Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010

is anybody game for sweeping a small area once in a while with flyers? like we could pick 30th street and sweep all the independent businesses with flyers on a Saturday. it's this kind of program that will get more people riding and the more people that are riding the higher the likelihood that the drivers will respect the cyclists and also the higher the likelihood that our elected officials will think like a cyclist. keep in mind too that this is the one thing that San Diego has over the rest of the country. We finally have something cool for the bike community that ahead of the rest of the bike towns. im positive cities like Portland, Austin, Davis, etc will do the same. we were first for once instead of 5 years behind.
    batmick:Hey snowman, just because we do things differently up here (and may be a little slow) doesn't mean you can rag on us like that. :face-devil-grin:

lol

I lived there for 15 years or so, I think I earned the right to razz a little bit

I got tired of the deep tans and bleached hair, now in my areas it's tattoos and black dye
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010 edited

Here's a more updated list of the businesses that have signed on. Tomorrow I present the program to about 100 different businesses at a business mixer at my shop so hopefully I can get a bunch more by the end of the week. Please pass out the flyers to your local businesses. It's up to all of us to make this happen. This is the fastest way i know of to get non-riders riding their bikes.

Alchemy Restaurant
    Alwayz In
    Blind Lady Ale House
    Blueprint Contracting
    Cordin Blosiu Chiropractor
    Daily Scoop Ice Cream Shop
    Junc
    BoutiquePark 2 Park Shuttle
    Pearl Hotel
    Rebecca's Coffee Shop
    Santo's Coffee Shop
    Sea Rocket Bistro
    Station Tavern
    Velo Cult Bike Shop
    Whistle Stop Bar

We will keep the most up to date list in the first post of this thread.
    Used the discount at Blind Lady this weekend and was surprised to learn that it was valid on beer too. Sweet.

Has anyone covered East Village yet (Basic, Java Jones, East Village Tavern & Bowl, The Kabob Shop etc)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010

Nope, none of them have been hit. Virtually no businesses have. I've only had time to get a few on board. Even if you think a business has been hit already go ahead and do it again. The more people that ask for it the more likely they will sign up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Thanks to Sam the discount side of the page has been populated with more of the participating businesses. Go have a look.
    So I went into Velo Cult to get new tires for my single speed and totally forgot to ask for the discount...hahahah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

I've done the same. It can be hard to remember to ask about the discount.
    I dropped off a flyer at Lestat's today. I'm hoping they sign up, they're open 24hrs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010

awesome. thanks!
    • CommentAuthordiggety2
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010

This is so great, guys! Now if I can just remember to ask for my discount...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMhotai

Thanks for your help in spreading the word - Sky's been working tirelessly on this program. It's a win/win situation for businesses and cyclists. We should plan future Down Townies rides to support businesses already signed up with the program.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Make Good in South Park just posted this

Make Good in South Park is offering a 25% discount off of a vintage camera tee to everyone who rides their bicycle to the store.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

• CommentAuthort.e.d

Velo Cult:Make Good in South Park just posted this

Make Good in South Park is offering a 25% discount off of a vintage camera tee to everyone who rides their bicycle to the store.

Went in the other day. Those shirts are rad. I'll have to get one now.
    • CommentAuthorHillbilly
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010

^Ditto...I love those shirts, looks like I'll have to get one now.

Velo Cult:True North Tavern and Vagabond restaurant just agreed to join!

Wow...I'm actually very amazed that True North is participating. That is really cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010

It is cool. They don't have the sign yet but they did agree to the program quite easily. In the next couple of days they will have a sign and will be official and at that point they will be added to the site.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2010

Halycon Tea is the latest to sign up. They are offering 10% off of all their products in the store. They are in South Park across the street from Alchemy Restaurant who's also in the program.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

I saw a place on Upas yesterday with no signage but a discount sign in the window. It's right next to Bluefoot bar. What is this place?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

t.e.d:I saw a place on Upas yesterday with no signage but a discount sign in the window. It's right next to Bluefoot bar. What is this place?

That's Blueprint Contracting. They can make you furniture. The same people opening a pet food store right near there soon too. The pet food store will also be a part of the program.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Right on. Shana and I are actually looking to get a dining set and couch. I'll hit them up.

Thanks Sky.
    • CommentAuthorHillbilly
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010

Velo Cult:Halycon Tea is the latest to sign up. They are offering 10% off of all their products in the store. They are in South Park across the street from Alchemy Restaurant who's also in the program.

Nice...they are good people and my wife loves their tea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Toronado is the latest to sign up. 10% off of everything at the bar anytime so long as you arrive on a bicycle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev

t.e.d:I saw a place on Upas yesterday with no signage but a discount sign in the window. It's right next to Bluefoot bar. What is this place?

I was a bit perplexed by this too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev

I had a chat & dropped a flyer off at Smoking Goat when we had dinner there. I'm not sure the flyer got to the right hands as the owners weren't there when we were eating.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Thanks for dropping off that flyer Bev.
    Velo Cult:Toronado is the latest to sign up. 10% off of everything at the bar anytime so long as you arrive on a bicycle.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2010 edited

The new North Park restaurant El Take It Easy signed up today. 10% off the entire bill if you ride your bike there. The same owner owns The Linkery.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010

Velo Cult:Toronado is the latest to sign up. 10% off of everything at the bar anytime so long as you arrive on a bicycle.

Asked for the discount with my pint, and just kinda stared at the bartender when she asked to see my helmet... I don't wear one around town, and told her that. I didn't think there were any helmet rules with this program. I'm confused.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Well, I left it up to the business to decide how they want to figure out if someone has a bike or not. I tell them it's best to "look for a helmet" or ask to see the bike. I also tell them that it doesn't really matter either way so long as that person is going to their location and not another business. So, basically it's up to them to decide how they want to go about that. If a business wants to promote people wearing helmets and riding bicycles it's their decision to make. Did you end up getting the discount?
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Yeah, after I offered to "unlock" my bike and showed her the key, she sighed and got me my change. I guess some places are just taking longer to embrace the awesomeness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2010

t.e.d:Asked for the discount with my pint, and just kinda stared at the bartender when she asked to see my helmet.
    I wonder if showing off the ever-present chainring grease mark on my right calf would suffice in lieu of a helmet?
    :face-monkey:
    • CommentAuthorBrandon
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010 edited

Awesome program! I think I know a couple shops that would be interested in putting PB on the discount map. Crown Point Coffee would be a great candidate but they don't have a bike rack. I'm just thinking out loud, but a custom SD commuter bike rack for businesses to use would be really cool.
    • CommentAuthorBrandon
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010

I dropped off a flyer at Crown Point Coffee this morning, the owner seems interested and asked if I knew a good place to get a deal on a bike rack. She wants to convert one of the parking spaces in the corner of the lot. Any suggestions?
    Njord Noatun:
    t.e.d:Asked for the discount with my pint, and just kinda stared at the bartender when she asked to see my helmet.
    I wonder if showing off the ever-present chainring grease mark on my right calf would suffice in lieu of a helmet?
    :face-monkey:

That thing never seems to go away!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010

Brandon:I dropped off a flyer at Crown Point Coffee this morning, the owner seems interested and asked if I knew a good place to get a deal on a bike rack. She wants to convert one of the parking spaces in the corner of the lot. Any suggestions?

Yeah, when they contact me about the program I can talk to them about racks. We have access to all the major brands and we can offer a good price so they can be a part of the program.
    I was at the whistle stop last night, asked for the discount, and got a dollar off per pint. I think that's actually 20%. Not bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010 edited

Today on a cold call I got 30th Street Cafe to sign up. They are new and have coffee and simple sandwiches. Pretty cool guy actually. 10% off of the whole menu.

30th Street Cafe
    Map It 3620 30th Street
    North Park , CA 92104
    (619) 269-7966

Oh, and this is the very first advertising this little one man operation has ever done. Very cool of him to support cyclists with his first bit of advertising money.
    thats pretty cool...ill check the place out for sure
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2010

Today we got

Mosaic Wine Bar (I think it was 10% off. don't go in quite yet, they still need to update the staff on what's going on and finalize what the discount is going to be)

Sicilian Thing. (10% off)
    YES for wine
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2010

If anyone else collects vinyl, thought you'd like to know that M-theory has expressed interest in the program... more to follow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

Cool. Thanks for talking to M-Theory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

t.e.d:If anyone else collects vinyl
    If we could get Record City onboard, I would be in - well - vinyl heaven!
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Njord Noatun:
    t.e.d:If anyone else collects vinyl
    If we could get Record City onboard, I would be in - well - vinyl heaven!

That would be rad. I'll mention it to Graham, but I doubt the owner would go for it. We'll see. I'm going to talk to Off the Record too.
    t.e.d:If anyone else collects vinyl, thought you'd like to know that M-theory has expressed interest in the program... more to follow.

YEAH!!!!!
    has anyone asked jakes on 6th? i'm going there tonight and am more than happy to talk to them, but i didn't want to if someone already asked them about the program.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2010

raleighrider:has anyone asked jakes on 6th? i'm going there tonight and am more than happy to talk to them, but i didn't want to if someone already asked them about the program.

I had this thought too. I think, as long as it's not the same person asking again and again, it can only help the program to have different people promoting the program.
    My regimen has been to go to Grants, Krakatoa, Luigis, M-Theory, and a couple others about once a month. If anyone else wants to hit those places up, it can only help.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

t.e.d:
    raleighrider:has anyone asked jakes on 6th? i'm going there tonight and am more than happy to talk to them, but i didn't want to if someone already asked them about the program.

I had this thought too. I think, as long as it's not the same person asking again and again, it can only help the program to have different people promoting the program.
    My regimen has been to go to Grants, Krakatoa, Luigis, M-Theory, and a couple others about once a month. If anyone else wants to hit those places up, it can only help.

Exactly.

If at all humanly possible see if you can get the business owners business card too. It helps when I have their e-mail address so I can send them links. So many businesses don't list an e-mail address. Off the top of my head I know I need one still for Luigi's and Lefty's.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Not sure that Luigis actually HAS an email... or a business license... haha. Busy dude. Damn good pizza though.