Not signed in (Sign In)
    So I'm talking to my work about joining the program, so I just print up a sign for the window and post up the business and discount on here correct?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012

Our search to identify qualified managers to take over responsibility for the SDBikeCommuter Discount Program has been successful: The new managers are long-time forum members in good standing - please welcome Lisi and Svelocity -- thank you for stepping up to take the reigns for this important asset to the bicycling community!

For those unaware of the history of the Discount Program, here’s a quick rundown: The idea was developed and the program started by Sky a few years ago. He built the program to several dozens of merchants, and then handed program management over to San Diego Bike Union about one year ago under Thom’s firm stewardship, who continued Sky’s work on it. Over this period, I have served as the web master for the program - a small role indeed, compared to that of Sky and Thom.

When Thom contacted me earlier this month to ask if the forum was interested in taking over responsibility for the program, I was very excited to accept his generous offer: After all, the program was started as an activity belonging to this forum, and also carries our name. So with Lisi and Svelocity stepping up to manage the Discount Program together, it has gone full circle and is back with the members of this forum again.

Please contact either of the two by PM or email if you have questions, ideas, or merchant prospects for the program: Thank you to the members who have made this possible!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012 edited

In order to continue to develop the SDBikeCommuter Program, we need plenty of help and I am asking all the members to think of ways you can help the program: So, how can you help the Discount Program grow? In many different ways - here are some examples for you (here's a comprehensive list of participants as of today):

- If you know of a business that might fit in the program (no large chains, franchises or corporate owners, please - locally owned and operated independent businesses, only) that might be of interest to cyclists. please contact them. Or pass on their info to the forum managers if you think that would be more effective.

- Tell businesses that are not in the program about it, and thank those that are!

- Take advantage of the program every time you ride your bike to one of the member merchants!

- Tell your bike friends about the program and tell them to do all of the above (in addition to inviting them to join the forum!).

- Help in any other way!

So - post here, or contact Lisi, Svelocity or myself, if you have questions, comments, or ideas (incl. ideas for new program merchants) - thanks!
    • CommentAuthorrandomjive

Is there a flier or something that I can bring to businesses? I ride my bike to Downtown La Mesa fairly regularly and would like to see some of those business joining in.
    • CommentAuthorMayaMK

Yes, what's the email address that interested businesses should use to get more information? Right now the site says "store@velocult.com," but I assume that will change...
    • CommentAuthorlisi

The email address is sdbikecommuterdiscount@gmail.com
    • CommentAuthorJim

Is San Diego Bike Union defunct?
    • CommentAuthorlisi

Here is a link to a flyer you can print out and use. It is more for temporary use until we really get everything together. Note that we are looking at just having an initial $50 fee for a business to join and likely we will not have further annual charges. Everyone on the forum is encouraged to promote this to new businesses and frequent the businesses already participating. We really want to see this grow!!

Click to View
    • CommentAuthorlisi

MayaMK:Yes, what's the email address that interested businesses should use to get more information? Right now the site says "store@velocult.com," but I assume that will change...

The email address is sdbikecommuterdiscount@gmail.com
    • CommentAuthorSam

Congrats Lisi! And whoever this svelocity fella is. :face-monkey:

Also cool star. I'd love to have a cool beans star next to my name (signifying most annoying forum member :face-monkey:)
    • CommentAuthorlisi
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012 edited

Not sure what is up with that star but I like it. Also, I was awarded with a fancy badge. I guess now I have to deliver the goods. :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorHans

Sam:Congrats Lisi! And whoever this svelocity fella is. Also cool star. I'd love to have a cool beans star next to my name...

Here, I thought it meant she was sponsored by Carls' Junior.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012 edited

Thanks Sigurd for the nice intro! I'm very happy to be able to take part in the Bike Discount Program and co-manage it with Lisi. I want to keep the momentum Sky and Thom built and grow it even larger.

We already have a lot of ideas going but we are happy to hear from anyone if they have something they would like to contribute. As Lisi mentioned, if you have a local business you frequent please try and promote the Bike Discount Program to them and/or pass their information to us at: sdbikecommuterdiscount@gmail.com

Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012

Looking like a Soviet general there with all the stars and medals! Thanks for stepping up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012

Do you guys really see a star? I thought the award icon had been changed to a Discount Program logo - which is what I see on all computers I have been on - but I still see members make references to stars...
    I'm seeing stars all the time! (at night anyway...) Look ...there in the west...it's Venus,...and Jupiter's just a little further to the east. Wow....

========

If lisi or svelocity post a comment, there has been a star by their names on the "all discussions" page of the forum, next to the "last comment by" field. When you click on that, you are taken to the last comment in that thread and that's where you'll see the Discount Program logo to the right of their name.

If you are the webmaster here, can you fix the missing smiley face icon in the add a comment section? :face-smile: It would be nice to have that available. It would generate some good, happy energy. Just sayin'.

Ride well and be safe out there,

OKB

PS, for all you star gazers, I've made arrangements with the proper authorities to have Venus and Jupiter pass each other on TACO TUESDAY, March 13th, 2012. I thought St Paddy's day on March 17th might have too much energy, so Taco Tuesday it is. Between now and then, be opportunistic when the weather is clear, and watch each night as they draw closer together (or at least every Tuesday Taco ride). It's like watching a big clock ticking away. On Taco Tuesday, March 6th, there will be a third planet, Mercury added to the mix. It's hard to see but if it's clear it will be really cool. If you've been paying attention since the autumn, you've already noticed a big difference in how close they've come to each other.

I see stars....
    Congratulations to lisi and svelocity.

They've accepted a task that could really benefit the whole city with the encouragement of bicycling locally.

I'll gladly help in their efforts as best I can in my own small way and hope that with their leadership and other member's efforts, the tasks can be shared, multiplied and leveraged so as to provide a lasting ground swell for this bike advocacy.

OKB
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2012 edited

Old Knotty Buoy:They've accepted a task that could really benefit the whole city with the encouragement of bicycling locally. I'll gladly help in their efforts as best I can in my own small way and hope that with their leadership and other member's efforts, the tasks can be shared, multiplied and leveraged so as to provide a lasting ground swell for this bike advocacy.
    Very true words, OKB!

Old Knotty Buoy:...next to the "last comment by" field. When you click on that, you are taken to the last comment in that thread...
    After all this time I had no idea till now that the "Last Active" text is hyperlinked and that it takes me to the last comment!

PS! I went to Pannikin's today who gladly discounted my tab for riding my bike there - so the program really works!
    • CommentAuthordstone
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2012 edited

I gave one of the two remaining sdbikecommuter "biz" cards I have to the owner of Art of Espresso on UCSD's campus earlier this morning. He seemed somewhat hesitant, as they already have a large number of bikers and bike commuters in their clientele (do coffee shops have clienteles?) and they have very reasonable prices (1 USD BRCR coffee in your own cup, pretty damn hard to beat), but I told him to at least have a look. He also thought the card had a pretty nifty color scheme and logo (nice job, Sky!).

Hope he joins the program, I know AoE is way out the way for most folks, but they are awfully friendly to bikes and bikers and are a great small business.
    • CommentAuthorgavilan
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2012

dstone:I gave one of the two remaining sdbikecommuter "biz" cards I have to the owner of Art of Espresso on UCSD's campus earlier this morning. He seemed somewhat hesitant, as they already have a large number of bikers and bike commuters in their clientele (do coffee shops have clienteles?) and they have very reasonable prices (1 USD BRCR coffee in your own cup, pretty damn hard to beat), but I told him to at least have a look. He also thought the card had a pretty nifty color scheme and logo (nice job, Sky!).

Hope he joins the program, I know AoE is way out the way for most folks, but they are awfully friendly to bikes and bikers and are a great small business.

Where's AoE, dstone?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity

dstone - I appreciate you spreading the word!
    • CommentAuthordstone
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2012 edited

gavilan:
    Where's AoE, dstone?

Right next to (or basically underneath the south side of) Mandeville, the Women's Center, LGBT Center, and Porter's.

Edit: Also, it is actually a permanent coffee cart, rather than a "shop." I mis-spoke!
    • CommentAuthorgavilan

Ah, got it. I know where it is and ride by it every day from the pool to my office. :)
    • CommentAuthorlisi
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2012 edited

We have a new business that was just added to our discount program! He has just been added to the discount page but I wanted to get the word out to you all. He is a fellow cyclist and will soon join the forum as well. He specializes in acupuncture, orthopedic rehabilitation, and herbal medicine. He may have treated a few of you already but now it's official as far as the discount and it is 20%!

Bill Lusk MS, L.Ac at Acusport Health Center
    1804 Cable St. Suite B
    San Diego, CA 92107
    Cell: 619-822-4596
    Clinic phone: 619-243-5109
    www.acusporthealth.com
    Discount: 20% off (Discount only applies to services performed by Dr. Lusk)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2012

lisi:We have a new business that was just added to our discount program!
    That's certainly great news - thanks for adding him to the discount program!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2012 edited

Both Lisi and I got a couple new businesses today!

I'm pleased to announce EmpireHouse at 127 University Avenue will offer anyone riding a bike a 15% discount!

This is where sykkelspruce works and shows much of his cycling centric art and clothing (Brake Free). It seems sykkelspruce's art show, that brought the Urban Bike and Social Club over for a Taco Tuesday Ride, really convinced the owner the SD Bike Commuter Discount is something she would like to be a part of. Thanks!

Please be sure to tip the wait staff generously :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2012

svelocity: I'm pleased to announce EmpireHouse at 127 University Avenue will offer anyone riding a bike a 15% discount!
    That's fantastic news: Please make sure to visit the Empirehouse (as well as the other merchants in the program), give them your custom, thank them for supporting bicycling in San Diego, and tell your friends about it!
    • CommentAuthorlisi
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2012

Vilage Hat Shop at 3821 Fourth Avenue has just been added to the discount program and they are offering 12% off any regularly priced merchandise! They have really cool hats in many styles and old-timey styles that are perfect for tweed rides as well. I even bought a hat and I encourage you all to check it out. Our discount is already programmed into their computer so it is really easy to get the discount. I met with Andrea who helped set this up and she is car-free and a bike commuter and has a sweet vintage Trek 420. Here are a few pictures I took in the shop:

Let's give them some business!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2012 edited

Alright, I could use a new lid and nice photos Lisi! I especially like the effects around the border.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2012

lisi:We have a new business that was just added to our discount program! He has just been added to the discount page but I wanted to get the word out to you all. He is a fellow cyclist and will soon join the forum as well. He specializes in acupuncture, orthopedic rehabilitation, and herbal medicine. He may have treated a few of you already but now it's official as far as the discount and it is 20%!

Bill Lusk MS, L.Ac at Acusport Health Center
    1804 Cable St. Suite B
    San Diego, CA 92107
    Cell: 619-822-4596
    Clinic phone: 619-243-5109
    www.acusporthealth.com
    Discount: 20% off (Discount only applies to services performed by Dr. Lusk)

I missed this when it was posted.
    Bill has been a friend since the last millennium.
    Give him a shot at treating you and he might let you look at his sweet Rivendell Atlantis.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2012 edited

Hey all! Our tech guru (Sigurd) has updated the forum page with a direct link to the SD Bike Commuter Discount page. You can see it up on the left hand side of the page under "links".

When you go to the Discount Page, Sigurd improved the organization of the page and moved the link of the participating business map to the top. This is smart because I think the map was under utilized as it was kind of hidden at the bottom. Check it out... Hopefully the map will help you visualize where all our businesses are located. That way when you are out for a ride you can remember to stop on in!

Let us know if you have any ideas or suggestions to help improve the SD Bike Commuter Discount page.

Lastly, for all those Facebook people please "like" us on the SD Bike Commuter FB page. That way we can keep you up to date with new businesses joining the program or weekly/daily specials from existing restaurants and businesses!

Cheers!
    svelocity:Hey all! Our tech guru (Sigurd) has updated the forum page with a direct link to the SD Bike Commuter Discount page.

Thanks! That map is fantastic! So much easier to see where everything is! Great job!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsvelocity
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012

Businesses keep rolling on in!

The Meshuggah Shack in Mission Hills has decided to join the SD Bike Discount Program. John Bertsch (the owner) will be offering 20% off of all Espresso drinks...perfetto! He also has a bicycle pump right on site...smart!

The Meshuggah Shack is located at the corner of Fort Stockton and Goldfinch. This one is a good one because for many it is right on a major bicycle commuter artery. Pretty much anyone who has ridden up or down Presidio has passed the Meshuggah Shack heading to or from Hillcrest.

Here are his Yelp and Facebook sites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012

svelocity:Businesses keep rolling on in!

The Meshuggah Shack in Mission Hills has decided to join the SD Bike Discount Program. John Bertsch (the owner) will be offering 20% off of all Espresso drinks...perfetto! He also has a bicycle pump right on site...smart!

The Meshuggah Shack is located at the corner of Fort Stockton and Goldfinch. This one is a good one because for many it is right on a major bicycle commuter artery. Pretty much anyone who has ridden up or down Presidio has passed the Meshuggah Shack heading to or from Hillcrest.

Here are his Yelp and Facebook sites.

Nice get.
    I've been scoping that spot for a while on the way down the hill to less than stellar coffee. I always see a nice bike locked up right there.
    Next time for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2012

We have updated the Bike Discount web site (link in sidebar) to provide info about Meshuggah Shack in Mission Hills (corner of Goldfinch and Fort Stockton), the latest merchant added to the program: Please drop by to introduce yourself next you're riding in Mission Hills!
    • CommentAuthorlisi
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012 edited

Thanks to Chris, The Schwinn Lawyer for his referral leading to the latest addition to our discount program. We now have a lawyer who will be offering 10% off of all legal services. His specialties are:
    Criminal Defense, including all infractions, misdemeanors, and felonies; alcohol & drug charges; domestic violence or violent crimes and civil Litigation, including real property or HOA disputes; contract review or breach of contract, and debt collection.

Here is his contact info and he will be up on the discount page soon!

Steven E. Kaftal, Esq.
    Kaftal & Associates Law Firm
    4015 Park Blvd. Suite 220
    San Diego, CA 92103
    Tel: 619.786.7838
    Email: info@kaftal.com
    Web: www.kaftal.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012

Fantastic! The web site will be updated with the latest addition shortly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPacMUle
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012

:) awesome! though hopefully i will never need those services...
    • CommentAuthorlisi
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2012

Underbelly in Little Italy is the latest addition to the discount program. Cecil and I can attest that their vegan ramen and craft beers offer the perfect post-ride nourishment. I have heard that their meat based ramen is also very delicious and they have recently added more items to their menu so check it out! They are very bike friendly and there is a nice large bike rack on Fir, right in front of the restaurant. They are located at 750 W. FIr St, on the corner of Fir and Kettner. The manager Rachel and all the staff are very cool and were excited to be added to the program. They are offering 10% off your bill when you ride in.

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2012

The inclusion of UnderBelly to the Discount Program is great news!

I have updated the website and map accordingly.
    Gena and I will visit UnderBelly very soon.Thank you for sharing the great news!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2012

Just a quick reminder to use the Discount Progam, folks! Here's a picture from today at Pannikin's La Jolla, one of the program members, who gives bicyclists a 10% discount.

Check out which merchants are in the program from the link in the left margin of this page and ride your bike to them. Tell them you're on a bike, ask for the discount, and thank them for supporting the bicycling community!

• CommentAuthorlisi
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2012

We have a new addition to the discount program. Thanks to Cecil for being a regular customer and getting them signed up! Captain Kirk's recently opened in South Park and is located at 3030 Grape Street in South Park, just in front of Gala Foods. The manager Eliza and her staff are super friendly and they have really good prices already on their coffee and food. They are open Monday-Sunday from 6-6. Not only do they have great coffee but they also have smoothies and several varieties of acai bowls - Yum! They offer $0.25 off all coffee drinks and $0.50 off smoothies and acai bowls. Don't forget to get a punch card and every 8th coffee is free or bring your own cup and get even more of a discount. Right now they are cash only but I believe that will change in the future. Give them a try when you are in South Park! One more thing, they put a chocolate covered espresso bean on the lid of your coffee - what more could you ask for?!

•  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2012

lisi:We have a new addition to the discount program. Thanks to Cecil for being a regular customer and getting them signed up! Captain Kirk's recently opened in South Park and is located at 3030 Grape Street in South Park, just in front of Gala Foods.
    Terrific, Cecil and Lisi!

lisi:One more thing, they put a chocolate covered espresso bean on the lid of your coffee - what more could you ask for?!
    Yum!

Capt. Kirks is also a bicycle approved drive-thru also a great place to stop at before going to Grape Street Dog park they have treats for the furry ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2012

The web site has been updated with the addition of Captain Kirk's. Now go visit them - Cecil tells me they have the best coffee in 92102!

lucky.penny:Capt. Kirks is also a bicycle approved drive-thru also a great place to stop at before going to Grape Street Dog park they have treats for the furry ones.
    Thanks for checking in, Penny!
    • CommentAuthorlisi
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2012

Thanks, Penny! I knew you and Spunky especially would appreciate that drive-thru!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2012 edited

lucky.penny:
    Capt. Kirks is also a bicycle approved drive-thru also a great place to stop at before going to Grape Street Dog park they have treats for the furry ones.

Gabby actually mentioned you and the pups this morning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSariously
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2012

randomjive:Is there a flier or something that I can bring to businesses? I ride my bike to Downtown La Mesa fairly regularly and would like to see some of those business joining in.

Oh my goodness. I would just love to see DT La Mesa get in on this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSariously
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2012

lisi:Vilage Hat Shop at 3821 Fourth Avenue has just been added to the discount program and they are offering 12% off any regularly priced merchandise!

Let's give them some business!!

OMG I love this place! Had no idea they were now part of the program. AWE-SUM. I'm also going to have to check out this Kirk's coffee place.