Not signed in (Sign In)
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010

The question is mainly for those among you who live in teeny apartments with no spare storage like a garage. I have a free standing bike stand I got from nashbar that holds two bikes. I like it, but was curious on how the rest of you store you bikes. Pictures are appreciated.

Here is what the stand looks like, I now have the stand in a different location.
    • CommentAuthorProtorio

I'll try to take a photo tonight or tomorrow. I have a similar Topek stand I got at the REI garage sale that expands between the floor and ceiling. Then, two hooks in my closet. Plus a bike in a closet in storage. The folder stays in the car trunk, which never gets driven anyway, so its only good for storage. Might be selling that, though. You've just got to get creative!
    • CommentAuthorHillbilly

We keep ours in the foyer, I have a u-style bike rack that I acquired in college that helps but not much. Luckily we have enough room for them for now but with the addition of my new polo bike, my wife is starting to notice that they are slowly creeping out into the hallway :) I'm excited to see everyone else's ideas because I might need a creative solution soon.

I'll post a photo later tonight.
    I know a few cyclist who store their prized bikes at a Public storage. I did for a couple of years.

I've got two bikes hanging upside down from the rafters using two hooks. Sometime I used a one hook (on the wall). At one point I made a similar self-leaning rack similar to Beany's

My trusty Brompton stays in the car and gets a lot of use.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Melodee and myself had an apartment so small in Washington DC that the only place we had for our bikes was upside down hanging over the bed. we had to slide into the bed because the bars and saddle were only 2 feet over the mattress.
    •  
      CommentAuthormissler
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010

Our bikes sleep inside. The entryway situation has gotten a little crazy at this point, but there's no way they're going outdoors. I keep 2 more at work.

The Topeak 2-up rack with the extra 2 arms is pretty awesome - that's 4 up and out of the way.

•  
      CommentAuthormissler

Velo Cult:Melodee and myself had an apartment so small in Washington DC that the only place we had for our bikes was upside down hanging over the bed. we had to slide into the bed because the bars and saddle were only 2 feet over the mattress.

Haha that's awesome. That's love right there.

My last place was so little I had to keep 3 in the living room and 2 next to my bed. I ruined 2 pairs of sheets from accidental brushes with the drive trains. :(
    • CommentAuthorHillbilly

Velo Cult:Melodee and myself had an apartment so small in Washington DC that the only place we had for our bikes was upside down hanging over the bed. we had to slide into the bed because the bars and saddle were only 2 feet over the mattress.

That's awesome...sounds like you had an "average" sized apartment in DC ;)

Here's our bike corner:
    I had a small bike corner (5 bikes) in a small living room. The couch and the bikes were separated with a portable divider.

At one point I stored the bikes on the top bunk bed while I slept below.

Now, I am so glad I have a garage (aka bike cave).
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010 edited

Hillbilly:
    Here's our bike corner:

Looks really roomy!

I probably have to get rid of furniture (maybe the bed) if I want to have more bikes neatly stacked someplace...Our ceiling is too low to have anything dangling from there, so I'm curious on other options.
    • CommentAuthorSam

I really like these cyclocs and how they look, but not a fan of drilling holes.

• CommentAuthorHillbilly
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010 edited

^I LOVE those things...but I'm with you. I'm not a fan of drilling holes or the $$$$.

Yes, actually our place here is pretty roomy...fortune smiled upon us when we found our apt after moving out here. Our place in DC was much smaller...although not quite as small as Sky's sounded.
    like this
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    •  
      CommentAuthoril Pirati
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010

Finally uploaded my pictures. We have 3 storage locations. The first is in our guest bedroom/office/bike shop.

hanging bikes

I mounted a 2x2 length of hardwood to a couple studs, and screwed in two hooks. Total cost, about $15.

We keep two more bikes out in front of our apartment.

There's a stair landing above to keep the rain off, and most of the sun.

I've got two more bicycles in storage. No pics of that!
    • CommentAuthorSam

il Pirati:.
    We keep two more bikes out in front of our apartment.

There's a stair landing above to keep the rain off, and most of the sun.

^ Is that where your fixie was stored when it got stolen?

I like your guest bedroom solution as well, since the number of holes drilled is minimal. And it looks tidy.
    •  
      CommentAuthoril Pirati

^Yeah, that's where the Steamroller was when it was stolen. Since then I've added the cinderblocks, the rack, a hardend steel chain, two ground anchors, and a cutterproof pad lock. Someone will have to be pretty motivated to get away with either of those bicycles. It's a gamble, I suppose, but it's been good for 15 months, and it's a good use of space, and easy access to my main commuting bike.
    The set-up in the spare bedroom is nice. I could pretty easily fit a third bike in there. Only downside is the bicycles leave tire marks on the wall, but I plan on painting when we leave anyway.
    Under a table

In the closet
    markphilips:Under a table

In the closet

that's awesome.

I wish I could store myself under a table.
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2010

One of my favorite topics is small space/small house living. There is apparently a "movement' around this, but I primarily love the homes because I get ideas from them. One of the stories I recently read was of a 182 sq ft condo in Seattle. I like how he stores his bikes:

• CommentAuthorWilliam.
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2010

We have a two car garage. We need a three car garage. Because there is always a project of some sort going on. Bikes: I hang 3 upside down from the over heads, one on the wall, one frame in the rafter and one for quick get on and go. For those of you with apartments, ect.. a good trick is to find the overhead beam, trace it lenght wise carefully and find two steps over (depending on stud spacing), and do the same. Then, very very carefully insert long skinny nailes to ensure you can find the studs. Take two 2x4's, of what lenght you like, mount hanging hooks as you need on the 2x4. Using old blanket/felt, ect, create a "bushing" between cieling and wood. Use 4 - 6 inch self taping wood screws and put at least 2 per bike, per 2x4. Then you can hang multiple bikes from the cieling. Problem though: dirty tires can stain the cieling if you're tired and bump. Leaving the apartment, unscrew the 2x4's, and use toothpaste to patch the holes. White paste toothpaste, not gel.
    • CommentAuthorAn.dy
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2010

I built a rack out of some scrap wood, holds four bikes and seems pretty solid (ie I haven't awoken to bikes on the hood of my car yet!)
    An.dy:I built a rack out of some scrap wood, holds four bikes and seems pretty solid (ie I haven't awoken to bikes on the hood of my car yet!)

Nice! I built one of those kinds and one that leans against a wall using Ikea IVAR modular shelving (columns)
    10 Ways To Hang Your Bike On The Wall Like A Work Of Art from Treehugger
    http://www.treehugger.com/slideshows/interior-design/10-ways-hang-your-bike-wall-work-art/page/11/
    The missus told me today that my bike and bike projects is slowly spreading form the garage and into the house.:face-monkey:
    • CommentAuthorChad
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2012

I store my trials bike at some thief's house... The other two bikes just reside in the spare bedroom.
    Needed more elbow room to work in. It was difficult to let go of a bikes I have yet to enjoy. So a bigger garage space was the other choice.

Untitled