Not signed in (Sign In)
    i left a flier at lestats some weeks ago, the manager wasn't there so the barista said he'd hand it over but i don't think it ever got to him. I'm gonna try to actually speak to the manager personally.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2010

cobraeverde:i left a flier at lestats some weeks ago, the manager wasn't there so the barista said he'd hand it over but i don't think it ever got to him. I'm gonna try to actually speak to the manager personally.

Happens to me most of the time. I've started asking if there's a certain day that the owner is usually there. Most managers can't do a whole lot more than employees, so I've found it's best to talk to the owner.
    ^^^

yeah! wish i would have figured that out sooner...haha. hopefully they'll join, they're open 24hrs!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2010

I know someone that knows the owner of LeStats. I'll send him off an e-mail.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2010

I've been considering this for some time but now I think I will go ahead with it.

$15 store credit for anyone who directly signs a locally owned independent business to the program.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d

Velo Cult:I've been considering this for some time but now I think I will go ahead with it.

$15 store credit for anyone who directly signs a locally owned independent business to the program.

Nice. How will you know who talked to them?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult

You are going to half to tell me. Once they officially sign on I will get you the $15 gift certificate
    • CommentAuthorkyle
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010

^ cool! I told some businesses around PB and Bird Rock. They all said they'd look in to it, but I think they would've signed up by now if they were going to do it. I told Mr. Frostie and Tap Room in PB. And I told Bird Rock Roasters in... Bird Rock.

All three businesses get a decent amount of bike traffic already and I thought they could get behind this. But it doesn't seem like there's as much interest in the beach areas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010

Right on. Just keep telling people. Eventually they will sign on. Now that they know about it, it makes it easier for me to walk in there. I know the owner of Bird Rock Coffee so im pretty sure he'll sign on now. If it works out I will get you that gift certificate.
    • CommentAuthorkyle
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2010

^Thanks, Sky. But don't sweat it on Bird Rock Roasters. Don't you worry; I'll let you know if I feel like I got someone to sign on!
    • CommentAuthorslobiker
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2010 edited

1...2...3 dummy post. apologies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2010 edited

We just added the La Jolla location of Panikin. Soon I hope the other locations will jump on too. 10% off everything

Panikin
    La Jolla Café

7467 Girard Ave.
    La Jolla, CA 92037
    858-454-5453
    Mon-Fri 6pm-7pm
    Sat-Sun 6:30am-7p
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2010

I also signed up Surf Indian in PB. It's a sort of surf art gallery and board shop. 10% off of everything but surfboards

Surfindian
    4658 Mission Blvd.
    Pacific Beach, CA 92109
    858-412-5334
    http://www.surfindian.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2010 edited

Velo Cult:Panikin.
    Velo Cult: Surf Indian.
    Great - Panikin's in LJ is useful for me. Their PCH location would be useful, too - but they get so many cyclists I have no idea how they would manage it. I will get the web site updated accordingly.

And I just discovered that the S.F. Bicycle Coalition is running a discount programme for their members which is similar to ours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2010

And I just discovered that the S.F. Bicycle Coalition is running a discount programme for their members which is similar to ours.

That's for members. Our plan is mostly designed for non-cyclists. They should follow suit. Getting everybody to ride is the goal of our program.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikingbill
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010

Velo Cult:We just added the La Jolla location of Panikin. Soon I hope the other locations will jump on too. 10% off everything

Panikin
    La Jolla Café

7467 Girard Ave.
    La Jolla, CA 92037
    858-454-5453
    Mon-Fri 6pm-7pm

Hope Del Mar and Leucadia joins in. I'd go to the Leucadia one much more often if they had this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2010

bikingbill:
    Velo Cult:We just added the La Jolla location of Panikin. Soon I hope the other locations will jump on too. 10% off everything

Panikin
    La Jolla Café

7467 Girard Ave.
    La Jolla, CA 92037
    858-454-5453
    Mon-Fri 6pm-7pm

Hope Del Mar and Leucadia joins in. I'd go to the Leucadia one much more often if they had this.

The La Jolla location said they would bring it up to the other locations. Fingers crossed.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2010 edited

Looks like the SF program is pretty open after all. Don't know much about it, but perhaps some flyers to paste around town might drum up more support...?

• CommentAuthorsurlygurl
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2010

Rode my bike to Alchemy to meet a friend for brunch. When the bill arrived, it didn't include the discount so I asked the server and she apologized and made the adjustment. I had my helmet on the seat next to me and wondered if that would be noticed so I wouldn't have to ask for the discount. But it wasn't a big deal and I will definitely go back. Their discount is generous and I love the food and atmosphere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd

Unless the customer makes the request, it is unrealistic to expect that the merchant will automatically apply the discount.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBev

I don't usually have a helmet with me, nor do I have a bike lock key (combo Kryptonite), but I have no problem rolling the bike in if they don't mind.
    • CommentAuthorsurlygurl

Njord Noatun:Unless the customer makes the request, it is unrealistic to expect that the merchant will automatically apply the discount.

Actually, I don't think it is unrealistic. I would think that the staff would be aware of the program and maybe even promote it a bit. Like, "Hey, I see you rode your bike here-that's great! Did you know you get a discount for that?" or something along those lines. But I wasn't upset about it or anything and it wasn't a problem getting a revised check.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2010 edited

surlygurl: Like, "Hey, I see you rode your bike here-that's great! Did you know you get a discount for that?"
    You raise a very good point: It may be as important to promote the program to merchant employees as it is to the general public: It can be awkward for the bike-riding customer to ask for the discount if the employee has no clue about the program details, or even its existence, at the very retail outlet they are working.
    • CommentAuthorAlanKHG
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010 edited

Pannikin La Jolla employees say that the program is an awesome idea but haven't heard anything about it from their bosses. They do have a sign in their front door. It might be good to ask bosses to brief employees?

I didn't push them for the discount as it would have been 15 cents.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010

I'll send them an e-mail about that.
    • CommentAuthorxmedic
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2010

My girlfriend Jen and I rode by the Sea Rocket today and decided to have a late lunch, Dang the food and service was great and the SDBC discount paid for a piece of amazing cheesecake...
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010 edited

I just signed up both locations of The Undercarriage in North Park and Golden Hill. She actually contacted me which I'm very excited about. Ladies, this one's for you. And Fellas, this one's also for you. 15% off all services.
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2010 edited

Velo Cult:I just signed up both locations of The Undercarriage in North Park and Golden Hill. She actually contacted me which I'm very excited about. Ladies, this one's for you. And Fellas, this one's also for you. 15% off all services.

Have to stop off here before hitting up the "Man Trail" tonight... haha

I wonder if she signed up knowing it wouldn't get used that much considering clients would have to ride home after the appointment...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2010

Businesses are seriously piling on at this point. I have not been doing any leg work either which is a good sign. They just keep coming to me

South Park Doctor
    Tara Zandvliet M.D.
    2991 Kalmia St
    San Diego CA 92104
    619-929-0032

10% OFF
    http://www.southparkdoctor.com/

---------------------

Bergé Garcia
    Salon Tonic
    www.berge-salontonic.com
    1532 India St.
    San Diego, 92101
    619-602-3205

15% off

---------------------------

Til-Two Club
    http://www.tiltwoclub.com/
    4746 El Cajon Boulevard, San Diego, CA 92115
    (619) 516-4746

10% off

--------------------------

Herbin Acupuncture & Wellness
    3594 5th ave.
    San Diego, 92103
    619-564-8308
    herbinacupuncture.com
    10% discount
    acupuncture
    chiropractic
    energy work
    massage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2010 edited

In a couple of weeks Fresh Stop Produce on 32nd and Thorn in North Park will be joining the program. They are just waiting until I get the new signs made.
    • CommentAuthorT
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2010

While on my way to Velo Cult on Saturday, I stopped by "Progress" the craft / gift store that shares the building with Velo Cult. The owner had said she had talked to Sky about it a few times, and liked the idea but kept forgetting the web-address. I wrote it on a card for her and she said she would come in and sign up very soon. She gave me the 10% discount as if she had the program and she said it would be nice if everyone in the building was part of the program. Hopefully she signs up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2010

Cool, I need to follow up with her.
    • CommentAuthorxmedic
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010 edited

Hello all,

I would like to offer all of you an opportunity for affordable health care, education and relaxation during the busy holiday season.
    My offer is a full consultation, Acupuncture and Massage by appointment for the low price of $40 for the next four consecutive Sundays (12/19, 12/26, 1/2, 1/9) at Herbin Acupuncture and Wellness (3594 5th Ave.)
    I have been involved in health care for over twenty five years, studying and practicing Acupuncture for the past twelve years and currently am completing my Doctorate degree in family medicine.
    This is a great opportunity to address any health or quality of life issues that concern you as well as relax and learn more about yourself tied in with a Sunday bike ride...

Jeffrey Kroll, L.Ac., M.S.
    (619) 665-2295

This is going well so far and I plan on continuing this special for commuters as long as there is interest...
    • CommentAuthorzonal
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010

At the Buffalo Exchange on 5th just south of University, the manager and a couple of employees who I spoke with were so excited to learn of the Tweed Ride while I was fliering that they said I could post the flier right in the window.
    So I posted a pair back-to-back outdoors/indoors with the indoors side right above their community events fliers space (see photo below).
    When I told the manager about the Bike Commuter Discount Program, she enthusiastically wrote her name down on a card and asked to be contacted about it, saying that she was definitely interested.
    This spot is a favorite of mine for recycled threads so I'm stoked!
    Sky, please contact manager Julie Elliott at the store at 3862 5th Ave. at 619-298-4411 (public store phone number).

•  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorHillbilly
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2010

^^That's awesome...I would LOVE a Buffalo Exchange discount!
    • CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2011

Hey all,
    Just wanted to say that Shana and I took up Jeff (Xmedic) on his SDBC Discount services and he's awesome. We've gone twice and had nothing but the best experience both times. I would've never thought I'd try acupuncture, but it really is almost painless and with some positive thought to go with the treatment, it really works.
    Thanks again Jeff. See you soon, and keep up the good work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2011

Right on. Jeff is the man.
    • CommentAuthorxmedic
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2011

Thank you both for the kind words and support. :face-angel:
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2011

Two more businesses were added today.

Salon on 30th 10% discount -

Euro Pilates 10% discount -
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2011

On the facebook event page for the discount program someone posted this:

Very, very cool! Sorry I can't be there, it's simply too long of a bike ride from Copenhagen. But if it helps, me and my study partner, Anne Grethe, are (among other things) writing about the SD discount program as a very interesting way to incorporate bicycle culture as a part of everyday life in our master thesis. So a big thumbs up from the cold, cold Copenhagen!

We have been getting national attention for this and now apparently international attention. It's crazy how this little idea is growing. Makes me wonder what cities will be doing something just like this 5 years from now. In 5 years how big and how crazy will it be in San Diego I wonder.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorVelo Cult
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2011

Here's the short that was premiered last at last nights party. Thanks again to Andrew, Sea Rocket and Bicycle Coalition for making this short happen. Please spread it across the internet.

Really cool idea. Can't wait to see it in person around SD.
    The San Diego Bike Union is now administering the discount program! This week we start a "business of the week" feature and encourage you to patronize your locally owned bike-friendly businesses!

SDBikeCommuter Business of the Week: Sea Rocket Bistro
    •  
      CommentAuthorSigurd
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2011

Went to Infusions of Tea today. Had a long and pleasant chat with the server (what is the tea house equivalent of "barista", anyways?), Joe, about running, riding and everything in between, and some great tea and a croissant.

Upon checkout, he offered the SDBikeCommuter discount without even being prompted (it had temporarily slipped my mind they were part of the program).

Way to go, thanks Joe!

• CommentAuthort.e.d
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2011

That's so rad to hear. I wish more of the businesses acted that way.
    I ran into to bike tourist from Canada passing through on their way to Costa Rica. We had dinner together at the Station. Thanks to Dustin our waiter for giving us the discount without us even asking. It was awesome!!

Bike Commuter Discount
    •  
      CommentAuthorGeoff
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2011 edited

So, my favorite little coffee roaster (Cafe Moto in Logan Heights), finally opened their cafe for coffee service. Hooray! They are directly on my route to work, and open early enough that I can stop by for a cup on the way. Again, hooray! However, they have not added any bike parking. Boo! I'm going to stop in tomorrow and ask them if it's something they would consider adding, and if they're interested in the commuter discount program. I'll let everyone know the results. If anyone has suggestions on successful approach pitches, I'm all ears. Also, if folks in the neighborhood want to stop by, we could prove that cyclists will come if businesses provide parking infrastructure.

UPDATE: Stopped by this morning and had a nice conversation with Tom (also a Velo customer) about bikes, business, and touring. He mentioned they were looking into bike parking in the form of hooks, but said that in the meantime the shop was friendly to rolling inside (there's enough room for a few). I handed over a commuter flyer, and he said he had meant to look into the program. So, there you go. Hopefully a new member, and in a drastically different area than the rest of the participants. Check 'em out!
    • CommentAuthorHMeins
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2011

Owner Torrey Lee's father, Bob Sinclair, founded the Pannikin. His passion for collecting vintage motorcycles led to the name "Cafe Moto" for the coffee roasting operation. Torrey assumed ownership of Cafe Moto in 1998.

Cafe Moto is the anti-Starbucks. "Charbucks" roasts all its beans so dark that any trace of varietal flavor and bouquet is burned away. The longer beans are roasted the more caffeine burns away, so for unrepentant coffee fiends like myself a light "full city" roast is ideal. With the Starbucks roast a $40/pound Jamaican Blue Mountain is going to have the same homogenized burnt taste as a $6 Colombian Supremo, not that there's anything wrong with good Colombian beans.

Even at Trader Joe's there are around 15 different dark roasts, all of which taste identical. Their rationale for offering only two medium roasts and no full city roasts is that "dark roast sells." Dark roasts are fine for making espresso, but I want to taste the subtleties and individualities of the various beans. One the best I have tried recently is Cafe Moto's Ethiopian Yrgascheffe. It is delicious and electric in its caffeine content!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaul
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2011

mileco:So, my favorite little coffee roaster (Cafe Moto in Logan Heights), finally opened their cafe for coffee service. Hooray! They are directly on my route to work, and open early enough that I can stop by for a cup on the way. Again, hooray! However, they have not added any bike parking. Boo! I'm going to stop in tomorrow and ask them if it's something they would consider adding, and if they're interested in the commuter discount program. I'll let everyone know the results. If anyone has suggestions on successful approach pitches, I'm all ears. Also, if folks in the neighborhood want to stop by, we could prove that cyclists will come if businesses provide parking infrastructure.

One of the barristas actually asked us to bring our bikes inside, instead of leaving them out front-- no idea why. The other barista, Tom, is a bike geek/collector, so he's the guy you probably want to approach. Either way, great coffee and cool people.