Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2012

Cecil:If you are in the market for some "shants," one of my favorite bike companies (I have a bunch of their stuff) has released some made of post-consumer recycled stuff. They say that the waist fits women as well:

http://www.twinsix.com/gear/mens-casual/three-quarters-pavement

Wow! I like that company! Could spend some money there...:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2012

Hmmm... curious to know more.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2012 edited

Now if they could develop this even further into a small bicycle camper trailer with the small fireplace chimney...:face-angel:
    Get Your Steam On Anywhere: Portable Bike Sauna Trailer By H3T Architects
    Recycle those old shoes

• CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012

I have a bag of patched tubes that I will not use anymore, since I have changed tire/wheel size a couple of times and I wasn't sure about giving them to anyone because I don't want to have anyone suffer through a bad-patching job of mine.... I googgled something like "recycle used bicycle tubes" and ended up at Alchemy Goods http://www.alchemygoods.com/about-ag.html . Somewhere on that page it says that all REI stores participate in their recycling program so I called the bike shop at my local REI store and they said to bring my bag over and just drop it off. Cool!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul

gavilan:I have a bag of patched tubes that I will not use anymore, since I have changed tire/wheel size a couple of times and I wasn't sure about giving them to anyone because I don't want to have anyone suffer through a bad-patching job of mine.... I googgled something like "recycle used bicycle tubes" and ended up at Alchemy Goods http://www.alchemygoods.com/about-ag.html . Somewhere on that page it says that all REI stores participate in their recycling program so I called the bike shop at my local REI store and they said to bring my bag over and just drop it off. Cool!

Adams has a drop off too. I think it's for Green Guru, like VC had.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

does anyone do tires? or is it just a tube thing... maybe too much other stuff in tires to recycle?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

PacMUle:does anyone do tires? or is it just a tube thing... maybe too much other stuff in tires to recycle?

The city of San Diego has,twice a year, a free collection/drop off at Qualcomm Stadium.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle

Hans:
    PacMUle:does anyone do tires? or is it just a tube thing... maybe too much other stuff in tires to recycle?

The city of San Diego has,twice a year, a free collection/drop off at Qualcomm Stadium.

thanks hans, much appreciated!
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2012

Suzie's Farm or Be Wise Ranch?
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2012 edited

Convert a stationary bike to produce electricity. This one shows up every year at the annual Encinitas Environment expo. The fly wheel runs a DC motor that is connected to an inverter which produces 120 volts to power any household blender or other appliance. The smoothie tasted yummy!

IMG03544-20120610-1250.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2012

LOVE the idea. What ever happened? The time has come.
    The pollution created in recycling, not to mention transporting to recycle it, is counter-productive.

• CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2012

•  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2012

Make the coolest Cardboard bicycle

•  
      CommentAuthormarkphilips
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012 edited

markphilips:Convert a stationary bike to produce electricity. This one shows up every year at the annual Encinitas Environment expo. The fly wheel runs a DC motor that is connected to an inverter which produces 120 volts to power any household blender or other appliance. The smoothie tasted yummy!

IMG03544-20120610-1250.jpg

Build an even cooler pedal powered generator to power and re-charge your electronics.
    • CommentAuthorsd_mike
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012

Today marks one year officially carless... I sold my 1994 Toyota Camry Station Wagon on August 7, 2011. The last time I drove it was July 29, 2011. The engine more or less died that day. I plan to celebrate somehow tonight.
    Congratulations Mike!
    This is just great. Thank you Sam for sharing it.

Sam:
    In 1997, in San Andrés Itzapa in Guatemala, Maya Pedal Association began recycling scraps of bicycles into Bicimáquinas.

Bicimáquinas are pedal-powered blenders, washing machines and threshing machines, eliminating the need for fuel and electricity. Pumps are also possible, and are capable of extracting 30 liters of water per minute from 30-meter deep wells (electronic pumps reach just to 12 meters).

The idea of these ingenious contraptions emerged from the desire to help the farming families of the San Andrés community. The issue that gave rise to Maya Pedal was the expense and shortage of electricity and fuel in the village.

Carlos and Cesar, creators of Maya Pedal, have achieved an extraordinary result: a worthy project that does not pollute and is extremely fascinating in its involvement of volunteers from around the world who are building a fantastic pedal revolution.

• CommentAuthorCRACKERJACK
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2012 edited

A few years ago I needed to get rid of a couple of my used tubes. My buddy took them to a place in OB where a guy makes recycled flip-flops with them. Splaff.com is his website. Apparently you need to call him and set something up (Not sure if he's still located in OB.) Just thought I would give you guys a local option, as the less it travels the less it pollutes.
    Stay cool this week San Diego

photo courtesy of Jinna
    • CommentAuthorSam
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2013

After a long ride, in case you get a little hangry (angry + hungry) for some decent nutrition, the Greenfix Smoothie hits the spot. They sell 1 gallon glass containers of green goodness. The containers are returnable too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2013

I've had that. Decent.
    Great video.There is some biking in there, mental illness, human nature, sustainability, etc...... At least, watch the last 17 minutes.

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2013

I decided to take the train to Oregon (Paranafest in Ashland) rather than flying. Even with a sleeping car on the way up, it was cheaper than airfare to Medford for the two of us.

The Train is over 1000 ft long, and it was close to sold out.

Arrival in Ashland, OR:

It is a very long trip (24 hours from Oceanside), I used this for working days (have a wifi Verizon thing).

Hint: Bring your own food.
    • CommentAuthorStephan
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2013

This video is about walking, but the same holds for bicycling.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jeff_speck_the_walkable_city.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2014

I still opt for carrying my panniers into the market, but what the heck...