45 was this Strava segment:

http://app.strava.com/rides/7923591#146412600

7 out of 55, 22.6mi/h
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2012 edited

I wonder if they would make a movie out of this as a sequel to the Flying Scotsman :face-devil-grin:

Graeme Obree, the Scottish cyclist, is building a bike on which he hopes to smash the world speed record and reach 100mph.

Graeme Obree plans to break the land speed record for pedal power on a home-made bicycle that he is building from recycled parts Photo: CHRIS WATT

Link to full article
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2012

WHY IS THIS MAN SMILING?

He managed to ride 270 miles in 24 hours:

http://www.ultraracenews.com/2012/05/15/making-the-tough-decision-john-schlitters-record-breaking-calvins-challenge/

Our Team Bacchetta RAAM racers finished 1,2 and 3 in the 50 to 59 recumbent category. Along with my 270, Kent Polk’s 268 ties the old recumbent record and Larry Ide’s rode a 248. We sure wish Jacquie Hafner our fourth rider would have been able to race, but she did make a smart decision to pass on Calvin’s to get healthy. We can now all focus on training for our RAAM race, check us out on www.teambacchettraam.com, racing for kids with arthritis!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2012

A 23.2 pound recumbent on The Bay right now. Gotta love the titanium! Sweet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-BACCHETTA-Titanium-Recumbent-Zip-404-/120919347290?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item1c275ad05a
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2012 edited

Aurélien Bonneteau
    NEW HOUR RECORD: 56.597Km/h
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2012

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2012 edited

Seen at the beach - a lowrider, front-wheel direct drive fixed gear, rear-wheel steering recumbent - note the steering /brake levers!
    :face-devil-grin: