Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2010 edited

Former NYC police officer Patrick Pogan was convicted of lying in his report about his assault of Christopher Long at a NYC CM in July 2008. He was acquitted of the assault charge, but that was only a misdemeanor, and any sentence would probably have been concurrent with the felony he was convicted of, so it doesn't really matter for sentencing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/30/nyregion/30pogan.html

In any case, he was convicted of a felony. He will be going to jail for up to 4 years.

I love that the assault is on video, and shows that Pogan was lying about signalling Long to stop, and about Long steering into him, and about Long knocking him down (none of those things happened).
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2010

The Video:

Good to see justice here. Maybe we all need to start riding with cameras?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2010

that's more than i thought would come out of that case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2010

It is interesting that Pogan took the stand and continued to claim that he signaled Long to stop. He did no such thing. I think he committed perjury on the stand.

His defense hinged upon his claim that he must have misremembered things when making his report and confused some things with others. The jury didn't buy it.
    • CommentAuthorSerge

<blockquote><cite> billd:</cite>It is interesting that Pogan took the stand and continued to claim that he signaled Long to stop. He did no such thing. I think he committed perjury on the stand.

His defense hinged upon his claim that he must have misremembered things when making his report and confused some things with others. The jury didn't buy it.</blockquote>
    He might have really believed it went down the way he said it did. When people are making decisions with the ancient part of their brain, the newer stuff is free to remember it the way it wishes it were.

Anyway, amazing video and story. Great stuff.

I wonder if other cops will learn from this. If nothing else, maybe they'll learn that at any time they might be getting filmed, so act accordingly. That would be a good thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2010 edited

Serge:He might have really believed it went down the way he said it did. When people are making decisions with the ancient part of their brain, the newer stuff is free to remember it the way it wishes it were.
    That would be some very big memory discrepancies, especially since the report would have been made either that night or the next day.

If you watch the video, he clearly didn't do anything to signal Long to stop. He appeared to make an effort to not let on what he was about to do until the last second. Again, he still claims that he signaled Long to stop. I wonder if he saw the video?

He's now claiming that Long knocked him down while he was trying to cuff Long after Long was on the ground, and that's the part that he confused as Long steering into him and knocking him down. Unfortunately, the cuffing was not on the video. Even so, I don't get how you can make that kind of mistake. There's a huge difference between those two.

He's a liar. I don't believe that he misremembered it on the report. Neither did the jury. He was trying to pad the charges. Assaulting a police officer is a serious offence (as it should be). People like him should not be allowed to be cops. Fortunately, he won't be anymore. Felony convictions for false testimony in the line of duty tend to do that.
    • CommentAuthorSerge

<blockquote><cite> billd:</cite><blockquote><cite> Serge:</cite>He might have really believed it went down the way he said it did. When people are making decisions with the ancient part of their brain, the newer stuff is free to remember it the way it wishes it were.</blockquote>That would be some very big memory discrepancies, especially since the report would have been made either that night or the next day.

If you watch the video, he clearly didn't do anything to signal Long to stop. He appeared to make an effort to not let on what he was about to do until the last second. Again, he still claims that he signaled Long to stop. I wonder if he saw the video?

He's now claiming that Long knocked him down while he was trying to cuff Long after Long was on the ground, and that's the part that he confused as Long steering into him and knocking him down. Unfortunately, the cuffing was not on the video. Even so, I don't get how you can make that kind of mistake. There's a huge difference between those two.

He's a liar. I don't believe that he misremembered it on the report. Neither did the jury. He was trying to pad the charges. Assaulting a police officer is a serious offence (as it should be). People like him should not be allowed to be cops. Fortunately, he won't be anymore. Felony convictions for false testimony in the line of duty tend to do that.</blockquote>
    Yeah, you're right. I was trying to give him a little benefit of doubt, but it really doesn't fit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2010

BTW, for those that missed it when it happened, The Smoking Gun published the original police report. The falsehoods in this report are the crime that Pogan was convicted for.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0729081bike1.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010

Apparently a felony conviction doesn't require punishment:

Pogan is was sentenced to free today:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2010/07/14/2010-07-14_patrick_pogan_nypd_cop_who_pushed_a_critical_mass_cyclist_to_the_ground_gets_no_.html

Even his defense was asking for community service, thinking that they'd get something worse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010

billd:Apparently a felony conviction doesn't require punishment:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2010/07/14/2010-07-14_patrick_pogan_nypd_cop_who_pushed_a_critical_mass_cyclist_to_the_ground_gets_no_.html

Even his defense was asking for community service, thinking that they'd get something worse.

"His father, a retired city detective also named Patrick Pogan, said it had been painful to see his son prosecuted.
    "He did what he thought was best," the father said." He thought THAT was the best thing to do?
    Pretty pathetic when the judge didn't even agree with the defense attorney, and essentially issued a get-out-of -jail(and everything else)-free card.
    Things that make you go hmm.:face-plain:
    Hans:
    billd:Apparently a felony conviction doesn't require punishment:

"His father, a retired city detective also named Patrick Pogan, said it had been painful to see his son prosecuted.
    "He did what he thought was best," the father said." He thought THAT was the best thing to do?
    Pretty pathetic when the judge didn't even agree with the defense attorney, and essentially issued a get-out-of -jail(and everything else)-free card.
    Things that make you go hmm.:face-plain:

I am so glad we live in a democracy in which the law is upheld equally for every citizen! :face-angel:
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2010

Don't mean to play devils advocate, but it just dawned on me that maybe the judge was at a stoplight next to a cyclist on the morning of the sentencing, and the cyclist ran it.... Not that it makes it okay, but that's the kind of behavior that sticks in peoples minds.

I almost HAVE to tell myself stuff like this, to keep myself sane, and a citizen of this deteriorating society.