Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorzeroKelvin
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010

Hey anybody felt in earthquake? Baja California, Mexico recieved a 6.9 and being felt by people in Pheonix Arizona. I'm in Corona and felt nothing ...
    • CommentAuthorxmedic

Yup, working on my Garden in OB and felt a pretty good roll for 45 seconds...
    • CommentAuthorProtorio

Somehow, I missed this whilst up here in the Bay Area.

Esteban
    • CommentAuthorburnsadam

felt it. lasted a looong time. and an aftershock like 10 minutes later.
    I was yelling, "Earthquake!" but no one was listening to me.
    Everything in REI was shaking back and forth. The bikes hanging from the ceiling made it look particularly dramatic too as they swayed back and forth freely. Kinda creepy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev

My 3/4 ton pickup was rocking back & forth for a long time, but the horses didn't seem to notice much. Just kept on eating.
    • CommentAuthorSam

Here in North Park I definitely felt it. Rolling motion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

I was stopping to get an ice tea on the way back from a bike ride. The quake had the bike (leaning against the glass) rolling back and forth about a foot.

This quake lasted longer than Loma Prieta or Northridge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2010

zeroKelvin: I'm in Corona and felt nothing ...

that surprises me. i was in Palm Springs and it was strong. Palm Springs is even further away. maybe it was the difference in soil types. i was in a movie theater and it cleared the place out. people were either running not sure what to do or just stood dead in their tracks with looks of confusion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2010 edited

Palm Springs is actually closer to the epicenter than Corona. Corona and Palm Springs are at about the same latitude, but Palm Springs is closer to the same longitude as the center.

I was in Costa Mesa and we all felt it. It was a long one.

I'm thinking that many people in Corona felt it. I've heard reports that people felt it in Santa Barbara.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

I was standing on a friend's concrete patio in South Park drinking a beer when the P waves arrived. I felt a gentle undulation under my feet. My friend said, "Earthquake! These are just the P waves," then the S waves hit. It lasted about a minute.

This was the best one since the 7.1 Hector Mine quake on Oct. 16, 1999. Jolie and I were asleep in a motel room in Torrance when the quake woke me up at 2:46 am. We were on a mini-tour from Santa Barbara to San Diego. The S waves moved the room back and forth. The excursions were quite lengthy; I could feel myself moving about a foot through space. Simultaneously, the Love waves were moving the room slightly from side to side. I jumped out of bed and opened the door to see the swimming pool sloshing its contents out into the street. Jolie slept through it. When I came back into the room, she asked, "Why were you outside?"

The building must have been damaged because when we next toured through the area on the tandem in 2005 there was a vacant lot where the motel had stood.

I always appreciate a free ride!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld

Death toll is currently at three, all in Mexico, one of whom fled his home only to be hit by a car when he ran out into the street.

Considering that Haiti was devastated by a 7.0, and this was a 7.2, the region got off pretty easy overall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

Building codes, a good thing.