Not signed in (Sign In)
    Yaay Tacos! I've never had avocado and cactus tacos before..
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011

i miss taco tuesday :face-crying:
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011 edited

Although they didn't have fish tacos, the Cactus/Guac tacos were great, along with the roasted onions and yellow peppers. Great job leading and setting the pace, Neal!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011

Heather is taking the reins this week. Taking us on a journey to one of the group's favorites.

Some say it's the two buck fish & shrimp tacos, others say it's the local craft beers & dollar cans of Tecate. Either way... you're riding your bike, meeting people who like exercise and fresh air. But wait, it gets worse... all while hanging out on a deck that overhangs the harbor.

As for the route, that's up to Heather. All I know is that it's 15(or so) miles, at 15(or so)mph, and she doesn't shy away from a climb.

Meeting at the fountain at 5:45, and leaving when the clock tolls 6(or so).
    Tacos, Tacos, I can't wait. Yea this is going to be so much fun. See you there.

Get in my belly, Delicioso.... =p
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011

HANS! where ya guys goin this week??... i get off a lil early & could possibly catch up to you
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2011

The days don't get any longer than this! Leaving the fountain, as the clock tolls six. A nice after-work ride on the boardwalk around the north side of Sail Bay, over to the coastal boardwalk. Pedaling up to Loring and Cass, Tacos Mi Rancho has both Dollar fish tacos AND my new love, nopales con guacamole tacos. 75% of the route will be on the water.

Thinking we could possibly catch the sunset from the rooftop deck at PB Alehouse, before heading back to the park.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2011

Hans:Tacos Mi Rancho
    In!

Two blocks from my house - should I ride or just walk over at 7?

:face-devil-grin:
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2011 edited

Hmmm... I think I may be able to make it to this!

What route do you think you'll take, Hans? --in case I can't make it to the fountain.
    Bike path and Friars Road?
    Hans,

I might like to join your group at the Taco Shop. I live in PB so may just ride from my home to say hello and introduce myself to the forum members who will be there. It will be good to start putting faces to names!

A heads up to everyone who attends this ride. Tacos Mi Rancho has a reputation for making it difficult and pricey to use either Debit or ATM cards at their shop (minimum purchase amounts & fees to boot!). It's best to have cash to cover any expenses here. Makes everything cheaper and easier.

Ride well and be safe out there.

OKB
    I'm in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2011

Great time last night. New faces added, and got to match a face with OKB! Hope to see you at Todos on Friday. Sorry to have missed you Gavilan. Down Presidio to Friars/bike path. You pegged it!

Nice shot, SDAirbrush! I think this is one of the best pictures for capturing the essence of the Fish Taco Tuesday rides.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2011 edited

Great BS last night. Fifteen to eighteen peeps meandered along scenic routes near the beach.

GOPR1632

GOPR1602

GOPR1241

GOPR1563
    Loved the ride, not to fond of that SDPD squad car later on that night.

The beach was so pretty both ways the food was wonderful the company was excellent. I think I over did it I had 4 tacos and thanks boys for sharing that Lava Cake. So so yummy. Got to make new friends and OKB came by and introduced himself lets see if he will join us on Paseo de Todos.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

The helm has been turned over to the viking for this week. No doubt Sigurd will navigate us through the paths less traveled. He's an explorer, always up for an adventure. If you're new to these taco adventures, no worries. Nobody gets ditched for being a little slow. Switching it up, I'll be this weeks "sweep". On the other hand, If you like a spirited pace... up a hill, I'd like to see you tire out the Norseman. We usually keep it 15+mph with a 15-20 mile round trip.

We like to take off when the bell tower rings six. If you're running a little bit tight, let us know. We can wait, or you can join en-route.

It's exercise, it's bike, it's social, and it's tacos. Meet new friends, break a sweat and earn that taco!
    http://www.meetup.com/Urban-Bike-and-Social-Club/events/24053011/
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Love this place. I'm gonna try to make this one.:face-devil-grin:
    It was good to hook up with the group on Tuesday evening for the Taco Ride. I enjoyed meeting Sigurd (and Jo and Duke), Hans, Lucky Penny, Lee, Neal, Mark, and the others. It was fun checking out all the bikes as well. There are as many different ways to set up a rig as there are people and it's fun to see all the individuality put into the bikes. Nice pics too, everyone seems to be having a good time!

You guys really moved out down the beach to the Alehouse! I'm not used to riding in a group and one that moves so quickly. I didn't have my lights with me, (they're on the other bike) and felt a little naked out there trailing the group. I guess I'm used to my old pedestrian pace. I'm going to have to train a little more to fit in comfortably. Bike-O-Rama helps in that regard. I'll try to make it next week for the trip into OB.

Thanks everyone for being so friendly and fun.
    Ride well and be safe!

OKB
    :face-monkey:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2011 edited

Old Knotty Buoy:It was good to hook up with the group on Tuesday evening for the Taco Ride.
    It was nice meeting you too, OKB!

This has evolved into a quite fast-paced ride. If you feel you need a little more training before you are ready for it, I would recommend you look into the TJ ride (this Friday), taking the trolley down, and the Downtownie ride (actually happening) this Sunday.
    • CommentAuthorB2TRACKEN
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2011

Great ride Tuesday everybody. I'll miss this next one due to work obligations but hope to see you all again before I deploy later this month.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011

We are putting the final touches on the route for this Tuesday's taco ride!

For those of you that have ridden with me before you will know that: 1) We won't take the shortest route possible, 2) we won't even always take the least strenuous route. But I can guarantee one thing - it will be an excellent route, probably one of most scenic and pleasant ways to go from A to B (and back to A) on a bicycle. It will even include some dirt trails!

25 miles in a big loop (we won't cross our own tracks even once); two hrs. moving time.
    Yea I like dirt trails they are fun, as long as I don't get stuck again.....lol....Hans had to help me on the soft dirt on the way to Paseo do to a sudden stop. This is the best way to get food you work up the appetite on the way there and work off the food on the way back.
    I'm feeling a little less that 100%, wellness-wise, but I'm gonna try to make it if I'm feeling good by 5ish (when I'd have to leave PB)

Who else has this in the plans?
    •  
      CommentAuthorShapps
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011

I'll be going tonight. Trying to get out of work early enough to ride to the meet spot from my place. If I do I will be leaving a bit before 5 from Mission Bay.
    la la la is it that time again? Oh yes Taco Taco Taco Tuesday....... Most definitely count me in I'm curious about the dirt trails someone up there mentioned.

Yeay I like taco, I like riding, let's go go go on an adventure.

Sorry if anyone didn't notice I'm just a bit bored at work.....
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2011 edited

Big turnout tonight. While eating our tacos, the boobtube aired a replay of today's TdF stage. Thanks for leading, Sigurd...We're just perplexed how the two single speeds cruise on the flats and climb hills rather well. Keep it up Keith and Jen. More pics here.

GOPR1708
    Ooops! Sigurd and Hippy are not on this photo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2011

markphilips:We're just perplexed how the two single speeds cruise on the flats and climb hills rather well. Keep it up Keith and Jen.

Having seen how well those single-speeds climb compared to the multispeeds, I am fully converting to SS now.

Great group, great ride; ~24 miles. GPS track.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Looks like fun. Sorry I missed that one. Bahia's one of my fav's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

Worked late, but met up with everyone en-route. The pace allowed us to have our tacos, and still hit the short dirt trail during daylight. As the sun was setting, we found ourselves doing a 2 mile downhill to the harbor and the city lights reflecting on the water. Not only a beautiful ride, but perfect timing also.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2011 edited

Meandering through LaJolla tonight in search of a taco adventure for this week, only to get an email from Sigurd, who was thinking the same thing. Funny, how some things fall into place.

So a trek up the coast is in order. Take it away, Sigurd.... I'm here if you need me!
    http://www.meetup.com/Urban-Bike-and-Social-Club/events/25103181/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2011

We will leave at 5:45 - note a bit earlier than usual - in order to maximize daylight and to fully enjoy the setting sun from the numerous coastal bluffs we will be riding by.

For variation, our return leg will mostly be along a different route than the way out. Except for the climb back onto the uptown mesa, the route will be largely flat with only a few minor rollers.

See you all there - it'll be a good 'un!
    • CommentAuthorneal_d
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2011

For some reason, I like the food better at the Point Loma Wahoo's. I've never actually ridden to downtown La Jolla, though. So it would be worth it.
    • CommentAuthorAlanKHG
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011

What time are y'all aiming at hitting LJ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011

Wahoo's is a great place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011 edited

AlanKHG:What time are y'all aiming at hitting LJ?
    Aiming for arriving at Wahoos at 7:15.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2011

Sigurd:
    markphilips:We're just perplexed how the two single speeds cruise on the flats and climb hills rather well. Keep it up Keith and Jen.

Having seen how well those single-speeds climb compared to the multispeeds, I am fully converting to SS now.

Great group, great ride; ~24 miles. GPS track.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Nice pictures! For me the first thing I noticed was how few helmets were being worn on this ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2011

svelocity:Nice pictures!
    Well, thank you! Here are some more from today's ride to La Jolla:

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    Photobucket Photobucket

GPS track (last section approximate as I didn't go all the way back to the fountain).
    Great ride last night and I ate a little too much :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2011

This week, Jeremy is going to take us back to one of our old haunts deep into Barrio Logan (Hopefully the trailer will even be open this time!). Ride will start as always from Balboa Park and most likely lead out through Mission Hills, down through Presidio Park, Old Town down to Little Italy, out along the harbor and around downtown. Then around Petco Park, and then deep into the Barrio.

La Fachada is probably one of the most authentic taco shops in town. Seating is at group bench tables, tacos are ordered with just meat and then you build them to your liking with as much salsa, guacamole, beans, and fried green onions as you like. So put some grease on your chain, bring your sombrero and your Spanish/ English dictionary because this taco ride is always authentic.

From La Fachada it is anyone's game, but we usually swing by the Velodrome to watch some of the bike races or we may work our way up to Kensington and back around to the park. Either way, it promises to be a good time.
    • CommentAuthorB2TRACKEN
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2011

Agh taco night is on my bday this year and that's my favorite place and I'm out of town! Oh well!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2011

I'm up for catching the last few "Tuesday Night Races" after tacos this week. Anyone from here going?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011

i might end up there tonight.... not positive, but pretty sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011

So, while the rest of the country was complaining about 100+ degrees a few days ago, San Diegan's were sniveling about 80. Let's keep it on the water this Tuesday. Located in National City's beautiful marina (bet you never thought you'd hear National City, beautiful, and marina, in one sentence) is Pier 32's Waterfront Grille. Serving up two buck fishies, and four dollar margaritas and West Coast IPAs.

Leaving the fountain at 6, we'll cross a suspension bridge, pass by topiary garden, ride along the harbor, travel a new route (south side of the tracks). Down along the tracks on Tidelands, to the Waterfront, with it's waterfront patio, and sandy beach seating area.

The way back up, we can familiarize ourselves with Mission Brewery, the meeting point for our monthly trek to Paseo de Todos, before reaching the fountain.

Round trip 20 miles. This is a pretty much flat ride. A little over an hour of saddle time, traveling 15-20mph should burn enough calories to make you feel good about those tacos. Nobody gets dropped, however we will encourage you to push yourself... it's good for the mind, it's good for the body.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2011

I'll try to make it this week. What's the usual bike makeup? I'm wondering whether to bring the heavy cruiser or the road bike.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

mileco:I'm wondering whether to bring the heavy cruiser or the road bike.
    Definitely your road bike.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

Sigurd:
    mileco:I'm wondering whether to bring the heavy cruiser or the road bike.
    Definitely your road bike.
    I second the motion.

I like to think of it as a gathering to BS (bike and socialize) while rolling down the road at 20mph. We have a Tug up front, a sweep at the back, and a person meandering through the middle, all who are familiar with the route. Periodically, the Tug will pause or stop to let the group mass up (Not circling in intersections, but stopping at red octagon shaped signs, or cutting the pace when we hit a slow area without traffic).
    For more information, and to confirm you're coming so that we can look for you => http://www.meetup.com/Urban-Bike-and-Social-Club/events/26909781/
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2011 edited

I'll miss this Tuesday again. I won't make it back in time as I will be working near Santa Monica again. But I will ride my bike along the flat, as a pancake, Martin Braude bike path from Santa Monica to Redondo beach after work then have fish tacos afterward. Cheers! :face-devil-grin:

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011

Hans:

There should be no comma after "heart".
    My favorite day of the week...

Woot woot Tuesday, is work over yet I want to jump on my bike and go...
    • CommentAuthorneal_d
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011

Sigurd:
    Hans:

There should be no comma after "heart".
    There are words on that shirt? ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2011

This weeks trek will again take us through some of the less traveled routes through our environs. Leaving the fountain at 6, riding across two pedestrian bridges that you've probably seen many times, yet never used. Passing through Hillcrest, then along the neighborhoods on the mesa along the south rim of Mission Valley, before riding into City Heights to visit our featured guest. The Fish Taco.

The return route will include two more pedestrian bridges (imagine crossing the freeways without having to deal with cars), taking us through North Park and back to the park.

Pull out that bike, and join us for a ride that will show you new ways to get to familiar places.
    http://www.meetup.com/Urban-Bike-and-Social-Club/events/27828441/