Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2010 edited

I created a program called the San Diego Bike Commuter Discount Program. It's a very simple program, you simply ride your bike to a business and they give you a discount with no questions asked. No membership card, no secret handshake -- just show up on your bike.

Right now the program has a really solid list of high profile businesses that signed onto this program. Once we're live the businesses on the program will grow exponentially. I'm only allowing local and independent businesses to partake in this.

How does this help cycling? This helps boost your everyday cyclists doing errands. Now people will have a clear motivation to ride their bike to the local restaurant, bar, video shop or whatever. Part of this program is my working with the cities to get more (MUCH MORE) bike racks in front of businesses. South Park is already working hard on it as is North Park. Expect to see bike racks popping up everywhere.

How does this help business? Businesses can see lots of improvements. Now people have more motivated to go to an independent business over the big box business. Say you have a restaurant, nothing draws a crowd like a crowd but in most businesses you can't see all the people inside. Well, a bike rack full of bikes says to passers by this restaurant is popular, hip, young and green. In Portland businesses fight over the right to have bike corral parking because it's proven a winning strategy. Another huge plus is with all the cyclists going to the business you are freeing up loads of parking spots for drivers. A huge problem for businesses in Uptown and Downtown is the lack of car parking spots and i believe this is the best way possible to alleviate this issue. More people means more money.

How can you help? You can help spread the word with the public but I REALLY need you help when it comes to getting businesses on board with the program. For every business that you want a discount see if you can talk them into the program. Tell them all of their competitors are doing this.

I expect this program to be very large as it's proven to be a success at the businesses that have already signed onto the program in faith. These businesses are Alchemy, Sea Rocket, Blind Lady, Pearl Hotel and restaurant, Station Tavern, and Whistle Stop bar. I want to get tons more businesses on board and at that point i will do an all out advertising campaign in papers and on TV as the final push to get non-cyclists up to speed with the program.

Here is the wood sign and logo you want to look for in front of businesses:

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2010

Please print this image up and start handing it to your favorite businesses. Any type of local independent business is welcome.

• CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2010

Very well written. Thanks for the organization and effort. Time for Plan 'B!'
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2010 edited

Velo Cult:Please print this image up and start handing it to your favorite businesses. Any type of local independent business is welcome.

I'm not much of a biznusmun, but if there was some sort of standardized flyer that I could print out and take places, I would throw some in my bag and take them around town. Just something with the logo and a pitch so they don't think I'm some loony asking for a 10% discount...

Edit: Just noticed there's a "redX" box under your post. Might that be said flyer? Not showing up for me.

Edit Edit: Tried it with Firefox. Got the flyer. Done with Internet Explorer.

Cheers.
    • CommentAuthorRG3
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2010

wow , like this program Sky!!

i'm hoping some of business in north around 56-PQ-carmel mt-poway-mmesa will do the same, that'll be awesome ! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

RG3:wow , like this program Sky!!

i'm hoping some of business in north around 56-PQ-carmel mt-poway-mmesa will do the same, that'll be awesome ! :)

yeah, i think it will take off here in the uptown and downtown area and then i expect the rest of San Diego to get on board when they see how successful it is.
    Yesterday morning there was a dual web-site thing going on, I'm sure ya'll noticed, I'm just wondering where can I see the list of establishments that offer the discount?

Thank you.

By the way, I am in the Chula Vista area, it's sort of a long shot, but I wonder if some businesses on the "Third Avenue Village" would be interested. I live two minutes away and usually bike to the area or around it, so I could take some of the flyers.

http://www.thirdavenuevillage.com/directory.php?ID=7
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

soon the new version of this site will be up which will list all the businesses. here's what i can remember right now:

Velo Cult
    Station Tavern
    Alchemy
    The Pearl
    Blind Lady
    Park 2 Park Shuttle
    Whistlestop

yeah, if you can pitch it to the Third Avenue Village it would be fantastic. maybe start with their monthly business association to get a bunch of them at once. wait until this site gets updated though, it'll make it a lot easier. if you find out when the association meets i can make a presentation too. from there go door to door to businesses that weren't at the monthly meeting. im sure a lot of them will join.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010

Looks great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010 edited

OK, as you probably have noticed this discount program is official now. Please do what you can to get businesses on this program. it's up to the cycling community to make this thing rad. get anyone business you can to sign up. it's not a hard sell, you just need to explain the benefits well and most businesses will climb on board from my experience.
    • CommentAuthorluke

Well done sir.
    Awesome places as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

luke:Well done sir.
    Awesome places as well.

thanks. im stoked to have such good quality independent businesses to start this off. they should be good inspiration for other businesses to join in.
    • CommentAuthorHillbilly
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010

I'm really psyched about this too...awesome work Sky.
    • CommentAuthorevster

Thanks for your awesome work on this!

Maybe by the end of summer I can convince the wife to ride with me to the Blind Lady. That might be a bit of a long shot coming from PB but we can dream right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

evster, work on getting some PB businesses in the program. OB would be good for you too since the ride to OB is fantastic and car free from PB.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKathy

Love love love this!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010

I went to the Blind Lady today after the thrift ride and saw the discount program in use: It worked perfectly - great big SDBikeCommuter sign in the window (see picture below), no fuss to prove that we actually rode bikes - just great experience. They also have plenty of bike racks out front.

Hopefully this works well for the merchant, too - there must have been a dozen or more bicycling patrons visiting during the hour or so we were there. I predict this is going to take off - if you have an "in" with a retailer - please ask him to join!

Photobucket
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2010

It's a total long shot, but I've forwarded the infomtion to several independant Lemon Grove businesses. I'm not sure if they qualify as they don't end in Park, but I pitched it. The next time I go to that cafe Sam & I went to in La Mesa I'll see if I can chat to the owner there. Gotta make it worth my while to pedal around east county!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010

with minimal effort i have about 5 more businesses ready to sign up. by the end of the week they should all be on.

on Wednesday i go to speak in front of the North Park Business Association.
    • CommentAuthorHMeins

Knock 'em dead (figuratively)! The community is ready for this. We are on the cutting edge of the next big paradigm reset. Let's make it work and enjoy the ride!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

a Chiropractor in Encinitas just signed up. i'll update the site in a few days to reflect the new businesses.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010

they are signing up left and right. please help by letting you favorite businesses know about it.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Printed out the flyers today. Hitting up Krakatoa Luigis Pizza and Grants Market today. Do you think we should call out the places we're trying so we don't double up?

Cheers!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

not at all, i think as many people as possible should show up with fliers. try to talk to the owners directly. simply e-mailing them can work too. i think Luigi's and Grants would be very open to this.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Velo Cult:not at all, i think as many people as possible should show up with fliers. try to talk to the owners directly. simply e-mailing them can work too. i think Luigi's and Grants would be very open to this.

Cool. I was talking to Jeff at Blind Lady last weekend and he mentioned that it might be a better sell if you say that only certain things could have the discount, say, something they want to move more of, or something that has a higher profit margin, like sandwiches or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

the discount is totally up to the business. so far most of the businesses are doing strait discounts across the board but they can offer whatever they think is best. i tell them that they'll get what they put in. offer a small discount and you'll likely only get a few new people in your door. do a big discount and get a whole shit load of people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Santo's Coffee Shop in North Park just signed up as did Blueprint contracting if you are looking to get some mill work done.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Velo Cult: do a big discount and get a whole shit load of people.

I will be sure to cite this verbatim. Prolly shoulda put it in the flyer.:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010

just signed up Alwayz In clothing store. they actually have really good prices to begin with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2010

i just signed up Daily Scoup Ice Cream Shop and the new store in South Park called Make Good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev

Velo Cult:Santo's Coffee Shop in North Park just signed up as did Blueprint contracting if you are looking to get some mill work done.

Yay! I love Santos!!
    • CommentAuthorHillbilly

Bev:
    Velo Cult:Santo's Coffee Shop in North Park just signed up as did Blueprint contracting if you are looking to get some mill work done.

Yay! I love Santos!!

Ditto. Santos is my favorite local coffee shop.
    Sky, you should really turn the discount list into an RSS feed.

It would be much more convenient to have on a mobile phone - easy to bookmark in a browser, easy to put on the home screen of an iPhone, loads much faster, text displays much better, etc.

I know I'd use this list a LOT if I could have one-click access on my iPhone.

For special credit, with a few hours' worth of work, someone could turn it into an iPhone or Android app. (http://www.websitemagazine.com/content/blogs/website_magazine_consumer_corner/archive/2008/10/22/turn-your-rss-feed-into-an-iphone-app-in-minutes.aspx)

--

Another suggestion - link to the PDF of the flyer on the discount page.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2010

it all sounds great. way over my head though. i have no idea how to do any of that. i can barely follow the terminology. i would need help with all of it. im already stretched thin handling all these businesses that im signing up.
    Also, it'd be a good idea to put that photo of the sign in the BLAH window somewhere on that home page as well, next to another with a bike rack full of bikes. That stuff communicates to people on a visceral level far faster than words.

You should also (if you can) say bluntly what it means to a business . 'Get more customers with fewer parking hassles.' Or something like that. Something a harried, busy entrepreneur can process in 1 second or less. Stuff like that really helps to sell people on the idea.

Take those for what they are, it's stuff I've picked up in the business to business work I do at Intuit. It doesn't have to be cheesy, and It won't cheapen it if you do it right.

BTW, very nice work. I passed it on to a couple folks I know in city planning and community development. Hopefully they'll contact you for a writeup.
    Velo Cult:it all sounds great. way over my head though. i have no idea how to do any of that. i can barely follow the terminology. i would need help with all of it. im already stretched thin handling all these businesses that im signing up.

RSS feeds are super easy to set up, and don't need to change the page at all.

When you add new businesses, you'll have to do everything twice at first, since you'll basically be making another version of the data that people link to directly - an .XML file instead of an .HTML. (Here's the technical explanation, if you're curious. http://www.isitebuild.com/rss/rss-feed.htm)

Ping me offline, I'll help you set it up.
    I'm rolling the one for the business links by hand, just for expediency's sake.
    If it really takes off, you'll need to roll them into some sort of content management thing, like WordPress or something. Those have RSS built in now usually.

For a forum, you need something that's built in.
    Check out the Vanilla RSS plugins. From my short search, it looks like they have a few:

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/304/feed-publisher
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/419/feedthis
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/73/rss2-feed

Hope that helps!
    Used the discount at Blind Lady today. Felt a little guilty since I live about half a block away, so I started with a 10 mile loop down Park, over and up Fern and 30th. Blind Lady had a screen down for the World Cup game. Great time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2010

no need to feel guilty. as they see it they are getting customers and money for virtually nothing. think of all the advertising money that goes into "maybe" getting a customer or two. this program gets them customers that they don't have to spend a penny on. you are also helping them. they honestly want 50 bikes parked in front of their business and you helped them with that.
    I'd feel guilty about getting on my bike and only riding it half a block anywhere. I think the bike would be a little sad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

I've been handing out flyers in North County all week. Hopefully we'll get some places to sign up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

so far no businesses have contacted me from North County. i think they'll be the slowest to catch on to the program but eventually they will. once they see how successful it is in Uptown they'll fall in line. just keep telling them about it so they get a sense of the demand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

For those that prefer to print or distribute the flyer in PDF format instead of JPG - here it is.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Njord Noatun:For those that prefer to print or distribute the flyer in PDF format instead of JPG - here it is.

Showed up, but said it was not able to print as there were no pages selected to print. I've never had this problem.
    • CommentAuthorHillbilly

t.e.d:
    Njord Noatun:For those that prefer to print or distribute the flyer in PDF format instead of JPG - here it is.

Showed up, but said it was not able to print as there were no pages selected to print. I've never had this problem.

Sweet - I printed up a few to throw in my bag. I'll start handing them out to all my favorite places when I stop by from now on.

t.e.d - it printed ok for me...maybe check your local print/PDF settings?
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Yeah. I figured it was something with my settings. I printed a bunch from the jpeg so I'm good to go for now. Just thought they'd look nicer printed from the PDF.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbatmick
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010

Hey snowman, just because we do things differently up here (and may be a little slow) doesn't mean you can rag on us like that. :face-devil-grin:

•  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill

I'm pretty sure I will get La Costa Roasters to sign up. I may be able to get Honey's and Swami's to sign up as well. Ditto E-Street Cafe.

I know these owners.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Rebecca's Coffee Shop just signed up. 10% off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Velo Cult:Rebecca's Coffee Shop just signed up. 10% off.
    That'll save me a few thousand a year...