Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010 edited

As the bike polo is now really starting to happen in San Diego i thought a thread to discuss it and post photos was needed.
    • CommentAuthorthom
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010

Not to be redundant, since I posted in a couple of other threads about it today, but here's another photo and the link again:

San Diego Bike Polo

San Diego Bike Polo
    • CommentAuthorHillbilly

Thanks for the thread Sky! :)

I'm not sure how much traffic it will get here for now, but I really hope people warm up to the idea and at least come check it out sometime. Other than the obvious goals of getting it to catch on and grow here in San Diego, I want to emphasize that my single biggest hope for it is that it will include ALL genres of cycling...anyone with any kind of bike is welcome. Polo is a great "sport" to bring people together in the cycling community and to hopefully bridge help to continue to bridge some of the gaps that a lot of us have experienced.

Thom - I think you got some nice shots, especially under the conditions. I hope to see you on Sunday to get some in the daylight!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam

Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a long winded SOB. But I struggle to put it into words, this bike polo thing. It's just, simple, plane fun. Intimidating at first, but over a few minutes, you get the hang of it, and it's fun. If anything, just to watch and cheer.
    • CommentAuthorHillbilly
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010

William's awesome polo write-up:

Bike Polo on BikeSD
    • CommentAuthorHillbilly
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2010 edited

Hey, just wanted to let everyone know that we (San Diego) are sending 2, possibly 3 teams to a polo tournament in Phoenix next weekend (2/20 - 2/21). We are hoping to send 3 teams but currently only have transportation for 2, so if anyone has a hookup for cheap van rentals or any other ideas, please let me know. It will be greatly appreciated.

We are still very young so we are going to have a lot of competition out there with teams coming from as far as Colorado, Missouri, and San Fran. However, none of us really care too much about that at this point - we are just psyched to play polo and hang out with a lot of other bike people for an entire weekend!

I'm excited to start getting connected with the polo community :face-smile:

• CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2010

Well no one showed up for the women's ride, so I decided to head over to 35th and Adams and check out Bike Polo. So I did. And I watched for a while. It looks like so much fun! I'm going to check it out again.
    • CommentAuthorHillbilly
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2010 edited

Hey, I haven't been on the forum as much lately but just wanted to say hi and that I'm glad that you stopped by Sam! I hope to see you out again sometime soon...maybe even get in on a game? We always take it easy on the new people...at least for a couple games :)

Edit: In case anyone is interested...a team from SD went out to Santa Fe last weekend for a tournament and we are taking a couple teams up to LA this weekend for a beginners tourney that should be a lot of fun.

Lastly - If anyone has any info on where to start with trying to find a permanent bike polo court here in the city or would like to help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2010

Bike polo, M&M's, aweful jingle, and crazy 80's style

• CommentAuthorProtorio

When we were kids we'd ride around the big blacktop playground at Kit Carson elementary, wielding baseball bats to pound on a soccer ball. No helmets, of course. The good old days of authentic childhood.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Protorio:When we were kids we'd ride around the big blacktop playground at Kit Carson elementary, wielding baseball bats to pound on a soccer ball. No helmets, of course. The good old days of authentic childhood.

I hear they have a video game for that now...
    • CommentAuthorzonal
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010

A few nights ago while riding on Park Blvd north of the park (if I remember correctly), I passed a large parking lot where six guys were playing bike polo under the streetlights.
    Having never seen it in person before, I pulled over and watched for a good ten minutes or so.
    Coolness.
    • CommentAuthorHillbilly

Haha, that m&m's commercial is hilarious...

^Glad you stopped to check it out the other night. I don't remember seeing you around, but I'm usually oblivous to a lot of things...Sorry I missed you! Did you say hi to anyone?
    • CommentAuthorthom

Don't forget that bike polo will also be featured at the Bike Union Picnic, rescheduled for Nov. 7th at 2:00pm at Trolley Barn Park. So if you're like zonal and have only watched from afar, this will be polo in your face. But hopefully not in your face.
    • CommentAuthorzonal
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2010

The game was ongoing so I simply observed from my stopped bike, Hillbilly. From the distance I was at I didn't recognize anyone, but it was hard to tell. Glad my bright neon yellow long-sleeve cycling jacket didn't distract - ha.

Thom is right - and for those so inclined, there's even a link via the Bike Polo blog on 'How to Make a Mallet.'
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011 edited

From Thomas Jinna Bike's FB page. It's gnarly, rough, and more interesting to watch than an oval course.
    Found this on the UT website. Great video about the SD bike Polo
    http://bcove.me/ia6i8dt4
    San Diego Polo
    Bike enthusiasts meet every Thursday night on a basketball or handball court behind the Golden HIll Rec center to play polo before the lights automatically turn-off, welcoming anyone interested in joining them. Video by David Brooks.
    Bike Polo at cicLAvia.
    From "Rides A Bike"

"Time for another chukker old sport?"

:face-monkey:
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2013 edited

Vintage Beach Bike Polo

•  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2013

Tricycle polo, Paris, 1898: