Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2010

Stage 1, Universal Sports May 8th, 7am.

I was a little surprised that Radio Shack isn't on the start list. Did they choose not to go or did they not get the invite? If the latter, was the invite contingent on the organizers wanting Armstrong to show up?

Not sure who I like for the win. Evans? Sastre? Wiggins?

Menchov is not there to defend. Surely not Basso? Vino?

I hope Farrar takes a stage or two.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2010

Due to Radio Shack's focus on the concurrent Tour of California, Giro director Zomegnan did not invite the team to the 2010 Giro d'Italia. I still think it was a bad idea to move the ToC into the present spot on the race calendar. It affects me personally because Stage 6, this year's highest climb and the best excuse for a party, is on Bike to Work Day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2010

Woohoo! Farrar takes the first real stage!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010

I'm kind of bummed about Christian Vandevelde. I hope he can recover in time for the TdF.

I can't believe Vino's in the lead and Wiggins is 4 minutes back. I did not see that coming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2010

Wow. Great stage today. Impressive final kick from Evans for the stage win.

Of course it had to rain on the day when they had some long dirt road sections. There were several points where you couldn't tell which team any of the riders was on because they were all covered with mud.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2010 edited

Thanks for the updates. I'll check for pics and GC at grahamwatson.com

Wow TTT really shook up the GC... Stage 7 looked like a Spring classic race...Vino and Evans look strong.

Despite missing a few years Vino seems to be in good form.

Tour of Italy is my fav over the TdF. It's just full of surprises until the last stage.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010

Tyler takes another stage, led out by teammate Julian Dean in a bunch sprint for the line.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010

Big shakeup in the GC. Vino' out of the top ten after a breakaway escapes Astana and BMC.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010 edited

It's kind of amazing to me that Astana, BMC and Liquigas collectively screwed up that badly. They should have realized that a breakaway that huge (~50 or so riders I think) was dangerous and not let it get away like that. It will be interesting to see what happens when they hit the big mountains this weekend. There were some strong climbers in the breakaway that are now several minutes ahead of Vino, Evans and Basso.

This has been the most unpredictable grand tour I've ever seen. It seems like something weird or unexpected has happened on almost every stage.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010

Yeah, it was really more of a field split than a breakaway. Can you imagine Johan Bruyneel letting that happen?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010 edited

ray333:Yeah, it was really more of a field split than a breakaway.
    True.
    Can you imagine Johan Bruyneel letting that happen?
    Not likely. He would have his riders all over that.

ITT ability is not going to help Evans, Vino or Wiggins as much as it might normally. The ITT stage has an average gradient of around 8%, with sections as high as 24%. The GC is all about the climbing from here on. Sastre's got a real chance if he can find his climbing legs again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2010

And Basso finally takes the lead. Arroyo looked like he was going to hang on another day with that insane descent, but then Basso took it all away on the final climb. Evans is four minutes out. Already too much to make up in an ITT. Tomorrow is 20,000 feet of total climbing. Insane.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2010 edited

The Mortirolo climb is just insanely STEEP and it really shakes the GC standing.
    I couldn't understand why the other GC contenders (Evans, Vino, Arroyo, Sastre) lost
    a lot of time on the final climb. They brought down the deficit to 35 seconds but lost more
    Than 3 minutes from Basso. They either let him go or they didn't have enough for the last climb.
    This is probably why I like the Giro more than TDF because the Leader's Jersey gets passed around until the very end.
    Definitely, I'll be looking out to get a DVD set of the 2010 Giro.

I get my updates from grahamwatson.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2010

Evans made a great attempt on the final climb, but just didn't have enough to take any serious time out of Basso. It was great to watch the group split apart chasing him though. Evans will take some time back tomorrow, but not nearly enough. He may have a shot at the podium.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbilld
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2010 edited

No surprises in the final ITT. The top riders did tighten it up a little due to people like Evans being better at ITT's, but since it was so short, there wasn't enough room to make up any significant time so no significant changes. Evans will have to settle for the points title, which I'm sure some sprinters would have loved to win, but since they all quit, they're out of luck.

Nibali was actually only a second slower than Evans in the ITT, which surprised me. Very impressive performance from him.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010

If Zomegnan hadn't excluded Liquigas rider Pelizotti from the Giro based on irregular hematocrit readings we would have had Nibali at the Tour of California once again. Even without him, the team had a trifecta of stage wins with Chicchi's sprint in Stage 4 followed by Sagan's wins in Stages 5 and 6.

As it turned out Liquigas replaced Pelizotti with Nibali at the Giro, reducing the depth of their ToC squad. Another example of how bad an idea it was to place the ToC in conflict with the Giro on the 2010 race calendar.