Not signed in (Sign In)
    As seen on Craig's List:
    Bacchetta Giro 26 TT Recumbent
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2013

Good machine, price is a bit close to retail.
    Cruz Bike Vendetta

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2013

markphilips:Cruz Bike Vendetta

Very good rep., simple design. Some learning curve (pedal steer effect).
    • CommentAuthorShady John
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2013

Looking for some general recommendations: My sister is looking to get back into cycling, specifically for running errands around town (in bay area). She currently has an extracycle, but has some neck issues and really wants to get a recumbent. She tried a friend's Bike E and liked that. She has started checking out Craigslist for used recumbents, but isn't sure exactly what to look for. She would like it to have extracycle-like functionality; i.e. cargo carrying ability. I suggested a Bob trailer, since I can imagine that it will be difficult to get a cargo carrying recumbent without spending a fortune. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance---
    Could you show us a photo of her current bike?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2013

Shady John:Looking for some general recommendations: My sister is looking to get back into cycling, specifically for running errands around town (in bay area). She currently has an extracycle, but has some neck issues and really wants to get a recumbent. She tried a friend's Bike E and liked that. She has started checking out Craigslist for used recumbents, but isn't sure exactly what to look for. She would like it to have extracycle-like functionality; i.e. cargo carrying ability. I suggested a Bob trailer, since I can imagine that it will be difficult to get a cargo carrying recumbent without spending a fortune. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance---

Most decent Recumbents are very good at carrying cargo under the seat and/or behind it.

This is like an improved version of a BikeE:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/4074206605.html

$280. Nice Cargo Box.

Another EZ1: $275

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/4062117177.html

• CommentTimeSep 24th 2013

MarkPhilips: I don't have a photo, but she has an xtracycle attached to a rigid-fork Marin MTB. It looks something like this:

BikingBill: Thanks for the recommendations. Assuming they are in decent condition, do you think these EZ1 recumbents would be good for a new recumbent rider (~5'5" tall)? The prices seem pretty decent. I think she would be looking for more carrying space than the basket in the photo--do people ever set up a longer (cantilever) beam to support panniers or a bigger basket, hanging out the back of the bike? Maybe that would throw off the balance...
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2013

Shady John:\
    BikingBill: Thanks for the recommendations. Assuming they are in decent condition, do you think these EZ1 recumbents would be good for a new recumbent rider (~5'5" tall)? The prices seem pretty decent. I think she would be looking for more carrying space than the basket in the photo--do people ever set up a longer (cantilever) beam to support panniers or a bigger basket, hanging out the back of the bike? Maybe that would throw off the balance...

They should fit her, there's a lot of seat adjustment. They aren't fast, but they are a good design ... created by the late Gardner Martin (EasyRacers) and built by SUN.

Maybe a front basket and the rear basket would do the trick. It may be possible to have bags under the seat.

There are racks sold for this purpose.

There is also a trike based on the same design.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Shady John:MarkPhilips: I don't have a photo, but she has an xtracycle attached to a rigid-fork Marin MTB. It looks something like this:

markphilips:We rode SF Critical Mass and Tour de Fat with this cruiser setup. I found it much easier to balance and straddle since I did not have to get off the saddle. My wife has a knee injury and was not able to ride on our Tandem. So we rode back to back on the Snapdeck.

Riding on the Snapdeck on an Xtracycle

An Xtracycle makes a great semi-recumbent: remove the saddle and seatpost. Swing the stem 180 degrees (facing rider) and maybe put on long reach beach cruiser handle bars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

I've seen recumbent trikes with an Xtracycle add-on.

Take the lane and ride over anything.

Lightfoot Cycles

Due to a HUGE DEMAND we have re-introduced the ATC All Terrain Cycle and our ATO which is the ATC with oversized tires, 2 wheel drive and low gearing for climbing. Dave Nichols (ATO seen in picture) wrote: "Thank you for the outstanding job you did on my ATO. I cannot express, in words, the enjoyment I have had riding my cycle; it is truly an all-terrain-cycle!" Check it out at our website at http://www.lightfootcycles.com/archive/products/atc/
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2013

They are an awesome builder.
    Shady John --
    Looking for some general recommendations: My sister is looking to get back into cycling, specifically for running errands around town (in bay area). She currently has an extracycle, but has some neck issues and really wants to get a recumbent. She tried a friend's Bike E and liked that. She has started checking out Craigslist for used recumbents, but isn't sure exactly what to look for. She would like it to have extracycle-like functionality; i.e. cargo carrying ability. I suggested a Bob trailer, since I can imagine that it will be difficult to get a cargo carrying recumbent without spending a fortune. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance---

As seen on Craig's List:

Recumbent bike and trailer: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/4161943137.html
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2013

Thanks OKB. I passed it along. She actually bought a recumbent second hand and is looking to add her xtracycle to it. If that doesn't work, then I think the trailer is still an option. In either case, you're talking about a vehicle the length of a small car--it will take some getting used to.
    Another one showed up on Craig's List.

Actionbent recumbent bicycle
    http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/bik/4157587906.html

Any thoughts on the quality of this make? BikingBill?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2013

Old Knotty Buoy:Another one showed up on Craig's List.

Actionbent recumbent bicycle
    http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/bik/4157587906.html

Any thoughts on the quality of this make? BikingBill?

They have a decent rep., maybe not as good as the European brands (M5, Optima) but no huge issues. That price is good.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2013 edited

I saw this on CL and thought that it would make a great commuter. Got any spare change?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/4263161769.html
    Bachetta Giro 26 Touring Recumbent - $1799 (Poway)
    I built this bike for me to tour with, plans changed. If you are in the market for a recumbent for touring, it will be a long time before you see another equipped like this. This is a large frame fits 42"-51" x-seam. The Bachetta has been upgraded to Avid disk brakes with Avid levers, SRAM D7 dynamo front hub, Supernova E3 front and rear light, One Armed Bandit Light Mount, Terratrike mid racks, Bachetta rear rack, SRAM twist shifters, cateye water bottle cages, TerraCycle seat clamps and ADEM headrest. For convenience there is a kick stand and a chain tube to protect your pant leg. This bike has nearly every upgrade. Just add a front fender, your pedals and pannier bags and you're ready to ride a self-contained tour. Pedals not included.

Please don't try to negotiate price over the phone. If this ad is still here, the bike is still for sale. Respond by email with your phone number and I will call you back to set an appointment.
    If you think the Bachetta above is pricey...

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/bik/4232502708.html
    Greenspeed 2005 GTO $3200

See it in action here: http://youtu.be/IvqTqgPrhVw

This is a fast, durable and reliable machine ready to go around the world. Since buying it I've put around 1000 miles on it and it performed very well. I did the oil change procedure on the rear hub 800 miles ago.
    Frame:
    Greenspeed S & S coupled Chromoly steel
    Drivetrain:
    Shimano PD-M324 clipless pedals/Schlumpf mountain drive/SRAM 8 speed chain/ Rohloff Speedhub 500/14
    Brakes:
    Hope hydraulic disc
    Accessories:
    Headrest
    Rear Chromoly steel rack
    Arkel RT-40 Panniers with rain covers
    Mountain mirrycle mirrors
    I bought this trike to transition from upright to recumbent while waiting for delivery of my velomobile.
    Come by and check it out. I probably won't consider offers unless you, me, the trike and the money are all in one place.
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2013

As a complete aside, I'm really turned off by a Craigslist ad that proclaims "I won't take offers" or "don't even try to negotiate on the phone." It is an arrogant seller who can be sure his posted price is the right price, and he's chasing away potential buyers with statements like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2013

The Bacchetta is a great deal. It's similar to how I setup mine ... except I have the superior Rans seat for that all-day comfort :-) Seller does sound like a jerk.

The trike has a $1200 rear hub and the Mt. Drive front crank transmission. That's pretty slick.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2014 edited

Look NO HANDS!

Photo taken by Pomona Valley Bike Coalition staff (and posted on FB) from Recumbent CycleCon. Many Cycling Adaptive Solutions for specific needs.

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2014 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2014

Combine your love for rowing and biking with the ROWBIKE Sport 720

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/4287888108.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2014

There's a European row bike that has done quite well in events.

•  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2014

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2014

Picked up this, with about 300 miles on it, from a friend:

Since my Bacchetta has 24,000 miles on it, I think I'll get this setup nicely (considering 650B wheels) and sell off the old one.
    Just posted to Craig's List:
    Bacchetta Corsa S/S recumbent with EXTRAS!! - $1700 (Spring Valley)
    http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/bik/4352534031.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2014

Now this is innovative:

Pink Elliptigo. Pink is the new black.

Untitled
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2014

Elliptigos climb well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2014

Rotovelo ice hockey:

This elderly fellow was riding in Carlsbad for exercise while on his way to the coffee shop.

•  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2014

At least three of us on this forum can attest that this guy is a jackass. If you're going to ride one of these contraptions, you are just as dangerous to cyclists as a car. I don't think they belong in mass rides, but at least use some courtesy. He was a dick on Fiesta and off.

http://youtu.be/zCS8wvmvS4Y
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2014

So why didn't someone flick him? That's what happens to annoying riders on the race course. Just don't do it in front of the officials! It's called "Frontier Justice!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2014 edited

Paul:At least three of us on this forum can attest that this guy is a jackass. If you're going to ride one of these contraptions, you are just as dangerous to cyclists as a car. I don't think they belong in mass rides, but at least use some courtesy. He was a dick on Fiesta and off.

http://youtu.be/zCS8wvmvS4Y

That's a shame. The Quest is a nice machine. The OC rider who has one, does a bunch of the brevets and is a courteous rider. I don't know this fellow, but if I meet him ... I'll have to have a little talk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2014

Willie Hunt is a nice guy. I've been on brevets with him.

There were apparently two of these cars out at Fiesta and the guy who was a jerk is not the guy in the video. Apologies to him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2014 edited

Looking for a simple tandem for the wife and I when I get back to SD next week. Any recommendations? I'm resigned to the fact that I'll be doing most of the work and she's just along for the ride, so something that is simple, doesn't require much effort/experience from the stoker, and is focused on comfort over speed. Open to renting to just give the idea a try, so shop recommendations are welcome, too.
    You can rent tandem beach cruisers in PB. Also check Spinlister
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2014

Quick question to the recumbent folks--

My sister bought a second hand recumbent about a year ago and has learned a lot---she is currently looking to get a shorter wheelbase, more comfortable recumbent. She's circling around a 2005 Velotechnik grasshopper, non-folding, under seat steering, disc brakes, SON hub, recently serviced, Arkel panniers, overall good to very good condition from the photos and description. Asking price is $700. Looks like a good deal to me--but what do you all think of this particular bike? Are these twitchy or otherwise quirky? How easy is it to get used to underseat steering, and the relatively "high CG" of the short-wheelbase recumbents? Thanks for your help.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2014 edited

Shady John:Quick question to the recumbent folks--

My sister bought a second hand recumbent about a year ago and has learned a lot---she is currently looking to get a shorter wheelbase, more comfortable recumbent. She's circling around a 2005 Velotechnik grasshopper, non-folding, under seat steering, disc brakes, SON hub, recently serviced, Arkel panniers, overall good to very good condition from the photos and description. Asking price is $700. Looks like a good deal to me--but what do you all think of this particular bike? Are these twitchy or otherwise quirky? How easy is it to get used to underseat steering, and the relatively "high CG" of the short-wheelbase recumbents? Thanks for your help.

This is a very VERY good deal.

http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/ghp/details_e.html

New it's $ 2,895.00

Under Seat Steering may take some getting used to, but I loved it when I had it on my bikes from '94 to 2000. It's really the most comfortable steering for the bikes.

The bike should be anything but twitchy ... I'd get it.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2014 edited

Adaptive Sports Training and Physical Therapy and Rehab using a Glidecycle.
    Weightless Training - zero impact running, providing safer and more efficient endurance training
    Increased Core Activation - stabilizer muscles in core must work harder to provide power and stability
    Faster Recovery - recover from injuries 30-50% faster, rehab from any injury much faster
    It is a cross between biking and running. It uses a suspension/harnessing system to suspend the users weight, reducing ground force impact by 86%.

Sectional frame can be taken apart and placed in a bag for storage or transport.

You may have seen a Glidecycle in PB, Balboa Park, and other parts of San Diego.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2014

I swapped in the Rans seat onto the 'new' recumbent, and moved the Bacchetta ReCurve seat to my Strada.

The Rans seat is wider and you sit back more (more seat pad). I've done all my 200km brevets on that seat. It's simply more comfortable.

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2015

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2015

While looking for something else, I stumbled on this, a custom tandem where the rider on the front is recumbent, the rider in the back is upright and steering.

http://www.bilenky.com/#!viewpoint/cb9e

That Viewpoint is also bipartible which is a great option to have for a long bike
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2015 edited

Take the lane with this (Photos from Kyle Falconer at San Jose Bike Party)

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2015

needs more cowbell